Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

pidan posted:

I really liked the spooky cuckoo clock as a kid and I still feel slightly chilly when I think of it.

You mean The Cuckoo Clock of Doom? I liked that one too, although the ending is a little cheap (the whole thing about his parents happening to go to the antique store on the day that he wakes up as a baby, giving him the chance to go back up to the cuckoo clock and twist the cuckoo forward again). I guess this means that the clock had been hanging in the store, unbought, for basically his entire life?

You get the feeling that R.L. Stine would have never come up with the idea if he hadn't seen Groundhog Day beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SerialKilldeer posted:

And the protagonists knew this all along, and were just pretending to be scared! To the point of lying in their internal monologues.

THIS! This bothers me so dang much, and it's leaked into other mediums. The Handmaiden movie relies exclusively on it, and it leaves a bad taste. I'm racking my brain for other examples in literature, but I'm sure I've come across this terrible trope in reading before.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Somehow I just remembered there’s a sequel to The Chocolate Touch called John in the Dreamtime where the same kid (who is illustrated white) around a year later falls asleep near Ayers Rock and wakes up thousands of years in the past and befriends the indigenous people living nearby. There’s a scene describing preparing and eating giant grubs that stuck with me, but I can’t remember if the book pulls the trope of the “white person demonstrating how to cook” or if that was another kid’s book lost to my mind fog.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Serephina posted:

THIS! This bothers me so dang much, and it's leaked into other mediums. The Handmaiden movie relies exclusively on it, and it leaves a bad taste. I'm racking my brain for other examples in literature, but I'm sure I've come across this terrible trope in reading before.

The same happens with Heavy Rain. You can view the thoughts of the three player characters at any given time, so presumably they'd think about things that could potentially hint at the twist at the end. Nope, the killer never once has an incriminating thought. Even when he's out to destroy evidence and get rid of witnesses, never once do his deepest thoughts betray the slightest hint that he's anything but above board. He's so into his character as a private detective that he won't even incriminate himself to himself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Somehow I just remembered there’s a sequel to The Chocolate Touch called John in the Dreamtime where the same kid (who is illustrated white) around a year later falls asleep near Ayers Rock and wakes up thousands of years in the past and befriends the indigenous people living nearby. There’s a scene describing preparing and eating giant grubs that stuck with me, but I can’t remember if the book pulls the trope of the “white person demonstrating how to cook” or if that was another kid’s book lost to my mind fog.

I have a weird notion that the version of The Chocolate Touch had been localised for the UK but I might just be misremembering. However, I recall the edition I had included a one-page preview for a sequel which was about John Midas's younger sister, who a few years later has become as much of a chocaholic as he was in the first book and somehow ends up with a chocolate touch of her own; I remember the blurb hinting that she would turn the president into chocolate at some point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

chitoryu12 posted:

The same happens with Heavy Rain. You can view the thoughts of the three player characters at any given time, so presumably they'd think about things that could potentially hint at the twist at the end. Nope, the killer never once has an incriminating thought. Even when he's out to destroy evidence and get rid of witnesses, never once do his deepest thoughts betray the slightest hint that he's anything but above board. He's so into his character as a private detective that he won't even incriminate himself to himself.

Maybe they know that they are in David Cage games and are therefore Scott Pilgriming just in case one of the other characters suddenly develops mind-reading powers. ("I put the Half and Half in that cup... but I thought really hard about putting it in this cup")

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Wait, you play as the murderer?

loving David Cage.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

chitoryu12 posted:

This is one of those things that sounds utterly awesome on paper but is so hard to pull off that you're better off not trying. But considering the overwhelming ego David Cage has, it never occurred to him that there was a reason we never saw inside Kevin Spacey's head in the Usual Suspects.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

loving David Cage.

You play as multiple characters, and the twist is one of them was the murderer the whole time. EXCEPT there's a point in the game in I think a clock shop or something where you are in the same room as the killer and he disappears and I'm pretty sure commits a murder in an impossibly short amount of time so you can't even come to the conclusion he's the murderer on your own by suspicious circumstance because you're literally there with him the whole time while he kinda just does a thing in 2 seconds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

loving David Cage.

The weirdest thing about the game is that it actually telegraphs a different character you're playing as is the killer but it happens during blackouts so he doesn't remember actually doing it. Which leaves a huge plot hole when it turns out the other guy was doing it and there's no explanation as to why he was having suspicious blackouts and making origami (which was the killer's signature.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

muscles like this! posted:

The weirdest thing about the game is that it actually telegraphs a different character you're playing as is the killer but it happens during blackouts so he doesn't remember actually doing it. Which leaves a huge plot hole when it turns out the other guy was doing it and there's no explanation as to why he was having suspicious blackouts and making origami (which was the killer's signature.)

