Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

With how Mystic Quest is simple (but good) and the changes to make ff2/4 easier, did they have any solid reason to believe western gamers would find the games too hard or was it just some weird nonsense they decided on their own.

Much like how Castlevania games and other NES got made harder in America, no theres no real reason.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Technically FF Basketball already happened with the Mario Basketball game.

Its in the thing you quoted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They honestly thought JRPG's were too complex for western gamers, that's the main reason they didn't bother localising FFV at the time.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I never thought about it that much before, but that kind of sentiment really doesn't make sense considering the West was the homeland for D&D, Ultima, Wizardry... you know, the basis of a lot of RPG roots. :v:

Then again maybe part of it was perception of the Super Nintendo's demographics?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

They honestly thought JRPG's were too complex for western gamers, that's the main reason they didn't bother localising FFV at the time.

Meanwhile Koei was slamming out almost every simulation game they could and filling TV screens with numbers.

Not really the same thing, at all, but funny anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eight-Six posted:

Then again maybe part of it was perception of the Super Nintendo's demographics?

I suspect it was that one. A lot of the D&D folks were playing D&D-based PC games, and the attitude around the SNES was that it was a thing for kids, so naturally the games needed to be suitable for kids.

That said, it's only a suspicion. I really don't know. Clearly they changed their minds by the time FF6 rolled around, though they didn't make the leap to using the actual numbering system until FF7, which confused the hell out of me as a kid. (I loved FF3--where were 4 through 6? I want to play those, too!!!) I don't remember where I first learned that FF3 was FF6 and that the missing FFs were before that one, but it was before FF7 came out, at least.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah I learned about the 'missing' FF games and the perception that the west would find them too hard, and you best believe I made some mad posts about it on GameFAQs in my time.

Fortunately of those only FFV is actually any good, and I've never actually played the SNES version of it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I've always wanted to actually get through a Final Fantasy game, but have never been able to see it through. I've started FFVII and FFVIII over and over again before getting overwhelmed a few hours in. I've decided to try FFVI now. I like the turn based system and I've heard the story is good.

Is there anything I should know that would improve my enjoyment of the game? Something that isn't in the Before I Play thing?

I'm hoping to avoid my usual burnout by referring to a guide. I usually feel burdened by trying to figure out the best armor and weapons and skills and stuff in games like these.

And yes I'm playing the SNES FFIII version.

Thanks! I hope to finally become the FF fan I think I should be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the most important thing here is FFVI is easy enough that you shouldnt worry about optimizing. You dont need the best weapons or armor, whatever you find incidentally or buy from shops is perfectly good. In fact that can apply to basically all FF games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you are so obsessed with numbers and minmaxing that you need a guide maybe just don't play jrpgs anymore ok

You won't have fun doing that. It's ok to not play final fantasy!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 8, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

esperterra posted:

Crisis Core was at least much better than it had any right to be. I tend to like Tabata's games, even if they all end the same way. Haven't played Type-0 yet but I keep getting tempted to b/c of him.

Hey, the man has a niche, and that niche is murdering every single character by the end of the game. It works.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Varance posted:

Fun Fact: Mobius Final Fantasy retcons the original Warrior of Light's name to... Cid.

Movie time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeuBp_5C7dk&t=825s

There is actually a reason to this. Remember that Dissidia is the prequel to FF1? Well, in Dissidia there are these things called manikins, which I believe were originally said to be created by the bad guys in the original Dissidia game but in the sequel prequel Duodecim was revealed to actually be failed crystal clones of the characters to fight in the eternal war that Cid and Shinryu put together to power up Garland-Chaos and turn him into the ultimate life form, all hail shadow. The manikins didn't work out so Cid threw all of them into a pocket dimension and he and Shinryu decided to just summon the real thing from across the universe. Well, there was exactly ONE successful manikin, one successful clone of someone that Cid overlooked. That clone was of Cid himself, and lacked a name, so came to be known as the Warrior of Light. Actually, in the cycle that he was discovered, when Prishe found him originally and brought him into Cosmos' service, she gave him a name, that name presumably being Cid, but when that cycle was wiped and Prishe was dumped out of the eternal murder war he forgot the name she gave him and so he was just called Warrior of Light. Since WoL is Cid's clone, it makes sense he would be called Cid. It also explains why WoL is so fanatically devoted to Cosmos, because Cosmos is a clone of Cid's dead wife and Chaos' pseudo mother/lover.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Harrow posted:

I suspect it was that one. A lot of the D&D folks were playing D&D-based PC games, and the attitude around the SNES was that it was a thing for kids, so naturally the games needed to be suitable for kids.

