Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

End Phase:
Savage Wolf Prime:

- Must pass a 3+ Consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 5, no critical hits sustained!
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 11, 2 critical hits sustained!
- - XXL Engine hit! +5 heat/turn!
- - XXL Engine hit! +10 heat/turn!
- Must pass a 6+ test to avoid automatic shutdown: rolled 4, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 12, succeeds!
I think there's a copy paste error here. Even if it is an error, that much likely isn't long for this mission, what with those engine hits. Its unit card doesn't seem to have updated with the Engine and Pilot hits though. That Savage Coyote going up like that looked it was painful as well, losing that ATM-12 spammer.

On the other hand, only the Osteon and two Septicemias left, what with that other Sept running away and the one with the Ground Mobile HPG going down like that (headshots everywhere!). However, the ones left look relatively undamaged, except the rest armor of the B-Z, who conveniently hasn't moved at all. Still dangerous, but you guys have enough firepower to swarm them down. Dunno how much damage you'll take doing so, but taking a couple mechs of losses doing so will be worth it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ouch. Roasted alive.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

I think there's a copy paste error here.

That was a 4+ test, not a 6+ test.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Can anyone think of a better move for me than just standing still and shooting an ERPPC and SRM and hoping I somehow survive to kick again?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The C-Z doesn't have Ferro-Lammelor armor so you'll do more damage if you hit it (Especially with SRMs).

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

paragon1 posted:

Can anyone think of a better move for me than just standing still and shooting an ERPPC and SRM and hoping I somehow survive to kick again?
You could walk to 0607 facing 0508 to give the Osteon your better armored right side.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also if you're going to shoot, you may as well alpha strike since otherwise they are absolutely hitting you with another full plasma barrage for another +16 heat. Otherwise back up out of kick range and only shoot SRMs if you don't want to ammo explosion yourself.

e: Not that I'm saying you shouldn't go out all :black101: style, but, yea. You're going to supernova real quick here.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The Rabid Coyote can shoot over those L1 powerlines right?

paragon1 posted:

- I think if you twist to present your right side you might live to keep the enemy fire busy another round, but it'd come at the price of not firing as you're very likely going to take another +15 heat on top of the +10 engine heat, and then you'd still be stuck at like 4 heat less than now.
If you attack now at 7s you're probably shutting down or suffering ammo explosions, so statistically you're probably best either going all out or just twisting and standing there. Considering that you're at point blank range and the possibility you're destroyed even if not firing anything the math seems at first glance to favor going all out despite the +2 TH from heat.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 8, 2018

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I am unfortunately still super-slow, but I still have options, so I'd like feedback. The two moves I am considering this turn are:

Run to 1408, shoot plasmas and SRMs at the jumpy Sept B-Z (on I think 9 and 11), and try to help put it down so it can't backshot our heavies moving in on the Osteon

or

Run to 0909, shoot same at the Osteon (on 8-10, for damage), or else the Sept C-Z (same, but I'd be looking first to push it's heat since it's already at 5).

Thoughts? Defiance, Sair, Paragon, what's most useful to you three?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So much death and destruction... I love it!

Gwaihir posted:

Painedforever, I think you get a lot better value out of dropping those ERLL and just using all your other weapons at this point fwiw. You get pulses for -2 and Artemis V LRMs for -1 to hit so your shots are a lot better, and you can fire all 6 of your non ERLL weapons without worrying about heat.

Oh, don't be so formal! Call me pained, everybody does (literally no-one does).

Y'know, I actually hit someone with my lasers this turn... unlike last turn in which I missed every single medium laser shot. Ah well. I'm going to swing around that L1 box thing, and kill that Septic B-Z threatening our dishes.

Forget conserving 'mechs, it's time to kill them all! The end is nigh!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeschNyhan posted:

Thoughts? Defiance, Sair, Paragon, what's most useful to you three?

Probably best in the long run for the Sept near the dishes to go down. The other two should be locked down for one more turn while they explode me.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, with the other Sept placed where it is, those mechs are going to be shooting us at short range with ATMs and LPLs pretty much no matter what as long as we're in LOS. I say we close in to point-blank range and make a kick circle. I can get my Gurkha in behind the bodyguard Sept, maybe I can stick my knife in his open CT(r)

GhostStalker posted:

However, the ones left look relatively undamaged, except the rear armor of the B-Z, who conveniently hasn't moved at all.

The Sept with an open rear CT is the jumpy one over at the base.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 8, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

drat, I knew that was too good to be true.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It might be better for everyone else but the Dire Wolf Prime to focus on the BZ, it's closer to threatening the HPG and base you're trying to activate or capture respectively, although admittedly the Osteon's iATMs can reach the southern dish with medium ammo at long range and extended range at medium, and the CZ can reach with its plasma cannons at long range.

