Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like Apple solved the whole "crumbs getting inside a Macbook Pro keyboard" issue:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/9/17100594/apple-patent-dirt-debris-liquid-snacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Mac havers are some of the cleanest/dirtiest people I've met.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Please put my OCD at ease.

I unplugged my old macbook in bed the other night and my 60w charger cord (the old kind with a white rectangular tip and green light) proceeded to slide off the bed, with the magnet end landing directly in a glass of water I had on the floor. I fell asleep and found it the next morning, but the glass had a bunch of some kind of mineral dust at the bottom. I poured out the glass in my sink and kinda left it at that, but my brain likes to see danger everywhere.

I'm assuming this dust was some kind of material in the charger that dissolved? Is this toxic? Should I throw away the glass and power scrub my sink?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Doppelganger posted:

Should I throw away the glass and power scrub my sink?

at this point you should just set it all on fire and move to a different continent

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

Mac havers are some of the cleanest/dirtiest people I've met.

I'm amazed at how entitled people are at using their laptop as a piece of crockery complain that it accumulating all that poo poo is somehow defective.

Buncha loving animals, jfc.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Do any of the USB-C/TB multi adapters support 4k60? There's single HDMI adapters that do but all the HDMI + USB-A hubs seem to only do 30Hz

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Anybody swap in a MBP 13" Early 2015 battery before? A friend cannot have her laptop gone for the 7-10 days that Apple quoted (it's her everything she said).

So I said yes, and I'm still waiting on the battery to arrive. But I didn't realize I would need to use adhesive remover and/or heat it up. And it's a 36-step, 45 to 120 minutes affair—according to iFixit. Nice keeping Mac hardware alive, but yeesh Apple, really? It's a battery. :argh:

It's starting to remind me of the HD upgrade/replacement for the iBook 12" — remember how fun those were kids?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Djimi posted:

It's starting to remind me of the HD upgrade/replacement for the iBook 12" — remember how fun those were kids?

Building a space shuttle would be easier

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Milkman posted:

Do any of the USB-C/TB multi adapters support 4k60? There's single HDMI adapters that do but all the HDMI + USB-A hubs seem to only do 30Hz

I bought the Acell one and it worked fine with a Dell 27" 4K monitor over HDMI, and a 15" 2016 MBP. Make sure the monitor allows HDMI 2.0 or else you will have to connect to it over DisplayPort

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So my only option to add USB3 to my 2011 iMac is a $50 TB adapter or $100+ dock? I don't mind the price I just want to get the most out of it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Since there's no place on the mid-2011 logic board to plug in a PCIe USB 3.0 card, yeah those are your only options..

Who is selling a Thunderbolt 1 to USB 3.0 adapter for only $50? I can only find the Kanex TB to USB 3.0 for $80 or so..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Since there's no place on the mid-2011 logic board to plug in a PCIe USB 3.0 card, yeah those are your only options..

Who is selling a Thunderbolt 1 to USB 3.0 adapter for only $50? I can only find the Kanex TB to USB 3.0 for $80 or so..

Kanex open box

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253479973428

I ended up getting that modular lexar monstrosity since I wanted card readers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: New RETINA MacBook Air? :siren:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/12/new-entry-level-mac-notebook-retina/

quote:

DigiTimes is now reporting that Apple is planning to launch a new 13.3-inch "entry-level MacBook" late in the second quarter of the year, which suggests an introduction at WWDC in June. While DigiTimes calls the notebook a "MacBook," it is unclear whether it would be part of the MacBook or MacBook Air line, but the entry-level nature of the machine and the MacBook's positioning at a similar 12-inch size suggests this new machine might be part of a refreshed MacBook Air family.

However the new entry-level machine is marketed, DigiTimes says the pricing will be the same as or slightly higher than the current MacBook Air, which starts at $999, and the machine will include a Retina display.
The 13.3-inch a-Si panels for the new notebook feature the same resolution as Apple's 13.3-inch MacBook Pro at 2,560 by 1,600.

LG Display will begin supplying the panel in April with the new MacBook scheduled to enter mass production at the end of May or the beginning of June.

About loving time. Apple must have noticed sales of the 2017 MBA dropping into the toilet. Really, releasing a lovely refresh of a seven year old design aint gonna cut it. It'd be a dream if they were shoring up the low end and came out with a new Mini, too..

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

About loving time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Where is the middle ground between a 13" nTB Pro and a 12" MB?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

Where is the middle ground between a 13" nTB Pro and a 12" MB?

Dell XPS 13?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Djimi posted:

Anybody swap in a MBP 13" Early 2015 battery before? A friend cannot have her laptop gone for the 7-10 days that Apple quoted (it's her everything she said).

So I said yes, and I'm still waiting on the battery to arrive. But I didn't realize I would need to use adhesive remover and/or heat it up. And it's a 36-step, 45 to 120 minutes affair—according to iFixit. Nice keeping Mac hardware alive, but yeesh Apple, really? It's a battery. :argh:

It's a chore and fiddly, but I did my 15" without pulling anything but the battery out. iFixit's guide has you basically strip it down to the bare case, which I didn't find remotely necessary. Their adhesive remover works pretty effectively and isn't difficult to apply. Just take your time, it's not technically difficult, just dealing with glue makes everything suck. And skip pulling the logic board, etc, if you can.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: New RETINA MacBook Air? :siren:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/12/new-entry-level-mac-notebook-retina/

About loving time. Apple must have noticed sales of the 2017 MBA dropping into the toilet. Really, releasing a lovely refresh of a seven year old design aint gonna cut it. It'd be a dream if they were shoring up the low end and came out with a new Mini, too..

