Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Dong Quixote posted:

Light disrupter & biotrans
I vote for this ^^^

We need alien lasers to mount on our alien craft. :awesome: = :hellyeah:

How many of you dorks voting are even proper physicists, huh???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dong Quixote posted:

Fancy new craft won't matter if we're still arming them with lasers. We can't fit these to normal human vehicles so we need to research the home-built ones to go with them.

+1

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

Dong Quixote posted:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Well, I may not be physicist, but despite that, the idea of both big guns and big ships is making me wet my pants. Each one alone is not. Two big ships is not.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Give me a bf snout cannon.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Research the bio-transport and the device that limits detection. The aliens can't hit what they can't see. Unless they can smell us or something. I don't know how aliens work.

Sell 70 pube guns and go hog wild building up a fleet. Maybe one day we can shoot down a UFO again.

Also, I highly recommend using pube guns to make doors wherever we need doors on a mission. Except in the fragile glass greenhouse towers. Those things collapse if you fart too loud.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alternately we may be able to simply shoot down the entire glass map and win on turn one (and cement nutrivend's eternal hatred (or force them to once again beg for a truce))

Doing damage to "fancy" maps seems to be much more negative than blowing up half a lovely map, but who knows how it actually works?

Selling pube guns is going to be an insane source of income, but I don't know how it would effect weapon accessibility for our enemies. There have been times we sold poo poo that was used against us, but there was also the case where Psyke had grenades we still don't have. It'd at least make hostile encounters more interesting.

At this time our only enemies are the cult and farmers, so it's probably not gonna be a big deal unless things radically change.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

The Protagonist posted:

Give me a bf snout cannon.
I'll have what he's having, too, please. Also I hope one day for flying armor and to equip a few alien grenades (once researched).

Being a droid, and with all that ordinance I could finally live out my fantasy of being one of Skynet's flying-death machines. Except in a twisted way I'm helping the meatbags instead of slaughtering them.

Whoops, I meant, helping my fine human and sectoid-hybrid colleagues, not meatbags (sorry, need to get current on my patches).

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
The disruptor beam, the aliens are going to be sending UFO's soon, we need to be able to fight them effectively.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Fyi alien grenades have showed up on screen due to mind control and are fuckin huge, the same size of a med kit or brainsucker pod. So a dude completely strapped with alien grenades would weigh six tons yet have more explosives than a guy fully loaded up with maximum heavy missiles probably

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Fyi alien grenades have showed up on screen due to mind control and are fuckin huge, the same size of a med kit or brainsucker pod. So a dude completely strapped with alien grenades would weigh six tons yet have more explosives than a guy fully loaded up with maximum heavy missiles probably
Ah, didn't realize. Regular grenades are fine, then: whatever helps to deliver the most effective area damage to the enemy works for my programming.

Of course, if I can carry 6 tons then the more the better.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ur in too deep son, you're getting max alien greneades if you want them or not
be prepared to go into battle with two grenades in your hands, two in your pants, and 4 more in your backpack and that's it
armor just slows u down

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

ur in too deep son, you're getting max alien greneades if you want them or not
be prepared to go into battle with two grenades in your hands, two in your pants, and 4 more in your backpack and that's it
armor just slows u down
By your command, sir!

I hope this is the reaction from the Yellow aliens once I'm properly equipped:

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
Now that we have devastator cannons, remember that they are blocked by shields, where toxins go right through shields. They are excellent for killing juicy, non-shielded humans, but not so much against blues and yellows. Also consider that if you kill a shielded alien with a toxigun, you get to keep the shield intact to equip on agents.

As far as research: poo poo pile and light disruptor.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
God drat it I've been agitating for better vehicle weapons since even before I died. About time you guys jumped on the bandwagon. Research the damned light disruptor.

* haunts peevishly *

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SnotGrumble posted:

Now that we have devastator cannons, remember that they are blocked by shields, where toxins go right through shields. They are excellent for killing juicy, non-shielded humans, but not so much against blues and yellows. Also consider that if you kill a shielded alien with a toxigun, you get to keep the shield intact to equip on agents.

As far as research: poo poo pile and light disruptor.
That's true. But it's useful to have a few agents with the devastator cannons to remove enemy cover and wear down shielded humans. From what I understand these devastator cannons don't require any ammo, so that's less engineers dedicated to manufacturing Toxin B.

IIRC correctly we currently have a large inventory of shields collected so far. But to your point deploying Toxin B has more advantages.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HBar posted:

Sell 70 pube guns and go hog wild building up a fleet. Maybe one day we can shoot down a UFO again.

