Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

General Battuta posted:

There is no other format, as far as I can tell :v: I've got a paperback too, got it used off Amazon.

This, along with general apathy, have prevented me from doing a let's read, which is a shame, because Fire Lance is a really, really well put together book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Is Canadian defence policy to just spend all of the money on anything but actual capabilities?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Quinntan posted:

Is Canadian defence policy to just spend all of the money on anything but actual capabilities?

Without any sarcasm at all, I think yes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Colour me surprised.. $54mil for 135 employees along with expenses and "office upgrades" :wtc:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SeaborneClink posted:

Can someone do an effort post of USN (or just naval in general) ship classes?

Cause I sure as poo poo can't figure out what on Poseidon Blue Oceans a Frigate is supposed to be able to do that isn't already covered about 80-90% by a Destroyer or 60%+ by a Cruiser?

Why the poo poo does the USN need new Frigates when they've got (aging) Tico Cruisers the Arleigh Destroyers and the Freedom class (these are Frigates, right?? :confused:) let's not bring up the Zumwalts

Like... Outer, outer picket ASW patrol?

Frigates are cheaper than destroyers so you can have more of them.

Same reason why not all passenger air service is done with A380’s.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mlmp08 posted:

F-18s to compete on next season's Drag Race.

"I came in last cause I had the most drag, does that mean I win the drag race?"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FrozenVent posted:

Frigates are cheaper than destroyers so you can have more of them.

Same reason why not all passenger air service is done with A380’s.

And yet the Arleighs were $1.8bn a hull and they're "projecting" the new frigates at $1bn (probably closer to $1.5 - $1.7bn) per hull, so... :confused:

You're buying a smaller, less capable ship for arguably the same price??

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SeaborneClink posted:

Why the poo poo does the USN need new Frigates when they've got (aging) Tico Cruisers the Arleigh Destroyers and the Freedom class (these are Frigates, right?? :confused:) let's not bring up the Zumwalts

Like... Outer, outer picket ASW patrol?

Missile/bullet sponges.

New china missiles scary.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

gently caress it

Cyrano, hit me with a month probation if I don't start a Let's Read of Fire Lance by tomorrow at midnight.

:toxx:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

And yet the Arleighs were $1.8bn a hull and they're "projecting" the new frigates at $1bn (probably closer to $1.5 - $1.7bn) per hull, so... :confused:

Hookers and blow aren't free. What do you expect Admirals to do with their free time? Mow the lawn?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Hookers and blow aren't free. What do you expect Admirals to do with their free time? Mow the lawn?

Operating costs are indeed lower.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Smiling Jack posted:

gently caress it

Cyrano, hit me with a month probation if I don't start a Let's Read of Fire Lance by tomorrow at midnight.

:toxx:

Haha, I just started drafting one too. I really want to read yours.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Haha, I just started drafting one too. I really want to read yours.

We can tag team it, I plan on starting with a mood setting post on how the world looked in 1988 which is when I read the book for the first time. I'll put it up tomorrow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smiling Jack posted:

We can tag team it, I plan on starting with a mood setting post on how the world looked in 1988 which is when I read the book for the first time. I'll put it up tomorrow.

Post the link in here, I want to follow along.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Blistex posted:

That's probably juuuuuuust deep enough for it to be spared the fate of the Prince of Wales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Today I learned something really, really cool

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

I’d argue that $1bn is less than 1.8, yes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

I’d argue that $1bn is less than 1.8, yes.
The key word here is "projected" which, it being a military project, will be exceeded by a significant amount.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

You'll probably get a kick out of knowing that the same thing applies to humans: A coroner( or, I think, a dentist) can determine if you were born after 1945 by seeing if there's trace radioactive elements in your body. I'm not sure where they're located, but I'm pretty sure it's legit.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

CRAMS\CWIS are amazing pieces of tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7rc7U61B5E

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The firing pattern is a lot trippier when it's engaging a target rather than doing pattern test fires like in the above video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVUISS8oHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ6YChXRn_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLuUd0VK2s

Keep your barrels in tolerance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPxbZ7lLc4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

SeaborneClink posted:

These are really two different questions. The rationale for the frigates, versus the reality of military procurement.

