Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Impending 20 minute video to own Something Awful forums user “Kim Justice.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Imagine, briefly, that someone linked one of your videos here and wrote 'no-one gives a poo poo about spectrum games from the 80s, this is pointless fluff'

You might not, in fact, be the target audience for this particular article about a video game, or even several of them, and that might actually not be worth being upset about

*Sigh*...maybe you're right. I mean, I'm most certainly not the target audience, and I've certainly devoted too much emotion to it. I just get...frustrated? Look at the comments on Kotaku's Tweet and the article - it's just another artificial salt mine. You've got one side being all like "THIS IS ANOTHER ATTACK ON GAMERS", you've got the other side being like "You're too dumb to get it" and I find it all supremely tiresome. While Grayson's article itself isn't necessarily worthy of such reactions, the presentation and title don't help, as much as the kneejerk reactions? (Yes...including mine) Just makes me throw my hands up and be all like ffs. Like, even articles like these are suddenly flashpoints in THE GREAT PATRIOTIC CULTURE WAR

I'm tired brah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anxiety sucks. It’s why I don’t play games.

And when I do, I get anxious. Vicious cycle.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Hbomberguy posted:

Imagine, briefly, that someone linked one of your videos here and wrote 'no-one gives a poo poo about spectrum games from the 80s, this is pointless fluff'

You might not, in fact, be the target audience for this particular article about a video game, or even several of them, and that might actually not be worth being upset about

Just because you're not the target audience doesn't mean that you're incapable of judging whether or not something's bad. I could say that about you, HBomb. You might say, "Well, Monster Hunter is a really bad series", and I could say, "It's not that the series is bad, you're just not the target audience."

The article sucks because it doesn't really have a point; it's just Grayson going "Man, I don't know how to be nice around these seemingly nice OW players!" It's not really about Overwatch. It brings up the point of the game's toxic community, but that's not really relevant to the crux of the article. I'd call it navel-gazing, but even that doesn't feel appropriate.

It actually feels more like the beginning of another article, only separated out. It's like if this were a lead in to a longer article about anxiety in relation to social interaction in video game, and it discussed studies or how other people cope or deal with that kind of thing, then it would feel more appropriate. As it is, it's just kind of a nothing article. It probably annoys people because you say, "The problem with OW's community is that players are too toxic", but then you turn around and have an article like this, with the headline, "OW's Nicest Players Are Giving Me Anxiety", and it comes across that you just complain regardless of the situation.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 7, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anxiety is so bad you should not write articles about it. It will become nonsense and people will resent you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

*Sigh*...maybe you're right. I mean, I'm most certainly not the target audience, and I've certainly devoted too much emotion to it. I just get...frustrated? Look at the comments on Kotaku's Tweet and the article - it's just another artificial salt mine. You've got one side being all like "THIS IS ANOTHER ATTACK ON GAMERS", you've got the other side being like "You're too dumb to get it" and I find it all supremely tiresome. While Grayson's article itself isn't necessarily worthy of such reactions, the presentation and title don't help, as much as the kneejerk reactions? (Yes...including mine) Just makes me throw my hands up and be all like ffs. Like, even articles like these are suddenly flashpoints in THE GREAT PATRIOTIC CULTURE WAR

I'm tired brah

seems pretty easy to not type in kotaku.com into your web browser

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Serf posted:

seems pretty easy to not type in kotaku.com into your web browser

True, but you have less control over what you Twitter feed shows you.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/971117945404428288
https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/971120728404832257

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Man, twitter shows you tweets from Slowbeef? I'm sorry to hear that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Slowbeef is a good boy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

True, but you have less control over what you Twitter feed shows you.

seems pretty easy to not click on articles that will just make you mad from sites you don’t like

but if your point is that corporations have deliberately engineered this incredible communications tool into an endless hellscape then yes i agree

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leal posted:

Man, twitter shows you tweets from Slowbeef? I'm sorry to hear that.

