Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RELEASE DATE WHEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm used to fan patches taking years and years before dying so anything is better here.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just an FYI one of the Vita hackers has an exploit for current firmware but isn't planning on releasing it until next year. Just in case there are anymore firmware updates.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Finished fata morgana
The whole ending sequence was emotional but nothing in a game has hosed me up as much as the stick drawing on Georges

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Higurashi Ch. 6 has "entered testing", whatever that means for MG's timetables, so with Umineko now finished I expect they'll start pumping those out.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just cleaning up Muv-Luv Unlimited. I'm expecting Alternative to be just a gigantic grim fest of people getting mauled.

I did finish Umineko (via Prof's LP) and that was the most amazing VN I think I've ever read.

I've got enough stuff to hold me until maybe MG releases Higurashi 6-8 so I can finish that in 1 "run" too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Do you think that VNs will move to the switch over ps4? Please no.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

An LP seems like a really inferior way to experience Umineko. So much of that story is about Rokkenjimma being a hermetically sealed little world that reading it through an SA webpage just ruins the basic aesthetic that Ryu07 was going for IMHO, to say nothing about the questionable ethics of textdumping an entire VN that only just recently got an official English release.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Alder posted:

They would be perfect on it.

It probably won't happen yet, though. I believe the PS4 install base is still larger?

edit:

Raxivace posted:

An LP seems like a really inferior way to experience Umineko. So much of that story is about Rokkenjimma being a hermetically sealed little world that reading it through an SA webpage just ruins the basic aesthetic that Ryu07 was going for IMHO

Clearly Umineko should only be played in VR.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 5, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

NRVNQSR posted:

Clearly Umineko should only be played in VR.

Finally, the proper way to experience the first twilight of the Turn of the Golden Witch is available.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Raxivace posted:

An LP seems like a really inferior way to experience Umineko. So much of that story is about Rokkenjimma being a hermetically sealed little world that reading it through an SA webpage just ruins the basic aesthetic that Ryu07 was going for IMHO, to say nothing about the questionable ethics of textdumping an entire VN that only just recently got an official English release.

I don't really think this thread is the place to discuss the ethics of LPs in general considering there's relatively no wait period anymore and one can argue about playing vs watching video until the heat death of the universe.

Reading it in a game file or a website is honestly no different to me. My current setup is basically reading with the volume off because I do it during lunch at work and the sound gets choppy occasionally from my remote client. I know I'm missing music\voice acting but I'm still enjoying what I'm reading and seeing. :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In general, I'm with you, and if you wound up enjoying it then that's fine that's what's most important.

But Umineko also has really, really good music.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

I don't really think this thread is the place to discuss the ethics of LPs in general considering there's relatively no wait period anymore and one can argue about playing vs watching video until the heat death of the universe.
i was going to LP fault, but they specifically ask you not to on their website, so i didn't. that's my story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alder posted:

Reading novels on my TV is god awful so hopefully

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

i was going to LP fault, but they specifically ask you not to on their website, so i didn't.

Honestly that almost seems shortsighted of them at this point. Milestone One has been in so many pay-what-you-want bundles I think I'm up to three copies of it now, so it's hard to believe the potential revenue they'd lose from an LP of it would compare to the potential revenue they'd gain from people who get in through the LP and buy side:below at launch.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Reading novels on my TV is god awful so hopefully

HD anime bfs is worth it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Switch is HD though :confused:

Anyway it's most likely they'll just go to being Switch/PS4 instead of Vita/PS4

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 6, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alder posted:

VNs have been everywhere up to and including the Xbox, so probably some, yes.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Heavens Feel is goddamn amazing. :smith:
My favorite route in FSN. Deff gonna buy it, if it ever gets officially localized.
That's 3 VN's finished since last year. All 3 have been amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Given what you've seemed to like thus far, Higurashi (especially once Ch. 6 hits) and Fate/hollow ataraxia (with the patch to essentially turn it into the Vita All-Ages version with voices of course) would be the next obvious recs I'd give.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Given what you've seemed to like thus far, Higurashi (especially once Ch. 6 hits) and Fate/hollow ataraxia (with the patch to essentially turn it into the Vita All-Ages version with voices of course) would be the next obvious recs I'd give.

Nice. I got HA with the vita patch running.
Thank you! Will wait a bit on Higurashi.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
After I finish Muv Luv Alternative, I think I need a break from super epic stuff :smith: It's just daunting. Since I started reading VNs again, I've knocked out F\SN, Muv Luv, Umineko Chiru, Fata Morgana, We know the Devil, Analogue, Don't take it personally babe, Planetarian, DDLC, Higurashi ch 1.

Yeah. I think it's time to read some smaller stuff before I start on Root Double, Fate\Ataraxia, Never 7, World End Economica, Fault..

