Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

carry on then posted:

moreover, all the 4k patches for their leading games basically doubled the size of the game, negating any benefit in upgrading from a 500GB xbox

one neat trick to alienate your customers on metered internet connections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

they have a product for them it’s the Xbox 360

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

is there a demographic they haven't tried to alienate with the xbox one

hobbesmaster posted:

they have a product for them it’s the Xbox 360
i think that's literally their response too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that was their response for deployed troops

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

anthonypants posted:

is there a demographic they haven't tried to alienate with the xbox one

people who pay $100+ a month for cable or satellite tv and repeatedly lose the remote for the receiver box

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The_Franz posted:

people who pay $100+ a month for cable or satellite tv and repeatedly lose the remote for the receiver box
unless those people also own 50Hz televisions

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

anthonypants posted:

unless those people also own 50Hz televisions

xbox: we're not your buddy, pal

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anthonypants posted:

the xbonex has a non-replaceable 1TB drive, and iirc ~20% of it is used out of the box

you can replace the bone x hard drive but it voids your warranty. its not like the 360 where it was physically locked to certain drives running special firmware only.

i think some dudes put 1TB SSDs in theirs but it makes no difference in loading times because the read rate is software limited lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft on windows s: yeah, whatever, gently caress it, we give up

i'm betting on at least three more attempts to make windows that does not run windows software in the next five years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

microsoft on windows s: yeah, whatever, gently caress it, we give up

i'm betting on at least three more attempts to make windows that does not run windows software in the next five years.

otoh windows explorer is finally getting tabs

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

oh boy just what explorer needs, another million lines of buggy code to hack in a feature. cant wait to open a tab and have it show "hold on a sec...." in the window while the green bar moves across the screen because apparently getting the directory contents of the Downloads folder takes 5 loving minutes

maybe theyll get the start menu to open within the first 5-6 clicks with this release, also

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

NEED MORE MILK posted:

oh boy just what explorer needs, another million lines of buggy code to hack in a feature. cant wait to open a tab and have it show "hold on a sec...."

cutesy ui interactions need to die in a dogshit fire

"We found 11 things and we changed them all for you! Hooray! Zippidee doo dah friggin day"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

otoh windows explorer is finally getting tabs

They're called sets and roughly everything is getting 'em. Meh.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

maybe theyll get the start menu to open within the first 5-6 clicks with this release, also

Do not click the start menu. Just press the windows key and start typing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiedler posted:

id argue that this is the best windows innovation since snapping but you just know microsoft is going to gently caress it up which i think they already said they were going to by allowing random programs to occupy a set rather than the obvious thing of just having each program by default spawn all its windows in a single container like a natural human being would want

its bizarre how they simply cannot figure out what a normal would want to do its like poo poo just watch literally anyone in a workplace work for like five minutes and its obvious what ui changes they need

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
installed windows 10 on the gf’s new laptop and holy poo poo cortana is an insufferable little poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

id argue that this is the best windows innovation since snapping but you just know microsoft is going to gently caress it up which i think they already said they were going to by allowing random programs to occupy a set rather than the obvious thing of just having each program by default spawn all its windows in a single container like a natural human being would want

its bizarre how they simply cannot figure out what a normal would want to do its like poo poo just watch literally anyone in a workplace work for like five minutes and its obvious what ui changes they need

sets make more sense than tabbing up everything for each program. for example lets say I have some instances of visual studio open and then several edge tabs with reference docs. I don't want the visual studio tabs grouped together because theres no point, but I'd love to have each vs instance in a set with its associated reference docs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

installed windows 10 on the gf’s new laptop and holy poo poo cortana is an insufferable little poo poo

Cortana is good. she sets timers for me and gives me traffic and weather updates.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

sets make more sense than tabbing up everything for each program. for example lets say I have some instances of visual studio open and then several edge tabs with reference docs. I don't want the visual studio tabs grouped together because theres no point, but I'd love to have each vs instance in a set with its associated reference docs.

No. Reference docs go on monitor A, VS goes on monitor B. This is the only proper way to code.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fiedler posted:

No. Reference docs go on monitor A, VS goes on monitor B. This is the only proper way to code.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Fiedler posted:

that also doesnt work 75% of the time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no one uses edge so your example isn't relevant in any case

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NEED MORE MILK posted:

oh boy just what explorer needs, another million lines of buggy code to hack in a feature. cant wait to open a tab and have it show "hold on a sec...." in the window while the green bar moves across the screen because apparently getting the directory contents of the Downloads folder takes 5 loving minutes

nah, it is either worse or better (i personally suspect the latter to be true) than that, it is a broad os feature where you can put disparate apps into a single tabbed "app", to gather work that involves all of them into a single thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

Cortana is good. she sets timers for me and gives me traffic and weather updates.

cortana reads texts from my cab off of pushbullet and then sets alerts based on misreading the text

cortana disabling tip: set your country outside the us first

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

did you know that if you disable the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service in windows 10 you can't do this anymore

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, it is either worse or better (i personally suspect the latter to be true) than that, it is a broad os feature where you can put disparate apps into a single tabbed "app", to gather work that involves all of them into a single thing

what the loving gently caress, who ever asked for this poo poo?!

oh right... shaggar... lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

NEED MORE MILK posted:

this sounds like a wireless mouse problem (probably weak signal/interference) or maybe shitware

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

put the taskbar on the top and now you have tabs within tabs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phoenixan posted:

put the taskbar on the top and now you have tabs within tabs

interlinked

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

it is not Microsoft's fault that ISPs are lovely rent-seeking monopolists

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Remember MSN the dial-up provider? Did anyone ever actually use them?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes i used a free trial and it sucked poo poo. it was extraordinarily slow

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

for a brief moment, MSN was an Explorer shell extension and behaved like any other folder hierarchy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

i've always loved how Everything and Wiztree can load an entire drive faster than windows loads some folders just by reading poo poo out of the MFT

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fiedler posted:

congrats on your new bing search for "remove prog"

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Windows Enterprise LTSB 1607 with Classic Shell installed, there windows 10 is usable.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this sounds like a wireless mouse problem (probably weak signal/interference) or maybe shitware

it's windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
msn.com still exists, somehow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Windows Enterprise LTSB 1607 with Classic Shell installed, there windows 10 is usable.

lmao

is there like a stardock fanclub or something?

where do you 3rd party shell replacement idiots keep coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
doesnt ltsb basically come with nothing useful. why not just install linux at that point lol