The rationale is if the savings ends up only being 20%, that means they can buy five ships instead of four, and for a lot of the projected missions these frigates will be more than sufficient and the limiting factor will be number of hulls. The Navy's big problem with projected future commitments keeps coming up as "one ship can't be in two places at once."

Additionally the savings is even more about the next class of destroyers that will take advantage of the new technology that makes the frigates viable - and will thus be even more capable, but even more expensive. So while these frigates are only a modest savings vis a vis the Arleighs, they should look a lot better in the future.

That's the pitch. The reality that modern military procurement consistently sees massive cost overruns and is often paired with under-delivery of capability is absolutely a reasonable critique. But it's not quite the same question.

The answer to "what does the Navy want?" is "a ship that has 80% of a destroyer's capability at ~60% the cost."

That leads to "is this at all feasible?" to which the answer is "new technology suggests maybe, but it will probably be more like 70% capability and 70% cost, which may still be worthwhile."

Which leads to, "is there any chance the US procurement process will ever result in even the 70% cost/70% capability result?" to which the answer is a derisive laughter.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Didn’t Seawolf->Virginia miraculously work out?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alaan posted:

Didn’t Seawolf->Virginia miraculously work out?
It did, so that means you have to decide whether this new frigate problem looks more like that, or more like... basically everything else the US military does.

And I don't mean that facetiously. That's the problem whenever proposals like this come up. You've got a program to address a real need that makes sense on paper, just enough times its worked out that you can't dismiss it out of hand, and a lot of counter-examples that say its gonna go sideways.

Of course not every program meets the first criteria - it's well worth asking "do we even really need this?" and "is it even reasonably possible?" There are plenty of times where the answer is "no" to either or both and the US has done it anyways.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Which leads to, "is there any chance the US procurement process will ever result in even the 70% cost/70% capability result?" to which the answer is a derisive laughter.

Well in this case I think there's a reason to be slightly optimistic because instead of wanting disruptive breakthrough into next generation technology, they want existing, proven designs.

https://news.usni.org/2018/02/16/navy-picks-five-contenders-next-generation-frigate-ffgxprogram

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Why are they spending $4b apiece on frigates :psyduck: Unless my math is horribly wrong, 15 frigates for $60B sounds pricey, even accounting for the fact that it's CDN and not USD.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why are they spending $4b apiece on frigates :psyduck: Unless my math is horribly wrong, 15 frigates for $60B sounds pricey, even accounting for the fact that it's CDN and not USD.

That does sound absolutely bonkers, but it DOES waste a lot of money when you draw things out instead of committing to a reasonable contract and getting the ball rolling. That's part of why sequester-era DOD budgets caused serious problems. A lot of money was wasted on bandaids to keep things working because they couldn't sign the real contract, which ended up costing much, much more in the long run.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Cant the Canadians just buy a proven and tested platform out there?

The German Baden-Württemberg-class frigate comes in at 2/3rds of a billion per ship.

The South Korean Sejong the Great-class destroyer comes in at about a billion per ship.

Both countries are allies so I dont see why this is so hard to just call em up, ask for a buy 12 get 1 free kinda deal and call it a day.

Canadian procurement makes no goddamn sense. I would bet Quebec and Bombardier is involved in this fiasco in some way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Government shipbuilding procurement in Canada is a giant dumpster fire of money. Program has been going on for over five years now, still no ship delivered.

Meanwhile a private company bought a container ship, converted it to an auxiliary tanker / supply vessel, and is leasing it to the government for $Beaucoup because welp, the RCN’s last tanker caught fire.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Saint Celestine posted:

The German Baden-Württemberg-class frigate comes in at 2/3rds of a billion per ship.

The South Korean Sejong the Great-class destroyer comes in at about a billion per ship.

Both countries are allies so I dont see why this is so hard to just call em up, ask for a buy 12 get 1 free kinda deal and call it a day.