I mean, I guess I could stop following him. When I stopped following Bob Mackey's Twitter, my feed got 200% better! However, I like Slowbeef, and I think he needs the support.

Yardbomb posted:

Slowbeef is a good boy.

:letsplay:

Serf posted:

seems pretty easy to not click on articles that will just make you mad from sites you don’t like

but if your point is that corporations have deliberately engineered this incredible communications tool into an endless hellscape then yes i agree

Again, that's true. I would argue that the excuse, "If you don't like, then don't read/watch it or bring it up" has been dismissed, but maybe it depends on the context.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

Why don't you talk properly? Is the thing "thinking an article is crap"?

EDIT: Like, this baity fluff is 99% of what constitutes games journalism, to me that's frustrating. It's not deep*

*That's what he said

I mean, I've had crippling social anxiety too, and I kinda related to that article, but okay.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 8, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Augus posted:

I mean, I've had crippling social anxiety too, and I kinda related to that article, but okay.

Like I said, an article about anxiety in relation to social interaction in video games would be interesting, but the article in question doesn't seem like it digs into it deep enough.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 8, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Again, that's true. I would argue that the excuse, "If you don't like, then don't read/watch it or bring it up" has been dismissed, but maybe it depends on the context.

seems like if its causing the commenter in question stress, maybe just avoid it. i do understand the impulse to seek out things you don't like, of course. i sustain myself on poo poo that i hate

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I can't believe we're getting derailed by that article, of all things.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The Ready Player One movie posters are the kind of thing you might want to see exactly once. Twitter is really bad about that kind of stuff.

I've seen various forms of people dunking on the Frankenstein sun article a ton over the past few days. Probably 3 different viral tweets about it and one of them more than once.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Max Wilco posted:

Just because you're not the target audience doesn't mean that you're incapable of judging whether or not something's bad. I could say that about you, HBomb. You might say, "Well, Monster Hunter is a really bad series", and I could say, "It's not that the series is bad, you're just not the target audience."
I haven't reviewed monster hunter beyond small jokes for the precise reason that it definitely is not for me. So I would agree with you there, actually: I haven't made videos about monster hunter for the same reason it would be odd to critique a gaming website op ed someone wrote about the feelings a game gave them on the basis that it fails to be majorly substantive analysis.

"What is this, some kind of game journal?"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I haven't reviewed monster hunter beyond small jokes for the precise reason that it definitely is not for me. So I would agree with you there, actually: I haven't made videos about monster hunter for the same reason it would be odd to critique a gaming website op ed someone wrote about the feelings a game gave them on the basis that it fails to be majorly substantive analysis.

"What is this, some kind of game journal?"

I was wondering why you hadn't done a video about Monster Hunter, but I guess that makes sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Slowbeef is a good boy.

Speaking of, The Beef has some Thoughts on RP1 that any sane person would benefit from hearing.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I can't believe we're getting derailed by that article, of all things.

Is this really a derail? No one's flaming each other, the page isn't full of spoilers...anyway, I've said my piece and am "over it" as they say.

Mr. Biffo (who did the weird "Found Footage" last year) is going to be relaunching his classic teletext game mag Digitiser in YouTube form on Kickstarter tomorrow, which is VERY exciting.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I've said my piece and am "over it" as they say.

Kim justice confirmed to not be hbomb

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Is this really a derail? No one's flaming each other, the page isn't full of spoilers...anyway, I've said my piece and am "over it" as they say.

I mean, when it's taking up the majority of the conversation...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, when it's taking up the majority of the conversation...