That said, it's only a suspicion. I really don't know. Clearly they changed their minds by the time FF6 rolled around, though they didn't make the leap to using the actual numbering system until FF7, which confused the hell out of me as a kid. (I loved FF3--where were 4 through 6? I want to play those, too!!!) I don't remember where I first learned that FF3 was FF6 and that the missing FFs were before that one, but it was before FF7 came out, at least.

Surely the decision on V would've been made based on the performance of IV's North American release - anyone know what its original NA sales were like?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

apophenium posted:

I've always wanted to actually get through a Final Fantasy game, but have never been able to see it through. I've started FFVII and FFVIII over and over again before getting overwhelmed a few hours in. I've decided to try FFVI now. I like the turn based system and I've heard the story is good.

Is there anything I should know that would improve my enjoyment of the game? Something that isn't in the Before I Play thing?

I'm hoping to avoid my usual burnout by referring to a guide. I usually feel burdened by trying to figure out the best armor and weapons and skills and stuff in games like these.

And yes I'm playing the SNES FFIII version.

Thanks! I hope to finally become the FF fan I think I should be.

FF6 isn't all that hard. Once you can start teaching everyone magic the optimal strategy is to just teach everyone powerful spells and nuke your way to victory. If you really care about optimization, equip things that boost the Magic stat and give your strongest mage the Gem Box relic (lets you cast two spells per turn) and an Earring once you reach endgame. The Economizer (makes all spells cost 1 MP) is cool but the Osmose spell that drains MP from enemies is really, really strong in FF6 so MP issues should never be a thing.

But also none of that is really necessary.

Honestly FF6 probably won't win you over with gameplay--it's perfectly competent but also very easy--but its story is fantastic so just settle in and enjoy the ride. I'd recommend doing all of the side quests in the second half of the game because a lot of the most interesting character stories are in those.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Is ffxv comrades actually any good, also why did they make a whole dlc set in world of ruin instead of making it playable!!!

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

corn in the bible posted:

Is ffxv comrades actually any good, also why did they make a whole dlc set in world of ruin instead of making it playable!!!

Yeah it's good. Load times are a bit nasty on a base level ps4 (they used to be ten times nastier at launch) and it's not even World of Ruin. It's World of Like 6 Months Ruined. I wanna see more future versions of characters drat it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

It's ok to not play final fantasy!

Bullshit

I will fight you

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Gologle posted:

There is actually a reason to this. Remember that Dissidia is the prequel to FF1? Well, in Dissidia there are these things called manikins, which I believe were originally said to be created by the bad guys in the original Dissidia game but in the sequel prequel Duodecim was revealed to actually be failed crystal clones of the characters to fight in the eternal war that Cid and Shinryu put together to power up Garland-Chaos and turn him into the ultimate life form, all hail shadow. The manikins didn't work out so Cid threw all of them into a pocket dimension and he and Shinryu decided to just summon the real thing from across the universe. Well, there was exactly ONE successful manikin, one successful clone of someone that Cid overlooked. That clone was of Cid himself, and lacked a name, so came to be known as the Warrior of Light. Actually, in the cycle that he was discovered, when Prishe found him originally and brought him into Cosmos' service, she gave him a name, that name presumably being Cid, but when that cycle was wiped and Prishe was dumped out of the eternal murder war he forgot the name she gave him and so he was just called Warrior of Light. Since WoL is Cid's clone, it makes sense he would be called Cid. It also explains why WoL is so fanatically devoted to Cosmos, because Cosmos is a clone of Cid's dead wife and Chaos' pseudo mother/lover.

This all made sense to me but is also insane :allears:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gologle posted:

Hey, the man has a niche, and that niche is murdering every single character by the end of the game. It works.

He's very good at making it effective, so I'm certainly not complaining. I do love a tragic end anyway.

e:

Zutaten posted:

Yeah it's good. Load times are a bit nasty on a base level ps4 (they used to be ten times nastier at launch) and it's not even World of Ruin. It's World of Like 6 Months Ruined. I wanna see more future versions of characters drat it.