Instead of going balls to the wall and doing this, I sell nearly everything we've recovered before pube guns came out. So most of the regular disruptor guns, most of the machine guns, most of the pistols, etc.

I make sure to hang on to a handful of each kind just in case.

This nets us slightly $75,539. Pube guns are currently untouched. Not that much cash really. That's enough for one interceptor.

If we sell the pube guns and entropy launchers as well, that would net us $418,300 and that's a little bit more to work with. Not knowing what we'd be up against and not wanting to blow such a load on lovely standard craft I opt to save it instead. Creating some insane fleet of doom ships or a ton of labs or whatever would be pricy and once we blow this cash reserve it's going to be gone.

After some careful consideration I decide to just buy the one interceptor and keep the change. I don't think it'd be a great idea to buy 4500000 hoverbikes or whatever. I may regret this.

Literally 20 minutes after I make the purchase, the UFOs show:
https://i.imgur.com/C8fX3Ay.gifv

gently caress. Looks like we're yet again outclassed, and even worse, they didn't send the pancake ones there's the bright green ones instead. All the UFOs can give different tech and have different crews, so we may be missing out on something.

These new greens don't appear to have shields for some reason, but they're so fast that we can't catch them unless we pop out right next to where they are. They also have pretty powerful missiles.

We lost no vehicles, but did take some damage. I was able to break off the interceptors because I had them ordered to be as evasive as possible. We need more raw damage output I think, so either we blow cash on a fleet of swarmers or we need to get hard into weapons tech.

I get all the ships ordered to come back to the repair bay, and prep investigation teams. Looks like there were only two drops, a sewer and an apartment.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Right so I guess we'll just do these

First up is ptolmey apartments
S1: Fart Puzzle, haven't heard a peep, Cobra Lionfist, SavageGentleman
S2: Powerful Two-Hander, Sick Ness Monster, Alan Smithee, Cantorsdust Jr.
S3: Gridlocked, reality_groove, guns for tits, PenguinSalsa

Round of applause for gridlocked, who has been in medbay for like weeks.
Alan spots a herd of brainsuckers, Two Hander blows them up with one shot. Nothing on sensors yet, but it is a big map.

There's a poo poo fuckton of yellows down there as well as a worm. Alan beans one in the brainstem with DEVISTATOR CANNON FIRE but it doesn't kill. We throw a smoke grenade on them.

A cloaked guy comes out and SickNess stabs it with the sword, unfortunately it also has a shield.
Savage is able to kill it with toxin. Good thing we moved to flank.

The worm sneaks through the smoke and fucks up our shields a little, but it also takes heavy damage. I had the third squad keep running up to try to pin these guys in, but they must have had a similar idea and we meet them halfway. Groove takes out an alen who had the jizz baster, and a nother yellow. Penguin takes out a blue but there's still another one and it has a cloak. Guns for tits is far too slow and nowhere near combat.

Meanwhile Sick tears open a worm with his sword and stabs some snakes. Two hander is able to also kill some but one escapes. Alan executes. We got a lot of shield damage so S2 moves to cover.

Penguin kills a blue and a yellow, but we're already running out of toxin ammo, despite doing our best to aim. Gridlocked deploys stun gas. We're able to pin the worm down in a hallway, but some of the blues got around the other side.

We stun the second worm and Gridlocked takes care of the blue and its cargo of brainsuckers. His perfect machine brain cannot be affected so that's a plus. Penguin backtracks with the scanner and finds what's hopefully the last blue, it's got a cloak, but that doesn't help.

Uh oh. Gridlocked finds what may well be the last aliens: two poppers and two spitters:

I have him drop a grenade and run. There's a delayed reaction i didn't catch on screen and everything in the room is obliterated.

Alright lets get this poo poo back home and run the next mission.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No new aliens. Destroy what we brought back. Got some equipment but nothing new.

turd factory
S1: Fart Puzzle, haven't heard a peep, Cobra Lionfist, SavageGentleman
S2: Powerful Two-Hander, Sick Ness Monster, Single and LOVING IT, Gridlocked
S3: SnotGrumble, guns for tits, Alan Smithee, Cantorsdust Jr.

Man I really hope Tits can get a grip. Saw no action last mission. Too slow. We might have to consider some insane trade offs.

A brainsucker comes out to suck Tits, but gets blown up by Snot. Alan peeks through and spies a blue, but there's no way we can get easy access to it in this fuckin tube city.

Savage applies mindwaves to some yellows. They return fire and cave in the catwalk Fart & Cobra were running along, they only fall one storey so it's fine. Savage is able to take one out. The room with blues is swarming with fuckers, so we deploy gas. Gridlocked sees a popper but narrowly misses and bores a hole through what's probably some pretty expensive machinery. They retreat back in.

