Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Neg Grorman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Really looking forward to the US trotting out Jon Daly for Phillip Morris to get Australia to roll back plain packaging laws.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Trump seems more likely to listen to a golfer than any politician.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

loving hell, that might actually work an all

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Whitlam posted:

Batman by-election: Di Natale caught up in Greens bad blood

So is there just going to be one story a week from now until the by-election? Feedback I'm hearing from others on the ground is people are saying "if her own Party doesn't support her, why should I?"

Thats the plan.

quote:

Richard Di Natale has spoken of his frustration that one week out from a byelection in the Victorian electorate of Batman, disgruntled Greens party members are continuing to leak damaging reports about its candidate, Alex Bhathal.

The Greens leader disputed parts of a report by the ABC on Friday that he had ordered Bhathal be investigated five years ago over the alleged use of confidential party information, and said it was concerning that Greens members were leaking information to the media to undermine her.

The ABC reported that the Greens’ 2013 state council meeting included discussions about the alleged misuse of in-camera information from the party’s executive meeting. The ABC said there were allegations Bhathal misused this confidential information, prompting Di Natale to intervene.

But Di Natale told Guardian Australia there was nothing controversial about him referring the matter on, and that he was not concerned about Bhathal specifically.

“The issue of in-camera minutes was already being debated at state council and remained unresolved, so I simply suggested a procedural motion to refer it to another forum,” he said. “This is common practice and we regularly refer contested matters from state council to other working groups.”

The report follows the leaking of a 101-page internal complaint against Bhathal. The complaint was leaked to media despite being investigated and dealt with.

Bhathal has run for the Greens repeatedly since 2001, losing Batman in 2016 when Liberal preferences flowed to Labor’s David Feeney. The upcoming 17 March byelection was sparked after Feeney resigned from parliament over dual citizenship.

Guardian Australia understands that a number of Greens members would rather see Bhathal lose in order to preserve a chance of a different candidate running in future.

“It’s disappointing that a small number of people who disagree with the outcome of a democratic, grassroots preselection process are undermining the chances of electing a strong, progressive woman in Batman,” Di Natale said.

When the internal complaint against her was leaked, Bhathal, a social worker, said: “We’re dealing with a situation here where I’m very well known and people can make their own judgments.”

A Greens victory in Batman would give the party its second lower house seat. The seat of Melbourne is held by Adam Bandt.

quote:

ABC radio claimed on Friday that a fresh complaint had been lodged and would be dealt with after the byelection on Saturday March 17, which the Greens say is not correct.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jesus christ. I honestly can't even recall this level of mudslinging happening in NSW during an election period. Immediately after and up until the next election oh yeah, but not literally days before the vote.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Normal brain the gst is okay
Active brain a gst on tampons but not other essential services is anti feminist
Galaxy brain gst is inherently regressive and thus anti feminist regardless of what exemptions apply

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

Normal brain the gst is okay
Active brain a gst on tampons but not other essential services is anti feminist
Galaxy brain gst is inherently regressive and thus anti feminist regardless of what exemptions apply

universe brain 100% tax on everything including life

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not if the matriarchy are in charge!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/denishar-woods-undergoes-mri-after-electric-shock-brain-damage/9529346

quote:

Ms Harrison was also injured in the accident as she tried to drag her daughter out of a pool of electrified water.

She was watering her garden on Saturday night when the power to the house went out, and when she went to the meter box to turn the power back on, she received a small electric shock.

Ms Harrison said she contacted the Department of Housing's emergency line to notify them of the fault, but was not given a warning not to touch anything.

Her daughter then went to turn off the garden hose and was instantly gripped by a massive electrical current.

The electric shock has been blamed on a malfunction in the property's electricity supply, known as an "open circuit neutral".

It hit Denishar with a surge of up to 250 volts of electricity, which is five times the amount that can cause serious damage to the human body.

A Perth barrister has said the Woods family could be eligible for millions of dollars in compensation if the Department of Housing is found to have failed to provide them with safe and adequate housing.

Ms Harrison revealed earlier this week the Department of Housing had offered her family up to one month's free rent, which would enable them to save $800 to put towards a car.

jfc :psyduck:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Guess they won't be buying electric

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

When this was posted to the ABC facebook all the commenters were talking about how dumb they are, i mean EVERYONE knows that electrical systems are grounded via the plumbing fixtures omg they deserved it

Followed by Brown Blitzkreig dunking on them and stiring poo poo up

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I just had someone try and convince me we should keep the level crossings because "grade separation and reduced visibility along the elevated rail would create unsafe situations for children, women and elderly people." That'd be offensive enough on its own, but two children were hit and killed at that particular crossing. :downsbravo:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Reduced visibility?

I don't understand, visibility of what?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Whitlam posted:

I just had someone try and convince me we should keep the level crossings because "grade separation and reduced visibility along the elevated rail would create unsafe situations for children, women and elderly people." That'd be offensive enough on its own, but two children were hit and killed at that particular crossing. :downsbravo:

I don't know what it is about level crossings, but the issue certainly seems to bring out a particular type of loony.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

drunkill posted:

Reduced visibility?