I've got my work cut out for me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Never 7 is pretty fluffy and cute, especially in comparison to the other games in the Infinity series. You could go ahead and play it.

e: Oh it's a pain in the rear end to get it running right on a modern pc, though. I played it like five years ago on Win 7 and had a hell of a time but it might work better with 8 or 10?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 6, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irritated Goat posted:

After I finish Muv Luv Alternative, I think I need a break from super epic stuff :smith: It's just daunting. Since I started reading VNs again, I've knocked out F\SN, Muv Luv, Umineko Chiru, Fata Morgana, We know the Devil, Analogue, Don't take it personally babe, Planetarian, DDLC, Higurashi ch 1.

Yeah. I think it's time to read some smaller stuff before I start on Root Double, Fate\Ataraxia, Never 7, World End Economica, Fault..

I've got my work cut out for me.
hollow ataraxia might actually work fairly well, since though there's a serious plot to work through at times the vast majority of it is fun slice-of-life content.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Never7 is a pretty chill game, especially compared to the later Uchikoshi stuff. The most traumatic thing to happen to a character is that they don't get a pizza that they ordered.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Yeah Never7 is a pretty chill game, especially compared to the later Uchikoshi stuff. The most traumatic thing to happen to a character is that they don't get a pizza that they ordered.

I dunno, I agree that bungled pizza orders are pretty devastating but I do think that characters dying is at least a close second place.

I'm just saying, the game's sweet and light but it's not all sweetness and light.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

You mean the same character that can commit suicide later?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

You mean the same character that can commit suicide later?
It's been a long time since I've played Never7 now but I totally don't remember straight up suicide happening in the game.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Raxivace posted:

It's been a long time since I've played Never7 now but I totally don't remember straight up suicide happening in the game.

As I recall technically (Never7 spoilers)she dies accidentally during a suicide threat that she might not have followed through on, but that's splitting hairs pretty fine.

Of course you might not have done that route since she's not most people's favorite character, but there are somewhat dark elements in all of the stories.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Soooo... Muv Luv Alternative...

Awww, what a sweet sincere moments with Marim...OH MY GOD NO :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Chomp does it again.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Sounds like Root Double is out for the Vita

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I don't think SA has an emote that properly conveys my D: for that scene.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Artificer posted:

I don't think SA has an emote that properly conveys my D: for that scene.

:munch:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Irritated Goat posted:

Compared to what you've been reading I'd say both World End Economica and Fault are much lighter fare than the rest of your list. Also, the individual chapters are relatively short and self-contained for both VNs, so there's no real pressure to burn through the entire thing at once.

e: as far as my VN backlog goes I'm still only an hour into the umineko answer arcs because I was waiting for the voice patch to be stable and then trails of cold steel 2 released :negative:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 9, 2018

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
More MLA...

Can we stop hitting Takeru with the plot baseball bat now? :stare: First Marimo meets Chomp. Other Marimo gets introduced to a meat grinder. Other Sumika finds out how heavy basketball hoops are and now Takeru's technically assisted in murdering ANOTHER Sumika. Jesus christ. This VN doesn't stop :cry:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irritated Goat posted:

Soooo... Muv Luv Alternative...

Awww, what a sweet sincere moments with Marim...OH MY GOD NO :cry: :cry: :cry:

Irritated Goat posted:

More MLA...

Can we stop hitting Takeru with the plot baseball bat now? :stare: First Marimo meets Chomp. Other Marimo gets introduced to a meat grinder. Other Sumika finds out how heavy basketball hoops are and now Takeru's technically assisted in murdering ANOTHER Sumika. Jesus christ. This VN doesn't stop :cry:
This is largely why, for its myriad of faults (that I have with it at least), the format of Muv-Luv is such that really works best if you suffer through the entire thing, Extra/Unlimited/Alternative, and not just skip straight to Alternative. There is such an impact with these scenes in the context of that whole experience that is very impressive to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I really don't understand the "skip to Alternative" mindset either. Like the story doesn't seem like it would even be sensible.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

This is largely why, for its myriad of faults (that I have with it at least), the format of Muv-Luv is such that really works best if you suffer through the entire thing, Extra/Unlimited/Alternative, and not just skip straight to Alternative. There is such an impact with these scenes in the context of that whole experience that is very impressive to me.

Yeah, I'm basically doing the whole thing in 1 run and the stuff I've been tweeting about is just super emotional. I honestly feel like knowing nothing but the generics of the whole Extra->Unlimited plot made all of this more effective than if I'd known more. Unless it goes bad really soon, I think I'll be giving this a solid 9/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Ha ha ha :v:

I hope you're playing the All Ages version, in which case you'll be fine

Since we mentioned otome games earlier, are there any decent f/f content games that aren't either 1. barely 18 love interests who are still in high school 2. Sakura-tier cheesecake with jiggle sliders? My gay little heart just wants to see adult women have fulfilling relationships with each other WITHOUT it being fanservice trash :smith:

It'd honestly be really cool to see a gay game where the love subplots take a back seat to the epic story like Fate/Stay Night, but that seems to be too much to ask, so I'm fine with romance stuff.

I've already played We Know The Devil, unfortunately I didn't really care for it. Cool aesthetic but I have gripes with the ending.