Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Big Market isn't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Big Market isn't real.

I know. But there's different levels and he falls through several floors. Whats happening then? Is he just flopping on the ground? Are the tourists air stepping?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I know. But there's different levels and he falls through several floors. Whats happening then? Is he just flopping on the ground? Are the tourists air stepping?

Yes.

By the way, Spielberg gave Robopocalypse to his best friend (who is also directing a movie from the writers of Life): http://variety.com/2018/film/news/michael-bay-new-movies-six-underground-robopocalypse-1202721030/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Thundercracker posted:

He's playing a VR game.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's really baffling how RP1 is popular and it's flaws overlooked when it's unforgivable elsewhere. The writing is worse than twilight, the cg characters look worse than battle Angel whosits, its references so pathetic they make family guy look nuanced, and plot insultingly stupid. It's so goddamn patronizing I can't believe anybody fell for it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's really baffling how RP1 is popular and it's flaws overlooked when it's unforgivable elsewhere. The writing is worse than twilight, the cg characters look worse than battle Angel whosits, its references so pathetic they make family guy look nuanced, and plot insultingly stupid. It's so goddamn patronizing I can't believe anybody fell for it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/turned-apartment-arcade-article-1.1816727

The New York Daily News posted:

But three things happened that would change Kooluris’ life forever: The apartment didn’t sell, he began feeling claustrophobic living in his girlfriend’s apartment with all her stuff, and he happened upon a sci-fi novel called "Ready Player One" about 1980s video game culture.

"The book just blew me away," he remembers. "It awakened something in me and I started thinking that I can't believe I'm not surrounded by all these things that I grew up loving."

So he decided to transform his old living quarters into his personal fantasy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: that's incredible. I hate to enjoy something in the Daily News, but that's written so perfectly judgementally.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's not that it's popular, it's that so many professional literary critics who really should have known better gave it glowing reviews and high scores. This isn't something like Twilight or 50 Shades where it got really popular with a niche audience while being looked down on by the pros or something like The Big Bang Theory where 'real' nerds are rolling their eyes at the normies totally stealing their culture, just look at this poo poo:

quote:

“The science-fiction writer John Scalzi has aptly referred to READY PLAYER ONE as a ‘nerdgasm’ [and] there can be no better one-word description of this ardent fantasy artifact about fantasy culture…But Mr. Cline is able to incorporate his favorite toys and games into a perfectly accessible narrative.” —Janet Maslin, The New York Times

“Triggers memories and emotions embedded in the psyche of a generation…[Cline crafts] a fresh and imaginative world from our old toy box, and finds significance in there among the collectibles.” —Entertainment Weekly

“A most excellent ride…the conceit is a smart one, and we happily root for [the heroes] on their quest…fully satisfying.” —Boston Globe

“Enchanting…Willy Wonka meets the Matrix. This novel undoubtedly qualifies Cline as the hottest geek on the planet right now. [But] you don’t have to be a geek to get it.” —USA Today

“An addictive read…part intergalactic scavenger hunt, part romance and all heart.” —CNN.com

“An action-packed, highly entertaining, nostalgic thrill ride through the past combined with the danger and excitement of a not-too-distant future. It marries the fantastical world of Harry Potter with a touch of Orson Scott Card—where fantasy is reality, geeks are cool, and the possibilities are endless.” —New York Journal of Books

“Ridiculously fun and large-hearted, and you don’t have to remember the Reagan administration to love it…[Cline] takes a far-out premise and engages the reader instantly…You’ll wish you could make it go on and on.” —NPR.org

“A delirious, crypto-nerd fantasia…Crammed with ’80s nostalgia and sugar-high prose, it’s ridiculous and addictive and full of toy surprises.” —Village Voice

“A smart, funny thriller that both celebrates and critiques online culture…Layered with inside jokes and sly references.” —San Francisco Chronicle

“A fun, funny and fabulously entertaining first novel…This novel’s large dose of 1980s trivia is a delight…[but] even readers who need Google to identify Commodore 64 or Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde, will enjoy this memorabilian feast.” —Cleveland Plain Dealer

“The grown-up’s ‘Harry Potter’…the mystery and fantasy in this novel weaves itself in the most delightful way, and the details that make up Mr. Cline’s world are simply astounding. READY PLAYER ONE has it all.” —Huffington Post

“If you identify yourself as a nerd, geek, gamer, 1980s history buff, a fan of science, fantasy, or dystopian fiction, otaku, 1980s movie fan, romantic, someone who grew up in the 1980s, or a human with emotions—you will enjoy Ready Player One. If you identify with two or more of the above, it’s a guaranteed new favorite novel.” —Sacramento News & Review

“A modern-day fairy tale…so self-assured and enthralling that it’s hard to believe this is his first novel.” —Long Island Press

