Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
If this Outremont situation had anything to do with the Hasidim trying to impose practices on the community then this would have some merit. But it's about school buses. And even if she didn't realize the implications of wearing a yellow badge while protesting a Jewish community, she's still lovely for continuing to wear it.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Given what's happened with the Hasidic community in places like East Ramapo and Williamsburg in the States, I think it's safe to err on the side of their being more to the story than "NIMBY's overreact to school buses."

I mean this excerpt from the article points in that direction, and the article is pretty light on details about what is being protested:

quote:

Outremont’s Hasidic Jews use school buses to transport their children and members of the community to school and around the neighbourhood.

Chartre and a handful of other residents have been complaining for years the vehicles block the streets and are a nuisance because they run in the summer and during what she says are odd hours during the day and evening.

“On just one residential, one-way street, there are 14 buses in one hour!” she said. “That’s not reasonable.”

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

quote:

“(The Jews) always bring up their painful past,” she said. “They do it to muzzle us. "
That is the sort of thing a lovely person says. You can complain about buses without being anti-Semitic. Like, this would be a local issue if they hadn't worn the badges.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That is a pretty common tactic though. See Israel labelling any criticism of it as antisemitism.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I mean some Jewish people are like that though. How dare you talk about anyone besides the Jews on Remembrance Day or with regards to the Holocaust is a sentiment I've run into multiple times, despite it figuring pretty strongly into trans history and so on.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

How is that antisemitic when the article quotes Jewish people invoking the holocaust and the diaspora in relation to people complaining about their community buses clogging the streets?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

just another posted:

How is that antisemitic when the article quotes Jewish people invoking the holocaust and the diaspora in relation to people complaining about their community buses clogging the streets?

They're invoking the Holocaust because the people are wearing yellow badges. Like, this isn't that complicated. The Outremont Hasidic community was historically made up mostly of Holocaust survivors, I think they're allowed to decide if they think something evokes Holocaust imagery or not

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

just another posted:

A lot of complaints I see from Bnai Brith and the rest these days are basically along the lines of "how dare Jewish people be treated like other religious groups and not given preeminent placement" which is really privileged. I'm not denying anti-Semitism, but there looks to be a sort of place of privilege they feel they are owed in post-war society as part of Western nations trying to recover from the Holocaust. There's a very specific narrative of atrocity and reconciliation that Jewish groups comfortably enshrined in Western culture, and questioning that is not allowed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah there's 3 totally separate issues getting mixed in.
-Is there an unreasonable amount of traffic from the buses, illegal stopping/parking, blocking traffic significantly and so on? This is totally a traffic and enforcement issue.
-Would the locals be this upset if it was just some random new school and not hasidic jews and is their opposition and tactics partially rooted in that?
-How much tolerance do neighborhoods and societies in general need to give extremist religious groups? Specially ones with extremely lovely track records of moving into neighbourhoods and forcing, sometimes violently, their lovely values onto everyone else.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah there's 3 totally separate issues getting mixed in.
-Is there an unreasonable amount of traffic from the buses, illegal stopping/parking, blocking traffic significantly and so on? This is totally a traffic and enforcement issue.
-Would the locals be this upset if it was just some random new school and not hasidic jews and is their opposition and tactics partially rooted in that?
-How much tolerance do neighborhoods and societies in general need to give extremist religious groups? Specially ones with extremely lovely track records of moving into neighbourhoods and forcing, sometimes violently, their lovely values onto everyone else.
Honestly, there's just one issue here that made it newsworthy, which is the badges. Every other thing is just local bullshit. But they decided to be tone deaf and wear yellow badges and then refuse to admit there were bad implications to it.

Arivia posted:

A lot of complaints I see from Bnai Brith and the rest these days are basically along the lines of "how dare Jewish people be treated like other religious groups and not given preeminent placement" which is really privileged. I'm not denying anti-Semitism, but there looks to be a sort of place of privilege they feel they are owed in post-war society as part of Western nations trying to recover from the Holocaust. There's a very specific narrative of atrocity and reconciliation that Jewish groups comfortably enshrined in Western culture, and questioning that is not allowed.
I know you probably didn't mean it like that but this comes across like you're alleging a massive Jewish conspiracy

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zeeman posted:

I know you probably didn't mean it like that but this comes across like you're alleging a massive Jewish conspiracy

No, I'm just talking about culture and narratives. Not a conspiracy, just the stories we tell about each other.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Reince Penis posted:

Now who will go pee pee in the coke of our thread?

