Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
how does that work, does my real doctor say "yeah totally service related" then it gets submitted to VA and then they deny the claim like 2 years later?

thats my understanding of it and I also should get my uh big rating upped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The VA just told me to take ibuprofen for what was two bulged disks, so I decided to use my health insurance to go to a real doctor that gave me an actual treatment plan.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If motrin isn't good enough for you than you just don't have enough heart

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Mustang posted:

Sir I'm not in your platoon you won't have to brief it

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mods change my name posted:

how does that work, does my real doctor say "yeah totally service related" then it gets submitted to VA and then they deny the claim like 2 years later?

thats my understanding of it and I also should get my uh big rating upped

If it's an initial claim it might not take long. Mine was submitted in June or July by my VSO and I had my rating and backpay by the beginning of October. Do it, you earned it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

so what's going on with you man is it time for me to update your avatar with a skull yet

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm just exhausted from living at work for the last year, wondering what tasks the end of the day briefing my superiors go to will think up for me to do. Occasionally offering push back on some of this bullshit and constantly being told "no, do it anyway." Not trusting anyone that outranks me with any of the concerns or personal problems I might be having because despite the words that come out of their mouths about "taking care of soldiers" it's pretty obvious none of them give a single gently caress.

I've been looking back on the past year of busting my rear end and wearing myself out for my unit and wondering what the gently caress I did it for. A pat on the back for a good job done? The only thing I've gotten from the past year that means anything to me is the respect of my soldiers and NCOs, who are also the only people in my unit that I trust.

I've definitely developed a drinking problem which I am not at all willing to discuss with anyone that outranks me. I'm also reasonably certain I'm an insomniac now and have a hard time falling asleep at night.

Transitioning to staff has just made me realize that everything is worse than I ever thought it was and that nothing is going to get better and that the delusional LTC I work for is never going to change and that nothing he says about "taking care of soldiers" means poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'm just exhausted from living at work for the last year, wondering what tasks the end of the day briefing my superiors go to will think up for me to do. Occasionally offering push back on some of this bullshit and constantly being told "no, do it anyway." Not trusting anyone that outranks me with any of the concerns or personal problems I might be having because despite the words that come out of their mouths about "taking care of soldiers" it's pretty obvious none of them give a single gently caress.

I've been looking back on the past year of busting my rear end and wearing myself out for my unit and wondering what the gently caress I did it for. A pat on the back for a good job done? The only thing I've gotten from the past year that means anything to me is the respect of my soldiers and NCOs, who are also the only people in my unit that I trust.

I've definitely developed a drinking problem which I am not at all willing to discuss with anyone that outranks me. I'm also reasonably certain I'm an insomniac now and have a hard time falling asleep at night.

Transitioning to staff has just made me realize that everything is worse than I ever thought it was and that nothing is going to get better and that the delusional LTC I work for is never going to change and that nothing he says about "taking care of soldiers" means poo poo.

Have you considered not trying as hard? You're getting out, why the hell are you busting your rear end?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

AV/Post

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They just sent out yet another command climate survey to my battalion Mustang. I guess they're hoping to get that title back from yours of lowest morale! I know I did my part.

On the other hand, now that I have a car again, I can escape this hell hole and go enjoy the PNW. I made the mistake of not traveling around Alaska enough when I was there, I will not make that mistake again here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

This needs to go into one of the stickied threads. :yikes:

On the bright side at least you'll get Post 9/11 bennies + VA disability fun bucks for your sadbrains/alcohol abuse.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Go to behavioral health or a private psychologist NOW. Trust me, so much easier to nip that poo poo in the early stages.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

My LT wrote an article in the marine corps times calling out the bullshit in his unit and it owned. If you write an article things will either 1) get better (lol) or 2) you'll no longer be in charge of anything

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
yeah dude get help. we all gently caress with you and think a lot of the stuff you're going through is funny but we definitely don't want to see you end up in a bad way. even if you think you've got a handle on it and you won't get to the point of no return, do something to try to help yourself. we are a good soundboard but i don't think any of us are qualified to really help stop the downward spiral that you seem to be headed towards.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mustang, I'll have some weed waiting for you when you get out.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Go to behavioral health or a private psychologist NOW. Trust me, so much easier to nip that poo poo in the early stages.

Reiterating this but also make sure its a private doctor or one of the vet centers if they'll see you. Notice I said vet center, not VA. Dunno how it works for AD but ya, find someone you can speak freely to and process the poo poo you are going through. The answer is not in that loving bottle.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Violent tremors and nightmares are at the bottom of that bottle.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Resign

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Don't drink so much that you poo poo yourself on a morning PT run like one of my baby Joes did.

