Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
i am going to defeat rothfuss irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
as i entangle him in the jungle-floor tendrils of my pubes and drag him toward my ever-hungering mouth to be assimilated into my pulsating mass, i will be singing, "i said to hank williams, how lonely does it get? hank williams hasn't answered yet, but i hear him coughing all night long, one hundred floors above me in the tower of song"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

true leftist posted:

as i entangle him in the jungle-floor tendrils of my pubes and drag him toward my ever-hungering mouth to be assimilated into my pulsating mass, i will be singing, "i said to hank williams, how lonely does it get? hank williams hasn't answered yet, but i hear him coughing all night long, one hundred floors above me in the tower of song"

It was an entanglement in three parts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

true leftist posted:

God bless you for your service

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I just watched Moana with my niece and it was pretty great. And I hate song filled new Disney movies. Lin-Manuel is pretty drat good when he's not ripping off Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqkmI3ZdJ8c

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Thank you for the cool anime

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Very good podcast about bad books "I Don't Even Own a Television" just released an episode about The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Seems they kinda like it.

edit: figure I'll add a link

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2018/03/03/101-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2018

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The string thing didn't bother me because of that extended bit in the beginning where he was wandering around in the woods had him practice playing with less strings for a year. Seemed like a reasonable enough set up then pay off to me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Playing with less strings while making your own music and playing an established song written for all strings are two totally different things. It's incredibly stupid, but I don't have as big of a problem with that as I did with loving Denna being the girl that sings along with him and she's fantastic and she cares more about him than the guy she's with and she totally knows that and Kvothe totally knows that, and that stupid guy could never truly understand her the way Kvothe does because they went on a wagon trip once together.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Good news, guys!

quote:

[R]ather than that be the final narrative of the series, it would appear that Kote’s story is part of a larger, presumably even more epic, story that’s just gaining steam.
This isn’t the first time that Rothfuss has mentioned having future books planned in the Kingkiller universe.
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patrick-rothfuss-kingkiller-chronicle-prologue-the-doors-of-stone-book-3/

Also :lol: if you think book 3 is ever coming out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Gotta keep the suckers hooked.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ghost writers ghosting writing for other ghost writers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah, now he has an out for why the third book won't wrap things up the way a series that was supposedly complete sans editing a decade ago should do.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
These years are going to be known for the fact that there are so many fantasy authors that refuse to complete their books.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Following in the great tradition of Tolkien and his inability to complete The Silmarillion.

Let's just hope Rothfuss doesn't have a kid who publishes his stuff posthumously.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

my bony fealty posted:

Following in the great tradition of Tolkien and his inability to complete The Silmarillion.

Let's just hope Rothfuss doesn't have a kid who publishes his stuff posthumously.

pages and pages and pages and pages of sniveling about the stupid loving student loans

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
He'll eventually put out a book 3 where Felurian comes to convince him to rejoin the powerful of the world, he opens the box and his power comes out and then he masturbates into a Denna shaped instrument and declares that the story isn't over so it's going to take more than 3 days to tell and he'll be back in a year and a day to tell the next installment which will cover 9 months of time.

Repeat until death at which point a different writer will be hired to close all the hanging plot threads and then commit suicide on seeing the notes he has to write from and after a few rounds of that it will become known as a cursed work and publishers will threaten authors with getting assigned to finish it if they get too far behind.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
the generation ship theory of in story universes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wouldn't mind hearing other stories from this world. Maybe they'll be interesting.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"The Spanish Inquisition finally shut down the magic academy 3 blocks away".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

