Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

fiery_valkyrie posted:

How many tampons do these men think women use??

The way they’re all carrying on you’d think that 90% of government revenue comes from the gst on tampons.

Forget the companies with turnover in the billions that pay no tax - we’re going to bring the budget back into surplus by keeping the tax on tampons!

I think Abbott was on radio saying the pad thing is a slippery slope and where does it end etc so of course if you let them take it off pads they'll be taking it off everything

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-07/tony-abbott-tanya-plibersek-at-odds-on-tampon-tax/9524610

quote:

"My distinguished treasurer was wrong then, and Tanya Plibersek is wrong now," Mr Abbott said on Wednesday.
"Look, once you start having these sorts of exemptions, where does it end? Where does it end?
"We have to broaden the tax base, not start carving out politically correct exceptions.
"But this is typical of the contemporary Labor Party — there is not a bandwagon that they won't jump on if they think there's a vote in it."

GST isn't meant to be on necessities, is it? I'd guess that's where it ends, Tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I live next door, but not in, Batman. One of the suburbs that's half in it.

Got a call from someone in Labour, but my wife hang up before I could grab the phone and have fun. :(

Got a call from Reachtel with a robo-pushpoll on why Labour and the Greens are bad and you'd have to be an idiot to vote for them because you'll be voting for Greenpeace and refugee's.

Got a robocall from "a 70 year old Pensioner" who told me not to vote for the Greens because they voted to keep the pension level down with the Liberals. AFIAK Labour didn't do anything when they were in power?

I have NEVER got more than 1 poll that I recall in an election - tonight I got 3 calls about one. Someone is really desperate and spending a lot of money on it. You can smell it.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 8, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The way they’re all carrying on you’d think that 90% of government revenue comes from the gst on tampons.

Forget the companies with turnover in the billions that pay no tax - we’re going to bring the budget back into surplus by keeping the tax on tampons!

It's not about the tax it brings in, it's about showing women their place.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

tithin posted:

Boom.

Every month as I poo poo and bleed myself into oblivion in an uncomfortable toilet stall hoping nobody opens the door - and this is after a laparoscopy to blast off my endometriosis - I remember that silly "joke" that if men had periods there would be 12 weeks annual leave.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bandaid.friend posted:

I think Abbott was on radio saying the pad thing is a slippery slope and where does it end etc so of course if you let them take it off pads they'll be taking it off everything

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

It's the one true suppository of wisdom.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/971693202859175938

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-07/tony-abbott-tanya-plibersek-at-odds-on-tampon-tax/9524610

GST isn't meant to be on necessities, is it? I'd guess that's where it ends, Tony

Exactly. This same debate happened when gst was introduced.

I remember at the time that they announced that sunscreen would be gst-free. Seems reasonable given we have the highest incidence of melanoma worldwide. I think baby formula was too, but as I didn’t have kids I didn’t pay any attention. Then they announced that condoms were considered an essential good so no gst on them but that tampons etc, were not an essential good so we’d have to pay extra for those.

The idea that products that (almost) every woman between the ages of about 10-12 up to mid-50’s or so use every month is not an essential good is absolutely outrageous.

I’ve spent 18 years feeling bitter about this, as you probably can’t tell from the frothing rant above.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

tithin posted:

Sorry, heading back to the kitchen now.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Out of sheer curiosity, my partner and I ran some mega-rough calculations about how much GST is earned on period products. Assuming:

- 6.5mil women in Australia aged 10-49 (from ABS, 51 is apparently the average but 49 was an easy stat to stop at);
- No accounting for product non-purchase for any reason: late menarche/early menopause, pauses for pregnancy, other fertility issues, reusable products, you got some pads from a friend, whatever. Just straight up twelve periods a month, gotta buy stuff every time;
- $9 spent per period (my partner uses a pack and a half of rather expensive organic ones; most people would probably use a cheaper product), so not even $1 GST per period averaged out.

This comes to a little under $10.80 per year, per woman, or ~$70mil GST paid by Australian women on period products every year. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal for government, but a lot for individuals to miss out on (not to mention loving insulting, of course).

edit: I meant twelve periods a year, but I'm leaving that mistake

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 8, 2018

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Coucho Marx posted:

Just straight up twelve periods a month, gotta buy stuff every time

drat

(I know what you meant)

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
gently caress, whoops, that'd be rough

leaving it in tho

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If it's that much money it's proof women are bearing an unfair part of the tax burden. if it's gently caress all its small enough to get rid of :smugdog:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Coucho Marx posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, my partner and I ran some mega-rough calculations about how much GST is earned on period products. Assuming:

- 6.5mil women in Australia aged 10-49 (from ABS, 51 is apparently the average but 49 was an easy stat to stop at);
- No accounting for product non-purchase for any reason: late menarche/early menopause, pauses for pregnancy, other fertility issues, reusable products, you got some pads from a friend, whatever. Just straight up twelve periods a month, gotta buy stuff every time;
- $9 spent per period (my partner uses a pack and a half of rather expensive organic ones; most people would probably use a cheaper product), so not even $1 GST per period averaged out.

