Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I think it'd be cool if there was some sort of bonus for scanning poo poo like rock formations/minerals, the smaller fish, etc.

It is nice that the scan info tells you what resources come out of what kinds of rock, but other than that :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

Is it normal to have not much idea what to do early on? I'm basically just scavenging poo poo so I can repair broken things on my escape pod and make a knife and stuff.

Fix stuff in your escape pod and build equipment. Once you build a repair tool you can fix the radio, it will give you more direction.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Also I think it'd be cool if there was some sort of bonus for scanning poo poo like rock formations/minerals, the smaller fish, etc.

It is nice that the scan info tells you what resources come out of what kinds of rock, but other than that :shrug:

I think you have to scan it before you can search for it in the scanner room

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Right at the start it's all about loving around and looking at cool stuff. Figuring out how to get food and water is kind of critical, then looking at making cool gear gives the most benefit. Also explore so far that you accidentally drown or get eaten for maximum fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel the route is repair tool- knife - scanner - improved fins and O2 tank - seaglide - radiation suit - lasercutter - propulsion cannon which will let you loot the Aurora and explore around it asap. Though fixing the engine room should be your goal once you can get inside.

Though your milage my vary depending on what you find early on. As I mentioned, I had a seamoth before I got a lot of other stuff as I found mobile vehicle bay and seamoth parts long before I had the lasercutter.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Devian666 posted:

Right at the start it's all about loving around and looking at cool stuff. Figuring out how to get food and water is kind of critical, then looking at making cool gear gives the most benefit. Also explore so far that you accidentally drown or get eaten for maximum fun.

says you, the dead zone was loving terrifying the first time I stumbled into it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

I think you have to scan it before you can search for it in the scanner room

You don't have to scan things to search for it with a scanner room, as I never bother scanning rock deposits so the little 'hey you can scan this' pop up will appear while I'm swimming around stuff like the grassy plateau.

That said, the impression you need to may be coming from the fact you have to physically find the materials you want your scan room to find before your scan room can find them. Due to the terrain loading antics.

"Hmm, apparently there is NO MORE scrap metal to be found with my scan room built in the safe shallows?" *Drives a lap with Seamoth watching hunks of metal pop into existence and fall to the ground... or simply remain stationary* "Give it a minute... there we are. Scan room circles."

On the other hand, it seems to like to consider empty spots that used to have drill nodes fair game until you reload a save. "Okay I'm done scrounging for quartz, did I miss any copper?... Oh cool, five more.... Oh, it's all empty spots I already drilled"

The failings of the scan room stand out that much more to me admittedly, because aside from the long history of silver shortages, basically everything else was so plentiful by hand I'd be swimming in enough basic materials to build this before I even made a Cyclops. Scan rooms were purely decorative for me.

The scan room did used to be much worse from a buggy standpoint. But it's still held back by the wonky nature of the game. And the only reason you ever feel like you need it in the first place, is because they nerfed loose materials as many times as it took to make it look appealing.

There are so many legitimate problems with the game. But dragging out materials sourcing so that even roaming around with scan rooms, power drills, and a cyclops stuffed full of lockers is slow compared to the past just feels like a needlessly petty in a game with gently caress all to build but your barbie dream house.

When it's faster to beat the game twice, than get as much quartz as I used to even as I stop to drill every quartz node I see :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 8, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, you can build rooms higher than 2 now? When did they add that?

I built a scan room and promptly lost my drones and never bothered to try again.

Speaking of bases, I think I'll build more than one this time. First time around I just made a base around the kelp forest.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, you can build rooms higher than 2 now? When did they add that?

I built a scan room and promptly lost my drones and never bothered to try again.

Speaking of bases, I think I'll build more than one this time. First time around I just made a base around the kelp forest.

I've had the game since official release and I've been stacking multipurpose rooms the whole time. Makes for great alien containment and quick access to useful spaces.

