Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Ok Xenoblade 2 introduced a "Mercenary Mission" thing.
What's good about it - is that you send junk blades on "missions" that run in the background as you play the game. Kind of like rebuilding the towns in Bravely Default.

What's really bad about it is that these missions is that sometimes a quest will give you a merc. mission to complete before you can continue - so instead of just gunning through the quest, you have to wait 20 minutes before you can finish it.
And you can only have one merc mission running at a time. Which really sucks since I now have multiple quests all waiting for merc missions to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

scarycave posted:

What's good about it - is that you send junk blades on "missions" that run in the background as you play the game. Kind of like rebuilding the towns in Bravely Default.

What's really bad about it is that these missions is that sometimes a quest will give you a merc. mission to complete before you can continue - so instead of just gunning through the quest, you have to wait 20 minutes before you can finish it.
And you can only have one merc mission running at a time. Which really sucks since I now have multiple quests all waiting for merc missions to be done.

When you level up your merc group you can send more groups out at a time.

Helps, but doesn't fix the original problem of it kind of being a dumb system. Also you need to do a LOT of missions to level up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

scarycave posted:

Let me tell you about this rare blade named Ursula...

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Prey ending spoilers when they pull the plug on the simulation Alex says "We failed. This isn't the one" and the lady says "start over". Which completely spoils the fact that you are not Morgan, that you are at the very most a clone or some construct being fed the simulation. I actually thought they were trying to recreate you and the simulation was a way of confirming they copied you properly, so I still had the typhon twist when I got the real ending,
but this ending explicitly told me I was in a simulation and was not actually Morgan. It should have just cut out after the simulation Alex said he'd never have guessed you would just run away.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Everyone guessing the ending just makes me more aware of how dense I am. :(

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I started playing World of Warcraft again, for the first time in eight years.

also, the Dragonblight zone in Northrend has all these quests that end in "introduce yourself to the dragon queen" like holy poo poo if i haven't murdered a whole bunch of bad dragons and all the other major players in this area already and already gone through this with you, you know who i am

anyway then i hit level 80 and went to Pandaria where there's these big bad asian stereotype demon monsters called Mogu and their "[i'm being attacked!]" dialogue is just atrocious

"A lively spirit for the taking..." cool you're dead in 3-5 seconds

"Hold still, it will be over soon..." yeah i'm burning some power to make sure it will because i don't want to see what else is in your rapey text chain

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FFT posted:

I started playing World of Warcraft again, for the first time in eight years.

I'm sorry for whatever chain of events led to this.

Anyway, there's this old loving game called Gotcha Force. It has an atrocious dub but the gameplay is weirdly satisfying. It's a very simple arena based action game where you play as little toy robots and shoot other little toy robots. Every line of characters has a gimmick. Some are just dudes with guns and swords. Some are mobile nuke platforms. Others exist just to self destruct. You can get every character in the game - and most of them have like four color variations. It's a weird and really fun game to play if you're into that obsessive collection thing.

What drags it down is that there's two dudes you can't get legit and the only way to get them is to either cheat, or exploit an obtuse in-game bug to add them to your inventory. One is the final boss, which fine sure. Final bosses aren't usually playable. And the other is an evil version of the main character that was, inexplicably, event only. Like Mew, from Pokemon. Except, you know. For this game no one ever played or heard of.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yokai Watch buffs it’s collectable monster count by having good old recolored monsters. Pretty lame.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nuebot posted:

I'm sorry for whatever chain of events led to this.
i blame my roommate going "so I'm going to start playing WoW again"

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can pretty much tell the exact second they ran out of money. Then despite having time to work on it (because valve said the game couldn't come out before Half Life 2) Activision just let it languish. Damned shame.

It's not only just fighting, but terribly balanced fighting. The snake woman boss is absurdly hard to kill, and the end bit when you go though the skyscraper full of heavily armed soldiers who cannot be drunk from is just a horrible slog, especially if you hadn't bought a huge pile of blood packs.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Gerblyn posted:

It's not only just fighting, but terribly balanced fighting. The snake woman boss is absurdly hard to kill, and the end bit when you go though the skyscraper full of heavily armed soldiers who cannot be drunk from is just a horrible slog, especially if you hadn't bought a huge pile of blood packs.

Every time I feel like replaying the game with a goofy-fun build remembering that last third stays my hand. I know I can just mod the hell out of the game, but I don't know...

ALWAYS no-clip through the sewers.
ALWAYS Godmode Eldrich-Horror Vampire lady

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just flamethrower her, she literally melts. Still terrible of course.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
If you intentionally take the Bad End you get to avoid most of the game's weak spots and still technically complete the game.

