Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Forum Joe posted:

Quick question: I bought a new receiver and got it all hooked up. It’s a Yamaha HTR-4071 and it sounds great for the price and has all the functionality I was looking for...
...except the Spotify streaming sounds terrible. Really washed out sound, not much in the kids or bass. Now, it’s not a big deal because I can get much better sound by using the PS4 or my iPhone via Bluetooth to play Spotify through the receiver and both give normal, full quality sound. So is this normal? Why is the built-in Spotify streaming so poo poo?

Does the receiver have an ”enhancer” for compressed music? Is that on? Try turning it off. Check settings for other effects and corrections as well. All built-in Spotify connect devices should use the 320 kbps stream so that should not be the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

nitsuga posted:

I hate to be obnoxious, but anybody got any ideas on this? I can't really tell when it's cranked, but when I fade it to the right I can hear it for sure.

Check the connections to the tweeter. Are they solid? Electrically isolate the tweeter from the rest of the speaker then touch the speaker wires from the amp (turned down VERY low) across it's terminals. Does it work?

I recently repaired a speaker that was doing this, the spade terminal that connected the tweeter had become loose over time. Pinching it back down with pliers resolved the problem.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 18, 2018

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah the fact that it's less obvious at high volume sounds like (lol) the tweeter's not even working. Our ears' frequency response to lows and highs are rolled off at lower volumes and flatter at higher volumes (this is what a "loudness" control/switch on receivers is for), so when it's cranked the treble being output by the larger driver sounds relatively louder and somewhat compensates for the lack of tweeter.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks! I'll wiggle those wires tomorrow. Pretty neat with the "Loudness" button too. I had a receiver a while back with one of those, and I always kept it pushed in. Now I know why.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally set up the receiver in my media center. I think I need to get one of those digital optical cables to plug the tv into the receiver? Right now I have all my HDMI stuff (consoles, Blu-ray) going through the receiver but we mostly watch stuff on the smart TV apps. So I'm wondering if I should get one of those and just plug stuff into the tv via HDMI and run all audio to the receiver from the tv?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does your TV or receiver not have an ARC input?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Endless Mike posted:

Does your TV or receiver not have an ARC input?

The tv doesn't specify next to the HDMI slot so I assume not.

It's a Vizio E series from a a few years ago.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My beloved receiver of 8 years just passed away, an HK AVR 254, may it rest in peace. In lieu of flowers, please send recommendations for a new receiver that's around or under $500. Wirecutter recommends the Denon AVR-S730H and all its specs seem to meet or exceed what I already had, though it comes with a bunch of streaming stuff I could do without. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with this? Or is there something cheaper that's still good quality hardware, that maybe lacks integrated streaming? I could probably use the additional wattage since my setup includes a couple standing speakers, although I do wonder if this is overkill.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 21, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I keep hearing the head-fi crowd gushing over DSD but I don’t see a point when source material is PCM. In fact it seems like a step backward unless you’re originating from a very high bitrate or pristine analog source.

Am I missing something, or I’d it just audiophile nuttery?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

All hi-res music stuff is bunk, just a way for companies to get people to pay more for music and upgrade their gear. Especially since most of the people who can afford this stuff are at an age where they probably can't hear anything over 15khz anyway. MQA is the worst though since it's lossy compression and an undefeatable built-in eq curve.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sure, but converting PCM-anything to DSD seems uniquely bad because you’re resampling the audio, introducing a layer of loss.

I’m seeing dudes brag about converting FLAC to DSD. As far as I can tell, they’re both making music worse, and harder to play on common devices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I’m seeing dudes brag about converting FLAC to DSD. As far as I can tell, they’re both making music worse, and harder to play on common devices.
If you're not used to audiophile thinking this may seem odd but honestly it's par for the course. Most "tweaks" are useless but there's a special category that actually makes things worse. For some reason the fact that digital audio isn't complicated enough is a genuine problem for these people and the simple rule that transcoding cannot improve sound quality is too simple for their golden ears.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

eddiewalker posted:

Sure, but converting PCM-anything to DSD seems uniquely bad because you’re resampling the audio, introducing a layer of loss.
"Loss" in the sense that if you converted back, it wouldn't end up mathematically identical, maybe. But it wouldn't be noticeable to the human hearing at all. You wouldn't know. You couldn't. That goes for the guys saying the conversion is desirable, but also for someone insisting they're making music worse, I guess.

It is extremely pointless and idiotic though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Flipperwaldt posted:

"Loss" in the sense that if you converted back, it wouldn't end up mathematically identical, maybe. But it wouldn't be noticeable to the human hearing at all. You wouldn't know. You couldn't. That goes for the guys saying the conversion is desirable, but also for someone insisting they're making music worse, I guess.

It is extremely pointless and idiotic though.