On the plus side though if you do manage to do that you get a paid vacation to a drying out facility. The one in Alabama looked surprisingly nice, especially so for Alabama.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You’ll never get that pat on the back FYI. But you’ll never stop searching

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Even though I’m a koolaid drinker, I agree with the get private help train of thought. You only get one life, no what matter what you may think of the Army, eventually it won’t be there and you will be left only with yourself. Do the hard work on yourself now so that you enjoy life that much more once you are out. You don’t want to be on a downward spiral on the way out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yo im not trying to bandwagon here but god drat dude go talk to someone. I waited a year after my dad died to talk to someone about my depression and i wasted so much time.

you don't have to feel this way, all jokes aside. go talk to someone.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Please go see someone

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hey Mustang, I’m just some dumbass civilian with brokebrains that hangs out in here but seriously please go talk to someone about what you are going through. I’ve read your posts about your career for years and while they’ve brought me some good schadenfreude I don’t want to see you actually spiral downwards, which is definitely where drinking and no sleep will lead.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You guys are right. I’m going to schedule appointments and if they get in the way of making sure tasks get done on time than that’s just the way it’s going to have to be

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

You guys are right. I’m going to schedule appointments and if they get in the way of making sure tasks get done on time than that’s just the way it’s going to have to be

Are you getting out soon? Soonish?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

you're in the lovely position of giving poo poo about your job in a profession that will beat you down for giving a poo poo. worry about yourself and your own health before you worry about your job, because you can't do one if you don't have the other.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Moving from mockery to genuine concern was a hit I did not want from the army thread bong :smith:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Moving from mockery to genuine concern was a hit I did not want from the army thread bong :smith:

You're right. Mustang, have you worked on your resiliency by hunting the good stuff?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You're right. Mustang, have you worked on your resiliency by hunting the good stuff?

Triggered

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Work hard to go to Ranger school and get a slot at RASP so you can take a platoon in 3rd Batt and feel that disappointment all over again

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Also please note I said psychologist and not psychiatrist. The latter is great if you and your provider are decently aware of what's going on and you're best served by drugs and therapy. Psychologist is a better starting point because unlike a psychiatrist, they actually discuss your issues at length and delve and the primary purpose isn't to determine appropriate medication.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Mustang posted:

and if they get in the way of making sure tasks get done

This part is where you will realize that your chain of command gives an even less of a gently caress about your well-being than you can imagine yet at this point.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah this is one of those things no command will give a poo poo about. Just remember you have to live with yourself a lot longer than you have to live with them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
At least my superiors give a poo poo about me. I don’t know how else I’d juggle this.

We currently have one car only, and I use it to drive to the clinic for my light duty. Past week I was seriously struggling to walk, and was in massive pain. The LTC got me home, and sent someone to get my wife so she can drive the mustang home so we won’t ve car less. On the days I’ve needed supervision, and my wife has had work or school related issues, there have been all kinds of people in my house supervising my medicated rear end.

And I was supposed to go to work today, but I was hurting, so I called again and just asked over the phobe if I could keep laying down. It was no trouble.

I can see how every point of this could have been a parallel universe of miserable recovery, but so far pretty good.

Glad you going to get help. Also remember, MFLC doesn’t need you to have family. Or life lol.

They are universally badass and they cover the tracks between gay army and the visits.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
this experience you have is fleeting

ask mustang!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

At least my superiors give a poo poo about me. I don’t know how else I’d juggle this.

We currently have one car only, and I use it to drive to the clinic for my light duty. Past week I was seriously struggling to walk, and was in massive pain. The LTC got me home, and sent someone to get my wife so she can drive the mustang home so we won’t ve car less. On the days I’ve needed supervision, and my wife has had work or school related issues, there have been all kinds of people in my house supervising my medicated rear end.

And I was supposed to go to work today, but I was hurting, so I called again and just asked over the phobe if I could keep laying down. It was no trouble.

I can see how every point of this could have been a parallel universe of miserable recovery, but so far pretty good.

Glad you going to get help. Also remember, MFLC doesn’t need you to have family. Or life lol.

They are universally badass and they cover the tracks between gay army and the visits.

Mustang posted:

We had a command climate survey for my company recently and the worst thing anyone had to say was that its hosed up we don't have our own printer and have to use BNs. The civilian dude that put together the results said that he usually only see's that in the SOF units on post. Not that we're super high speed or anything just that morale is pretty high. 

Me and my 3 section leaders are all the same age, my PSG only a couple years older so we all get along really well. I only have one troublesome soldier and he's not even really that much trouble. 

Seriously the most fun I've ever had at a job.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
MFLC is good but you can only do 12 sessions if the therapist is by the book. I got lucky with mine and they saw me through my whole process. Ymmv

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
As a line medic I send a bunch of dudes to MFLC and none of them ever abide by that 12 rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang is a goon in a well. He's treating the symptoms with booze and complaining here instead of treating the root cause of the issue, which is giving a gently caress.