Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

It’s okay the N64 Classic will make all your problems go away for the two weeks you have the thing after months of buildup before you forget about it forever

Isn't that literally every video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

Isn't that literally every video game

Most don’t last a whole two weeks. :smith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Do what I've been doing this generation, only buy a game when you've beaten or gotten all you think you will out of a game. Instead of having a giant backlog of stuff I bought for full price and never touched I'm actually making sure I play what I buy. And usually I save cash when I get something new because it's been out for a while and doesn't retail for full price or I find a used copy.

Or if you've got the disposable income just buy whatever and make a monument to wasted money and consumerism in your gaming nook or wherever you play your video games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Or if you've got the disposable income just buy whatever and make a monument to wasted money and consumerism in your gaming nook or wherever you play your video games.

Way ahead of you buddy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Do what I've been doing this generation, only buy a game when you've beaten or gotten all you think you will out of a game. Instead of having a giant backlog of stuff I bought for full price and never touched I'm actually making sure I play what I buy. And usually I save cash when I get something new because it's been out for a while and doesn't retail for full price or I find a used copy.

This is what I do and consequently the most modern game I own is shenmue 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In the last year i've been pretty good about finishing the games i've bought. My only real downer right now is Xenoblade 2, which I am positive I will never finish because I am just not having fun with it at all. I really thought I was going to enjoy that game but honestly it sucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

are you just talking out of your rear end here, I'm pretty sure in ff7 the name of the group is soldier written in katakana

Wtf are you even on about? We're just discussing what other translations might have worked better. I'm not saying that's a literal translation of Japanese to English I'm saying that would work well as an adaptation of the name of that organization in the English version of FF7.

The word "soldier" is English. Are you saying in FF7 in Japanese they were called HEISHI? I thought the whole point was they used SOLDIER, in-english, in the Japanese release, because its not Japanese and sounds foreign and futuristic, like calling it SHOGUN for the English release would.

The whole context was making poo poo up. I'm not saying that's an accurate translation and definitely not saying its somehow MORE accurate. Context matters, goons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

The violence in the newer MK games is so goofy and over-the-top that it's impossible to take very seriously.

IDK, its too graphic and detailed to be called "goofy" to me. Like, some of the fatalities, especially the more classic ones, are sometimes kinda ridiculous. But then lots of the totally new MKX only ones are like... you're watching surgery. Its gross.

The only thing about MKX fatalities that really seems goofy to me is how after having all your organs eviscerated by someone's ultimate attack, if that didn't finish off your heath bar then you go right back to fighting at 100% strength. Like yeah, you just fractured my ribs and broke my orbital bones, but I can keep boxing no problem.

E: Actually now that I think about it, its the X-RAY attacks that are really gore-y, the fatalities are more goofy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Wtf are you even on about? We're just discussing what other translations might have worked better. I'm not saying that's a literal translation of Japanese to English I'm saying that would work well as an adaptation of the name of that organization in the English version of FF7.

The word "soldier" is English. Are you saying in FF7 in Japanese they were called HEISHI? I thought the whole point was they used SOLDIER, in-english, in the Japanese release, because its not Japanese and sounds foreign and futuristic, like calling it SHOGUN for the English release would.

The whole context was making poo poo up. I'm not saying that's an accurate translation and definitely not saying its somehow MORE accurate. Context matters, goons.

i hate you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Nintendo direct is in three hours, right? I didn't screw up time zones? That's like the only hour today I'm not in a meeting so it better be!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

The Nintendo direct is in three hours, right? I didn't screw up time zones? That's like the only hour today I'm not in a meeting so it better be!
5 PM Eastern Time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

Still sounds dumb as gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

sh I'm saying that would work well as an adaptation of the name of that organization in the English version of FF7.

That's a pretty shallow read on the context of the original Japanese using SOLDIER. It's to express that Shinra is a japanese company being Westernized. Look at the entire wutai subplot, the conflict between the westernized Shinra and the traditionally Japanese people of Wutai is the entire conflict there. FF7 was made in the late 90s, those were pretty salient concerns for Japanese people. As a megacorp, Shinra has no culture. It's obviously Japanese in origin, just due to the name, but a ton of its executives have non-Japanese names, the heir included, and they use a ton of western terms for things. SOLDIER, for instance. Tons of real life Japanese corporations use western terms for both their products and for parts of their internal teams, that's what they're leaning into with the name SOLDIER.

Translating SOLDIER to SHOGUN would be the exact opposite of that - it'd change them into a villainous, heavily Japanese organization opposed by the heroic Americans, and Yuffie I Guess.

Again this isn't an argument against you saying SHOGUN would be a somehow accurate translation, I'm saying it wouldn't be a good adaptation/rewrite either.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

I said come in! posted:

In the last year i've been pretty good about finishing the games i've bought. My only real downer right now is Xenoblade 2, which I am positive I will never finish because I am just not having fun with it at all. I really thought I was going to enjoy that game but honestly it sucks.