Alternatively just replay Act 1 because all the best content is super frontloaded anyway.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For Prey's big twists, I sorta saw them coming. The simulation one because that's... actually, that's probably supposed to be an obvious twist to hopefully hide the other twist. But the second twist I kinda saw coming just because "the protagonist is secretly one of the monsters/killer robots/sleeper agents" is a fairly common twist in sci-fi media. I mean, I was hoping that it was going to turn out that one of the other characters was actually the experiment gone wrong, but I was kinda expecting it once the PC starts being affected by the coral.

So I guess my "things dragging games down" is just using plot twists in unimaginative ways.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just flamethrower her, she literally melts. Still terrible of course.

Its been a while, but I could have swore I was going at her with a flamethrower and it still wasn't doing the job. Though maybe that was my first run and I hadn't specced into it?

What I wouldn't give for Obsidian to do a Vampire game ala Alpha Protocol. :allears:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Drunken Baker posted:

Its been a while, but I could have swore I was going at her with a flamethrower and it still wasn't doing the job. Though maybe that was my first run and I hadn't specced into it?

What I wouldn't give for Obsidian to do a Vampire game ala Alpha Protocol. :allears:

Mafia III but its vampires and werewolves.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All I know about Mafia III is that the plot is front-loaded at the start, and the rest of the game is the grind from Assassin's Creed 1.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Futuresight posted:

Prey ending spoilers when they pull the plug on the simulation Alex says "We failed. This isn't the one" and the lady says "start over". Which completely spoils the fact that you are not Morgan, that you are at the very most a clone or some construct being fed the simulation. I actually thought they were trying to recreate you and the simulation was a way of confirming they copied you properly, so I still had the typhon twist when I got the real ending,
but this ending explicitly told me I was in a simulation and was not actually Morgan. It should have just cut out after the simulation Alex said he'd never have guessed you would just run away.

Well put. Who wants to play "it was all a dream" anyway. You know, that ending that english teachers will give middle schoolers D's for writing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

All I know about Mafia III is that the plot is front-loaded at the start, and the rest of the game is the grind from Assassin's Creed 1.

I meant the Era. Or maybe closer to the Prohibition?

Anything with a Mafia Underworld.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Well put. Who wants to play "it was all a dream" anyway. You know, that ending that english teachers will give middle schoolers D's for writing.

Technically, and I am only making this case because 99.9% of Prey is spectacular, it wasn't all a dream. There was a Talos I, there was a Morgan Yu, there was a Typhoon outbreak, but it obviously didn't end very well. You play through the simulation not to achieve a better outcome, but to achieve humanity.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, here I was thinking the thing dragging Prey down was how boring the enemies are outside of mimics. Mimics were cool and interesting, especially in the early game when they were a threat. Every other enemy was one bland FPS cliche after another.

I also prefer combat in which enemies and the player character die quickly, so Prey's bullet sponges always felt more like a pains in the rear end to slog through rather than actual threats. Having to avoid enemies because they're deadly and can gently caress you up is good. Having to avoid enemies because they're boring to interact with is not.

I've been playing Seven: Days Long Gone lately. It's a really fun post-apocalyptic, techno-futuristic action/stealth/parkour RPG in which you play a thief dropped off on a prison island for ~*mysterious reasons, ooo*~. Running around the island is really fun and the setting is interesting. The thing dragging it down is the map's UI.

Most quests don't give you the exact location of a target, instead appearing as a grey or blue circle, depending on whether or not the quest is your active quest. Hovering your mouse over any element on the map brings up a label with a small description, including the quest name when hovering over an exact quest location. The grey or blue circles, however, don't have a hover state. In order to figure out which quest they are for, you need to switch back and forth from the quest log and the map until the circle you want to investigate turns blue.

The other, bigger problem with the map is that the game has an incredible amount of vertical motion; climbing over and on top of things is one of the chief ways of getting around and literally getting the drop on enemies. The map, though, is entirely two dimensional, and doesn't represent changes in elevation at all. This leads to a lot of wandering around gorges to figure out how to cross them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay but the thing about prey's twist ending is it's perfect in every way (except the escape pod which I also don't get and is maybe just an indication that the devs didn't want the 'twist' to be a super twist and put in a few heavy handed hints).

It's not about that it was all a dream or anything. It's not about that you aren't the real morgan and are instead an alien. Narratively its about that but it isn't really. What it's really trying to do is to make you reflect on how you the player interacted with the game. It's using this unthinking unempathetic alien as allegory for you, because that is how many people play video games. You probably don't consider those pixels on the screen to be actual thinking people with feelings who would be hurt if you killed them. Look at how people play elder scrolls games. It's using this allegory to make you examine yourself and ask why you really did do all those things, and there isn't really a wrong answer.