“Incredibly entertaining…Drawing on everything from “Back to the Future” to Roald Dahl to Neal Stephenson’s groundbreaking “Snow Crash,” Cline has made READY PLAYER ONE a geek fantasia, ’80s culture memoir and commentary on the future of online behavior all at once.” —Austin American-Statesman

“An exhilerating, unpredictable trip…Part Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and part The Da Vinci Code with a healthy dose of Tron.” —Asbury Park Press

“READY PLAYER ONE is the ultimate lottery ticket.” —New York Daily News

“[Picture] the adventure comedy of Mike Judge’s Idiocracy meets South Park’s Imaginationland with a dash of Willy Wonka, except all of the cynicism has been replaced by sheer geeky love. Grade: A.” —AVClub.com

“A preposterously great read and a richly imagined science-fiction world that uses the very idea of nostalgia as a thematic jumping-off point…One of the true geek events of the year.” —HitFix.com

“This non-gamer loved every page of READY PLAYER ONE.” —Charlaine Harris, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Sookie Stackhouse series

“A treasure for anyone already nostalgic for the late 20th century. . . But it’s also a great read for anyone who likes a good book.” —Wired.com

“A gunshot of fun with a wicked sense of timing and a cast of characters that you’re pumping your fist in the air with whenever they succeed. I haven’t been this much on the edge of my seat for an ending in years.” —Chicago Reader

“A rollicking, surprise-laden, potboiling, thrilling adventure story…. I loved every sentence of this book.” —Mark Frauenfelder, BoingBoing

“A ‘frakking’ good read [featuring] incredible creative detail…I grinned at the sheer audacity of Cline’s imagination.” —Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

“[A] fantastic page-turner….READY PLAYER ONE may be science fiction, but it’s also written for people who have never picked up an SF novel in their lives…”
—Annalee Newitz, io9.com

“Intriguing and thrilling. Gamers and fans of ’80s pop culture will find many familiar references throughout the story…Definitely an enjoyable read and one that can be appreciated by fans of many different genres.” —Examiner.com

“Gorgeously geeky, superbly entertaining, this really is a spectacularly successful debut.” —Daily Mail (UK)

“Fascinating and imaginative…It’s non-stop action when gamers must navigate clever puzzles and outwit determined enemies in a virtual world in order to save a real one. Readers are in for a wild ride.” —Terry Brooks, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Shannara series

“I was blown away by this book…A book of ideas, a potboiler, a game-within-a-novel, a serious science-fiction epic, a comic pop culture mash-up–call this novel what you will, but READY PLAYER ONE will defy every label you try to put on it. Here, finally, is this generation’s Neuromancer.” —Will Lavender, New York Times bestselling author of Dominance

“I really, really loved READY PLAYER ONE…Cline expertly mines a copious vein of 1980s pop culture, catapulting the reader on a light-speed adventure in an advanced but backward-looking future.” —Daniel H. Wilson, New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse

“A nerdgasm…imagine Dungeons and Dragons and an 80s video arcade made hot, sweet love, and their child was raised in Azeroth.” —John Scalzi, New York Times bestselling author of Old Man’s War

“Completely fricking awesome…This book pleased every geeky bone in my geeky body. I felt like it was written just for me.” —Patrick Rothfuss, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Wise Man’s Fear

“An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline’s imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe.” —Booklist (starred review)

“This adrenaline shot of uncut geekdom, a quest through a virtual world, is loaded with enough 1980s nostalgia to please even the most devoted John Hughes fans… sweet, self-deprecating Wade, whose universe is an odd mix of the real past and the virtual present, is the perfect lovable/unlikely hero.” —Publishers Weekly (Pick of the Week)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How did that happen :stare:

In one fell swoop integrity in professional criticism fell apart

In 372 pages we'll never get back Mike Nelson said that the word "geek" has become as nausiatinly overused as the word "groovy" was in the 70s and boy was he right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Because “nerd culture” is a pervasive cancer and “remember when... ?” is the lowest and most accessible form of conversation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
loving John Scalzi liked RPO!? I used to have a lot of respect for that guy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Scalzi enjoying it damns the book far more than all the explanations from others, at least for me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think it's a pity that Valerian apparently cut the bit of the backstory where Laureline is lierally a 16th century French peasant Valerian picked up in the past because he hosed up and broke Time Law, because knowing that bit helps sell the joke that Valerian is a Zapp Brannigan-esque meathead dumbass and Laureline is the one with actual sense.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My problem with the leads in Valerian is I kept forgetting they weren't brother and sister because they look so much alike.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

It's not that it's popular, it's that so many professional literary critics who really should have known better gave it glowing reviews and high scores. This isn't something like Twilight or 50 Shades where it got really popular with a niche audience while being looked down on by the pros or something like The Big Bang Theory where 'real' nerds are rolling their eyes at the normies totally stealing their culture, just look at this poo poo:

:piaa:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Uncle Wemus posted:

the good measure of whether or not it's a good book would probably be "if this didn't have a reference to everything white nerds between the ages of 28-40 love, would it still be a good story with good writing" and the answer is "super nope"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ready Player One is merely too obviously bad, like Eragon, or Twilight, or the works of Dan Brown. It's the kind of thing that allows people to distract themselves from how terrible regular genre fiction is. All criticism ends up being repetition of the same facts and how stupid something that happens in the book is.

