Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr Enderby posted:

I guess. But to me there's something a bit youtube sword channel about that sort of argument. Putting horns, wings, crests, spikes and all manner of other gaudy bullshit on helmets has been going on forever. Soldiers in the Liberian civil war fought in floor length wedding dresses, which seems pretty impractical. You can't reason out something as layered with symbolism and tradition as military equipment from first principles. Culture isn't always pragmatic.

The argument against showing vikings with horns on their helmets is that there is no archaeological or textual evidence that they wore them.

However the wedding dress guys were an exception, not the rule. Humans will always do dumbass poo poo, so a dude putting horns on is helmet and then getting wrenched to the ground by a guy just swinging a spear at him is totally possible. That guy also probably did not live as long as some of his less dumb buddies. When armor was designed, its pretty rare to find battlefield stuff with ornamentation that creates a weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
To amuse myself I imagine western european powers fighting a mainland war in 1820-30 when all the uniforms went maximum dandy.

Entire companies of men dropping their muskets unable to pick them up because their coatees are too tight, light infantry tripping over because their tar bucket inverted style bell shako keep over balancing and sliding down over their eyes and unable to get up because their breeches cut off their circulation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Humans will always do dumbass poo poo, so a dude putting horns on is helmet and then getting wrenched to the ground by a guy just swinging a spear at him is totally possible. That guy also probably did not live as long as some of his less dumb buddies.

"Well, we did warn him not to go out in that ridiculous helmet, but he did insist."
"Yeah, had it coming to him really."
"Boss, what should we do with the helmet? It fell off and it's just lying out there."
"Let it be taken in and given a prominent place in our feasting hall as a permanent warning to anyone else who might think of wearing something so idiotic into battle."

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr Enderby posted:

I guess. But to me there's something a bit youtube sword channel about that sort of argument. Putting horns, wings, crests, spikes and all manner of other gaudy bullshit on helmets has been going on forever. Soldiers in the Liberian civil war fought in floor length wedding dresses, which seems pretty impractical. You can't reason out something as layered with symbolism and tradition as military equipment from first principles. Culture isn't always pragmatic.

The argument against showing vikings with horns on their helmets is that there is no archaeological or textual evidence that they wore them.

Obviously I don't know much about this, but I feel like looking at, say, the armor knights and crusaders wore during the 11th and 12th centuries they're pretty no nonsense and pragmatic, and most armor is like that in general. With your stereotypical extravagant looking piece of kit like the Waterloo Helmet, or that Monstrosity built for Henry VIII historians always seem quick to point out that it wasn't used in any real combat capacity.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Weren't high ranking samurai stereotypically mounted archers? So maybe the awkwardness of those helmets are not usually that relevant for them? In contrast with your average viking who fights in the shield wall, and who needs to spend a lot of time in the cramped confines of a boat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Remember these high ranking Samurai had big rear end parties of retainers always with them, if they needed to get stuck in I imagine they'd quickly toss the fearsome ceremonial helmet to one and be handed something a bit more practical.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Lot of basic bitches in this thread.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fangz posted:

Weren't high ranking samurai stereotypically mounted archers? So maybe the awkwardness of those helmets are not usually that relevant for them? In contrast with your average viking who fights in the shield wall, and who needs to spend a lot of time in the cramped confines of a boat.

yes and no, samurai did all kinda of stuff. They were indeed primarily mounted in many periods but that changes. And as was said above, a lot of the more elaborate ones that were worn into battle were made of paper-mache that was lacquered, so a sword blow will just destroy it and then hit the solid steel helmet. in the Edo period you see really elaborate steel ones, but that is after the wars and during a time of peace.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Friday 9th March, 1945

Much food consumed in a little time that was the order of the day and our mess responds nobly. Due to shortage of fuel most of the food & meat has to be eaten cold and all wood reserved for brews boiled on a chippy stove.

The ‘goons’ are reluctant to issue a farther parcel before a week has elapsed and the G/C is agitating to get another immediate issue. We voluntarily contributed 20 cigs per man to the Norwegians who received the gift gracefully. Everyone has a great admiration & respect for these chaps.

Many raids to the S.W in the night. Nattered to Graham up till Midnt. And heard fellows heaving their hearts up in the night about.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Fangz posted:

Depends on era. The Japanese kept the same terminology throughout so their military development looks flatter than it does in Europe, but what samurai did changed constantly. Plus the term samurai itself was much more about social class that battlefield role, in a way even knight wasn't in the West.

Speaking in extremely general terms, the original bushi of the Heian period were predominantly mounted archers, a role that gradually became more like the Western concept of the cataphract. By the Sengoku jidai, the stereotypical samurai is usually heavy cavalry or heavy infantry - analogous to knights and huscarls in some ways. Once Oda Nobunaga began to really organize large units of matchlock armed troops, he was recruiting lower ranked samurai, at least initially. Especially during the Sengoku jidai and the wars of unification, any professional combatant was pretty much going to be identified as a samurai, regardless of the origin or battlefield role.

Once you get into the Tokugawa shogunate, samurai really lose a lot of their military function. During the Meiji restoration samurai combat was typically between small groups of unarmored fencers, similar to the kind of street fights between rapier armed combatants in Renaissance Europe. The old armor and weapons get broken out occasionally, such as at Shiroyama, and there were always samurai families that worked to keep the old traditions and skills alive and kept the military role, but it had really become atypical.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Enderby posted:

Lot of basic bitches in this thread.