Alan takes out a blue and scoops the brainsucker pods before anyone can get hosed up. He also drills the worm that's in there. Tits finishes it off with toxin. Snot kills the snakes with explosives.
Gridlocked takes out a popper. He also spots the second one but there's no one who is In position to kill it. It stupidly walks directly towards him and gets vaporized. Clean up is easy from here out.

seems like some of the aliens escaped. We'll keep an eye on infiltration.
Nothing new loot wise.

Unfortunately there's an alert at the sanctuary clinic apartments almost right away. I dunno if I feel like doing this one today. These are the appartments directly next door to our last apartment mission.

Infiltration looks like this:

pre:
 The Cult: 7% (-1)
Synthmesh: 3% (0)
Nutrivend: 3% (+3)
Biotransport is now at 50%. Light Disruptor is at 3%.

I'll do the mission sometime later. In the meantime if you want we can readjust our priorities.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Definitely research new ships instead of swarming, that's just a waste of money and will end up with half the city being levelled courtesy of those trigger happy fucks in the interceptor division.

I am pleased to see that explosives remain effective, I hope there's an alien grenade launcher or something...

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Yeah don't blow our cash on a swarm. We're useless in the air for now, which is fine because we are pretty dominant on the ground. Once we get some new ship tech we can bring the fight back to the air (and maybe through the portals).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Due to some oversights I have to airlift some of our guys to the next mission.

This is gonna be Bot-heavy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vnZnuqgh7U
S1: Fart Puzzle, haven't heard a peep, SavageGentleman, Markoff Chaney
S2: Cobra Lionfist, Powerful Two-Hander, Sick Ness Monster, Cantorsdust Jr.
S3: Single and LOVING IT, Gridlocked, guns for tits, Alan Smithee

Interesting. This is an outside map, similar to that time one of our guys accidentally gassed himself.

There's some yellows but they actually just retreat. Tits believe it or not catches up with them, but is too weak willed to mindbend them, and too lovely of aim to hit them with guns.

We move up and there's a cloaked guy. Fart takes out one of the yellows and the cloaked blue. There's a lot of heavy disruptor bolts getting blasted all over the place, Savage takes some shield damage but is able to knock out a yellow with his brain powers.

We waste a lot of turns trying to track down where the last aliens are. There were a trio of brainsuckers in another buiding that were easily killed by a DEVISTATING HAIL of energy beam reaction shots. Kinda overkill but it wins the mission.

Right, what else.
Diplomacy:
Allies: Govermnet, Cops, Diablo, Osiron
Friendly: SELF
Neutral: Most orgs
Unfriendly: Transtellar, Evonet, Nanotech
Hostile: The Cult, Nutrivend

Evonet must have been pissed off about the extensive catwalks the aliens tore down. We'll see what happens.

Nutrivend is now the most infiltrated, but i'm not worried about it, still pretty low.

pre:
Nutrivend: 6% (+3)
 The Cult: 5% (-2)
Synthmesh: 3% (0)

Hol-ee gently caress. So we can build basically the flying version of Ecto-1, except it takes no fuel and can hold an insane shitload of equipment. nice. What's next?

Pick some choices for physics research:
  1. Alien Artifact: An intelligent alien proximity mine
  2. Alien Artifact (1%): A powerful alien grenade
  3. Alien Artifact: An alien device which limits detection
  4. Light Disruptor Beam (19%): A beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  5. UFO Type 4: Alien interdimensional craft (shitpile)
  6. UFO Type 6: Alien interdimensional craft (shwarma)
+If you got opinions on what to build or do speak up

same as before, vote for as many as you want, I add them up, top slot gets big lab, second place gets small lab. Don't gotta be in physics to vote.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Research votes: 3, then 2. Being the predator with super-grenades continues to sound like a fun time.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's research the disruptor beam and the shitpile.

Also, woohoo physics pulls into the lead! Suck it, engineers and life scientists!

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

Research: 4 - light disruptor and 5 - shitpile

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
3 and then 4, 5 or 6.

Gotta get some airpower again.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

SnotGrumble posted:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SnotGrumble posted:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Light disruptor and shitpile, sure. I don't care about which UFO gets researched as long as we keep up the progress on the light disruptor beam.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Research 4 (light disruptor beam) and 3 (agent cloaking). Build a biotrans immediately once an advanced workshop is complete.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright, the Light Disruptor is at 23%, UFO4 is at 8%.

The night passes uneventfully. Seems like infiltration is just stabilizing at current levels, but the reson i'm pausing is the bases. Been a little bit since the most recent base update I think, so here we go:

Base three finishes a security station and general store. We still got a week left on the bigger labs and a day before agents can move in.

