Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's a less-hosed side of the galaxy, at any rate

this is great, I was already thinking to make the first ripping of the Great Rift the sudden warp storm that crashes the player characters' fleet. wrath & glory keeps recommending itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

zeal posted:

there's a less-hosed side of the galaxy, at any rate

this is great, I was already thinking to make the first ripping of the Great Rift the sudden warp storm that crashes the player characters' fleet. wrath & glory keeps recommending itself

Right? I’m starting to plan the setup of a campaign and I was going to try to make all sorts of connections to try to justify a weird mixed party of Imperial factions and maybe some Astartes initiates or maybe even xenos, but now it’s all much easier.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Right? I’m starting to plan the setup of a campaign and I was going to try to make all sorts of connections to try to justify a weird mixed party of Imperial factions and maybe some Astartes initiates or maybe even xenos, but now it’s all much easier.

And they’re trying to get back to Terra but they have to go through all sorts of other groups of weird chaos freaks to get there.

“Astaaaaartes. Come out to pla-ay!”

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I wonder if space marines will be able to choose embiggening as one of their Ascension options

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, Gulliman is fixing everything on the Terra side. You're not on that side.

Hey man, Dante’s got things handled on the super hosed side of the galaxy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pendent posted:

Hey man, Dante’s got things handled on the super hosed side of the galaxy

As Handled as his arms reach is. It's hard to travel around in the Imperium Nihilus because the Astronomicon can't be seen there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LGD posted:

I wonder if space marines will be able to choose embiggening as one of their Ascension options

The Primarus Marines are the size of regular Marines, it's just that previously the TT Marines were smaller than they are in canon. Right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Primarus Marines are the size of regular Marines, it's just that previously the TT Marines were smaller than they are in canon. Right?

No they are stated in universe that they are larger. But the TT Maries are also supposed to be larger.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

OG Marines are obviously and inhumanly large, Primaris are obviously bigger than normal Marines.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jesus. They must be pushing 15 feet. Normal marines are 10.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relevant Tangent posted:

Jesus. They must be pushing 15 feet. Normal marines are 10.

I think they are supposed to be a full head taller. Normal Marines averaged 7 to 8 feet tall.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I guess that makes more sense. Still, those are some big boys.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There are only two legitimate embigenings a Marine should aspire to:
1. Dreadnaught (via near martyrdom)
2. Statue (via actual martyrdom)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

Please do not disrespect the humble Space Marines desire to get more and more of that sweet gene seed.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

Spoken like a pleb marine without access to the glorious (and dumb looking) Dreadknight.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ugh, dreadnights are Grey Knight only, and I don't think they get Primarines.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

JcDent posted:

Yet.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

JcDent posted:

Weren't Grey Knights already extra big?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

Spoken like a pleb marine without access to the glorious (and dumb looking) Dreadknight.

Seems as good as time as any to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6m2kGtbDOc

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

LeSquide posted:

Weren't Grey Knights already extra big?

Slightly shorter than custodians according to Emperor's Legion.

Not sure how normal space marines compare I don't remember

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Slightly shorter than custodians iirc.

edit - I don't remember the Grey Knights being especially huge, but they could be. There's meant to be variation in the average size of the different chapters anyway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Well the whole chapter is already kitted out in terminator armor anyway, so they'd appear taller anyway. Plus size is always relative. Alpha Legion have been described as near man sized for infiltration purposes.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The height (and competence) of space marines is in a continuous state of flux depending on how much paint the writer huffed that day and which faction he liked best.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Everyone should just be playing games about the Fall of the Eldar with the Houses of the Blooded rules.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Grey Knights are Marine sized, since they're just Psyker bros.

I can't wait for a fluff piece that will get me excited about Primarines, 'cos now I'm just meh.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh fluffmasters of the 40k RPG thread: in terms of actual official fluff (40k, Black Library, FFG) do we know about broadcast media in 40k? I mean, there's got to be something, even if it's just "Regimental Standard TV"-level truthy "Would You Like To Know More?" type stuff, right?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i expect on a lot of planets nothing of the kind exists outside of huge public display screens through which recordings of the local ministorum bishop exhorts the populace at set intervals hours of their work shifts. widely available consumer electronics capable of taking in broadcast media, and a whole industry of content-production to put programs on the airwaves, certainly exist somewhere in the imperium but on a lot of worlds that sort of thing would be viewed as a criminal and heretical waste of resources that could be better spent producing more materiel for the forever war

if there's anything resembling Hollywood on an imperial world, that's a fair sign of Slaaneshi corruption

e: the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books have the most coverage of daily life in the Imperium afaik, and from my dim recollections of those the main forms of public entertainment in even advanced hive worlds were in-person events, bloody combat circuses and the like. where an Imperial entertainment industry exits they seem to put on a lot of Running Man-style events