Bring Back the Zouaves

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
When and why did the Samurai become so associated with being heavily armoured footsoldiers using a Katana? I always find it kind of interesting the way we associate certain periods with very specific types of soldier like the the plate armored mounted knight with a lance and sword or Roman Legionary with a Gladius, Scutum and Lorica segmentata.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

khwarezm posted:

When and why did the Samurai become so associated with being heavily armoured footsoldiers using a Katana? I always find it kind of interesting the way we associate certain periods with very specific types of soldier like the the plate armored mounted knight with a lance and sword or Roman Legionary with a Gladius, Scutum and Lorica segmentata.

Probably the Imperial Japan era cultivating the myth of bushido and samurai spirit that never really existed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

khwarezm posted:

If I recall correctly, the katana bit specifically is because after the Sengoku Jidai, swords became the explicit symbol of the samurai class in that non-samurai were no longer permitted to wear swords, while samurai were expected to have their swords on them at all times (this was intended as a method of social control to prevent more civil wars from breaking out in the future). Since in peacetime there's not too much use for actual warfighting weapons like pikes and muskets, swords ended up becoming associated with the samurai class and went through the whole fetishization of bushido during the peacetime Edo period where samurai who were bureaucrats spent a lot of time trying to justify their special status as a warrior class when there were no wars to fight.

I wouldn't have said that the heavily armored bit was explicitly fundamental to the popular image of a samurai, though - look at Kurosawa films, for instance. Armor is just what you wear if you expect serious fighting to be done, same as it is elsewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm thinking about how to frame this question, but was Japanese warfare/tactics/military culture especially unique? Seems like we (and I don't mean the thread I mean like the internet in general) spend a lot of time talking about the military of a very small and isolated nation while ignoring military history from like China and sub-saharan Africa. Is that just weeaboo tunnel vision or did Japan's relative isolation and insularity lead to some kind of one-off military culture that doesn't really have analogues in other Eurasian cultures?

Cythereal posted:

Probably the Imperial Japan era cultivating the myth of bushido and samurai spirit that never really existed.

Or is it this?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cythereal posted:

This is a big part of it, but during the Sengoku jidai a lot of samurai did fight as heavy armored infantry. Most used spears and other polearms as their primary weapon, but as in the west the sword was a ubiquitous backup and routinely saw heavy use. That's also a period that features prominently in Japanese media. Which makes sense - it's historically important, and a time when a lot of big dramatic things were happening. The majority of Japanese historical dramas are either set then, or during the Meiji restoration.

The other contributing factors are the Satsuma Rebellion and the Boshin War. The rebellious samurai in both conflicts often broke out the old heavy armor, both because it was still useful (same as the cuirassier in Europe) and as a political statement. By that time though many of those samurai would have had a lot more experience and comfort with a sword than any other weapon - which is not at all to say they were all masters, but having a couple fencing classes under your belt and maybe a youthful duel at least gives you a leg up compared to having not used a yari or naginata at all.

So the most recent cultural experience of armored samurai would have involved them fighting on foot with swords just out of practical concerns. An experience reinforced by the fact photography had recently reached Japan, leaving a large collection of photographs of armored bushi prominently brandishing katana. The impact of seeing a living, breathing person captured on film that way can make a much bigger impression than rarer, centuries old paintings and sketches of historical battles. That cultural image then gets projected back onto the Sengoku jidai and reinforced with every new piece of media that returns to it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

zoux posted:

Or is it this?

This is speculation on my part more than anything backed by research, but if an entire modern state is carrying out massive, organized suicide attacks and claiming that by doing so they were upholding an unbroken centuries-old tradition, you probably end up wanting to find out more about this ancient-yet-modern tradition. Plus they just look visually interesting.

Social history might have something to do with it, too - China has traditionally had a lingering cultural distaste for their military, and in the Communist period weren't terribly keen on glorifying the wars of ancient imperialists, preferring to focus instead on their heroic resistance against the Japanese and the Nationalists during WW2. Besides, as far as pop culture goes the Chinese prefer to focus much more on fancy wuxia kung fu heroes than the actual military...possibly because, again, it's more visually interesting.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 8/9th Mar 1918 posted:

The following is a copy of the Battle Diary :-

6.05 pm Major Russell reports situation well in hand in Joppa Jericho system.
5.30 pm Smoke Barrage across square J.15.a to N.W. of valley.
5.45 pm S.O.S. Brigade on the left
C.O. Left Centre Coy reports moving to reinforce Cameron House.
5.50 pm C.O. Left Centre Coy reports moving to reinforce Right.
5.55 pm Ordered S.O.S. on our front
6.45 pm S.O.S. on our front
7.15 pm Enemy reported in Joppa (Capt. Huntington, 10th R.F.)
7.20 pm Enemy reported in Joppa and Jericho
6.38 pm F.O.O. reports quiet on left. Simultaneously reported our guns short, especially shrapnel. guns told to hot up and lengthen.
6.52 pm Capt. Thorne reports all batteries informed re lengthening range.
7.05 pm Heavies warned about shorts
7.27 pm Orders issued to half Company, 10th R.F. to move up with bombs to help K.R.R.C. as Huns reported in Joppa. Machine Guns hotting up.
7.30 pm guns to be informed that Hun is in Jericho.
7.35 pm Whole Company of 10th R.F. ordered to move from JARGON
7.40 pm Guns still going at lesser rate
7.45 pm Enemy reported to have come in from the REUTELBEEK. Have arranged for 2 machine guns to fire up the valley and below the 16
7.55 pm Nonne Boschen Coy moving to JARGON
8.40 pm Left Coy - O.K.
9.00 pm Lt. Turnbull, 13th R.B. reported at GLENCORSE with A. Coy 30, B. Coy 25, D. Coy 70. approx 150. 4 Lewis Guns sent to Nonneboschen.
8.40 pm O.C. B Coy ordered to cooperate by increasing harrassing file on enemy communications in enfilade.
9.45 pm Jericho still holding. Major Russell in command.
10.00 pm Patrol ordered to cross Reutelbeek. Ensure no enemy between Right and Left Centre Coys and to harrass his communications.
10.15 pm Rum ration and S.O.S. Signals sent up to left Group.
10.30 pm C.O. Left Coy ordered to send an officer to get in touch with O.C. Left Centre Coy and confirm orders re patrol.
10.30 pm 20 men to carry 2 boxes each of Bombs to Chateau and then Front Line.
11.15 pm Major dorkin D 125 reports he has three 18 pdrs and one 5.4 How and 1 heavy on POLDERHOEK CHATEAU. On line J.22.a.95.90 - J.16.c.95.50.
11.20 pm D Coy 13th R.B. in position 5 Offrs and 60 other ranks.