What do we want to do with this guy? Maximum NERD? Agents + training facilities? Craft base?

We got 3 damaged interceptors last time aliens came out. There's been noticeable progress on the repairs and I project that they'll be fixed before more UFOs show, but it'll take time. We could easily fit in another garage on the left and still be pretty secure, but it's not critical to decide that now.

If we move one of the training facilities from the first base to here, we can split up the organics into one and three, and then evenly spread out all the bots between all bases.

Here's base two, good split between nerds and agents that leans nerd:

We could seal off the lift completely, or we could build another big building of some kind. Nothing pressing. Has room for expansion, couple small labs or small workshops.

Here's the first base, split between nerds and agent and leans agent + garage:

Pretty well set up. We could move this combat training facility to a different part of the base here, or to a different base and have room for one more big lab if we wanted. We could also move or remove a living quarters or small physics lab to add in more security.

Security is probably not going to be a big deal unless we royally piss someone off or cause the aliens to go berserk. Aliens will directly drop into your base if you get the pissed enough, but I doubt we have any base missions coming up any time soon.

We also have some time to decide if we really need another garage or not, but we should start working towards a more complete idea how the gulch is going to work. It takes time to build poo poo and sooner started sooner done, you know?

If we want this to be big on agents we should get a medbay and/or some training in here. That, plus the living quarters will knock out a potential giant lab, but tbf agents can be crammed into a smaller space compared to nerds.

Do we want biology labs? Alien containment? Unless we can knock down more UFOs, or the aliens mix up tactics, or we breach into the alien dimension, I don't see us getting any more biological samples. We may not need additional labs at all, by the time our second big physics lab is done we may not have new research needed. But a week is a long time, it could go either way. Workshops will at least give continual money.

Give any input on the bases if you got any opinions. I'd prefer to start the next round of construction before progressing time more than this. Not really a time limit but whatever the posts say when I feel like playing more is what we'll do.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Eventually we should aim for 5 advanced workshops, maybe one more at each base so none of them have too many noncombatants. But that can wait a few days since it'll take a while to find 20 good engineers for the workshops already under construction.

e: Or we could do 4 advanced workshops and keep the two small ones, that way we don't have to rearrange Enfield.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

HBar posted:

Eventually we should aim for 5 advanced workshops, maybe one more at each base so none of them have too many noncombatants. But that can wait a few days since it'll take a while to find 20 good engineers for the workshops already under construction.

e: Or we could do 4 advanced workshops and keep the two small ones, that way we don't have to rearrange Enfield.

This. Advanced workshops. You can worry about staffing them later, but start building them now.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Advanced workshops but wait until we're close to filling our current ones so we can actually staff it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I'm for whatever facilities will help us get stronger in the air-war. We dominate on the ground so far, as noted.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

nnnotime posted:

I'm for whatever facilities will help us get stronger in the air-war. We dominate on the ground so far, as noted.

Vote workshops and our Probes will blot out the sun!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Dong Quixote posted:

Vote workshops and our Probes will blot out the sun!
Convinced: I vote Advanced Workshops, then.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Seconding the workshops

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
whoops didn't update as quick as I wanted

There's only four engineers for hire right now, and we need 20 to staff the workshops that will be coming online. For now we will leave the bases as is.

Engineers have completed yet more toxin, but it's Sisyphean.
Nutrivend is getting increasingly infested but I decide to let it slide a little longer. Engineering gets more orders for the same stuff and continues transmuting money to guns.

The Cops and Psyke have some interesting interactions:

Kind of a dick move by the pigs imo.

The cars are starting to get fully repaired. Only took most of a day to do three.

pre:
Nutrivend: 10% (+4)
Synthmesh:  4% (+1)
  Solmine:  0% (0)
Well the cult fell off, but we may have to do something about nutrivend soon. Been avoiding it because it'd be a big pain in the as, but if you want we can intervene

Interesting, but seemingly there are no breakthrus from researching this.
    Pick some choices for physics research:
  1. Alien Artifact: An intelligent alien proximity mine
  2. Alien Artifact (1%): A powerful alien grenade
  3. Alien Artifact: An alien device which limits detection
  4. Light Disruptor Beam (75%): A beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  5. UFO Type 6: Alien interdimensional craft (shwarma)
+If you got opinions on what to build or do speak up

same as before, vote for as many as you want, I add them up, top slot gets big lab, second place gets small lab. Don't gotta be in physics to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Light disruptor beam then shawarma, they will fear our kebab based weaponry.

• Locked thread