Everything sets this up, the trolley problems, push the fat man, the robots in the post-credits scene who question your motives for everything. Did you kill all the passengers because you wanted to contain the aliens or did you simply enjoy snuffing out this non-life that you are empathetically unable to recognize (like the aliens). The game can't answer this question with metrics because YOU, the player, are the only one who can really decide that. You can bring whatever your own reasoning is to each and every decision. January is used to make this obvious when he questions why you are doing good things even when the ultimate motive is to blow up the space station. The post credits scene isn't some dumb 'it was all a dream' twist it reframes the entire game's narrative to be about YOU and YOUR interaction with the game, and not the character morgan yu or the unnamed alien in the simulation. Allegory.

So when the game asks you to shake Alex's hand or kill them all it's supposed to be the one decision you make under your own lens of self scrutiny. Why did you do it? If you're just playing a game and they aren't real then kill them all why not.
Or are you willingly pretending to empathize with the game? Or are they actually in some weird sense of the word real? The ending wants you to sit and think for a few minutes before choosing one or the other and I'd be willing to bet most people just picked immediately and then went on the internet and talked about how dumb the twist was.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Mar 9, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bayonetta's Route 666 was weird and a bit annoying - you need to steer the motorcycle by tilting the WiiU controller which is an annoying gimmick that barely worked in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and the boss of the level is annoying as hell because it's one of the fights in constant witch time so you get no leeway, and often dodging one guy dodges right into another guy.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
One thing I didn't really like about Prey's writing is "Push the Fat Man" being worked into the story. By the time the Fat Man is available to be Pushed, the trolley has already run over everyone, and one vengeful killing won't do anything.

I really liked the "Blow up the shuttle?" sidequest for its writing, the explicit lack of reward/punishment and conclusion, that all felt very real and well done.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Agent355 posted:

Okay but the thing about prey's twist ending is it's perfect in every way (except the escape pod which I also don't get and is maybe just an indication that the devs didn't want the 'twist' to be a super twist and put in a few heavy handed hints).

It's not about that it was all a dream or anything. It's not about that you aren't the real morgan and are instead an alien. Narratively its about that but it isn't really. What it's really trying to do is to make you reflect on how you the player interacted with the game. It's using this unthinking unempathetic alien as allegory for you, because that is how many people play video games. You probably don't consider those pixels on the screen to be actual thinking people with feelings who would be hurt if you killed them. Look at how people play elder scrolls games. It's using this allegory to make you examine yourself and ask why you really did do all those things, and there isn't really a wrong answer.

Everything sets this up, the trolley problems, push the fat man, the robots in the post-credits scene who question your motives for everything. Did you kill all the passengers because you wanted to contain the aliens or did you simply enjoy snuffing out this non-life that you are empathetically unable to recognize (like the aliens). The game can't answer this question with metrics because YOU, the player, are the only one who can really decide that. You can bring whatever your own reasoning is to each and every decision. January is used to make this obvious when he questions why you are doing good things even when the ultimate motive is to blow up the space station. The post credits scene isn't some dumb 'it was all a dream' twist it reframes the entire game's narrative to be about YOU and YOUR interaction with the game, and not the character morgan yu or the unnamed alien in the simulation. Allegory.

So when the game asks you to shake Alex's hand or kill them all it's supposed to be the one decision you make under your own lens of self scrutiny. Why did you do it? If you're just playing a game and they aren't real then kill them all why not.
Or are you willingly pretending to empathize with the game? Or are they actually in some weird sense of the word real? The ending wants you to sit and think for a few minutes before choosing one or the other and I'd be willing to bet most people just picked immediately and then went on the internet and talked about how dumb the twist was.

This. I really quite liked the ending.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Bayonetta's Route 666 was weird and a bit annoying - you need to steer the motorcycle by tilting the WiiU controller which is an annoying gimmick that barely worked in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and the boss of the level is annoying as hell because it's one of the fights in constant witch time so you get no leeway, and often dodging one guy dodges right into another guy.