That weirdness is because they did a half-rear end job of cutting out the supernatural elements from the story. The killer and that character were originally supposed to be psychically connected.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Mar 4, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
David Cage is a loving hack is what’s the problem.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This twist reminds me of the cat-hair-mustache-style adventure-game Resonance, where you play four characters who each have their own reasons for solving the sci-fi murder-mystery. There's the Cop, the Nerd, the Journalist, and the Lady Doctor. You start off playing them separately in Act 1, but in Act 2 they team up with the Lady Doctor having the biggest personal stake in the story.

In a big twist the Nerd turns out to be the bad guy, shoots the Lady Doctor in the head, and you spend Act 3 with the Cop and the Journalist as a buddy-cop duo. While it was certainly a shocking and effective twist that makes you see the Nerd's previous behavior in a new light, it was a shame that the sole leading-lady gets her brains splattered on the wall at the 2/3rd's mark.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That weirdness is because they did a half-rear end job of cutting out the supernatural elements from the story. The killer and that character were originally supposed to be psychically connected.

That explains a LOT.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

VanSandman posted:

David Cage is a loving hack is what’s the problem.

This is why I haven't played Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls despite getting them dirt cheap on ps4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beyond Two Souls is incredible if you a) have any ability to ponder media critically so you get lost in like 3+ different holes of David Cages hosed up attitudes and b) remember he built a stalker shrine book of Ellen Page that deeply unsettled her.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Barudak posted:

Beyond Two Souls is incredible if you a) have any ability to ponder media critically so you get lost in like 3+ different holes of David Cages hosed up attitudes and b) remember he built a stalker shrine book of Ellen Page that deeply unsettled her.

David Cage had his company make a unauthorized nude model of Ellen Page and they left it in the game because ???
https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sony-Tries-Stop-Nude-Images-From-Beyond-Two-Souls-From-Spreading-Online-60045.html

Bonus "French pervert yells at journalists":
http://www.businessinsider.com/davi...ehaviour-2018-1

quote:

"You want to talk about homophobia?" Cage reportedly said. "I work with Ellen Page, who fights for LGBT rights. You want to talk about racism? I work with Jesse Williams, who fights for civil rights in the USA ... Judge me by my work."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This popped up on one of the link aggregator sites I check and I figure it might fit in:

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/arguably-worlds-worst-novelist.html

I’ve downloaded the Gutenberg book to my kindle for next time I’m free :o:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
I desperately need to know which Halo novel this is from, because what the actual gently caress.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This popped up on one of the link aggregator sites I check and I figure it might fit in:

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/arguably-worlds-worst-novelist.html

I’ve downloaded the Gutenberg book to my kindle for next time I’m free :o:

"Bony supports" cracked me the gently caress up. Hahaha.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Brass Key posted:

I desperately need to know which Halo novel this is from, because what the actual gently caress.

Looked up this person's tumblr and sadly as the story develops it's not an actual excerpt. Spartan's never die, nor do they gently caress.

But you know who does? Sergeant Johnson, as described doing so near the end of the Halo novel Contact: Harvest. Not a particularly terrible book. Halo: The Flood, now there was a plodding turd. Want to know read some dull descriptions of Master Chief's adventures in the first game? Want to know what all the other soldiers were doing when they weren't around being cannon fodder for John? Want to know the name of one random corpse in the Library level that existed to loot rifle ammo of of? Want to fall asleep? The Flood's got you covered.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Gnome de plume posted:

Looked up this person's tumblr and sadly as the story develops it's not an actual excerpt. Spartan's never die, nor do they gently caress.

But you know who does? Sergeant Johnson, as described doing so near the end of the Halo novel Contact: Harvest. Not a particularly terrible book. Halo: The Flood, now there was a plodding turd. Want to know read some dull descriptions of Master Chief's adventures in the first game? Want to know what all the other soldiers were doing when they weren't around being cannon fodder for John? Want to know the name of one random corpse in the Library level that existed to loot rifle ammo of of? Want to fall asleep? The Flood's got you covered.

Aww. I'm half disappointed and half relieved. RIP Spartans, who neither die nor gently caress.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Victory posted:

You play as multiple characters, and the twist is one of them was the murderer the whole time. EXCEPT there's a point in the game in I think a clock shop or something where you are in the same room as the killer and he disappears and I'm pretty sure commits a murder in an impossibly short amount of time so you can't even come to the conclusion he's the murderer on your own by suspicious circumstance because you're literally there with him the whole time while he kinda just does a thing in 2 seconds.

Yeah, the game contradicts itself on the murderer's whereabouts. Not just from the murderer's own perspective (which would be cheap but arguably permissible), it actually shows him in plain sight of another character to give him an alibi and then later retcons it to give him a lot more time out of her sight than what it had previously shown.