Canadian procurement makes no goddamn sense. I would bet Quebec and Bombardier is involved in this fiasco in some way.

Reading the full article would have answered that no they wouldn’t?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

Government shipbuilding procurement in Canada is a giant dumpster fire of money. Program has been going on for over five years now, still no ship delivered.

Meanwhile a private company bought a container ship, converted it to an auxiliary tanker / supply vessel, and is leasing it to the government for $Beaucoup because welp, the RCN’s last tanker caught fire.

That thing was the only thing to be delivered on time/under budget yeah?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

None of the NSPS contracts were awarded in Quebec; Bombardier isn’t involved. This is all Nova Scotia and BC.

The Astérix is from Quebec though.

Raenir Salazar posted:

That thing was the only thing to be delivered on time/under budget yeah?

Yep. It wasn’t even part of the plan to start with.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

mlmp08 posted:

The firing pattern is a lot trippier when it's engaging a target rather than doing pattern test fires like in the above video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVUISS8oHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ6YChXRn_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLuUd0VK2s

Keep your barrels in tolerance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPxbZ7lLc4

A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tias posted:

You'll probably get a kick out of knowing that the same thing applies to humans: A coroner( or, I think, a dentist) can determine if you were born after 1945 by seeing if there's trace radioactive elements in your body. I'm not sure where they're located, but I'm pretty sure it's legit.

Strontium isotopes can replace calcium in your teeth and bones, that's usually a pretty good measure

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeaborneClink posted:

It's the Canadian way

We say "we need to save money" and then in procurement, specify multipurpose things, to "do more with less"

which of course costs more

Setting aside doing it in Canada, which of course costs poo poo tons more

and the result of that is we spend more and get less as a hefty part of that procurement is converted to baksheeh

which next time we need to get something, we say "we need to save money"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Saint Celestine posted:

Irving shipbuilding is similar if not french

While I still have problems with Mortibis's specific argument about trusting the free market to provide in national defense, it is clear the warship replacement isn't working and I want to buy foreign

FrozenVent posted:

It is an irony that stings that the Quebec shipyard that wasn't involved in the NSP not only has provided the only actual ship so far, they've done it on budget and the #2 man in National Defense was fired because it was interfering with the Government's efforts to ignore and not buy it while being egged on by Irving

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My impression of Canadian navy procurement is that the country is too small to afford the kind of large-scale, long-term programs that would let it develop and keep a competitive shipbuilding industry, but too proud to buy from competitive foreign shipyards. Therefore, each time there's a procurement program, a ton of money has to be spent on getting the industry back up to speed, and then it is allowed to wither away until next time where the whole process has to be started anew.

Canada should just have accepted the Fincantiera/Naval Group proposition. It's kind of astounding that you had two vendors going on, "wait, your poo poo is impressively wrong, just let us fix that for you it's too painful to watch" and you said "no".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They just pay one of their shipyards $4billion to make all the placards on an arleigh burke bilingual.

That way they get s ship and a make work program!

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

My impression of Canadian navy procurement is that the country is too small to afford the kind of large-scale, long-term programs that would let it develop and keep a competitive shipbuilding industry, but too proud to buy from competitive foreign shipyards. Therefore, each time there's a procurement program, a ton of money has to be spent on getting the industry back up to speed, and then it is allowed to wither away until next time where the whole process has to be started anew.

The Netherlands has half the population and maintains a naval shipbuilding industry. But that comes at the cost of exporting boats to authoritarian regimes and selling our own navy ships before the end of their useful lifespan to keep building high end new stuff. It's also embedded in a larger shipbuilding sector focused on tugs, superyachts, dredgers and the offshore industry.

How's the civilian shipbuilding industry in Canada?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kinda curious why we don’t do that with Arleigh Burke’s. Basically lease them for 10 then sell off to allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Saint Celestine posted:

Worse, the Irvings. They more or less own most of the province of New Brunswick (and literally own all of the newspapers in it) and bankrolled the leadership campaigns of both of the leaders of the main parties in provincial politics. They also have an immense amount of clout across Atlantic Canada.