Distinguishable or not, you’re not pulling in more resolution out of thin air and you’re making files that are harder to play. I guess my intuition was correct.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TX-NR676. Fairly new, just starting to scratch the surface of the net features, namely Spotify. I usually exclusively listen to locally stored music, but as theres no YouTube without using another device (guess I could just use Bluetooth instead of WiFi) I bring up Spotify when I wanna hear something I don't own. But it doesn't wanna work. Aside from seeming to take too long to connect, it does indicate on screen that it's playing but I get nothing. Did a firmware update the other day so that's all up to date. Works fine when I just play music over my network off my phone or NAS or whatever. I don't really like the Spotify app either as it kinda wants to take over, last time I tried it defaulted to that when I got in the car after instead of my normal music player. Any thoughts? Still some kinks to be worked out with this stuff?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
No experience with TX-NR676 but I use Spotify Connect a lot with a RX-V681, WXAD-10, iphone, mac and a Windows pc and it has worked well. So no fundamental issues I would assume, possibly some related to specific implementations?

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Just how much better are paired stereo bluetooth speakers compared to a single? I've never owned one - alway played music on a good pair of bookshelves - but now I'm in the market for a portable speaker, and listening in effectively mono seems weird. Is dropping some dough on e.g. a pair of JBL Flip 4s going to give significantly better sound quality than dropping the same cash on e.g. a single Megaboom? I'm trying to fill a room with sound (bedroom/lounge room/kitchen listening) not host parties, so quality over loudness for me. Budget is about $200AUD-ish.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I got two of these outdoor speakers for free: http://www.ticcorp.com/products/gs3-8-outdoor-weather-resistant-omnidirectional-in-ground-speaker.html (200W, 8Ω) and I want to find a small amp that I can use to power them, using a Google Chromecast Audio for the input source. I say "small" in the sense that I have a small apartment and I don't have a lot of room or a spare shelf for it. I plan on keeping the amp indoors and running the speaker wires outside to my deck where the speakers will be. I am also hoping I can pay under $100 for it.

Would something like this work for me: https://www.amazon.com/microFidelity-Audio-Amplifier-Model-Black/dp/B004HW3KKE ?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That looks sketchy even by the standards of Chinese tripath amps on Amazon and there's absolutely no way it puts out 150 watts [ah, burst mode in mono, probably at 115% THD]. There's better known brands like SMSL and Micca that offer amps under $100.
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-T...3&keywords=smsl
https://www.amazon.com/Micca-OriGai...3VFCYSTYQ7E4H58

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

That looks sketchy even by the standards of Chinese tripath amps on Amazon and there's absolutely no way it puts out 150 watts [ah, burst mode in mono, probably at 115% THD]. There's better known brands like SMSL and Micca that offer amps under $100.
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-T...3&keywords=smsl
https://www.amazon.com/Micca-OriGai...3VFCYSTYQ7E4H58

Thanks! I think that's exactly what I am looking for. I ordered the Micca.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a high-quality speaker-level RCA out to line-level out converter for subwoofers? Is this a dumb thing to do?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2018

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Is this a car stereo or something? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the converter?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Onkyo A-9010 has a speaker level RCA out, but no pre-out or sub-out, which is really odd. I'd like to use it with a Dayton Audio sub I have lying around.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elac has updated the Debut series, they look pretty different. Front ports, new woofer and tweeter, looks like they're a little easier to drive too since they're listing them as 6 ohms nominal instead of 4.

quote:

B5.2 two-way bookshelf speaker with a 5. 25-inch woofer ($250/pair)
B6.2 two-way bookshelf speaker with a 6. 5-inch woofer ($300/pair)
C5.2 two-way center speaker with dual 5.25-inch woofers ($200 each)
C6.2 two-way center speaker with dual 6.5-inch woofers ($280 each)
F5.2 three-way floorstanding speaker with three 5.25-inch woofers ($300 each)
F6.2 three-way floorstanding speaker with three 6.5-inch woofers ($400 each)
A4.2 Dolby Atmos add-on speaker with a 4-inch dual-concentric driver ($250/pair)
OW4.2 wall-mountable two-way speaker with a 4-inch woofer ($250/pair)
SUB3010 400-watt powered subwoofer with a 10-inch driver ($450)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Eager to try the B6.2, was thinking of B6 for a living room setup. Someone was saying that the B6 isn't all it's cracked up to be though.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Gotcha. Not sure what your inputs are on the Dayton, but here's what I would do.

If the line out on the Onkyo adjusts with the volume level I would simply hook the sub straight in RCA to RCA.

If the line level doesn't adjust, I would run the L R speaker outputs to the sub (if the sub has a passthrough) and then via the terminal outs on the sub to your speakers.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bigman.50grand posted:

Gotcha. Not sure what your inputs are on the Dayton, but here's what I would do.

If the line out on the Onkyo adjusts with the volume level I would simply hook the sub straight in RCA to RCA.