Yeah Comrades is hella good. I lost like 40 hours to it when it launched, pretty excited to jump back into it after I burn through the Royal Edition stuff. Really glad to hear the loads aren't as bad on a base as they were at launch. I did a lot of reading during my downtime between marks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

If you are so obsessed with numbers and minmaxing that you need a guide maybe just don't play jrpgs anymore ok

You won't have fun doing that. It's ok to not play final fantasy!

Yeah, because nobody that has an unhealthy fixation on min-maxing ever plays JRPGs.

It's fine to min-max, as long as you don't let it prevent you from playing the game. You learn the mechanics and how to best exploit them as you play, so don't try to optimize at the beginning of the game. You usually don't even have the tools to do any real min-maxing early. That said, it's fine to play through with a guide also.

Sabin and Edgar can probably carry you through the game with their infinite-use spammable special commands, so feel free to drag them everywhere.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

FF6 isn't all that hard. Once you can start teaching everyone magic the optimal strategy is to just teach everyone powerful spells and nuke your way to victory. If you really care about optimization, equip things that boost the Magic stat and give your strongest mage the Gem Box relic (lets you cast two spells per turn) and an Earring once you reach endgame. The Economizer (makes all spells cost 1 MP) is cool but the Osmose spell that drains MP from enemies is really, really strong in FF6 so MP issues should never be a thing.

I would only ever add Earring instead of Economizer if I screwed up and pumped my magic so high that I got the damage overflow bug so Grand Train and Ultima start doing like 2000-3000 damage, because the 25% power boost above 68000 brings it up to 9999 again

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Keep low level until you get magicite that gives high stat boosts for the stat you want on level up, then have one equipped and grind each of the 13 characters to max level. Once done, make a normal save, a quick save and then start a new game. Get the character you want to get stat boosts to rejoin the party and then get a game over. You'll go back to the save you just made with your level reset but stat gains kept. Repeat for anyone and everyone until all stats are maxed.

note dont actually do this

double note it only works on the gba version

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

grind each of the 13 characters to max level.

scrubs grind to max level, kings grind to like 45. below 45, you can gain like 2-3 levels per fight off mantises by jidoor solo

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The White Dragon posted:

scrubs grind to max level, kings grind to like 45. below 45, you can gain like 2-3 levels per fight off mantises by jidoor solo

Fair, but if number can go up why stop before number CANNOT go up??? :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

True masters don't bother with the specific stat gains from magicite and just run around in a circle for hours every time they get a new esper 'til everyone learns the spell.

Who needs stats when every character knows every spell?????

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

On my last FF6 playthrough, I did a sort of "job class" challenge where I decided which characters could use which espers and didn't let them all become magic-slinging gods. I still finished the game at like level 32-35 across the board.

The White Dragon posted:

I would only ever add Earring instead of Economizer if I screwed up and pumped my magic so high that I got the damage overflow bug so Grand Train and Ultima start doing like 2000-3000 damage, because the 25% power boost above 68000 brings it up to 9999 again

Yeah that's true, you probably only need the Earring at endgame if your Ultimas aren't already hitting for 9999 and Economizer is good for the character who has the Gem Box (or can you get more than one of each in the SNES version?). Everyone else can take a turn off to Osmose up if necessary.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Min/maxing in FFVI is such a weird and pointless beast. The four main stats have such a minor difference between what they do even 20 points apart barring maybe Magic and the most important number for damage and chance of success by a huge degree is simply Level.

I mean, I get the infatuation with big numbers but I can’t imagine for how little value you get out of it turning the first quarter of FFVI into some masochistic cry for help by depriving yourself of the Most Important Number and spending all your time fleeing from every encounter instead of playing Final Fantasy VI because you want to get some more very minor stat buffs later.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VI is so loving easy I don't see the point either, tbh, which is why any time I decide to go overpowered in that game I'd rather just teach everyone all/most of the spells than bother with the stat gains from magicite.

Besides, all of the fun ways to break VI have nothing to do with how powerful you are and everything to do with glitches.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's true, you probably only need the Earring at endgame if your Ultimas aren't already hitting for 9999 and Economizer is good for the character who has the Gem Box (or can you get more than one of each in the SNES version?). Everyone else can take a turn off to Osmose up if necessary.