Jesus you're actually playing with the wiiu gamepad? How?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have the WiiU version of the game, and no classic controller. Wanna talk terrible usage of the WiiU motion controls? Lego City Undercover has you scan for missing collectibles and targets and poo poo by holding the tablet up to the screen so that it overlaps and going into first person like that. It makes me feel like that scene in the 2004 Punisher movie where he straps the trigger to the bomb to Howard's son's hand and makes him hold it at arms length, with the idea being that his arm will tire, drop the trigger and kill him.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BioEnchanted posted:

I have the WiiU version of the game, and no classic controller. Wanna talk terrible usage of the WiiU motion controls? Lego City Undercover has you scan for missing collectibles and targets and poo poo by holding the tablet up to the screen so that it overlaps and going into first person like that. It makes me feel like that scene in the 2004 Punisher movie where he straps the trigger to the bomb to Howard's son's hand and makes him hold it at arms length, with the idea being that his arm will tire, drop the trigger and kill him.

I liked that. And also in ZombiU. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was interesting, but holding the WiiU tablet up to scour the city eventually got physically exhausting. At that point it stopped being novel and just became a pain.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Any game I can't play with my controller sitting on my bloated stomach, my whole body limp and beginning to atrophy away, is bad.

Edit: I really do hate movement control gimmicks and why I didn't see as much mileage out of my Wii I would have like.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Mar 9, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

God drat M. Bison in Street Fighter Alpha 3. I can clown on you in every other game, why are you so hard here?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

World Famous W posted:

Any game I can't play with my controller sitting on my bloated stomach, my whole body limp and beginning to atrophy away, is bad.

Edit: I really do hate movement control gimmicks and why I didn't see as much mileage out of my Wii I would have like.

The shrines in Breath of the Wild I hate most are the motion control ones. The golf club ones in particular are a nightmare.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Bayonetta's vehicle levels are tedious and way too long.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I liked that. And also in ZombiU. :(

ZombiU was such a good idea. It's a shame everyone forgot that the WiiU tablet could actually be cool and good.

The multiplayer in that game was so fun. One person was a human trying to survive/capture the flag. The other was the zombie master who looked over the field and would spawn zombies that would go after the player or the flag. And you had a certain limit of zombies on the field at once.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I found the WiiU tablet kind of off putting at first, (Though more comfortable to hold than the switch in my opinion) but some games really did do a great job with it. Overall I like the tablet gimmick a lot more than the general Wii and Joycon style motion control stuff, which has dragged down many a game.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions was kind of a mixed bag, but I really liked how it would use the tablet screen to send/receive text messages while you played. I actually think it did that better than Persona 5 did, I wish more of the text message banter in P5 had been unrelated to the plot. Just getting texts from your characters periodically was a neat way to make the world feel more lively. I feel like there was a lot of neat design space for the tablet that never got explored.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish Thief wasn't so bad that I deleted it, because its hub-level was such a neat idea. You got an urban-environment where you can do odd-jobs between major missions, and it feels so liberating to quest around a place close to real-life. Deus Ex's Prague and South Park from The Stick of Truth scratch that itch. The problem with Thief, well one of the problems, is that they released the game on 7th-gen hardware instead of solely 8th-gen hardware. Thus you have level transitions everywhere, with set-pieces having to fit in shoe-boxes .It's not really riveting to get a quest to burgle a house, if the house consists of one room with no enemies in it except the through two loading-screens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

ZombiU was such a good idea. It's a shame everyone forgot that the WiiU tablet could actually be cool and good.

The multiplayer in that game was so fun. One person was a human trying to survive/capture the flag. The other was the zombie master who looked over the field and would spawn zombies that would go after the player or the flag. And you had a certain limit of zombies on the field at once.

I bought it for my PS4 since the rerelease was on sale and liked it a lot. Zombie poo poo is overplayed but it was genuinely creepy and tense.

I’m not too fond of motion control aiming on the 3DS N64 Zelda remakes. I prefer to aim the old fashioned way but if the DS moves at all while I’m doing that I go off target. Cool concept, but it doesn’t really improve on what was already there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought it for my PS4 since the rerelease was on sale and liked it a lot. Zombie poo poo is overplayed but it was genuinely creepy and tense.

I’m not too fond of motion control aiming on the 3DS N64 Zelda remakes. I prefer to aim the old fashioned way but if the DS moves at all while I’m doing that I go off target. Cool concept, but it doesn’t really improve on what was already there.

I haven't tried it on the PS4. How did they handle searching bags? On the wiiU the top screen just looked down into the bag while you did item management on the tablet to simulate having to look away from the zombies out to eat you

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

I haven't tried it on the PS4. How did they handle searching bags? On the wiiU the top screen just looked down into the bag while you did item management on the tablet to simulate having to look away from the zombies out to eat you

That had to be replaced with a standard item management screen that takes up most of the view, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just finally bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne in January and 2 months later the game is free for Ps plus members.