I don't understand, visibility of what?

I assume traditional overhead threats to women, like fighter jets, space debris, and large apes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

I assume traditional overhead threats to women, like fighter jets, space debris, and large apes.

Describing men as large apes, is probably quite unfair to large apes with regards their threat level to women.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Describing men as large apes, is probably quite unfair to large apes with regards their threat level to women.

Large apes shouldn't pose any threat to real Strong Independent Women.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Fay Wray is responsible for King Kong's rampage, t'was friendzone killed the beast

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just while we're on misogyny chat, I met a guy who was convinced we were a matriarchal society. And his reasoning was that a lot more advertising money is spent targeting women than me, ergo, matriarchy. I'm not exagerating, that was the beginning and end of his reasoning.

He was also one of those 'women just aren't geared for STEM' while being a loving account manager at an advertising firm.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Just while we're on misogyny chat, I met a guy who was convinced we were a matriarchal society. And his reasoning was that a lot more advertising money is spent targeting women than me, ergo, matriarchy. I'm not exagerating, that was the beginning and end of his reasoning.

He was also one of those 'women just aren't geared for STEM' while being a loving account manager at an advertising firm.

But did you deadlift him and hurl his body from the trees in a display of primal power?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GoldStandardConure posted:

or buy from a local book provider which may or may not be associated with goons

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Snowman_McK posted:

I work with a guy I know was a bit odd and antisocial. Some time later he shared his thoughts on some.... interesting energy generation ideas, and declared an enormous boner for Elon Musk.

Imagine my shock when he turned out to have lovely opinions on women, and even tried the old garbage truck gender disparity argument. Haven't heard that one in years.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

beat up this man then buy a book from your local book provider

then beat him up again with the book you bought

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
You know what else comes in books?

That's right... anime.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
UM ITS CALLED MANGA NOT ANIME

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You both misspelled "trash".

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mad Katter posted:

I don't know what it is about level crossings, but the issue certainly seems to bring out a particular type of loony.

Do they actually believe it or is it just nimby types who have realised no one else gives a gently caress about the property prices along the sky rail route and just want to drive to work with less interruption?

Whitlam posted:

Batman by-election: Di Natale caught up in Greens bad blood

So is there just going to be one story a week from now until the by-election? Feedback I'm hearing from others on the ground is people are saying "if her own Party doesn't support her, why should I?"

Surely a Greens MP in parliament is better than no MP in parliament plus whatever long term reputational damage has been done to the party by all of this. Maybe they have a legitimate grievance, maybe it's just self serving politicking but surely if you have any kind of desire to see party values become law you don't start loving the party in the middle of an election campaign.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

UM ITS CALLED MANGA NOT ANIME

Trap sprung.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

You know what else comes in books?

Barnaby

he don’t know what else to do with them

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DancingShade posted:

But did you deadlift him and hurl his body from the trees in a display of primal power?

I did not, and I now regret this missed opportunity.

Zenithe posted:

Imagine my shock when he turned out to have lovely opinions on women, and even tried the old garbage truck gender disparity argument. Haven't heard that one in years.

I've heard this one a bit recently too. What's your answer to it?

beat up this man then buy a book from your local book provider

then beat him up again with the book you bought

If you're around Lyneham in Canberra, there's a fantastic second hand book shop called book lore. I knew it would be my sort of shop when I realised fantasy was one small half section, and history was roughly a third of the rest of the shop, and they had two different biographies of Hannibal Barca.

support your local book shops.

Also, if you're going to hit someone with a book, I recommend 'Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War' it's got a real density to it. And it's a pretty good book.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zenithe posted:

I work with a guy I know was a bit odd and antisocial. Some time later he shared his thoughts on some.... interesting energy generation ideas, and declared an enormous boner for Elon Musk.

What is it with shitheads like that and technology, nuclear power and so on? Maybe it's like autism but instead of trainsets and anime they prefer nuclear reactors.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Trap sprung.

hooman senpai noticed me~~~

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Snowman_McK posted:

I've heard this one a bit recently too. What's your answer to it?

He doled out a bunch at once, so I responded to something else instead (men dying at higher rates in the workforce). We have like 5 minutes between shifts and i'm not going to stay back unpaid to debate idiots at the end of a shift.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mad Katter posted:

Especially the entire Liberal Party in Victoria. They loving hate the level crossing removals and the Metro tunnel

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Put the GST on everything and then fix any imbalances with the transfer system. If people can't afford tampons then just give them away for free.

Just wanna say I agree with this entirely. Tax it all then redistribute to the needy through welfare, lower income tax breaks, tax free threshold etc.

Also abolish stamp duty and replace it with land tax for all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm thinking of starting a single issue Xenophon type party to just run in the senate called the corporate taxation enforcement party and just loving block and poo poo on everything until it happens.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

I'm thinking of starting a single issue Xenophon type party to just run in the senate called the corporate taxation enforcement party and just loving block and poo poo on everything until it happens.

I'd vote for that party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'm thinking of starting a single issue Xenophon type party to just run in the senate called the jbp make a good post party and just loving block and poo poo on everything until it happens.

• Locked thread