It even calls attention to itself by including very prominent sound cues in the background of both versions of the scene so it's obvious they're not just fudging it a little, they straight up have him in two places at the same cues.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I remember enjoying most of the Halo novels as a teenager. They were perfectly cromulent mil sci-fi, and not suuuuper fascist, which is a nice change.

At least, up until Karen Traviss started writing for them. Goddamn, she's terrible, even by lovely tie in novel and Star Wars EU standards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Eric Nylund Halo books are the only ones worth reading.

Karen Traviss's first three Republic Commando books are fine, but anything she wrote after them is just a garbage fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

I remember enjoying most of the Halo novels as a teenager. They were perfectly cromulent mil sci-fi, and not suuuuper fascist, which is a nice change.

At least, up until Karen Traviss started writing for them. Goddamn, she's terrible, even by lovely tie in novel and Star Wars EU standards.

Yeah, the books up through Contact Harvest are good reads for a kid who’s a fan of Halo.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the books up through Contact Harvest are good reads for a kid who’s a fan of Halo.

I remember reading The Fall of Reach as a kid and loving it. I remember basically nothing else about it though, and I'm not sure if I read any others.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrAptronym posted:

I remember reading The Fall of Reach as a kid and loving it. I remember basically nothing else about it though, and I'm not sure if I read any others.

I remember that the Spartans in the books are way, way, way better than the ones in the game and would be infinitely more fun to play as. Like you know how the game has Spartans as basically tanks that slowly jog around and have floaty jumping?

When the Master Chief gets the newest armor with Cortana jacked in, they put him through a huge live fire obstacle course where he goes ninja on everything. They even have a VTOL try to take him out with a missile and he jumps up and smacks it out of the air.

And even before he got the armor, right after he got his augmentations at age 14, he beats an insane amount of poo poo out of some ODSTs and kills two of them when they try to mess with him in the gym.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
So it's a Troper Tale.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

that chief....is inhuman!

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember that the Spartans in the books are way, way, way better than the ones in the game and would be infinitely more fun to play as. Like you know how the game has Spartans as basically tanks that slowly jog around and have floaty jumping?

When the Master Chief gets the newest armor with Cortana jacked in, they put him through a huge live fire obstacle course where he goes ninja on everything. They even have a VTOL try to take him out with a missile and he jumps up and smacks it out of the air.

And even before he got the armor, right after he got his augmentations at age 14, he beats an insane amount of poo poo out of some ODSTs and kills two of them when they try to mess with him in the gym.

I would totally play a Halo spin-off made by Platinum.

At some point I need to go through some of my old books in my parents attic, I used to read a lot of videogame/D&D/Magic: the Gathering books and really cheesy sci-fi. I am pretty sure almost all of them were terrible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Canonically the Spartans are supposed to be able to run 34 to 38 MPH with ease (and John once sprained his ankle doing 65), with a reaction time of 0.02 seconds so they feel like everything in combat is moving in slow motion. How did we not get that game?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Everyone (and I) want this as a Halo game, and it seems pretty true to the novels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxsNZ-ITzM

RIP, I remember loving this video when I was younger

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Penpal posted:

Everyone (and I) want this as a Halo game, and it seems pretty true to the novels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxsNZ-ITzM

RIP, I remember loving this video when I was younger

Unfortunately, the author of that video literally worked himself to death so we're not getting any more stupid awesome like that.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Oh yeah that's why I placed the RIP in there. I didn't know he worked himself to death, though, for a western internet anime show? I think he's the only reason it got popular.

But yeah, who is Karen Traviss and why is she garbage fire? Anything notably terrible?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Penpal posted:

But yeah, who is Karen Traviss and why is she garbage fire? Anything notably terrible?

She writes video game commercial tie-in sci-fi, she writes video game commercial tie-in sci-fi, and video game commercial tie-in sci-fi.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Penpal posted:

Oh yeah that's why I placed the RIP in there. I didn't know he worked himself to death, though, for a western internet anime show? I think he's the only reason it got popular.

Karen Traviss is a deep, deep seam of content for this thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Karen Traviss' main thing was that she got fired from writing Star Wars books because she became really abusive towards fans online who didn't like the direction she took her books. Also for some reason she was really bad about playing nice with other authors, frequently contradicting other books' characterization.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Karen Traviss' main thing was that she got fired from writing Star Wars books because she became really abusive towards fans online who didn't like the direction she took her books. Also for some reason she was really bad about playing nice with other authors, frequently contradicting other books' characterization.

To clarify, she referred to her more vocal critics as ‘Talifans’ - and no, she wasn’t referencing Mass Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Canonically the Spartans are supposed to be able to run 34 to 38 MPH with ease (and John once sprained his ankle doing 65), with a reaction time of 0.02 seconds so they feel like everything in combat is moving in slow motion. How did we not get that game?

We probably do, in that everything in video games feels slowed down compared to reality. It wouldn't be playable with 130 mph ghosts and so forth.