Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

god bless you, utopia sprawl/snapcaster mage/JTMS guy

actually wasn't there some UG turbojace deck running around with lotus cobras and poo poo? what about villainous wealth in that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Lotus Cobra, Ramunap Excavator, and Tireless Tracker is a great grinding suite that can block for planeswalkers if necessary.. if you want to cast a huge Wealth with permission why not try Cobras & KotRs with Spell Queller?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I regret it if I have been annoying anyone with constant bad lists this week, but I haven't been this excited to brew in a while.

obviously this is a greedy mana base so I'm prone to variance on that, but this feels like it might be more fun to play than hard control this week.

I started with a list that had 3x villainous wealth and went from there; I hope I get to cast it, but I don't want to lose a bunch of games with 2 of them in my hand. If I only run 1, that's actually impossible.

Hey, do you man. I love seeing weird Modern brews.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Heeding advice about Lilly & permissions and reasoning through why that might be, I ended up sleeving this up:

quote:

Academy ruins
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Field of Ruin
2 Marsh Flats
2 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
Shambling Vent
Celestial Colonnade
Creeping Tar Pit
2 Hallowed Fountain
Watery Grave
Godless Shrine
Plains
2 Island
2 Swamp

2 Thoughtseize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Serum Visions
3 Path to Exile
3 Fatal Push
2 Collective Brutality
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
2 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Supreme Verdict
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Engineered Explosives

SB
Relic of Progenitus
Timely Reinforcements
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Stony Silence
Kor Firewalker
2 Negate
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Ancestral Vision

Tron probably sucks, as usual for my decks.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also I want to talk metagaming with anyone on Bant Coco, I'm using Chew's list with Geists in the board

// 15 Sideboard
// 5 Creature
SB: 3 Geist of Saint Traft
SB: 2 Reflector Mage

// 1 Enchantment
SB: 1 Worship

// 7 Instant
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 3 Unified Will
SB: 2 Blessed Alliance

// 1 Land
SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

// 1 Planeswalker
SB: 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
I feel like the combo matchup so far has been really, really good, but the lack of Kessig and Izzet Staticaster make me a bit of a dog to a gummed up board state. There have been more than a few times playing vs. Merfolk and Mardu where I could start closing the game out easily if I could boost a creature but I just don't have that option. Any suggestions on how I can alleviate that?

I've thought about Rogue's Passage as a pseudo Kessig WR replacing a basic? Also I really want to try to fit in a Lightning Greaves into the deck after seeing that list at PT RIX. Hasty KotRs seem nasty and it protects active Spell Quellers.

Only things I see missing in your SB are: Eidolon of Rhetoric, Settle the Wreckage and Kitchen Finks. I feel like they really help with Burn (not the Settle) and go wide decks.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you wanna cast villainous wealth in modern, just start with the GB Tron shell like I did :v:

On Tuesday, at 1 life against GW Druid, I tap out for a wealth, get finks, druid, vizier, BoP, path. I path their duskwatch recruiter ( there was a druid on board, but the recruiter represented having to lose my copy of his combo to stop lethal, an outlet if he assembled the combo, and a way to dig for ballista to kill me regardless).

I had a second Wealth in hand so I was representing Infinite Wealth if I untapped. Unfortunately he had a chord and another duskwatch as his cards in hand but it was great potential.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Blue Moon FNM Report: Chickened out because of the crazy storm blowing through the northeast US right now :negative:

I did some goldfishing at home and thought of something- would I be better off running Abrades in my SB rather than Ancient Grudges? My only green source for Grudge's flashback cost is a single Breeding Pool, and I also have a singleton EE that could possibly benefit from the green mana. However that Breeding Pool feels really awkward to draw, as most of the time it's just an Island that comes in tapped that's also a feel-bad with my own Blood Moons. I could turn my single basic Mountain into a Stomping Ground and then turn the Breeding Pool into an Island, but Abrade might just be better due to its flexibility. What are your thoughts?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
When I was on blue moon last week I had 1 abrade main and 1 side and was pretty happy with it. Testing jeskai this week and still playing 1 main.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Our FNM headcount got desecrated by weather and people gone to Worcester and it didn't fire. Jammed some games where I was the oldest person by about 15 years *sigh*
Still, gimmie my idyllic small town life jamming games with college kids, over the poo poo that was life in DC, any day!