Well then most everything could be classed as a derail. For me a derail's a multi-page full on argument where people are shouting and swearing at each other, whereas here everyone's cool.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So, anytime someone replies to BOTL, in other words.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I mean, I would definitely call that a derail, and I think it speaks to how much of a mess this thread is that name calling and flaming has to happen in order to qualify.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Here's Leonard French, actual copyright attorney on Youtube, going over the case of Pepe's creator suing the gently caress out of Alex Jones for copyright infringement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_p2m_63dw

I highly recommend Leonard if you're vaguely interested in this stuff; he's nice, great at explaining the law, and he features his adorable dogs a lot. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puppy Time posted:

Here's Leonard French, actual copyright attorney on Youtube, going over the case of Pepe's creator suing the gently caress out of Alex Jones for copyright infringement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_p2m_63dw

I highly recommend Leonard if you're vaguely interested in this stuff; he's nice, great at explaining the law, and he features his adorable dogs a lot. :3:

Leonard J. Crabs is rea-:stare:

Oh, different Leonard.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FreezingInferno posted:

So, anytime someone replies to BOTL, in other words.

I am ruthless and cruel.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtePG4Pon_M
God Mike has gotten really cynical about movies for the past few years, that and I think its dumb to think blockbusters are causing American audiences to be dumb, humanity has always enjoyed bombastic fluff over everything else. I don't know why escapism is seen as so bad these days.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because it makes you look cool in front of film snobs

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well part of their schtick is being drunk midwesterners who hate movies but review them anyway.
see any Nerd Crew video.
but honestly, I'll afford them being a little heavy (purple) handed here, given their point: this is Jay's weird horror poo poo and Mike's weird science fiction poo poo in a slower movie, an interesting movie that is both very much their poo poo, and no studio had confidence in it. No one wants it but them. They can be a little disheartened and frustrated about that.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That review was secretly another 2016 Ghostbusters complaint video. That's three videos in three calendar years about it!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The thing is that Jay is the one who watches small indie and art movies but he always appears to be less snobbish and cynical than Mike.But it has to be jading to watch every single movie that comes out because there is always a trend so it must get super repetitive.
I was at a Q&A with Mike some years ago and he seemed kind of tired of having to still have to talk about the Star Wars reviews. They showed the Plinkett "Cop Dog" review which was one my favorite Plinkett reviews (I haven't seen it in years). Some (possibly wasted) nerd started his question out with "I don't give a gently caress about the dog cop movie or RLM" and proceeded to talk for like a minute about his thoughts on the Star Wars prequels only to end it with asking if they would make more Star Wars prequel stuff. It was awkward and I get why he might have lost some of his mojo.

Edit: It's also kind of his shtick so yeah.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 8, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds like your typically bad parts of fandom. It's why going to any kind of sci-fi convention and watching a Q&A session is awkward. You always get that one dipshit who think they're special and talks for minutes on end at the expensive of other people getting a chance to ask a question.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
also they didn't really say mass appeal movies make people dumber, just that americans are dumb and only like cartoons and comics
which is a safe thing to say in l'age d'trump

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It is super obvious that they have long since moved on from Star Wars. One thing that makes them pretty unique in terms of internet film critics, is that that they don't really like all that many "traditional nerd" franchises and that they don't fake enthusiasm for stuff they don't care for. Basically everything they make fun off in the Nerdcrew videos.

I figure, growing up they were fans of the original, didn't like the Prequel trilogy and since they were also film students/geeks, decided to make a long video on what they didn't like about them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I always understood the prequel reviews as a way to "move on" from Star Wars. Like it was supposed to be the last, long conversation people were supposed to ever have about Star Wars. The most comprehensive analysis of the technical failures of those films.

But then Disney happened and we're now getting one every year just to torment Mike.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/971787101548269568

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
so speaking of reviews of weird loving movie, nyx fears has a review of this movie called Every Day up and even though she laughs at it... this sounds like a really hosed up movie presented as a cute romantic movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

so speaking of reviews of weird loving movie, nyx fears has a review of this movie called Every Day up and even though she laughs at it... this sounds like a really hosed up movie presented as a cute romantic movie.

Yeah, it's kinda like 50 first dates with an alien

• Locked thread