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 10, 2018

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
If you consider the Ciaphas Cain books canon (and you should), I believe it mentions wildly exaggerated versions of his exploits being turned into popular propaganda films. So I'd say that movie theaters or something like them exist, but naturally it's all skewed towards feeding the Imperial war machine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dachshundofdoom posted:

If you consider the Ciaphas Cain books canon (and you should), I believe it mentions wildly exaggerated versions of his exploits being turned into popular propaganda films. So I'd say that movie theaters or something like them exist, but naturally it's all aimed at the appropriate veneration of the immortal God-Emperor of man and the fighting forces of the Imperium through which His will is manifested and achieved.

:commissar:

FTFY.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 10, 2018

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Oh fluffmasters of the 40k RPG thread: in terms of actual official fluff (40k, Black Library, FFG) do we know about broadcast media in 40k? I mean, there's got to be something, even if it's just "Regimental Standard TV"-level truthy "Would You Like To Know More?" type stuff, right?

I recall in one of the Gaunts Ghosts novels (maybe Necropolis?) there was a rival Commissar that was making himself famous by having a news crew constantly following him for distribution among the population via a TV analog.

That said, it's reasonable to assume that these types of things vary wildly from planet to planet. Deathworlds probably aren't big on videos, while I'm sure Hiveworlds have dozens of Uber popular soap opera-daytime shows to keep the masses pacified.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

susan posted:

I recall in one of the Gaunts Ghosts novels (maybe Necropolis?) there was a rival Commissar that was making himself famous by having a news crew constantly following him for distribution among the population via a TV analog.

That said, it's reasonable to assume that these types of things vary wildly from planet to planet. Deathworlds probably aren't big on videos, while I'm sure Hiveworlds have dozens of Uber popular soap opera-daytime shows to keep the masses pacified.

I just really want to have a reason to paint up a TV crew.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner posted:

I just really want to have a reason to paint up a TV crew.

the imperium is big enough that everything exists there somewhere

including a world where flat-top anchormen with skull lapel pins and grinning newswomen with adepta sororitas haircuts exist

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zeal posted:

the imperium is big enough that everything exists there somewhere

including a world where flat-top anchormen with skull lapel pins and grinning newswomen with adepta sororitas haircuts exist

Please don't post my fanfic. :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The more built up worlds that are away from any of the fronts (and there are plenty of those because the Imperium is so big) look a lot like ours. The technology base among the general public varies, but it's usually a little higher than the real world even outside the AdMech. We just don't see them that much because exciting things don't happen on them - no invasions, and decent living conditions mean that few cults can gain a foothold.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I guess the lack of internet is the premier way of stopping cults from manifesting!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Werix posted:

Or Centurion suits. Or high heeled power boots, or feeling chuffed on the numerous taken skulls of your enemies :getin:

Marines are just less honest orks, if they get into positions of power they seem to mysteriously swell.

JcDent posted:

I guess the lack of internet is the premier way of stopping cults from manifesting!

:perfect:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

In the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium, Mankind has finally realized the truth: The Internet was a Mistake.

Though many of the books focused on the Cogboys make mention of the "Nosphere" which really just reads like personal wi-fi networks that machine lovers have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

susan posted:

One of the Ciaphas Cain books also makes mention, mostly via Amberley's foot notes, of a popular holo-drama about a squadron of Navy fighter pilots during the Gothic War, so there's absolutely precedent.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JcDent posted:

in the extremely ancient Inquisition War trilogy there's an Imperial planet in the throes of a Slaaneshi uprising that grew corrupted because its government implemented a lot of genuinely humanitarian social programs like pleasant public housing, food and medical assistance, more humane work hours and conditions. all these left people so happy and content that it was a natural vector for the Dark Prince's libertinism.

to some extent the imperium is kept deliberately terrible for most of the people alive within it, because if they live too well the warp-sensitives among them will have sufficiently lifted spirits to call out to the daemons unconsciously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

This makes Slaanesh less prince of excess and more like Duke of Enough.

That, or he/she/nesh is stretching the definition of excess to grift worship.