Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

UP AND ADAM posted:

Holy poo poo, lol

Amazing Chest ahead, try holding with both h*yoko taro, sitting under a sign reading "Heuristic", sighs, shakes his head then clicks "reject" personally. 1 message down, 4289473 to go.*

Seriously tho, I'm a bit incredulous, as i remember certainly seeing my fair share of "mean" messages, and interpreting semantics is insanely hard unless it's literally just a highly specific manual blacklist of message elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does getting one of the canned kill animations on enemies do anything special? Besides killing the enemy, obviously. I seem to mostly get them when the enemy would die from one hit anyway so it doesn't seem like a very useful feature, at least yet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think it's just an animation, yeah. If you use upgraded weapons and keep your chips up to date you'll quickly start forgetting they even existed in the first place because you'll be tearing through everything except the bosses.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

It doesn’t come from simulated players, people have reported getting thank you messages from people their save file has helped. The part that’s bullshit is that their data gets destroyed when they say it is. Which IMO wasn’t needed anyway, it’s cool enough that someone sacrificed their save to help me even if the game is being honest that that save file can also help other people too and is part of an ever-growing pool.
I assume they seeded it with some developer ghosts, too, right? Unless they wanted to make the very first reviewers do it the hard way...

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Seriously tho, I'm a bit incredulous, as i remember certainly seeing my fair share of "mean" messages, and interpreting semantics is insanely hard unless it's literally just a highly specific manual blacklist of message elements.
Presumably they just give every element a "meanness value", and reject the message if its total meanness is too high.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I think it's just an animation, yeah. If you use upgraded weapons and keep your chips up to date you'll quickly start forgetting they even existed in the first place because you'll be tearing through everything except the bosses.

Update on this, I actually noticed that the animations do have a bit of an AoE and you can knock around other enemies and deal some damage if they get caught in it, which isn't bad. Still probably better to just keep spinning your death tornado around.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Amppelix posted:

Does getting one of the canned kill animations on enemies do anything special? Besides killing the enemy, obviously. I seem to mostly get them when the enemy would die from one hit anyway so it doesn't seem like a very useful feature, at least yet.

It doesnt actually kill the enemy outright, it just deals a lot of damage. They are referred to as Down Attacks in the game

Enemies have a HP value and a hidden stun value that is affected by repeated attacks. The problem is most enemies will die before you can stun them.

One of the sidequest bosses has a very low stun value and high HP so you can do it repeatedly

Its not a very useful mechanic and I wouldve liked something similar to Zandatsu from MGR or torture attacks from Bayo

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hikaki posted:

This is one of my favorite things about the soundtrack. You get the emotional impact of vocals without having to worry about potentially corny lyrics. Leaves more to the imagination too.

a good metaphor for the game in general :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, here's another one: If something says "can be exchanged for money" is that its only use? I never trust games with crafting systems on this stuff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Amppelix posted:

Oh, here's another one: If something says "can be exchanged for money" is that its only use? I never trust games with crafting systems on this stuff.

Seemed to be when I was playing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Yes, that stuff can be safely sold. HOWEVER the game will still ever so slightly screw you because the sell price of certain items - or maybe just Machine Cores? - will go up at certain points. So selling a Machine Core at the beginning of the game is not as useful as selling it closer to the end. That said I sold everything that was marked as money as soon as I could and never ran out past a few hours into the game so it probably doesn't matter.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There's one single side quest where you need 1 of both types of animal meat, but they're also readily available nearby.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kibayasu posted:

HOWEVER the game will still ever so slightly screw you because the sell price of certain items - or maybe just Machine Cores? - will go up at certain points. So selling a Machine Core at the beginning of the game is not as useful as selling it closer to the end.
Depends on what you're using that money for. If it's maxing out your chip capacity or upgrading your main weapons to the level where they get additional modifiers then you want to do that as early as possible and not hold sellables back.

And near the end you probably only need lots of money to keep a 99 stock of every healing item or use at the shops to unlock achievements or buy rare materials to upgrade everything to LV4 for that quest

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, taking on father servo mk.3 at low levels was not a good idea, but at least I won.

It was actually really easy, and also really, really, really tedious.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Well, taking on father servo mk.3 at low levels was not a good idea, but at least I won.

It was actually really easy, and also really, really, really tedious.

FYI while you can finish the game before completing all side quests after beating the game you are given a level select that allows you to go back to complete any you missed. There are also a few specific side quests that become available well before you'll be at the appropriate level to be able to do them (like the one you did).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldR-uR3UFw

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there any point to doing the same sidequests when i'm on the 2nd playthrough and beyond?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sidequests don't repeat. If there's sidequests on run B that you remember from run A, you didn't finish them the first time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Dabir posted:

Sidequests don't repeat. If there's sidequests on run B that you remember from run A, you didn't finish them the first time.

Awesome, that's good to know.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

FYI while you can finish the game before completing all side quests after beating the game you are given a level select that allows you to go back to complete any you missed. There are also a few specific side quests that become available well before you'll be at the appropriate level to be able to do them (like the one you did).

I did know that first part (it's been hard to escape some knowledge of this game) and I discovered the second pretty early and gave up on a quest that gave me clearly overleveled enemies, but I like doing sidequests so I'm going to at least try all of them that become available. Servo was just easy enough that I didn't want to stop even after I discovered that it would take forever to kill him.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh no, who decided that "no" should be the default option when asked if you want to equip your chips in the same configuration as before? Definitely didn't want to spend ten minutes figuring those out again.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Kin posted:

Awesome, that's good to know.