The following is the Commanding Officer's report of the Battle.

To the G.O.C. 111th Infantry Brigade.
Report on the Operations March 8th and Night March 8th/9th, 1918.
The enemy started a bombardment of our System at 7.30 a.m. 8th March. The commencement was gradual and not out of the ordinary, but from 10 a.m. onwards it increased in intensity.
Telephone line with JOPPA-JERICHO system went dis at 10.45 a.m.
At 12 noon approx. JOPPA dugout was staved in and nearly all the Officers wounded or severely shaken. CAPTAIN NORRIS severely crushed (since died of wounds).
On receipt of this information I ordered Major RUSSELL and 2nd Lieut. Marshall to proceed forthwith to the Front Line. The M.O. Captain RUTHERFORD accompanied them. The System was under a heavy fire when Major Russell and his party arrived.
He found 2nd Lieuts English and Hanley badley shaken and 2nd Lieut Hay vrushed and shaken.
Captain SETON-KARR was wounded in the head but gallantly carrying on. He was of great use to Major RUSSELL as he did not know the ground. Captain SETON-KARR gave him an excellent description of the position.

The report now continues in MAJOR RUSSELL'S Narrative.
"I put 2nd Lieut MARSHALL on command of C.Coy and we set to work at once to have rifles and Lewis Guns cleared and made usable. The latter had all been more or less buried and the former were so full of grit that the bolt could with difficult be opened. 2nd LIEUTS HAY & HANLEY pulled themselves together and did excellent work in this respect.
As far as could be ascertained the casualties in these two Companies amounted to 40 and in view of the continued shelling I asked at 4 p.m. for a further 50 men.
Prior to this owing to the casualties in Officers and Men and the importance of garrisoning the system, G.O.C. had ordered me to move up one Company of the 10th R.F. to reinforce the Garrison.
The trenches were so blown in that it took some time to ascertain what trench stores were available. SAA was sufficient, but bombs scattered, scarcely a Very Light and only 1 S.O.S. rocket left.
About 3.30 p.m. CAPT SETON-KARR was looking so ill that I sent him down and placed 2nd Lieut MARSHALL in command of the two Companies which were formed into one Composite Company.
CAPTAIN TANNER with Coy 10th R.F. arrived about 4 p.m. and I decided to put the K.R.R.C on the right where the attack was most expected and to give CAPTAIN TANNER 10th R.F. the left, which he had previously held when in the Line.
The arrival of this Company at so early an hour was very convenient, as it allowed of all arrangements being made before dark. The Trench, however, was so broken that all posts on JOPPA side could bot be reached till dark.
At dusk, a smoke barrage was put down on our Left Front along the course of the REUTELBEEK and at about 5.55 p.m. under this the Germans advanced and established themselves in the JOPPA end of the System and about 200 yds along the DUCKBOARD Support Trench, and a little way in the FRONT LINE. They were also on the REUTELBEEK behind our system and penetrated into the open between our front line and support trench. The Smoke Cloud effectively concealed the German advance and the Lewis Guns could not play upon them owing to the fold in the ground under which they advanced.
It was difficult at first to be certain that the Germans were actually in our lines but I pushed along the support trench with some men and a few bombs and saw a couple of them who called upon us "Hands Up". I then organised a Bombing Party with 2nd Lieut Marshall's help under Sergeant Smith and tried to rush the enemy out with six bayonet riflemen in the trench and two riflemen on either flank. Our Bomb supply was insufficient and the Germans had a M.G. which knocked out the men on the top and we had to be content with maintaining our blocks until more bombs came up. I also put out a Lewis Gun at the back of SMART SUPPORT to fire North and a line of Snipers from SMART SUPPORT to front line to prevent the enemy penetration. I had already instructed 2nd LIEUT MARSHALL to put out six riflemen in pairs on our front at dusk for moral effect and for any sniping or stalking that could be done.
2nd Lieut MARSHALL had put out his posts round JERICHO which had previously had to be evacuated and another beyond. Both he and CAPTAIN TANNER showed themselves to be very competent.
About 9.30 p.m. Capt. BAMBRIDGE'S (10th R.F.) Company arrived with bombs and I arranged with them for an immediate counter attack on SMART SUPPORT.
Two of his Platoons which he had left outside the trench were to demonstrate and draw fire while another Platoon working across from just beyond No. 5 Post in the Front Line were to rush the Trench. The rushing party was to await the demonstration. The attack did not develop and after waiting nearly 3 hours I sent up to search for Capt. BAMBRIDGE'S party and they were found just starting.
Shortly afterwards the Officer leading the party from near No. 5 post, pushed into the trench beyond I thing where the Bosche were holding it. They got into the Trench without opposition but had I think been observed going across the open and were ejected by Germans attacking over the top. The Officer who led the attack very well was wounded through the thigh.
The K.R.R. numbers were now down to about 65 (?) The R.F. had only lost about 6.
I now arranged about 2.30 a.m. with CAPT. BAMBRIDGE and CAPT PENFOLD, 10th R.F. whose Company had just arrived, for a simultaneous attack down SMART SUPPORT and to Front Line. The signal to be the firing of two Very Lights. The Officer in the Front Line had not completed his plans when the enemy began to press him so the Very Lights were sent off and the attack started. Both attacks were partially successful. The enemy was thrown back about 70 yds in each case and we recovered the junction of SMART SUPPORT and the DUCKBOARD TRENCH.
Whether we could attack again depended on the Bomb Supply. We found we had sufficient but it was by then past 5 a.m. Both CAPTAIN BAMBRIDGE and CAPTAIN GLANVILLE were against a Dawn Attack, preferring darkness.
I preferred a daylight attack.
Just after we had arranged all details MAJOR GRAVETT arrived from LT-COL. WATERS (10th R.F.) and urged that the enemy should be thrown out or that I should consider the advisability of withdrawing the whole force. I told him we must hope we would get him this time, but that apart from other reasons the nearness of daylight made any question of withdrawing while the Bosche held that portion of the system, out of the question.
The attack was successful, the Bosche was ousted leaving many dead in our hands. Two prisoners were taken but these died in the Front Line. On this news being received it was decided that COL. WATERS should go up to the system on arriving here to relieve the K.R.R.C.
CAPT. BAMBRIDGE showed great competence.
The two Lieutenants who made the attacks from and close to Front Line Trench were very good. The one who led the later attacks had a particularly difficult task as he had men from two Companies to lead,mostly not his own men and CAPTAIN PENFOLD was I think in a great degree responsible for the ousting of the Bosche in the final attack down JOPPA"
End of Major Russell's narrative.