If this thread wasn't the same fifteen posters, gathered like hobos around the pathetically sputtering drum fire which is these forums, I'd come back and spit trollfire about how it would be great if someone did the needful and blew up parliament hill and such like.

Unfortunately y'all are boring AF and this place will be gone in like 24 months tops, so I'd rather waste that time trolling Reddit instead. :tipshat:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Now that I'm trying to cut back on posting in CanPol/CanEcon because they're terrible threads, and especially now that CI is gone and he was a good poster, when SA dies that just means that I'll be content with whatever offsite forum the bike goons migrate to.

Also I'm not working for that construction company anymore. It was a very bad job.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I should solely post about my John Tory rage here.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

tagesschau posted:

Point out where I've done this with your next post, or admit you're wrong and shut the gently caress up, moron.

You responded to my post about literal nazi propaganda found here:

A Typical Goon posted:

Do you guys know what actually doesn’t work? listening to nazi propaganda about the sanctity and importance of expressing hate speech

https://twitter.com/innerpartisan/status/970803280774385675?s=21

With this poo poo

tagesschau posted:

Why, yes, James Madison was totally a Nazi back in 1783. :fuckoff:

I have no idea how you manage to be a functioning member of society (apparently, anyway) and yet so intensely stupid.

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 8, 2018

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A Typical Goon posted:

Remember when you all said that counter protesting and no platforming for fascists didn’t work, and was actually exactly what they wanted? Well...

https://twitter.com/igd_news/status/971200678759686144?s=21

Do you guys know what actually doesn’t work? listening to nazi propaganda about the sanctity and importance of expressing hate speech

https://twitter.com/innerpartisan/status/970803280774385675?s=21

:yeah:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

Remember when you all said that counter protesting and no platforming for fascists didn’t work, and was actually exactly what they wanted? Well...

https://twitter.com/igd_news/status/971200678759686144?s=21

That's a big ol' [citation needed] there, buddy.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

just another posted:

That's a big ol' [citation needed] there, buddy.

It’s an internal discussion of the Traditionalist Worker’s Party about Spencer’s disastrous rally at MSU two days ago.

https://twitter.com/nycantifa/status/970789672317345792?s=21

just another
Oct 16, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

It’s an internal discussion of the Traditionalist Worker’s Party about Spencer’s disastrous rally at MSU two days ago.

https://twitter.com/nycantifa/status/970789672317345792?s=21

Specifically, I'm dubious that the hard/alt right has been:
- fully deplatformed, and
- finally deplatformed
- but especially, by antifa

Regardless of whatever Parrott's take is.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PittTheElder posted:

That is a pretty common tactic though. See Israel labelling any criticism of it as antisemitism.

When disproportionate criticism or different sets of rules get applied to people who just happen to be Jewish, it makes u think

A Typical Goon posted:

Why, yes, James Madison was totally a Nazi back in 1783. :fuckoff:

I have no idea how you manage to be a functioning member of society (apparently, anyway) and yet so intensely stupid.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Nazi defender has logged in

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Then maybe you should log back out and solve that problem.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nice meltdown

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tagesschau posted:

Then maybe you should log back out and solve that problem.

:ironicat:

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

nah

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This is what we get instead of CI, eh?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/_rossandrea/status/971453529486430209?s=19

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

420 punch Richard Spencer everyday

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tsyni posted:

This is what we get instead of CI, eh?

That's exactly what I was going to say!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Maybe that stupid criminal gently caress should've stopped doing crimes and being stupid if he wanted to run for office again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Maybe that stupid criminal gently caress should've stopped doing crimes and being stupid if he wanted to run for office again.

Why? He wants to run as a Conservative, doesn't he?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Why? He wants to run as a Conservative, doesn't he?

Indeed so. He is too stupid and criminal even for conservatives, which goes to show you how extremely stupid and criminal he actually is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Racist pharmacist or some nazi apologist? I dunno guys - touch decisions to make here.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How do you know CI was a pharmacist?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He brought it up in this thread years and years ago. Something about new wages for pharmacists being depressed because of over saturation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

tagesschau is a moderator on r/canada

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 8, 2018