The Osteon and other Sept are more dangerous together, especially hunkered down in deep woods at +2/+0, and your southern allies are like 1-3 rounds away from being able to attack the next round. Three light mechs (Nyx1 can reach MLs at medium range this turn), a heavy near death, 5 Golems and at most one more medium and a heavy (and that's if both the Wolverine and Dire Wolf C assault the woods instead of the Sept BZ) will take heavy damage against the Osteon and Sept CZ in such a prime defensive position; if you wait 2 rounds while killing the BZ both the southern lights and the Dragoon will reach firing range on the third round, as well as probably the Rabid Coyote (and maybe someone could order the 4 Fire Elementals to stop playing around in the forest fire :), although they won't be in range for a while). Gurkha2 and Nyx1 can reach good positions this and next round respectively.

With the BZ dead attacking the woods will be much easier, and at +4 right now it might take a lot of killing.
This round might be good for getting distance from the heavy woods while attriting the BZ and waiting for the southern reinforcements, and probably killing the BZ in the following round.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 8, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Having looked at it some more I agree that we should try to delay attacking the hostiles in the woods until we group up more.

I also remembered that I need to update the spreadsheet, I will take care of that in the morning.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Having looked at it some more I agree that we should try to delay attacking the hostiles in the woods until we group up more.

What if we set their woods on fire?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oooh, good idea.
Not sure about the woods they're in, but the northern woods (0705 to 0905) would be great if you all sort of loop north while shooting at the BZ, as it'd help block their LoS and help you close (then you could always set their 0507 and 0606 woods on fire as you get to point blank if they're still there). The Dragoon and Black Watch can't make the gap in one round, but they could approach from the southeast as the rest pincer from the northeast. (I'm presuming heavy woods + smoke doesn't make a hex invincible the way 3 intervening heavy/light wood cover or smoke hexes does.) If they try to go north to use the woods they'll have to move first and become more inaccurate, and besides they have infernos themselves anyways for their own woods.

Setting fire to either set of woods would also help Paragon if his mech somehow survives this turn and he's able to move.

Edit: Sorry, yes.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 8, 2018

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

RA Rx posted:

It might be better for everyone else but the Dire Wolf Prime to focus on the BZ, it's closer to threatening the HPG and base you're trying to activate or capture respectively, although admittedly the Osteon's iATMs can reach the southern dish with medium ammo at long range and extended range at medium, and the CZ can reach with its plasma cannons at long range.
The Dire Wolf has been down for a long time ever since Defiance's Gurkha shanked it before the Society showed up. Do you mean the Savage Wolf Prime?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LeschNyhan posted:

What if we set their woods on fire?
This....this is a good idea. Set the woods behind them on fire, though, so they push out towards the firebase.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Double post: the Google Doc has been updated; I added up to turn 16 despite my crippling laziness....I hope it doesnt take us longer than that to kill these last three fuckers off :v:

That has my likely orders on it: run to 1018 and shoot at the B-Z.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This....this is a good idea. Set the woods behind them on fire, though, so they push out towards the firebase.

Setting the woods behind them on fire will just make them harder to hit by stacking smoke cover on top of the heavy woods cover they already have. Not the most productive action to take!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Orders in. Going to become gloriously incandescent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Assault 'Mech List is up. The Hauptman made it on, DI would've killed me if it hadn't.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

paragon1 posted:

Praise the sun. :sun:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

paragon1 posted:

Witness! :black101:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Assault 'Mech List is up. The Hauptman made it on, DI would've killed me if it hadn't.

Did you change the cigar laser or not?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aww yeah

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

paragon1 posted:

Already? Don't you wanna think about it? Talk it over? You can still be saved!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

Did you change the cigar laser or not?

I even added it onto the variants that don't have it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey, I just noticed on your list that you were spelling "Hauptmann" with one n.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

:hfive: this is the right decision

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just make it a fixed part of the base chassis, IMO

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

No Atlas no deal. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

(hey how do I tell him that the Atlas is actually kinda lovely?)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

(Throw up a meme-worthy image of an Atlas punching something, while explaining that any other 'Mech would be able to shoot enemy 'Mechs to death. The image will distract him while you give your explanation.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There are some Clanners that would disagree with you, if they hadn't all died fighting an Atlas in a hurricane. :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zaodai posted:

There are some Clanners that would disagree with you, if they hadn't all died fighting an Atlas in a hurricane. :colbert:

A complete rework of the Atlas, so different as to be an entirety different mech, yes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

wiegieman posted:

A complete rework of the Atlas, so different as to be an entirety different mech, yes.

That's kind of my point, given that we're talking about post-timeskip newtech Atlases here as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a priorities thing. Damage is down across the board (so much so that the Dragon is actually a pretty good 'Mech now). The Great Houses have put their emphasis on building up numbers of newtech 'Mechs, which means lots of mediums, a few support heavies, and a relatively small number of 'command' assault 'Mechs, which is why most of the assaults have a command console. The most notable assault that doesn't is House Kurita's Stalker II, which they've never used as a command platform.

The Hauptmann is Defiance Industries saying "We can build the big stuff in reasonable numbers too, come and get it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Hauptmann is Defiance Industries saying "We can build the big stuff in reasonable numbers too, come and get it."

Just like in 3025.

• Locked thread