The two companies of the K.R.R.C. north of the REUTELBEEK were not engaged. They patrolled to keep in touch with the situation in JOPPA system and at dawn Lewis Guns were posted out which sniped the enemy retiring from the JOPPA system.
Major RUSSELL handled the situation in the JERICHO-JOPPA system in a most able and gallant manner. I beg to forward "recommendations" later.

POSTSCRIPT
Throughout 8th March and Night 9/10th, the M.O. CAPT. RUTHERFORD did magnificent work in the JERICHO-JOPPA System.

This map is from the KRRC Chronicle 1918 (which I don't have a copy of, but now I'm eyeing a £40 copy on Abebooks...), apologies for the small size it's all that seems to be online. Original and annotated versions.

Trin has previously posted this link for a relevant trench map from December 1917 - http://maps.nls.uk/view/101464909. Here is a close up of squares 15, 16, 21 and 22, in the centre of square J at the bottom left of the full map.

Comparing the trench map and the map of the battle it's very obvious that the blue trenches under the word Polderhoek are the location of the battle, so for once we can pinpoint exactly where something was taking place.
If we use the overlay transparency functionality of the site with the trench map we find out exactly where it is in the modern day, and this gives a better sense of the scale of the trench system than any of the maps we've seen so far.

And finally a vew of the battle ground in the present day. This is looking North from just South of where JERICHO STREET meets SMART STREET.

Have a bonus - the 10th Royal Fusiliers' diary entry -

10th RF War Diary, 8/9th Mar 1918 posted:

A heavy bombardment of the JOPPA-JERICHO system of trenches was carried out by the enemy during the morning and at 2 p.m. the Battalion was ordered by the G.O.C. 111th Infantry Brigade to send up one Company into the JOPPA-JERICHO SYSTEM to reinforce the 13th K.R.R.C. who had sustained heavy casualties during the morning owing to the Enemy's bombardment.
No casualties were suffered by this Coy as it moved up to the POLDERHOEK TRACK, although the Enemy were putting down a fairly heavy barrage.
At 3.30 p.m. this Coy (D) took over the left of the line from POST 5 to POST 10, 1.5 Coys. 13th K.R.R.C. holding JERICHO and the right of the system; and B Coy. moved from NONNE BOSSCHEN (Right) to JARGON TUNNELS.
At 6 p.m. our Artillery opened heavy barrage fire in reply to S.O.S. signals on the left and right of our front. A few minutes later O.C.Bn. in the Line formed me that a Smoke Screen had been put down on our front.
At 6.10 p.m. Battalion H.Qrs were moved to GLENCORSE TUNNELS.
At about 7.15 p.m. it was reported to the O.C. 13th Bn. K.R.R.C. that the Enemy had made a partial lodgement in the line, and under orders from the G.O.C. Brigade half Coy. of the Coy. at JARGON TUNNELS was ordered up to reinforce FRONT LINE. Later this order was cancelled and the whole Coy. moved up at 7.40 p.m.
At 8.0 p.m. the Commanding Officer Lt.Col. J.D. Waters took over the Command of the Brigae Sector SOUTH of the REUTELBEEK and immediately ordered a Coy. who had moved from NONNE BOSSCHEN to JARGON TUNNELS to move up and assist B Coy. in making a Counter-attack.
In the meanwhile the situation in JOPPA-JERICHO was extremely obscure. All communication to Battalion H.Qrs. was cut and no message had been received from the Coys' in the FRONT LINE, but communication by telephone was maintained to SUPPORT Coy. H.Qrs. at J.14.d.56.47. Later Capt. TANNER the O.C. D Coy. who was wounded, got down there and spoke to me on the telephone. He informed me that the Enemy were holding the whole of JOPPA STREET and the FRONT LINE to a point about 50 or 60 yards North of No. 5 POST, with a Machine Gun about the junction of SMART SUPPORT and JOPPA STREET and one at JOPPA, and that there was an urgent need of Bombs. He had met Capt. BAMBRIDGE leading up B Coy. and had informed him of the situation. Previous to this A Coy. had been ordered to take up as many Bombs as possible, and in fact they took up 36 boxes.
Arrangements were then made for as large a supply of Bombs as possible to be got up to the FRONT LINE and established a forward Dump near the TOWER. The only men available at the time were the H.Qr. Details of the Battalion and these together with 20 of the H.Qrs. of 13th K.R.R.C. under 2/Lieuts. T. R. DESTER and R. SCOTT, 10th Bn ROYAL FUSILIERS made several journeys and carried up 2360 bombs under heavy artillery and machine gun fire.
Three attacks were made in the course of the night as follows:-