What's wrong with it? I'm looking for an RPG for my switch that isn't Skyrim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Still sounds dumb as gently caress

Cool beans man thanks for sharing, have a good day

Endorph posted:

Translating SOLDIER to SHOGUN would be the exact opposite of that - it'd change them into a villainous, heavily Japanese organization opposed by the heroic Americans, and Yuffie I Guess.

That's fair yeah, good point. I was just spitballing though, no need to get so defensive about it jeeze.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That's fair yeah, good point. I was just spitballing though, no need to get so defensive about it jeeze.
I don't think I was really being defensive?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope they don't re translate anything in FF7 and that there is no voice acting, thank you for reading

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

It is very anime..

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh good, the Burnout remake does have the movie cars. Will still wait on reviews for it though. Well, I say reviews when these days I mean nice people on the internet who buy games and give impressions.

Also how's Until Dawn? Like a CYOA horror/thriller film? I went to buy it the other day and was pleasantly surprised to find it was free. Seem to remember it was on PS+ a while ago.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Until Dawn is really fun, but you may end up hating everyone in it. Or getting them all killed.

It loses something on replays but really was a great PS+ game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

it has a ton of half-baked and time-wasting mechanics (most notoriously a gatcha for unique characters that can give you as low as a 0.01% chance of some unlocks), badly stilted voice acting, and a back half that's apparently rushed out

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

remember Hot Coffee, guys? How far we've come.

I think, in a way, now we have games that are violent in a more grounded way, which makes them stand out more; The Last Of Us, Red Orchestra, Far Cry 2. You can have Kratos tearing out a cyclops eye or Doomguy sawing a demon in half in all it's bloody gory, but in the end, it still is pretty goofy. Now hearing a human being begging for its life or crying for its mother in its last seconds? That poo poo's nasty.

This is how I feel about that Escape from Karnov game or whatever. All the enemies howl in pain and it's just impossible to watch or listen to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I kind of like the gacha in XB2 honestly, it's meant to make everyone's playthrough a little unique. But yeah, it kind of sucks if you don't get ones with skills you like or ones you see in other screenshots that you like the look of.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They're releasing the next CoD in October instead of November...the game has been changed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

This is how I feel about that Escape from Karnov game or whatever. All the enemies howl in pain and it's just impossible to watch or listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WvbtURvnts

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Until Dawn is really fun, but you may end up hating everyone in it. Or getting them all killed.

It loses something on replays but really was a great PS+ game.

Oh, sounds like just what I was after, thanks!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The feeling of "play with what you have, your experience won't automatically match other people because of randomness" is a fun part of gacha imo. It sounds like xenowhatever didn't actually pull it off but a single player or non-microtransaction multiplayer gacha game could be cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awful gameplay mechanics that are not properly explained and are half assed, and bad gameworld design that struggles under the Switch hardware. One of the annoying things Monolith decided to do was add in points where you have to do side quests to continue with the story, and you need certain blades in order to unlock paths to continue, but this isn't explained at all forcing you to look up guides online or guess as to what the game wants from you. The enemies are giant health sponges and the battles are boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for the record lots of people out there are digging XB2/dug XB2. Not to say cat sunglasses av guy's opinion is invalid just that if you're considering buying it i'd say look around, it's definitely more in the mixed opinion category than the 'everyone hates it' category.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until Dawn is best played with you in the role of a maniacal horror film director carefully curating who lives and dies rather than video gamily trying to keep everybody alive.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I loved XB2, once you get good at it the combat is really fun, to the point where it was a joy to just fight random monsters while running around. Game certainly has some issues but it's weird and ambitious enough that I give it a pass on them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only bad things in Xenoblade 2 are the gatcha and it taking about 15 hours to get to the point where you have all the mechanics and three party members unlocked. The 'story mission is gated by a skill check' thing happens once in the entire game and it's a skill that's virtually impossible to not have. The bad dub is easily solved by using the Japanese voices.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where are people at with the original Xenoblade because people seemed kind of over it by the time the 3DS port was announced

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The dub isn't even bad, I like the accents. No care given to matching the mouth flaps though, but that's half of the charm to me.

Help Im Alive posted:

Where are people at with the original Xenoblade because people seemed kind of over it by the time the 3DS port was announced

I'm really feeling it!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the dub is good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I loved it and still love it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd say Xenoblade 2's biggest issues are the tutorials not being super clear and some of the sidequests being just way too long. Otherwise I easily prefer it to Xenoblade 1, which I didn't really care for.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never actually finished it but I liked the 90+ hours I put into it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

sharrrk posted:

the dub is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also Xenoblade 2 has a robot girl who has a Getter-2/Gurren Lagann style drill attack, and she fights her sister robot who is just Mazinger Z.

• Locked thread