You can always get infinite Economizers if you have the patience to farm Brachiosaurs. I think you can get two Gem Boxes, but you get the second one by betting the Offering in the coliseum :v:

esperterra posted:

True masters don't bother with the specific stat gains from magicite and just run around in a circle for hours every time they get a new esper 'til everyone learns the spell.

Who needs stats when every character knows every spell?????

brah because gogo dass why. lv99 gogo probably only hits for like 6k with ultima...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, it's telling that, even with only one character capable of casting Ultima, and most characters not being able to use offensive magic at all, I still had no issue at all finishing the game with levels between 30-35.

It helps that a lot of characters don't even need magic to kick rear end, of course. One reason I did the pseudo-job class challenge was so that I'd have more reason to heavily use Sabin's Blitzes, Edgar's Tools, Mog's ability to be turned into a badass immortal Dragoon, and even Cyan's weird "wait for a bar to charge up" attacks. Even Locke is pretty good if you give him the Valiant Knife + Offering and let him stay on low HP.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The White Dragon posted:

brah because gogo dass why. lv99 gogo probably only hits for like 6k with ultima...

Gogo exists to spam Blitz moves imo

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I feel so bad for my poor boy band. I wanted to milk all the value i could out of exp, so I had them do most of the sidequests in chapters 2-3 in one go. They couldn't sleep for eight days, they were disgusting and miserable by day 3, and I had to be kind of creative to finish some level 25-30 content with a level 16 party, but going to the 2x exp hotel and watching everyone jump past 30 in one night was pretty darn satisfying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Best use of Offering is to chuck it on Setzer with the Fixed Dice, the RNG is super stacked in your favour, as the name suggests.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I feel so bad for my poor boy band. I wanted to milk all the value i could out of exp, so I had them do most of the sidequests in chapters 2-3 in one go. They couldn't sleep for eight days, they were disgusting and miserable by day 3, and I had to be kind of creative to finish some level 25-30 content with a level 16 party, but going to the 2x exp hotel and watching everyone jump past 30 in one night was pretty darn satisfying.

The Nixperience ring is really handy for farming XP. Equip it so you keep banking dat poo poo, get Ignis to feed you some XP boosting food, use some XP boosting magic and enjoy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a way to get PS4 button prompts on XV PC? My DS4 works but I get generic controller prompts (not even xbox) which bugs me.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

The Nixperience ring is really handy for farming XP. Equip it so you keep banking dat poo poo, get Ignis to feed you some XP boosting food, use some XP boosting magic and enjoy.

Ooh yeah, that thing went on Noctis the instant I noticed it and never went away. I'm going to keep pounding XP food down their throats on the many, many camping trips they get to go on as reward for putting up with my BS, but unless the difficulty curve gets weird later on, I'm guessing that I'm grotesquely over-levelled enough now to remain comfortably ahead of the curve for a while. ^^

Incidentally, I now find myself sitting on a ton of AP. Everyone already has two accessory slots, Noctis got all his phase and warp/backstab stuff, and I unlocked all of the cheap HP/vitality/strength stat boosts. Should I just start shoveling points into the team's link skills and techniques?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You should have bought the techniques first because they're really good and they level up with use

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ah crud, that may be why I've been finding my party kind of underwhelming then; given, I've been playing a weird gimped setup for a while, but my go-to strategy since forever has been for noctis to do his nightcrawler thing to build TP, then when he gets surrounded I use Gladio's starting technique as a crowd-clearing thingie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not a huge deal. Investing in anything will produce some OP result in the game.

You can beat the game somewhere in the 50s pretty comfortably so youre good fora loooooong while

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You could have staved off the sidequests for chapter 3/4. There's no real reason to do them prior to that because the world opens up for a bit (until chapter 9).

EDIT: Also remember that Ignis is the best in literally anything he does, and you should get all his techniques and eat all his food and switch to him when possible. Ignis love! Ignis life! Yay Iggy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Best use of Offering is to chuck it on Setzer with the Fixed Dice, the RNG is super stacked in your favour, as the name suggests.

best use of offering is locke with a genji glove and atma weapon + valiant knife since they both ignore the offering damage penalty

however, setzer with fixed dice + black belt is a top shelf combo