At least the comments under this article are as disillusioned as we are, which is surprising since it's usually the fanboys that post at tor.com.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Hey, I know I've struggled to get the 3rd book in this series released, but don't worry, it won't be the last book I struggle to release!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What are you people whining about? We finally know just what Rothfuss has been working on for the past seven years: He's been writing four books, not one. That creative surge is nothing short of astonishing, and I am dismayed by the childish reactions here to this excellent news.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
LOL, Temerant. Sure, buddy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In book four, mature student Kvothe returns to the university to complete his thesis on the Chandrian but is forced into poorly-paid assistantships to cover his growing tuition fees. Kvothe's advisors prove to be no help as he continues to struggle to find enough extant literature to complete his review chapter. When his first submitted manuscript receives a scathing rejection from referee #2, Kvothe suspects the work of his lifelong nemesis Ambrose - but can he prove it time to publish a paper before his final year of funding runs out?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hell, I'd read that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

eXXon posted:

In book four, mature student Kvothe returns to the university to complete his thesis on the Chandrian but is forced into poorly-paid assistantships to cover his growing tuition fees. Kvothe's advisors prove to be no help as he continues to struggle to find enough extant literature to complete his review chapter. When his first submitted manuscript receives a scathing rejection from referee #2, Kvothe suspects the work of his lifelong nemesis Ambrose - but can he prove it time to publish a paper before his final year of funding runs out?

Academia.txt

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

In a plot ripped from the headlines, Kvothe becomes the youngest professor ever at the University, but his habit of foisting his "amazing fairy sex skills" on female students leads to his disgrace and destitution from hefty legal fees.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

May as well have a 16 year old master professor to fully embrace the anime of the series.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ccs posted:

In a plot ripped from the headlines, Kvothe becomes the youngest professor ever at the University, but his habit of foisting his "amazing fairy sex skills" on female students leads to his disgrace and destitution from hefty legal fees.

No way; he really respects women so this is not an issue. And if you don't understand that, you don't understand women, or Kvothe... or Rothfus

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Karnegal posted:

No way; he really respects women so this is not an issue. And if you don't understand that, you don't understand women, or Kvothe... or Rothfus

He respects each woman he meets as an individual with strengths and flaws! So when Kvothe tells you that that chick is a total ho-bag bitch who's just trying to get back at him for being too woke and respectful to succumb to her base feminine wiles, his extensive experience as a Male Feminist makes his word at least twice as truthful and important than the loose-brained rants of that hysterical, ignorant slut

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Feministically god-sexing female students to own the libs Ambrose.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What are you people whining about? We finally know just what Rothfuss has been working on for the past seven years: He's been writing four books, not one. That creative surge is nothing short of astonishing, and I am dismayed by the childish reactions here to this excellent news.

It'd be amusing to see a good writer, or even Rothfuss*, do this. Sanderson's "I was on a long flight and wrote a new Mistborn series" with Alloy of Law is about as close as I can think of for something like it.

"Sorry that book X took so long, oh btw here's books y and z and well. They'll go on sale 2 and 4 weeks from now so you don't kill yourselves binge reading all 3 one after another."

* books y and z would not come out immediately after book x. Or ever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

eXXon posted:

I'd read it. Mundane stuff in magical places done well could be fun.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Who wants to tell him?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Who wants to tell him?

I got this...

*clears throat

Ravenfood, what the thread and I are trying to tell you, and we all still love you just as much as we always have and this isn't your fault, but Rothfuss has a stupid ugly beard and probably smells like cured meat. Oh, he's also a bad writer.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Later books in the series follow Kvothe being distracted from writing his memoirs as he must do battle with the Chandarian by publishing passive-aggressive reviews of their books in the Arcanist Monthly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LostRook posted:

Later books in the series follow Kvothe being distracted from writing his memoirs as he must do battle with the Chandarian by publishing passive-aggressive reviews of their books in the Arcanist Monthly.

Kvothe jauntily signs a copy of Haliax's book with the inscription "Way to kill my family when Iax'd you not to!" as he poses for Sim to quiclky paint a picture of him and the kid just trying to buy the damned book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/87h2uf/patrick_rothfuss_released_the_name_of_the_wind_11/?st=JF9ZTB7L&sh=a8030292

I actually forgot what the average conception of Rothfuss books were lol. “An absolute masterpiece”.