If the line level doesn't adjust, I would run the L R speaker outputs to the sub (if the sub has a passthrough) and then via the terminal outs on the sub to your speakers.
Thanks a lot, I think it does have a passthrough, I'll check when I get home.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The Onkyo A-9010 has a speaker level RCA out, but no pre-out or sub-out, which is really odd. I'd like to use it with a Dayton Audio sub I have lying around.

Looked up that receiver. I see speaker level binding posts and a preamp lineout. You shouldn’t need any sort of adapter to use a powered subwoofer. You won’t get any crossover from that receiver, though, so your mains will be getting a full signal. The line-puts also probably aren’t level-adjustable.

The only place you’ll see speaker level RCA is on really old junk. Like low-end from the 70s. Maybe a goofy home-theater-in-a-box unit.

edit: forgot pass-thrus are a thing. Do that.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 2, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know it looks like a preamp lineout, but it actually isn't, I tried, it's speaker-level. They want you to buy the 9050 for a sub out. Pass through route is totally fine with me though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I liked the amp shootout thread, but I like reading about weird gear.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I just learned that CD transports are a thing. They're CD players without a built in DAC since lots of people may have external ones. I can see the sense in that. What I can't understand is why some of them cost $450. If they're outputting a digital signal shouldn't the output be identical to a $35 DVD player from Walmart?

I know high end audio gear can get silly but I just want to be sure I'm understanding this situation correctly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

McCracAttack posted:

I just learned that CD transports are a thing. They're CD players without a built in DAC since lots of people may have external ones. I can see the sense in that. What I can't understand is why some of them cost $450. If they're outputting a digital signal shouldn't the output be identical to a $35 DVD player from Walmart?

I know high end audio gear can get silly but I just want to be sure I'm understanding this situation correctly.

It’s basically crazy. On some corner of the internet, you’ll find “audiophiles” hoarding original PlayStations just to play CDs because of Reasons.

https://www.stereophile.com/features/368/index.html

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eddiewalker posted:

It’s basically crazy. On some corner of the internet, you’ll find “audiophiles” hoarding original PlayStations just to play CDs because of Reasons.

I'm 95% sure the guy who started the Playstation thing even admitted it was a hoax a while back, but I can't find the link. As I recall there was an aspect of warming up involved as well, as in it was recommended to leave your PS1 powered on for something like 24 hours before trying to listen to anything.

edit: That article is also very interesting. I nearly closed it when I reached the point where they were talking about directionality in passive cables, but then they pulled out a fairly reasonable explanation of a slightly poor fitting connection at one end resulting in reflections which screwed with clock recovery. The embedded clocking of S/PDIF combined with lack of error detection does provide a plausible explanation for audible differences caused solely by jitter.

As noted, how much it actually matters depends on how the receiver handles it, so each pairing of source and sink, plus potentially cable as noted, could have different results depending on quality and tolerance. A picky sink may benefit more from a higher quality source device than a tolerant sink.

All of this should go out the window however for HDMI-connected sources like Bluray players or game consoles, since the clock is carried separately from the data. A poorly made cable with mismatched pair lengths could cause a different kind of jitter though due to its parallel nature, but that would be consistent and would produce very obvious visual issues if it was bad enough to affect audio.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 8, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah it's definitely nonsense but no amount of actual reality will deter an audiophool.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I had a Pioneer CD player once, where a previous owner had upgraded the clock crystal.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I thought the ps1 thing was based on a nugget of truth- some models having useful stereo outputs and a controller board/chip that appeared on more expensive cd players at the time but sony could throw into the ps1 due to economy of scale.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sony used stuff as used in their audio kit, but Sony audio kit was never stunningly good in the first place.

To suggest Sony fluked out and somehow produced one of the best CD players accidentally in a games console of all things is pretty funny.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sony used to produce really well-designed and well-built gear, especially their ES series and their MiniDisc players, which were simply outstanding. They started throwing all of that away sometime during the 90s, unfortunately.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Audiophiles exist because back in the 60s, simple adjustments could make a huge change. You could swap out tubes for ones with different characteristics and none of them were perfect so it was all subjective. Media was inherently lossy and couldn't be easily copied. Home equipment was simple to modify and improving all the time. It was like how car people of the same era were loving around with the tuning on their carburetor with nothing but a screwdriver.

Then the digital revolution happened and we could prove mathematically that all sounds up to Niquest could be reproduced perfectly and bit perfect copies of masters were the standard and an entire audio circuit was one IC that couldn't be modified and it made people lose their goddamned minds. These people's hobby wasn't listening to music, it was tinkering with audio equipment. And that hobby died practically overnight. So they made up some bullshit to save that hobby and snakeoil salesmen are happy to serve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

To bring this back to quick questions, is there really no good option for bringing sound from a laptop to a stereo, other than a long-rear end cable or messing around with more or less unreliable wireless bodge-jobs?

The laptop in question has bluetooth 3.0 AFAIK, so that seems like the most straight-forward option (provided the latency isn't too bad), because actual wireless audio dongles are rare as hen's teeth, and Chromecast/Airplay has way too much inherent latency that can't be avoided.