1. FIRST ATTACK:
A Bombing attack by B. Coy. in two parties up JOPPA STREET and down SMART SUPPORT. This attack failed principally owing to lack of Bombs. 2/Lieut. W.S. EDINGTON with no. 5 Platoon attacked the Enemy Machine Gun in rear from No. 5 POST whilst a Frontal Bombing attack was made up the Track by No. 6 Platoon under 2/Lieut. W. J. BURCH, M.C.
2/Lieut EDINGTON'S Party reached JOPPA STREET in rear of the Enemy Machine Gun and inflicted casualties but were unable to hold the junction of the 2 Trenches though an attempt was made to form a Block here. 2/Lieut. EDINGTON was here severely wounded. 2/Lieut. BURCH reached a point about 30 yards West of the junction of the TRACK and SMART SUPPORT but was unable to advance further through lack of Bombs. A Block was established here and Lewis Gun got into position.
At around 10.40 p.m. (exact time not noted) A Coy. arrived and with them more Bombs. Arrangements were then made for a second attack. By this time large supplies of Bombs had arrived.

2. SECOND ATTACK:
This attack was made by A and B Coys. the whole under the command of Capt. R.C. BAMBRIDGE, M.C. M.M. Three parties were to advance simultaneously. 2/Lieut H.C.B. SANDALL and 30 men of A Coy. to attack along the Post Line; 2/Lieut. W.G. CROOK and remainder of A Coy., less Lewis Guns, to attack along SMART SUPPORT, and 30 men of B. Coy. under 2/Lieuts. BURCH and E.E.NASH to attack up the DUCKBOARD TRACK. The signal for attack was 2 Very Lights fired together.
This attack was launched at about 12.15 a.m.
The Post Line Party were unable to advance but held their ground in spite of heavy bombing by the Enemy, and suffered casualties. At this point 2/Lieut. SANDALL was unfortuantely killed. 2/Lieut. BURCH succeeded in capturing the junction of TRACK and SMART SUPPORT and establishing a strong point there, and SMART SUPPORT was made good by the A Coy. Party. There were not yet sufficient bombs for a sustained attack so the attack could not be pressed on at this stage.
From this time onwards large supplies of Bombs and Very Lights arrived by means of the carrying parties from Bn. H.Qrs.

3. THIRD ATTACK:
It was decided to attack again at dawn. The plan was to make a bombing attack along JOPPA STREET, supported by LEWIS GUNS on each flank firing from SMART SUPPORT and No.10 POST, and at the same time bomb down the FRONT LINE. A big relay of men were secured and arrangements made for a constant stream of bombs to be passed up. The attack started simultaneously abd proceeded well from the start. Superiority of Bombing was soon obtained and good work was done by Snipers, on the parapet. Here 2/Lieut. CROOK was unfortuantely killed.
When the attacked reached JOPPA the Enemy began to run from the Trench towards the CHATEAU and large numbers were killed or wounded by our machine gun fire and rifle fire.
This attack was completely successful and at 6.45 a.m. all the Enemy was cleared of the trench system. The position was consolidated and Posts established in original positions.
At about 6.50 a.m. 2 split green lights and 1 red split light were put up from the neighbourhood of the CHATEAU.

The enemy entered the position immediately after an intense bombardment and under cover of a heavy smoke screen.
It was evident that he intended to occupy the position as the men had packs.
Our Field Artillery gave valuable assistance by maintaining a barrage fire along the whole front and putting up a heavy barrage on the point from which the enemy might receive reinforcements and supplies.
The 'Heavy' barrage was consistently short, shells falling continually in and around our trenches despite constant reports that were sent asking for the range to be lengthened.
The Coy/ and a half of the 13th K.R.R.C. did not take part in the Counter-attacks but successfully maintained the line from No.1 to No.4 POST.
Our casualities were:-
Killed - 2/Lieut H.C.B.SANDALL, 2/Lieut. W.G. CROOK and 11 O.R.
Wounded - 5 Officers and 47 O.R.
Unaccounted for - 3 O.R.