This comes to a little under $10.80 per year, per woman, or ~$70mil GST paid by Australian women on period products every year. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal for government, but a lot for individuals to miss out on (not to mention loving insulting, of course).

edit: I meant twelve periods a year, but I'm leaving that mistake

Joke answer: Somehow encourage most of the women to use menstrual cups and cloth pads and watch the disposable feminine product companies freak out and lobby the government because nobody is buying their stuff anymore and they're losing money.

Alternatively, convince every period-haver to free bleed everywhere, I imagine it'd quickly become an essential when men start having to see blood everywhere...

It'd never happen short of some form of mass mind-control, but it's fun to imagine.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If I was suggesting ISPs for a friend in NSW, what are the AUSPOL approved options?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

QUACKTASTIC posted:

If I was suggesting ISPs for a friend in NSW, what are the AUSPOL approved options?

A cable run from the Trumpbull mansion 100/40 hard line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Skymesh, MyRepublic, Aussie Broadband

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Poetry slam hires security after Mark Latham calls it 'Islamic political ranting'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Poetry slam hires security after Mark Latham calls it 'Islamic political ranting'

I wonder if they've notified their public liability insurance provider.

That's a big jump in supposed risk.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Enlighten at the Aboriginal Tent Embassy last night. Great choice of music with kids around. (self.canberra)

submitted 47 minutes ago by cmdwedge

https://youtu.be/oOr07t4MEhM

Hopped out of the car at Old Parliament House and we were welcomed with this ‘music’ blaring across from the Aboriginal Tent Embassy. Time was 6:40pm.

We were keen on showing our boys (7 and 8) around the Tent Embassy and reading some of the stuff so they could get a better understanding of why it was there. Instead we had to rush through on the way to the Night Noodle Markets and tell them to ignore the music.

Really the best way to impress upon people the plight of our original Australians. /s

https://www.reddit.com/r/canberra/comments/831sgo/enlighten_at_the_aboriginal_tent_embassy_last/

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

froglet posted:

Alternatively, convince every period-haver to free bleed everywhere, I imagine it'd quickly become an essential when men start having to see blood everywhere...
Not sure this actually helps with the cause of equality but Sappho thought it was a plan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bandaid.friend posted:

GST isn't meant to be on necessities, is it?
Yeah, which is dumb because it leads to arbitrary decisions based on where food is cooked, or what particular healthcare/wellbeing products count as essential.

Put the GST on everything and then fix any imbalances with the transfer system. If people can't afford tampons then just give them away for free.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gynecological secretions tax

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Adani is being seen as a test of the Opposition Leader's commitment to policy integrity versus his willingness to say and do whatever is politically expedient, writes Michelle Grattan.

Stay tuned for more incisive brainfarts from the CPG.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Batman by-election: Di Natale caught up in Greens bad blood

So is there just going to be one story a week from now until the by-election? Feedback I'm hearing from others on the ground is people are saying "if her own Party doesn't support her, why should I?"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, which is dumb because it leads to arbitrary decisions based on where food is cooked, or what particular healthcare/wellbeing products count as essential.

Put the GST on everything and then fix any imbalances with the transfer system. If people can't afford tampons then just give them away for free.
Or get rid of a regressive tax all together in favour of ones more suitably aligned to improving social outcomes. MUCH less paperwork for business.

Is this a really subtle comment on the realignment of jobs post feminism or furth evidence that you have to be struck by a hammer to the occipital lobe* to be a cartoonist these days.

EDIT - 'Bad blood' hurf derp

* Or provide medical evidence of a similar injury.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So much for equality honk honk

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Stay tuned for more incisive brainfarts from the CPG.

But which is which, surely the popular policy is gently caress Adani and the sensible policy is gently caress Adani?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

Or get rid of a regressive tax all together in favour of ones more suitably aligned to improving social outcomes. MUCH less paperwork for business.
The current exemptions don't work for that well their intended purpose

Treasury posted:

[O]ne-third of the $5 billion exemption for GST-free food (Australian Government 2009, p. 205) benefits households in the highest 20 per cent of the income distribution.

and a lot of the compliance costs are a result of a poorly designed system (including a wide range of exemptions) rather than inherent issues in a broad based consumption tax. NZ has a much broader consumption tax than ours and compliance costs are roughly halved, and Canada and the UK have similar levels of exemptions while still having significantly lower compliance issues.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Custodial Worker Day is October 2nd

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Most cleaners are women uh oh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/8305zg/reminder_use_a_vpn_when_buying_books_from_book/

:barf:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

:lol:

$40 off your basket of mind poison.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
or buy from a local book provider which may or may not be associated with goons

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

GoldStandardConure posted:

or buy from a local book provider which may or may not be associated with goons

Or better yet don’t unironically buy books on eugenics and phrenology

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

you can't stop me!

(loving lol, saw that image on my phone so couldn't actually see what the books were)

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/Henry_Belot/status/971855016297312256

Extreme measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah only do it ironically. Then get eaten by rats.

• Locked thread