edit (jamming games on Mage on a gray day while I procrastinate stacking a cord of wood):

(to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine") -- I made my land drops, all of my land drops. I made my land drops each turn today -- my opponent, they missed their land drops, and now my opponent's run away. They scooped on turn 3, it was just turn 3; though they started with a leyline in play; they scooped on turn 3, it really burned me, because I was on curve to play EE into jace.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 3, 2018

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

How are the Eldrazi and Taxes decks? I was looking at this and would love to cast Sculler and TKS:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/968788#online

Bonus is that most of the cards I don't have aren't $100 each. However, the mana seems potentially bad since you aren't searching for anything for fixing.

I was also thinking of a GW hatebears list, but this seems to be a little more accessible right now.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Yoked posted:

How are the Eldrazi and Taxes decks? I was looking at this and would love to cast Sculler and TKS:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/968788#online

Bonus is that most of the cards I don't have aren't $100 each. However, the mana seems potentially bad since you aren't searching for anything for fixing.

I was also thinking of a GW hatebears list, but this seems to be a little more accessible right now.

What do you still need? I have an extra shell of it minus vials and some sideboard cards because a buddy who was building it hit some money trouble.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I am looking to build on MTGO, but I would need the Eldrazi and some pieces of the mana base. The hand and land disruption seem pretty good right now, but I have only just got back into the game recently.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried out Grixis Control in Modern recently? I've seen a few lists for the deck popping up online, and in comparing them all I have pretty much everything the deck could want outside of a couple of Jaces and probably a fourth Snapcaster, all of which I was going to pick up eventually anyway. Wondering if any goons have been working on lists.

E: Based on what I've seen online and what I own, I think this is where I want to start-
1 Blood Crypt
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Field of Ruin
3 Island
1 Mountain
4 Polluted Delta
3 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave
1 Countersquall
3 Cryptic Command
1 Dreadbore
1 Electrolyze
2 Fatal Push
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Logic Knot
1 Search for Azcanta
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Spell Snare
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Terminate
4 Thought Scour
2 Thoughtseize
1 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Crumble to Dust
2 Dispel
2 Dragon's Claw
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Stone Rain
1 Vendilion Clique

I also want to try Young Pyromancer, Lili of the Veil (which I've seen in some SBs), and maybe more discard? I've also seen a lot of these lists running a singleton Helicopter Parents which I could be talked into. I am not a control player in any sense, some give me some guidance please.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 7, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I think I'm going to play Miracles this week, but I might sleeve this up to. It's "cards I have laying around BBE ponza", I am missing some of the usual pieces. It's a little bit of a glass cannon, but pretty hateful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think I'm going to play Miracles this week, but I might sleeve this up to. It's "cards I have laying around BBE ponza", I am missing some of the usual pieces. It's a little bit of a glass cannon, but pretty hateful.

Rampager seems pretty bad if you're not all in aggro, and that's around the top of the curve where Ponza starts running out of gas, I think you just want more threats there.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Doesn't have Plow Under. Hard pass.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Missing the two greatest 5 drops: Stormbreath Dragon and Primal Command.
I also wonder on the utility of LD lands in a deck trying to T2 Blood Moon.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Missing the two greatest 5 drops: Stormbreath Dragon and Primal Command.
I also wonder on the utility of LD lands in a deck trying to T2 Blood Moon.

Sir, you misspelled Plow Under as Primal Command.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Not a glass cannon at all. I've been playing my list for years now. Primeval Titan isn't necessary, nor are the Rampagers.

My list, which is much more resilient for the late game: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/939158#paper

It's specifically tuned with Burn and Affinity in mind, Obstinate Baloth and Thragtusk put in work.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I'm gonna run this faeries list again. Although I went 1-2 last week, it was mostly because of a few clutch draws in games where I was about to stablize. It's been pretty fun and I enjoy getting to play faeries again.

https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922075-jace-is-a-faerie/en

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

Doesn't have Plow Under. Hard pass.