TBH if the Air sales were nosediving I’d just as soon expect that line to go away entirely. I think you over estimate how much Apple is interested in keeping the Air alive. That last refresh was almost certainly minimal effort because consumers were still buying it despite apple’s desires to kill off the line.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So...the Air is in a cheaper class than the pro obviously but the super slimness isn't really all that useful/novel anymore but they are keeping that way because reasons? I guess there's always the non pro MB so then who exactly needs the thinness?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

So...the Air is in a cheaper class than the pro obviously but the super slimness isn't really all that useful/novel anymore but they are keeping that way because reasons? I guess there's always the non pro MB so then who exactly needs the thinness?

It's not about needing thinness per se, it's about what Sir Jony Ive decides you're getting.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If they put out an Air with a retina screen and the old keyboard I'll put my 2016 pro directly into the toilet

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

The current Macbook Pro is thinner than an Air.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

They're just keeping it because it's the cheapest and it probably sells well. I don't know why they don't just drop the price of the MacBook to $999 and dump the MacBook Air completely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

They're just keeping it because it's the cheapest and it probably sells well. I don't know why they don't just drop the price of the MacBook to $999 and dump the MacBook Air completely.

This would be the right thing. It basically replaces either the 11 or 13

But really, what could they do to the 13" nTB model (which is apparently what they are releasing) to make it 'worse'?

i5-7Y54 instead of the i5-6360U (only about $30 price difference)
128GB instead of 256GB? Ugh

Remove 1 USB-C port?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A refreshed MacBook Air is bizarre to me because the Macbook IS the replacement for the Air.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe people want the larger key travel and usb ports... which for sure wont be on an air refresh.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the new keyboards are pretty unpopular for people who have to type a lot? I personally have only tried it in store. I don’t hate it but I don’t like it either.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The hate for them online is pretty strong, although if you ask a random stranger how much they like theirs they'd probably not have a strong opinion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So the new keyboards are pretty unpopular for people who have to type a lot? I personally have only tried it in store. I don’t hate it but I don’t like it either.

My 2016 13" Touchbar Pro is fine. But, I hated my 2015 MacBook. Some people must type really hard because they complain of physical pain in the finger tips after typing for a decent amount of time.

I find it hard to feel where the keys start/end because the gaps are so small, and sticking or non-responding keys are very, very common, and the arrow key shape is stupid now. Also they are louder than the old ones which people seem to bring up a lot.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
What's the best price point for an iMac right now? Want to get my wife a replacement for her aging macbook plus something my kids could learn to use. I'm thinking 21" and would happily buy refurbished. Perhaps:

Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 4K display
Originally released October 2015
21.5-inch (diagonal) Retina 4K display with IPS technology
8GB memory
1TB hard drive

Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200

$1,349.00 CDN

or

Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 3.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 4K display
Originally released June 2017
21.5-inch (diagonal) Retina 4K display
8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 onboard memory
1TB hard drive
Radeon Pro 555

$1,459.00 CDN

I wish the refurbs had SSDs.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Shaocaholica posted:

Unpopular opinion: I love the new keyboard.

I have a 2017 13” rMBPT at work and a 2013 15” rMBP at home. I got so used to the 2017’s keyboard that using my home machine feels like a mushy mess. The speed of the short travel and general feel is great to me. Granted I haven’t gotten any crumbs in it yet but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t need the power or size of the 15” anymore, and I’m considering replacing it with the 12” MB.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I like the keyboard a lot, and it’s the crummy one still going strong two years later.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

My 2016 13" Touchbar Pro is fine. But, I hated my 2015 MacBook. Some people must type really hard because they complain of physical pain in the finger tips after typing for a decent amount of time.

I find it hard to feel where the keys start/end because the gaps are so small, and sticking or non-responding keys are very, very common, and the arrow key shape is stupid now. Also they are louder than the old ones which people seem to bring up a lot.

Wait, so how many different types of keyboards is apple currently making? Did each unibody MBP gen have a different keyboard?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I love the 2016 keyboard. My beard dandruff, pencil eraser dust, etc has never been a problem and I consistently type 10-20 wpm faster on it than on my 2012 mbp. Typing on my old 2012 feels like mushy trash now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there like a CPU-Z for macOS? I want to check memory timings of some after market ram.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I seem to recall having used CPU-X in the past.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there like a CPU-Z for macOS? I want to check memory timings of some after market ram.

Oh it turns out memtest86 reports memory speed and latency.

Also, 1866mhz ram from a newer iMac runs just fine with good timings in a 1333mhz iMac. I wasn't sure if it would fallback to lovely timings but memtest86 says its running at CL9.

And now my 2011 iMac has max memory. And Apple OE ram too.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

AlternateAccount posted:

Just take your time, it's not technically difficult, just dealing with glue makes everything suck. And skip pulling the logic board, etc, if you can.
Thanks for the insight. If it warrants a story, I'll report back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for some kind of network storage to put video on. Basically something for the cameras to dump to instead of our regular network shares. Finalized clips will be stored elsewhere, this is basically a work/temp area.

Should I get a Synology or something? It would be shared between a couple 27" iMacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Looking for some kind of network storage to put video on. Basically something for the cameras to dump to instead of our regular network shares. Finalized clips will be stored elsewhere, this is basically a work/temp area.

Should I get a Synology or something? It would be shared between a couple 27" iMacs.

I have a Synology DS916+ and love it. I use it for my Plex media which is mostly DVR'd broadcast TV and uncompressed rips of my BluRay library. I also use it for my TimeMachine backups. And in a weird reversal, I use to backup some data that lives in the cloud.

I'm actually thinking about getting another to put into my home lab.