First playthrough I had a functional base in the shallows and one deep one which was simply 3 stacked multipurpose rooms for the purpose of being a food/water/charging forward base with a single thermal generator. A single thermal generator was more than enough with it being in 70C water.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Protip: If you disassemble the scan room and make it again you will get new drones for free!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I never bothered with the camera drones. I made the hud chip and just used that.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I played through the first time never building a scan room. It's not critical unless you are focusing on large volumes of material.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tracking Leviathans can be a fun hobby.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inescapable Duck posted:

Tracking Leviathans can be a fun hobby.

Or a great way to regret your base's location

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I probably would have used the scanner room more if I wasn't a wiki-scouring cheater. Maybe if I replay it I'll abide by a strict no map, no wiki policy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Away all Goats posted:

Or a great way to regret your base's location

Can be fun to watch if you build a window, I set up a base next to the Aurora and can watch the nearby Reaper swim in and out of view to waste time.

Wow, bugs, I just saw a (different) Reaper burrow into the Dunes.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 8, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Holy poo poo they finally patched live.

44 days after launch. Complete with animated gif proudly proclaiming "20+ launch bugs squashed"

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435169353/announcements/detail/1673523270487998792

quote:

Today we released an update that includes a bunch of that tidying up. Here's the list of changes:

Main menu button texts update correctly when switching languages
In-game menu button text colors fixed
F8 panel fully translated
Cyclops flooding leak indicators now clearly outside of the hull
Controller navigation and selection boxes fixed
Builder menu usable with swapped mouse buttons
Lifepod fabricator lighting fixed
Cyclops hatch door collider fixed
Disallow poster placement where wall lockers are disallowed
Non-localized text removed from color customization terminal
Physics bugs with ion cubes and precursor keys fixed
End-game achievements now trigger
Lost river creatures now immune to brine
Player mask now correctly lit
Can not despawn Aurora by building a base next to it anymore
Seamoth hatch animation fixed
Changing quality settings in game reminds player to restart the game
Time capsule UI simplyfied
Pathfinder tool recipe adjusted
Entering exosuit while sprinting fixed

Meanwhile, I've already seen someone saying that they can't launch their rocket anymore after the patch. Flipped all the switches but they can't use the chair. So looks like the "gently caress it, build another rocket son" from Experimental came along for the ride to live.

They will fix the bugs people actually cared about beyond cheevoes any day now! Probably. You can trust them, they have a gif saying how hard they are working!

The new Pathfinder tool Recipe seems to be... Copper Wire, titanium, and creepvine bulbs. Because I guess a useful item for 5 creepvine and some titanium was just too gosh darned OP and a top priority to change for the very first launch patch.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 8, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Section Z posted:

So looks like the "gently caress it, build another rocket son" from Experimental came along for the ride to live.

Haha what?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sininu posted:

Haha what?

Could be worse. When there was the "cyclops thermal reactor takes 300 minutes at the FASTEST" bug, they said they patched it then ported the bug to live anyways.

We had a proper power readout in the cyclops back then, which was handy for identifying bugs like that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Thus far I’ve only used the pink flat fish to make water, is there a better way I’m not aware of yet?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

Thus far I’ve only used the pink flat fish to make water, is there a better way I’m not aware of yet?
The earliest one is to use a knife to stab the bone looking big coral tubes, to get that specific kind of coral. That +Salt = Two bottles worth 30 water.

Once you have a base hooked up to more power than you think you will need for anything, a water filtration machine will use roughly 2,400 power in the span of 15 minutes, to create two water bottles.

Melons (stab them for the seeds) are also worth a chunk of water along with their food value. Bulbo plant samples you can eat for a small bit of water.

There is a stillsuit that comes way too late in the game unless you get lucky or google it up, which will give you 20 value water bags at a rate still slow enough you will die of dehydration without more sources of water. But it's still better than no free water on the go at all, except when you would rather be using the reinforced suit to not cook yourself alive when welding the holes in your cyclops or prawn suit.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 8, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I never bothered with the camera drones. I made the hud chip and just used that.