My man.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Really, I'd play 4 EWitness and Avalanche Riders. You don't need 6 drops. Your win condition is killing your opponent's desire to play Magic.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Really, I'd play 4 EWitness and Avalanche Riders. You don't need 6 drops. Your win condition is killing your opponent's desire to play Magic.

There are other wincons?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

There are other wincons?

Yeah, you can Nephalia Drownyard them out.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, you can Nephalia Drownyard them out.

:discourse:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

I play U/W Acid Trip in pauper and I can confirm that EvilBeard is correct.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Some decent tron & storm hate in Dominaria, anyway.

Dampening Sphere (2)
If a land would produce 2 or more mana it produces C instead of any other color or type.
Spells cost (1) more for each spell played this turn

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Dampening Sphere (2)
If a land would produce 2 or more mana it produces C instead of any other color or type.

And hoses tron like no body's business :getin:

Went 3-0 with the faeries list I posted earlier. People do not know how to sideboard vs tempo, they keep trying to prep for control but the incremental advantage I gain from a variety of sources just snowball effect them down. Also Bitterblossom is a very good card and it's fun playing with 3 previously banned cards as well.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Dampening Sphere (2)

Not a fan of this kind of design. People didn't really need more ways to hate out Storm.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Brownhat posted:

Not a fan of this kind of design. People didn't really need more ways to hate out Storm.

seems like a catchall against elves as well.

Thinking of running that weird bant list that has been 5-0'ing leagues lately.

Mainboard (60)
Lands (21)
4 Flooded Strand
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Windswept Heath
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Temple Garden
1 Breeding Pool
1 Plains
2 Island
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Gavony Township

Creatures (30)
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Spell Queller
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
2 Drogskol Captain

Non-Creature Spells (9)
4 Curious Obsession
4 Vapor Snag
1 Tamiyo, Field Researcher

Sideboard (15)
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Kataki, Wars Wage
3 Disdainful Stroke (????)
2 Rhox War Monk
2 Tamiyo, Field Researcher

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Mezzanon posted:

3 Disdainful Stroke (????)

Scapeshift & Tron

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

seems like a catchall against elves as well.

I feel like I'd be happy that people were siding this in over better removal, barring some weird proactive deck that can use this without shooting itself in the foot.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Damping Sphere looks tight. Tron needed a cheap hate piece that could be slotted into any deck (that isn't a bad Strip Mine).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Modern fam, I'm still stuck on GW Elves and RW Prison while I slowly piece together Bant decks. How hosed am I against Jund in a post-Bloodbraid Elf unbanning?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Modern fam, I'm still stuck on GW Elves and RW Prison while I slowly piece together Bant decks. How hosed am I against Jund in a post-Bloodbraid Elf unbanning?

Pretty sure Prison decks don't really give a gently caress about what they're playing, especially a t2 Blood Moon. I don't know about the Elves v Jund match up though, seems like it's bad even before the unban.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Should I play UR Breach or GW Ramunap/KotR Company at FNM tonight? I know GW better than UR and I think it's a better deck right now, but I've been meaning to get some reps in with UR and might just need to take some lumps tonight to get some experience. Help me make important life decisions goons.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 9, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Should I play UR Breach or GW Ramunap/KotR Company at FNM tonight? I know GW better than UR and I think it's a better deck right now, but I've been meaning to get some reps in with UR and might just need to take some lumps tonight to get some experience. Help me make important life decisions goons.

Which deck do you like playing? gives you the most sexual gratification?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thisuck posted:

I enjoy GW and I also enjoy running people over with Emrakul. But I haven't played this Breach deck yet so I don't know how much I'd like it in that version. Might be more, might be less.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thisuck posted:

Anything with Knight of the Reliquary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Should I play UR Breach or GW Ramunap/KotR Company at FNM tonight?

Always play Breach

(I'm hopefully playing mine for the first time next week)