POINTS NOTED.
1. The Bomb is still a most valuable weapon in trench fighting and it is imperative to establish forward dumps to avoid a big carry.
2. When the enemy has made a partial lodgement in the trench system the impportance of sending forward to locate his exact position. The first Coy. proceeding up did not know whether the Enemy had possession of the whole trench system or only part of it. 2 Scouts Corpl. Scales and L/Cpl. Richard of C Coy. were sent forward and the latter was killed at very close range, as they almost walked into the enemy. With the information thus obtained the Coy. Commander was able to lead his Coy. by the best route.
3. The importance of sending back information frequently to enable the situation to be dealt with.
4. The lack of a larger number of Very Pistols was felt.
5. The presence of a Senior Artillery Liaison Officer with the Battalion Commander was a great assistance. It would be well if an Officer of the Heavy Artillery were also with the Battalion Commander or even with the Attacking Coys. to preven the constant short shooting.

By coincidence, while looking for the diary of the 10th R.F. I found a reference to the V.C. being won by Charles Graham Robertson of 10th R.F. during this battle.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I love when Chinese movies have very serious historical and political drama then it gets to a battle scene and it reverts to ridiculous wire fu with weapons and armor from eight different centuries.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm thinking about how to frame this question, but was Japanese warfare/tactics/military culture especially unique? Seems like we (and I don't mean the thread I mean like the internet in general) spend a lot of time talking about the military of a very small and isolated nation while ignoring military history from like China and sub-saharan Africa. Is that just weeaboo tunnel vision or did Japan's relative isolation and insularity lead to some kind of one-off military culture that doesn't really have analogues in other Eurasian cultures?

Or is it this?
A lot of it is just mystique and cultural osmosis. Japanese military culture is unique and interesting for that, but not intrinsically any more so than Chinese or Hellenic. And I do think some of it is just the visual effect - the samurai aesthetic really clicks across cultures. There are a lot of theories you can use to explain why, and whether this is something inherent or just learned, but it looks cool in a way that many people respond to.

However, there are a couple legit reasons Japanese military history gets a lot of prominence.

I keep referencing it, but the Sengoku jidai alone would ensure that. Like the Peloponnesian War, it's an extended period of intense conflict largely contained within a group of states with a shared culture and language, for which extensive records exist. In fact the participants on all sides of the conflicts kept records about almost everything, leaving few gaps. And even better, there was shockingly little post-conflict curation and revisionism of those records.

On top of which it was a time of nearly unprecedented hot-house military development. A bushi contemporary with Oda Nobunaga would have seen the Japanese version of the heavy cavalry charge invented, refined, and rendered obsolete within his lifetime. The change was happening so fast it can literally be tracked from one major battle to the next in sequence.

So even if there was nothing else increasing the prominence of Japanese culture, the Sengoku jidai was always going to attract disproportionate attention from military historians if only because there's so much there to see, and you can get at nearly all of it by learning one language and consulting a small set of archives and records. It's the academic version of looking for your keys under the streetlamp because that's where the light is.

There's also that we're only just out of living memory of the Meiji restoration, during which samurai fought each other, in earnest, with blades and in armor, the way humans fought for millenia but went away in the last few centuries. That's unique. They were really the last to do so. You don't need to assign any special qualities to Japanese military culture for that to be true - someone had to be last and it happened to be them. But it does mean that by far the most recent first-hand accounts of that way of war are from Japan, and there still exist living people you can go talk to who were told about it by people who had actually done it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 9, 2018

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

zoux posted:

Seems like we (and I don't mean the thread I mean like the internet in general) spend a lot of time talking about the military of a very small and isolated nation while ignoring military history from like China and sub-saharan Africa.

I don't know about the military aspect of this question, but I'd question the idea that Edo Japan was small or isolated. Japan it that period had a massive population, and was by any standard extremely wealthy. After China and the Mughal Empire, Japan was the most populous country. And Europeans were very aware of Japan. Augustus the Strong built a palace to hold his collection of Japanese porcelain. In the third book of Gulliver's Travels, he visits the fantastical worlds of Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib and Japan, and it's clear the reader is expected to know about the practice of fumi-e.

The Tokugawa Shogunate chose to greatly restrict Western access to Japan, but that restriction was entirely on their own terms. They were keen to learn as much Western science and medicine as they could. When Commadore Perry opened up Japan to unrestricted western trade in 1853 they were already working on building steam engines.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Best thing about late Tokugawa/early Meiji era Japanese military? the head gear. Would you like a christmas elf dunce cap, a Japanese version of a artificial fashion wig or a paper turtle shell on your head?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Best thing about late Tokugawa/early Meiji era Japanese military? the head gear. Would you like a christmas elf dunce cap, a Japanese version of a artificial fashion wig or a paper turtle shell on your head?
Not to mention the actual hair. Late Tokugawa samurai fashion was extra.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you were balding at the crown that the best time to be a Japanese dude.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

feedmegin posted:

Hey Guns is Orthodox IIRC so even weirder and older than Catholicism ;)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

zoux posted:

Bring Back the Zouaves

Rico Zouave

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Or is it this?

