Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Way I understand it is HYT is 22,but retirement is 20 still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I Am Not A PS, but you can usually extend a shore tour if you intend to separate prior to the minimum service requirement that another PCS would entail (i.e. they're not going to PCS you just to have you retire six months later). I don't know how far you can press that though, like if you were trying for two more years in your current tour.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I Am Not A PS, but you can usually extend a shore tour if you intend to separate prior to the minimum service requirement that another PCS would entail (i.e. they're not going to PCS you just to have you retire six months later). I don't know how far you can press that though, like if you were trying for two more years in your current tour.

As I understand it, you can extend a maximum of twice on an enlistment, for a maximum of 23 months, with no more than 12 months(?) on a single extension. Basically, if you need two more years do do something re-enlist for that. Obvs, you can't re-enlist past your 20, unless you don't have enough years of qualifying service for some reason (break in service, reserves), which is why HYT is 22.

If you have 20 years of qualifying service, you can retire. If you're an E-6 with 22 years of service and only 19 of them are qualified retirement years, then you can submit a HYT waiver. Or drill in the reserve VTU (volunteer training unit) where you show up in uniform, get retirement points, and don't get paid for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

As I understand it, you can extend a maximum of twice on an enlistment, for a maximum of 23 months, with no more than 12 months(?) on a single extension. Basically, if you need two more years do do something re-enlist for that. Obvs, you can't re-enlist past your 20, unless you don't have enough years of qualifying service for some reason (break in service, reserves), which is why HYT is 22.

If you have 20 years of qualifying service, you can retire. If you're an E-6 with 22 years of service and only 19 of them are qualified retirement years, then you can submit a HYT waiver. Or drill in the reserve VTU (volunteer training unit) where you show up in uniform, get retirement points, and don't get paid for it.

I had a senior chief finishing his years in VTU. Probably be my case too someday.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Retirement is still 20 years, regardless of HYT policy changes.

NAVADMIN 307/17 explains that minimum tour lengths are now matched to the OBLISERV (obligated service) required. Used to be TOS (time on station) 12 months minimum for sea duty, 24 for shore duty. Now you have to commit to the full 24/36/48 months or whatever to be able to transfer. Refusal or failure to OBLISERV prior to transfer results in separation. For those eligible to retire, they retire.

Extensions on an enlistment can only be done twice per enlistment, for a maximum aggregate of 23 months. The divide between the two doesn't matter (12 x 11, 3 x 20, 1 x 22 x 1, etc). Reasons to extend can be limited, normally to match EAOS to PRD. There are exceptions to policy available, but they're situational. This applies to AD. USNR rules are different.

Ask all of your random Navy personnel policy questions ITT.

Hail satan

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I'm supposedly going to be on a plane bound for Japan probably this time next week and still have no itinerary...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

I'm supposedly going to be on a plane bound for Japan probably this time next week and still have no itinerary...

I didn't have an itinerary until literally the day before I left.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m penciling in “eat bbq” to mine. Orders official, going to Texas for 3 days.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Retirement is still 20 years, regardless of HYT policy changes.

NAVADMIN 307/17 explains that minimum tour lengths are now matched to the OBLISERV (obligated service) required. Used to be TOS (time on station) 12 months minimum for sea duty, 24 for shore duty. Now you have to commit to the full 24/36/48 months or whatever to be able to transfer. Refusal or failure to OBLISERV prior to transfer results in separation. For those eligible to retire, they retire.

Extensions on an enlistment can only be done twice per enlistment, for a maximum aggregate of 23 months. The divide between the two doesn't matter (12 x 11, 3 x 20, 1 x 22 x 1, etc). Reasons to extend can be limited, normally to match EAOS to PRD. There are exceptions to policy available, but they're situational. This applies to AD. USNR rules are different.

Ask all of your random Navy personnel policy questions ITT.

Hail satan

DN's attention to detail are keeping with the highest standards of the United States Navy and bring great credit to the force :chiefsay:

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Relief.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Anyone ever fly between Bahrain and Naples? I don't imagine that's a super common transition but my team can't be the first. I'm putting together a trip this spring out to 5th and 6th fleets and the transition from Bahrain to Naples is looking super fun. Expedia and Kayak default you to switching planes in either Istanbul, Baghdad, Damascus, or Moscow. As fun as some of those would be for SF-86s, I'm thinking maybe Frankfurt or Paris? I'm free from the shackles of DTS so I can book however I want as long as its cheap economy and utilizing US carriers whenever possible (not really possible here).

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Othin posted:

Get the orders written to staff not ships company. NGA had one of their recent enlisted ship riders pulled out of MSI and put in supplot because the ship needed an extra watchstander.

Seconding this. You may still work for the same person, there are just administrative rules and long held customs that deter them from using you as a body in wherever their pet place is. Your quality of life will probably be at least somewhat better overall.

CMD598 posted:

In true Navy fashion I just got off a plane I didn't have a ticket for until 18 hours ago. I don't know why they do it that way, but, well, here we are.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Red Crown posted:

In true Navy fashion I just got off a plane I didn't have a ticket for until 18 hours ago. I don't know why they do it that way, but, well, here we are.

Travel office spent the last two months arguing about who was going to approve the orders.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

krispykremessuck posted:

Travel office spent the last two months arguing about who was going to approve the orders.

