Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What's a powerslice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

What's a powerslice?

Get the gently caress out of here ya fuckin' oval office.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Speaking of bacon: Alonso goes p2

Definitely not a desperate cry for sponsors

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

are you a ferrari f1 team worker on break?

In an ideal dream world I would work for any Italian auto manufacturer. We all have a stick up our asses when it comes to jobs in the English speaking world and the results don't end up being much better (see: McLaren). The Italians have the right idea.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Testing season is over.

Scuderia Ferrari is the best

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Speaking of bacon: Alonso goes p2

Definitely not a desperate cry for sponsors

Barring some huge surprise it's either the 4th or 5th fastest.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Fernando Alonso was briefly the best with a lap record, but he cut the chicane to do it and had to settle for 2nd

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I saw that. It was a 1:16 IIRC.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At the other end of the grid, why do the Saubers keep spinning?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sirotkin also seems to be struggling.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Barring some huge surprise it's either the 4th or 5th fastest.

If I had to guess I'd say

Mercedes

Ferrari/Red Bull

Force India/McLaren/Renault/Williams
Sauber/Toro Rosso
Haas

At the start of the season anyway. McLaren always develop what they have well over a season so I expect a podium or two at the tail end of the season. Melbourne always throws a surprise result out there so maybe McLaren'll get it out of the way early

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That car is not even finishing Melbourne, loving lol at the idea of it getting a podium.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren will win in Melbourne.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That seemed a bit needlessly cruel and harsh there.

Waffles is clearly going to be taken out by a sauber, and fernando will end up doing a blistering start only to have his tyre slashed by a red bull and then end up battling back up to a valiant 8th.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Get the gently caress out of here ya fuckin' oval office.

harsh

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also i won the pre season thread

Shitposting will be on point

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

That car is not even finishing Melbourne, loving lol at the idea of it getting a podium.

They got a double podium last time they had a non Honda engine in Melbourne. I did say it would be a surprise

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tsaedje posted:

Fernando Alonso was briefly the best with a lap record, but he cut the chicane to do it and had to settle for 2nd

Sounds like the McLaren is just too quick for the track, it's like driving a motorbike through your hallway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

poty posted:

Sounds like the McLaren is just too quick for the track, it's like driving a motorbike through your hallway

Don't give 1500 ideas.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
everybody says test times don't matter,
because sandbagging etc...

but are there any stats from previous years that compare testing vs. race times?
I've never really followed testing before so I have no idea.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

according to Pirelli, these are the deltas between the compounds.

This would put Mercedes about four tenths in front of Red Bull, which is one and a halft tenths in front of Ferrari.......and then comes Haas?

Testing, of course, so it says nothing, but I wouldn't be surprised if that would be close to what we see in Melbourne (all but Haas, that would be really surprising)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't think there's enough available information during testing to make any sensible conclusions. Honestly the better measure is the mood of team members during testing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Agree. Drivers are instructed to never do a really fast lap anyway, so they should lift a bit before the section lines IF they are doing a quali run. Teams have their GPS data and much more to know what's up etc.

I started following the testing about five years ago (watched F1 since about 2001, bur never followed testing), and my experience is that - apart from obvious problems like reliability or beeing totally dog-slow or unable to finish half the laps the other teams do - the top teams know exactly how to hide true performance when it comes to lap times. I'm more interested in what professional race drivers which are trackside write about how the cars behave, since that's something you can't see in the pure laptimes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apart from all those good points no team is doing the same things at the same time in the same conditions on the same day.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Speaking of sector times...last year, F1 started with a new system that split the sectors down to smaller sections and displayed a live timing with each of the sectors....I found this quite awesome especially during quali, because you had a nearly live-delta. It stopped working multiple times during the first three races, and then they completely abandoned it. Was there every info if they plan to bring this back? It was rather cool.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I only trust Fernando Alonso, who is the worst liar on the planet and me-like in his inability to hide his emotions, and he’s super optimistic.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Does Fernando know what a powerslice is?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

tuo posted:

Does Fernando know what a powerslice is?

He probably wants to powerslice his wrists

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

He probably wants to powerslice his wrists

“God forgive me, I am not worthy of this outstanding race car.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fernando will be giving me an erection for the entire Melbourne race. And when you think about it, that's the real prize.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nothing would give me more pleasure than Fernando Alonso finishing ahead of the Ferraris

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Nothing would give me more pleasure than Fernando Alonso finishing ahead of the Ferraris

Pacinamac
Jun 15, 2001
I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANY FORUM SPECIFIC RULES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TIME TAKEN AWAY FROM STICKING THINGS UP MY ASS
I miss Bernie guys.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only thing you can determine in testing is reliability imo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pacinamac posted:

I miss Bernie guys.

Hell, same. For like a loving year now.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the only thing you can determine in testing is reliability imo

Unless you're Brawn GP and it's 2009

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bernie should become Ferrari's team principle

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

tuo posted:

Speaking of sector times...last year, F1 started with a new system that split the sectors down to smaller sections and displayed a live timing with each of the sectors....I found this quite awesome especially during quali, because you had a nearly live-delta. It stopped working multiple times during the first three races, and then they completely abandoned it. Was there every info if they plan to bring this back? It was rather cool.

I think they abandoned it since it kept crashing the whole graphics system. I don't actually like it as much because it takes some of the suspense away in qualifying.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Y’all are talking about Sanders right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Y’all are talking about Sanders right

Bernie Sanders F1 would be incredible