They make good chew toys.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

The earliest one is to use a knife to stab the bone looking big coral tubes, to get that specific kind of coral. That +Salt = Two bottles worth 30 water.

Once you have a base hooked up to more power than you think you will need for anything, a water filtration machine will use roughly 2,400 power in the span of 15 minutes, to create two water bottles.

Melons (stab them for the seeds) are also worth a chunk of water along with their food value. Bulbo plant samples you can eat for a small bit of water.

There is a stillsuit that comes way too late in the game unless you get lucky or google it up, which will give you 20 value water bags at a rate still slow enough you will die of dehydration without more sources of water. But it's still better than no free water on the go at all, except when you would rather be using the reinforced suit to not cook yourself alive when welding the holes in your cyclops or prawn suit.

If you have the heated knife you can get all of your moisture by eating fish on the fly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that only gets you 3/4 water per fish though. Gonna need a bunch of dead fish to fully drink up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can you collect the fish that you slam into with the Seamoth or do they just splatter into oblivion?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Can you collect the fish that you slam into with the Seamoth or do they just splatter into oblivion?

There should be an upgrade module that collects these fish guts and puts them into the vehicle inventory.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Devian666 posted:

I played through the first time never building a scan room. It's not critical unless you are focusing on large volumes of material.

Stalker teeth are annoying to find and it helps with that, and those stupid loving teeth also have an annoying habit of falling through the world. They're not "critical" but they are definitely a QoL item

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Section Z posted:

Holy poo poo they finally patched live.

44 days after launch. Complete with animated gif proudly proclaiming "20+ launch bugs squashed"

No mention of being unable to access PRAWN inventory or modification panel while docked in the Moon Pool, one of the most glaringly obvious bugs which every player runs into dozens of times per playthrough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finally finished the game. I'm a bit annoyed that you can't launch the ship before turning off the weapon. I really wanted to see if it would blow me up as I flew away. I guess now I'l just wait for that DLC to come out and maybe set up a base somewhere nice.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Wilter filtration also makes salt so having a stockpile of tube coral you could get 2 x 20 water + 4 x 30 water. Which should be enough to allow for considerable exploration time.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Devian666 posted:

Wilter filtration also makes salt so having a stockpile of tube coral you could get 2 x 20 water + 4 x 30 water. Which should be enough to allow for considerable exploration time.

The filtration machine actually makes large water bottles now, which are 50 units each, so yeah, if you can power it your completely set for water.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A single indoor growbed of marblemelons kept me fed and watered through the entire game. Put one in your Cyclops for food on the go.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jawnycat posted:

The filtration machine actually makes large water bottles now, which are 50 units each, so yeah, if you can power it your completely set for water.

That's a big improvement. It didn't make much sense to produce so little for the power and time used.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have two of the small planters. Start out by knifing two marble melons to replant and then eat the other six. Maxes out food and water until they grow back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I prefer lantern fruit and filtered water because its annoying having to switch to the knife to drink everytime.

Plus my bases usually have tons of power and its not like that power is gonna be used by anything else so

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jawnycat posted:

Bilbo Trees are much cheaper and easier to make. They keep you well hydrated, but you need to eat potatoes too for nutrition.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Patch notes posted:

Lost river creatures now immune to brine

Well there goes my fun of grappling the crabs and dropping them in the brine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have a couple lantern trees around, but mostly just for decoration. If you have a water filter, you might as well eat potatoes anyway, lantern fruit kinda sucks in my experience.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Danaru posted:

I have a couple lantern trees around, but mostly just for decoration. If you have a water filter, you might as well eat potatoes anyway, lantern fruit kinda sucks in my experience.

Lantern fruit gives +10 hunger and +3 water, potato gives +12 hunger and +3 water. There's little difference between the two, but the lantern fruit is more convenient since you don't need to replant it and you can always know how much is there at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neebs Gamings Subnautica series returned a few weeks ago.

First video back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbr7I1y1aF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJJWYsPWUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGLifudYNg

Obv spoilers as they're pretty far in the game, but the first run ended when they got to the end of the pre release content.