This is not a joke, for those wondering.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Othin posted:

Anyone ever fly between Bahrain and Naples? I don't imagine that's a super common transition but my team can't be the first. I'm putting together a trip this spring out to 5th and 6th fleets and the transition from Bahrain to Naples is looking super fun. Expedia and Kayak default you to switching planes in either Istanbul, Baghdad, Damascus, or Moscow. As fun as some of those would be for SF-86s, I'm thinking maybe Frankfurt or Paris? I'm free from the shackles of DTS so I can book however I want as long as its cheap economy and utilizing US carriers whenever possible (not really possible here).

I hit both of those ports one time on deployment.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I still don't have a ticket but I do have a memo telling me I'm gonna sit in SeaTac for like 15+hrs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CMD598 posted:

I still don't have a ticket but I do have a memo telling me I'm gonna sit in SeaTac for like 15+hrs.

You can buy a day pass for Alaska Lounges for $45: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/airport-lounge/day-pass

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CMD598 posted:

What day? I may be able to help you out a little.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CMD598 posted:

Just in case anyone wasn't aware:

1. The American Express Platinum card has an annual fee that is fully refundable for active duty service members. You just give them a call after you sign up and tell them the date you joined or something, I forget the exact process, but they refunded mine in like two weeks.

2. AMEX Platinum gets you free access to a whole slew of airport lounges around the country and around the world; there's an official AMEX Centurion lounge in several major airports that's pretty swanky (free food + booze), but you can also sign up for free Priority Pass access as well, which I note has a bunch of lounges in SeaTac. There are a bunch of other bonuses that the card allows access to, but honestly the airport lounge thing is what I use the most.

TL;DR everyone should get Amex Platinum and mooch a bunch of freebies.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

Seatac has a bitchin USO if you're not aware. Lots of couches to crash on, plenty of power outlets, loads of free food, big tvs, it's not a bad gig. I had to wait there for a couple hours when I was outprocessing, it was not bad at all.

Of course the 45 dollar alaskaair lounge is nice too, on the other hand almost 50 bucks. Depends on your priorities really.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 9, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Seatac has a bitchin USO if you're not aware. Lots of couches to crash on, plenty of power outlets, loads of free food, big tvs, it's not a bad gig. I had to wait there for a couple hours when I was outprocessing, it was not bad at all.

Of course the 45 dollar alaskaair lounge is nice too, on the other hand almost 50 bucks. Depends on your priorities really.

This is correct. Also has clean showers if you feel gross.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

If you’re stuck in SeaTac just dump your bags at the USO and take the train into Seattle. It’s like $2.Alternatively go into the city of SeaTac and get the clap.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

If you’re stuck in SeaTac just dump your bags at the USO and take the train into Seattle. It’s like $2.Alternatively go into the city of SeaTac and get the clap.

Hang out with me during the late summer to fall and you’ll get crabs for sure.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SeaTac is the nicest USO I've ever been in, just wish I could still use it now that I'm a dirty contractor.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Hang out with me during the late summer to fall and you’ll get crabs for sure.

NBK Bremerton PCS Primer and Welcome Aboard Package, "Gone Crabbin'"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

NBK Bremerton PCS Primer and Welcome Aboard Package, "Gone Crabbin'"

Please don’t encourage people to go to McClouds.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Please don’t encourage people to go to McClouds.

:getin:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
finally started a school, sonar stuff is fascinating so i'm excited

wish i could study outside of a secret clearance required building though

found out i'd likely be back in holds for another 6 months after a school while waiting for ops slots to open up

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Grats! San Diego?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Grats! San Diego?

yeh which, i mean, there's way worse places to be in holds so i'm pretty happy with the news

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Well since I now have an amc flight I decided to inquire about pet reservations. My PSs told me they totally asked me about this (They didn't) and it's too late now because of poo poo I've actually already done.

Also still don't have an itinerary.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

boy are my arms tired posted:

wish i could study outside of a secret clearance required building though

The fact that you will never ever be expected to take your work home with you is one of the few legit good deals about being in the military.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yes, optimisticly.

Realistically you’ll just never go home :smug:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CMD598 posted:

Well since I now have an amc flight I decided to inquire about pet reservations. My PSs told me they totally asked me about this (They didn't) and it's too late now because of poo poo I've actually already done.

Also still don't have an itinerary.

How many times have I told you your child isn't a pet???

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

maffew buildings posted:

How many times have I told you your child isn't a pet???

If it's got a SSN, it's a dependent, right?

Wait, are we talking dogs or kids, again? Foreign tax fraud is so complicated anymore.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CraigMWhitlock/status/973281880874323969

That was such a loving mess with Admiral Branch not having a clearance but still holding the position of DNI

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So that was actually why he lost his clearance?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CraigMWhitlock/status/973281880874323969

That was such a loving mess with Admiral Branch not having a clearance but still holding the position of DNI

quote:

Although the Navy cited Branch for four counts of misconduct, it does not appear that it imposed any penalties.

In a Sept. 8, 2017, memo, Adm. Philip S. Davidson — the commander assigned by the Navy to hand out discipline in the “Fat Leonard” scandal — stated that he “personally addressed” the matter with Branch “through administrative action.”

That is language the Navy typically uses when counseling a sailor not to do something again. A Navy spokesman declined to comment.

gently caress the Navy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Wouldn't want to ruin his career, he's got a family to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

gently caress the Navy.

All he did was get involved in one of the biggest scandals in a long time resulting in not being able to do the job he was appointed to do for 5 years while still getting paid.

I guess not being able to touch Intel is its own punishment?