Personally I think it's just because it's one of the few non-European cultures that we can actually study in English combined with one of the few non-European cultures to challenge the West in the 20th century. There's shtiloads of amazing history in the places you mentioned, but there's significantly less interest in those places or political issues that get involved with studying their history. Lack of literature on India is the one that really throws me, the place was basically Thunderdome for two thousand years, but despite a significant English language presence I've only found scraps.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I remember reading some accounts of British officers during things like the conquest of Bengal and a thing that really caught me off guard was that they said that Indian warriors tended not to be very good at responding to thrusting attacks from British swords which was a big advantage for them, as if thrusting wasn't as common a part of sword fighting in India as it was in the west. It got me thinking, an awful lot of western swords seem to be well built for thrusting, and European culture tends to exaggerate and orientalise other cultures arms by making everything really curvy (think generic depictions of Arab or Indian warriors using nothing but Scimitars and Talwars, or the Katana being associated with pretty much all of East Asia somehow). Meanwhile Fencing is probably the most robust western martial art active these days. Again I don't really know anything about sword history or techniques so tell me if I have everything entirely wrong, and I know there's plenty of things like Falchions and such in European history and that most swords, regardless of where they originate, can do many things at once, but is there anything to the idea that thrusting techniques and weapons were given unusual emphasis in European society over the past millennia or so?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 9, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Japan is super interesting but the level of attention relished on it relative to other non-European cultures is super disproportionate and I think has spread a weird conception of it having been incredibly important--given an equal place relative to China in terms of attention in nearly every history/art history etc book--where for most of history it was a backwater. For instance:

Mr Enderby posted:

Augustus the Strong built a palace to hold his collection of Japanese porcelain.
Japanese porcelain, which at this point was steeped in barely a century of tradition! Japan had no native porcelain industry until they carted off tens of thousands of Korean artisans in the Imjin War at the end of the 16th century, whose descendants would still have been the ones making most of it at this point. But you wouldn't know any of that in the west, where we place Japanese porcelain right alongside Chinese in the popular consciousness.

Also things like this:

Mr Enderby posted:

After China and the Mughal Empire, Japan was the most populous country.
You're talking about the Edo period but this line of thinking goes right down history in most people's minds so you get Japan = China for attention we give to it in every book. Even in periods when China was split into a dozen different states, each of which was an order of magnitude more powerful than Japan and much wealthier too. Even Korea had a comparable population to Japan's right until the Edo period, and in earlier times an even higher (and wealthier) one. But because of what went down in the 19th and 20th centuries, China was always Japan's peer and Korea its doormat.

Honestly the worst part isn't really related to Japan at all, but the way we conceive of China as a country all through history is pretty stupid, when its level of disunity, cultural variation and so on was so much more on par with Europe as a whole. But in a textbook about say, the Middle Ages, since China is a country, and England is a country, let's give them the same amount of attention.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 9, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I mean we also have Roman culture stuff in the same museums with the Greek culture that it all is appropriated from...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Obviously I don't know much about this, but I feel like looking at, say, the armor knights and crusaders wore during the 11th and 12th centuries they're pretty no nonsense and pragmatic, and most armor is like that in general. With your stereotypical extravagant looking piece of kit like the Waterloo Helmet

you missed the best part of that page

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Nenonen posted:

I mean we also have Roman culture stuff in the same museums with the Greek culture that it all is appropriated from...

Yeah but you don't then get people going "wow those Greeks sure weren't original, look at how much their art copies the Romans". Honestly from my limited understanding Roman/Greek history has the opposite problem, of people thinking about things like e.g. the Roman pantheon as way more derived from Greek than they actually were.

To be sure Japan does have a very unique and interesting cultural/military etc history, and it was clearly distinct from the mainland in lots of ways--and even things like that Japanese porcelain did quickly evolve* to become its own thing--but the way for pretty much everything in the west we go "okay so here's the French, German, British, oh yeah and Japanese styles" as a way to not be Eurocentric or something while totally neglecting everywhere else in the world is pretty stupid. To answer the first question, no Japan was not that special.

*the way it evolved is actually pretty interesting; a lot of the Japanese porcelain that would have been sent on to European markets at the time was actually explicitly designed and made to appeal to European tastes, since the porcelain makers worked out that would sell better, rather than being more representative of what was actually popular in Japan at the time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
tbh I have never witnessed what you are describing. Japanese culture is more available in the west, for a number of reasons, but I only ever remember learning of Japan as a quick learning backwater.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koramei posted:

You're talking about the Edo period but this line of thinking goes right down history in most people's minds so you get Japan = China for attention we give to it in every book. Even in periods when China was split into a dozen different states, each of which was an order of magnitude more powerful than Japan and much wealthier too. Even Korea had a comparable population to Japan's right until the Edo period, and in earlier times an even higher (and wealthier) one. But because of what went down in the 19th and 20th centuries, China was always Japan's peer and Korea its doormat.

You say that, but from my experience Japanese history prior to the year 1000 might as well not exist in something like a pop history book and interest seems to almost entirely based on events starting with the failure of the Mongol invasions. In comparison China's unification, Han dynasty, Warring States, Tang Dynasty and it's own Mongol surprise get a lot more coverage, albeit probably not as much as they should get considering the country's importance.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Nenonen posted:

tbh I have never witnessed what you are describing. Japanese culture is more available in the west, for a number of reasons, but I only ever remember learning of Japan as a quick learning backwater.

Yeah, just to be clear, the received wisdom I was reacting to is the story in Western art history where Japanese art is discovered by the French in the second half of the 19th century, which is demonstrably untrue. Early modern Europeans were highly aware of Japan and wanted to get their greasy little mitts all over it is my point.

I'm definitely on-board with the idea that we overlook Chinese history, although if we're going down that route lets talk about Africa.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I really feel like India should get a lot more notoriety given the size and importance of the drat place, as it is I'd say it's more difficult to find out about the history of India looking at it from the west than it is for somewhere like the Middle East or China, and that's a great shame.