Thundercracker posted:

If they were going for this depiction I think they totally failed. He was way too johnny five aces competent and cool.

As a direct comparison Thor Ragnorak takes this task and actually succeeds because they lean into the idea that Thor's a self important moron much of the time. They didn't have to turn the slapstick to 11, but you get the idea.

Man, in a lot of ways Thor did Valerian better than Valerian. It's not as wild and inventive, but it does the geography of the space places much better. I was constantly confused by the settings like Big Market, which completely didn't make sense logically (especially when it came to the Z axis)

A criticism like "confusing z axis in the interdimensional virtual reality market place" is not really persuasive.

Thor: Ragnarok is a movie that homages Attack of the Clones without doing anything better.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ya know who we need to showcase for this big battle scene? A character from a movie all about anti-violence and anti-war

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The fun thing is how accidentally meta the book and movie is; pop culture being cannibalised by a fan who loves the sights and sounds and has absorbed none of the substance, and obliterating the chance for new generations to develop their own cultural icons by forcing context-free regurgitated nostalgia on them, having to obsessively memorise old mass-market entertainment or be left out of even the world of escapism.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thundercracker posted:

I'll have to watch it again though, I'm not sure what the interactions are. Big Market is introduced as being in another dimension but existing in the same space within the wall. The camera flies over the top as it fades into view and there's a large crack in the desert in our dimension, Big Market gets overlaid onscreen and the camera dives into it.

The helmets and gloves let you interact with stuff in the other dimension but there's have to be a lift existing in our dimension in order to get down to those other shops... I dunno, never really thought about it. It was a cool scene though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is kinda funny since I always assumed Garland did direct Dredd.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

A good movie can be made out of a bad book

So can a bad movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder why Garland kept it a secret. But that's really drat cool. Dredd is really drat cool.

Also, http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/the-outsider-review-jared-leto-netflix-1201936536/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rumor I heard is that DGA wouldn't let Garland take a directing credit on Dredd since he didn't have any prior experience.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Unless you really hate the guy asking you you will always give a favourable cover quote for a fellow writer. Pay forward what others did for you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Decius posted:

Unless you really hate the guy asking you you will always give a favourable cover quote for a fellow writer. Pay forward what others did for you.

the thing about John Scalzi is, while he's sort of nerdbaity in his own way and not a fantastic writer, a lot of his brand (especially nowadays after the Sad Puppies clusterfuck) is that he's an actual decent human who writes sci-fi. when people in the sci-fi community write or say horrible garbage he's usually one of the earlier people to call it out. that's why I worded my comment the way I did; I couldn't get through Redshirts either, but it struck me as distinctly less actually offensive than RPO, and he seems like an insanely good person outside of his writing.

the fact that his reaction to Ready Player One was "THIS IS AMAZING" and he didn't pick up on, at the very least, how horrifically misogynistic it is, is... odd.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 8, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Whenever you are fantasy/sci-fi authors give glowing reviews to crap books, the explanation is most likely that they are genre authors and thus without taste.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love when cover quotes or introductions written by another author/director/nerd are kind of backhanded and snarky. I remember one of the Hellboy collections having an intro that was all "Hellboy is a great comic even though Mignola gets x, x and x wrong and of course x doesn't fit the timeframe which is its strength."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, it's tracking for a $30 million opening so it appears we won't have to put up with it having any lasting cultural relevance.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Decius posted:

Or if the author isn't asking for the blurb directly, often the author and the blurb-provider are with the same publisher (never disclosed) so the blurb "request" will come from the publisher.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Before the Bada. Before the Bing. There was a race riot? The Sopranos getting a prequel movie

quote:

David Chase is finally ready to return to the New Jersey turf of his iconic creation The Sopranos. New Line has purchased the screenplay The Many Saints of Newark, the working title for a feature prequel of The Sopranos that is set in the era of the Newark riots in the 60s. That was a time when the African-Americans and the Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats, and amongst the gangsters of each group, those conflicts became especially lethal.

The script was written by Chase and Lawrence Konner, the prolific screen and television writer whose credits include The Sopranos.