Some quests have epilogues that need to be gotten to count as completed, as well. There's at least one quest in A that I got the reward for but didn't "finish" and had to redo in B, which let me get the reward a second time. So if you're seeing repeats of ones you thought you did, that might be why.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

RubberLuffy posted:

Some quests have epilogues that need to be gotten to count as completed, as well. There's at least one quest in A that I got the reward for but didn't "finish" and had to redo in B, which let me get the reward a second time. So if you're seeing repeats of ones you thought you did, that might be why.

I think that might be what's happening. I'm sure i finished up the resistance fighter stealing chips for a surrogate family because i got an email telling me what happened to him, but here i am doing it again.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Oh FFS, i just lost about an hour of progress on the 3rd playthrough cos i died.

I totally forgot about the lack of autosave and got as far as the bit where i'm running around infected. Turns out i didn't save at all!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Kin posted:

Oh FFS, i just lost about an hour of progress on the 3rd playthrough cos i died.

I totally forgot about the lack of autosave and got as far as the bit where i'm running around infected. Turns out i didn't save at all!

Use the save point right near the entrance to the pipe, you can still save during that sequence.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kin posted:

Hey welcome to the club! I did the exact same thing at what sounds like exactly the same point in the game

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry for your loss. Just go around the big hole the long way.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I just got this game on sale on Steam, and I am bad at it and find it confusing but also like it, which seems like the default response. :v:

I've installed FAR and the HD texture pack, but is there any way to reduce the crazy amount of object & texture pop-in? It's not a deal breaker but it's surprisingly bad for a new-ish game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I tried fighting the lv 99 secret boss as lv 60 but either the thing doesnt have a health bar or I wasnt doing damage. Either way died from lack of healing items

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

sean10mm posted:

So I just got this game on sale on Steam, and I am bad at it and find it confusing but also like it, which seems like the default response. :v:

I've installed FAR and the HD texture pack, but is there any way to reduce the crazy amount of object & texture pop-in? It's not a deal breaker but it's surprisingly bad for a new-ish game.

I haven’t been seeing an issue with this, but I put the HD texture pack on a different SSD after the install guide called that out as being a potential issue. Turns out the game isn’t exactly the most optimized at loading! It seems to be really smooth for me, I’ve only been able to clip into one mountainside and I have no idea what that was about if not a funny bit of platforming.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

I tried fighting the lv 99 secret boss as lv 60 but either the thing doesnt have a health bar or I wasnt doing damage. Either way died from lack of healing items

You need to be at least 80 to stand a chance.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

onesixtwo posted:

I haven’t been seeing an issue with this, but I put the HD texture pack on a different SSD after the install guide called that out as being a potential issue. Turns out the game isn’t exactly the most optimized at loading! It seems to be really smooth for me, I’ve only been able to clip into one mountainside and I have no idea what that was about if not a funny bit of platforming.

Pop in was the same for be before and after doing the HD textures so that's not really it, at least not for me. Turning off AA seemed to help with it some, plus it seems like there is some AA built in anyway so it was redundant anyway.

Also I stink at boss fights in this game, just gave up and went back to easy against one of them.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 13, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wondered why the music for the big desert multiball boss was so bizarrely epic out of nowhere (i don't think even the final boss gets unique music but this does??) then I looked up the theme on youtube and the title revealed why. I've got to start over and level up all those drat weapons this tims

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

2house2fly posted:

I wondered why the music for the big desert multiball boss was so bizarrely epic out of nowhere (i don't think even the final boss gets unique music but this does??) then I looked up the theme on youtube and the title revealed why. I've got to start over and level up all those drat weapons this tims

Is there actually any relation between Hegel and Emil, besides them both being big balls that live in the desert?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hikaki posted:

Is there actually any relation between Hegel and Emil, besides them both being big balls that live in the desert?

I don’t think so but in hindsight maybe the machines based Hegel on those Emils.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So last night I tried completing the prologue for the first time on Hard Mode. After 6 or so tries I had to quit for the day.

Everything else is very doable but the last boss still has annoying moves that hit you unexpectedly like the mouth laser or AoE smash.

I still want to do it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I played 10 hours before I realized you could do more than single click individual light/heavy swings, and your pod had a special ability other than "hold down buttan to fire."

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This is a game that theoretically lets you do this (heavy spoiler warning) but it really never ever demands anything even close. Even in hard difficulty you can - unlike most other platinum titles - always fall back to the rpg safety net of solving a lack of dexterity with just grinding for a few more levels.
The ultimate DLC arenas sort of push a bit more into that direction, but otherwise the game really lets you engage with most of its mechanics as much (or rather: little) as you want.

One of my friends (playing on easy with auto chips) was asking how "the game generated the funny messages on the weird androids lying around", and she's about nearing the end of [A]. You can miss a lot in this game, and the game really won't bother you about it.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress that god drat ball Goliath motherfucker.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress that god drat ball Goliath motherfucker.

Run around shooting it, use the 99 recoveries you bought for peanuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gort posted:

Run around shooting it, use the 99 recoveries you bought for peanuts

I used them on the fight I had with it five minutes prior.

Done it now though. I feel like my pod's gun does more work than I do in the majority of fights.