My Knowledge is like, there were those Indus valley guys, the Mauryan empire was a thing, after that I don't really know anything, there were these Cholas guys in the South I guess? Then you get to the Delhi Sultanate, and the Mughals and the Marathas and the Brits. That's about all I know, I could tell you way more about, like, China, or Iran or what is now Turkey than I could about the whole of India in it's thousands and thousands of years.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah maybe I'm overstating it on history, especially for the early stuff (pre-Nara there weren't any surviving written records) there's almost literally nothing to go on so it definitely skews more Chinese. But once you get into Feudal Japan and beyond I don't think that's the case so much, and for art/cultural history it's not at all. Random art history textbook for instance:

30 pages for early Chinese and Korean art, 20 for early Japanese art. There's as much on Japanese pre-recorded as there is on China through to the Han dynasty. This is also the period when Korean art owned & was the progenitor of a ton of that Japanese art. For post-1279 they both (China+Korea / Japan) get an exactly equal number of pages. Maybe there are a handful out there that treat it differently, but at least in English-language stuff I bet you could look at nearly any other textbook out there and it'd look the same.

Nenonen posted:

That's my experience when we learn about the Meiji restoration--we think of Japan as a backwater relative to the west. It's never framed that way compared to China though. Also aren't you Finnish? Everything I hear about your country's education system indicates that it knocks everyone else's out of the water.

Mr Enderby posted:

Yeah, just to be clear, the received wisdom I was reacting to is the story in Western art history where Japanese art is discovered by the French in the second half of the 19th century, which is demonstrably untrue. Early modern Europeans were highly aware of Japan and wanted to get their greasy little mitts all over it is my point.

I'm definitely on-board with the idea that we overlook Chinese history, although if we're going down that route lets talk about Africa.

Oh for sure, people way overstate Japanese isolationism in general; on the Japanese side European stuff made tons of inroads too. My favorite example is Hokusai's Great Wave, i.e. one of the most iconically Japanese images of all time, made at the height of isolationism, which uses newly imported Prussian blue ink for most of its composition.

For that matter, not that most people have much of a conception of Korean isolationism, but it wasn't nearly as cut off from outside ideas as people might think either. Around the early 19th century, there were a significant number of Korean Catholics, (enough for the government to decide to persecute them) but Korea hadn't had a single foreign missionary in centuries. These Catholics were actually self converts--a Korean scholar had got his hands on a bible during a tribute mission to China, and a bunch of people ended up converting just from that.

khwarezm posted:

I really feel like India should get a lot more notoriety given the size and importance of the drat place, as it is I'd say it's more difficult to find out about the history of India looking at it from the west than it is for somewhere like the Middle East or China, and that's a great shame.

My Knowledge is like, there were those Indus valley guys, the Mauryan empire was a thing, after that I don't really know anything, there were these Cholas guys in the South I guess? Then you get to the Delhi Sultanate, and the Mughals and the Marathas and the Brits. That's about all I know, I could tell you way more about, like, China, or Iran or what is now Turkey than I could about the whole of India in it's thousands and thousands of years.

Southeast Asia too; absolutely tons of people lived there and there were empires and massive trading networks and stuff, but people (myself included) know barely anything about it.

This is what's so odd about Japan; everything is still so Eurocentric even in academic circles, but Japan is often the weird exception, I guess because they westernized. I notice an odd number of very Eurocentric, borderline white-supremacist people who turn out to be weebs too, it's very strange. There's one in particular on the Paradox forums I've been observing lately who is super into Japanese history and seems to consider it on a higher plane relative to the rest of Asia, but when it comes time to compare it to Europe of course the Japanese don't compare.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 9, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I think part of that is coming from the perspective of art history, where Japan is absolutely over-represented. In part because it happened to get hooked into European artistic movements earlier, and mainstream art history is still shockingly euro-centric.

In historical subfields, Korea remains woefully under-served, but the China/Japan balance tends not to be nearly as out of whack. Coming from anthropology and particularly with a focus on the origins of complex societies, it's actually Japan's early development that doesn't get as much coverage as it probably should. China is meanwhile an increasingly important topic of its own, and in relation to everything else.

The subcontinent, on the other hand, is a massive and embarrassing blind spot for most historical fields outside of India.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You might be right. Art history really is horrifically Eurocentric; taking emphasis away from the Renaissance and mathematical perspective etc as the be all and end all of art (which used to sideline northern Europe too) is itself pretty new.

I'm definitely part of the problem for the Indian sub continent. Echoing Khwarezm, Indus -> ?? -> Maurya -> ???? -> whatever shows up in EU4, for which I know basically none of the actual historical context behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koramei posted:

This is what's so odd about Japan; everything is still so Eurocentric even in academic circles, but Japan is often the weird exception, I guess because they westernized. I notice an odd number of very Eurocentric, borderline white-supremacist people who turn out to be weebs too, it's very strange. There's one in particular on the Paradox forums I've been observing lately who is super into Japanese history and seems to consider it on a higher plane relative to the rest of Asia, but when it comes time to compare it to Europe of course the Japanese don't compare.

"Honorary Whites."

The Indian thing feels so strange since I try to be more widely informed these days, reading up on things like Ethiopian history and I think its interesting to look at Eurasian history in Generalized terms where you can see the importance of wide ranging groups of people like the Turks and the nomadic empires and how they relate to events in places like Europe and China at the time, but when you get to India, it's almost like it doesn't become part of the same Eurasian 'Unit' until the Muslim conquests in northern India, but that cannot really be the case considering how much importance trade through India had and it's cultural connections with places like Southeast Asia, as well as the fact that it appears to be well known far outside of India in Europe going way back. It's like it's an entirely disconnected continent except when it's not. That doesn't really make any sense but its hard for me to put my thoughts into words.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 9, 2018