Chase finally returning to expand The Sopranos lore will be welcome news to the legions who still feel that his HBO series is the greatest of all time. The groundbreaking show ran for six seasons from 1999 – 2007. It put HBO on the map, established the market for DVD sales of popular series, and won 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, five Golden Globe Awards, and Peabody Awards for its first two seasons. It launched the stars of a slew of actors and revived others, most notably the late James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Steven Van Zandt, Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli, Dominic Chianese, Steve Schirripa and on and on.

Some of the beloved characters from the series will appear in the film. I couldn’t get any more information about the plot, but the time period indicates there will be room for Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy,” the former captain of the Soprano crew (played in flashbacks by Joseph Siravo), and a younger version of his wife Livia (played indelibly in the show’s first season by Nancy Marchand), and Tony’s uncle Junior, played by Chianese.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/david-chase-the-sopranos-prequel-movie-the-many-saints-of-newark-new-line-1202319202/

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

lelandjs posted:

Heh. Like most things in RP1, it’s actually worse: Ernest’s self-insert is super excited to meet Art3mis IRL because her avatar is super hot, so therefore she must be too! But nope, she’s kinda dumpy and chubby but then he doesn’t actually care because Ernest suddenly realizes appearances don’t matter!

Though from checking IMDB it looks like they changed that for the movie because the actress playing Art3mis isn’t even Hollywood fat.

...Also, Ernest’s IMDB profile pic is him cosplaying as a Ghostbuster with Harry “I sexually harassed several of my female employees” Knowles lurking in the background.

I'm deeply against doing anything that could be perceived as defending RPO, but this isn't true. Her avatar is described as realistically reubenesque, but with weird features like a pointy chin that Cline apparently thinks are attractive? He's very clear that he is definitely not into her in an objectifying way, no sir, definitely not, and then he lusts over her repeatedly and has saved local copies of every image she's ever posted on her blog (OF HER AVATAR) because he's a well adjusted young man.

Her Massive Physical Defect that she is very ashamed of and constantly tells him will repulse him is a port wine stain on her face. Otherwise, she looks very much like her avatar and is the zaftig woman of his dreams. He is able to look past this terrible deformity because he loves her for her heart and they have had many fun nights discussing their favorite episodes of Family loving Ties

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a commercial and while they went with a skinny actress she still has the birthmark on her face, which is a really stupid thing to keep.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing about John Scalzi is, while he's sort of nerdbaity in his own way and not a fantastic writer, a lot of his brand (especially nowadays after the Sad Puppies clusterfuck) is that he's an actual decent human who writes sci-fi. when people in the sci-fi community write or say horrible garbage he's usually one of the earlier people to call it out. that's why I worded my comment the way I did; I couldn't get through Redshirts either, but it struck me as distinctly less actually offensive than RPO, and he seems like an insanely good person outside of his writing.

the fact that his reaction to Ready Player One was "THIS IS AMAZING" and he didn't pick up on, at the very least, how horrifically misogynistic it is, is... odd.

Redshirts is a weird book because the premise is fun (a young officer gets his first posting and discovers that the ship and its crew is somehow being influenced by a modern day sci-fi TV show and what's worse is that it is a very poorly written show) and I really enjoyed the early parts but once it comes time to end the story the whole thing just kind of falls apart because he doesn't have a good explanation for why things are happening the way they are.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

I'm deeply against doing anything that could be perceived as defending RPO, but this isn't true. Her avatar is described as realistically reubenesque, but with weird features like a pointy chin that Cline apparently thinks are attractive? He's very clear that he is definitely not into her in an objectifying way, no sir, definitely not, and then he lusts over her repeatedly and has saved local copies of every image she's ever posted on her blog (OF HER AVATAR) because he's a well adjusted young man.

Her Massive Physical Defect that she is very ashamed of and constantly tells him will repulse him is a port wine stain on her face. Otherwise, she looks very much like her avatar and is the zaftig woman of his dreams. He is able to look past this terrible deformity because he loves her for her heart and they have had many fun nights discussing their favorite episodes of Family loving Ties
Stop making my one capital punishment exception Ernest cline
It makes me feel bad but then I remember his..."poetry"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Well, it's tracking for a $30 million opening so it appears we won't have to put up with it having any lasting cultural relevance.

Somehow, though out all the discussion of RPO I forgot that it was an actual film that was actually being released in theaters.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

a modern Buckaroo Banzai

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*pathetic fart noises*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hat Thoughts posted:

a modern Buckaroo Banzai

I am convinced that if Peter Weller & Pals finally got to make Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League, it would have a better theatrical run than this garbage.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Let Weller co-write it so it can include an elaborate thesis comparing the current political climate to The Council of Clermont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Buckaroo Banzai is good.