Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Closer to 80% on low gain though it seems a recent Windows update has boosted my volume. Specifically the Groove music app is now much louder. Not sure what drives that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I personally think hd6xx series headphones sound much more fun and engaging with a tube amp, and they're very revealing of source, so it's a bigger difference than with other headphones. It's a very silly rabbit hole to go down though, and inarguably a waste of money for objectively worse sound quality.

But tubes are heck of fun to play with, even cheap hybrid amps.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just for reference, my first time hearing the 650 (amped source), I heard enough difference between it and my 580 on that same source that I eventually "upgraded".

However, I hear no difference between a 650 amped from a 7.1 receiver vs iPhone.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I personally think hd6xx series headphones sound much more fun and engaging with a tube amp, and they're very revealing of source, so it's a bigger difference than with other headphones. It's a very silly rabbit hole to go down though, and inarguably a waste of money for objectively worse sound quality.

But tubes are heck of fun to play with, even cheap hybrid amps.

What tube amp do you have/use/like?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is there an ideal volume to use in Windows->Itunes-> amplifier?

I had been using 60% windows volume, 50% itunes volume, and like 40% amp volume. if I crank windows up to 100 then I only need to run the amp at ~15% at low gain which seems like a waste.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Have a pair of HifiMan Sundara's coming in. Knowing it crushes a $4000 Focal headphone floors me. Endgame is in sight.

Just hope they don't break on me like my HE-400i's

5-HT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 16, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

5-HT posted:

Have a pair of HifiMan Sundara's coming in. Knowing it crushes a $4000 Focal headphone floors me. Endgame is in sight.

Just hope they don't break on me like my HE-400i's

Umm, who exactly said that the Sundara's are better than the Focal Utopia?

Edit: Are you sure you aren't mixing up the Sundara and Susvara? The former are $500 and the latter are $6000

grack fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 16, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

grack posted:

Umm, who exactly said that the Sundara's are better than the Focal Utopia?

Edit: Are you sure you aren't mixing up the Sundara and Susvara? The former are $500 and the latter are $6000

Not confusing them, currently wearing the Sundara's rn

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-sundara-around-ear-open-planar-magnetic-headphones

First comment

quote:

Utopia btfo.

HE6 btfo.

What a marvel. Definitely agree with the WoF this time. Might have to get a pair.

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-sundara-around-ear-open-planar-magnetic-headphones#ITCZ6DreVgDJTOUt.99

there's really not much of a comparison. hifiman managed to overengineer a midrange product

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So one graph on THD and that means that the Sundaras "wipe the floor" with the Focal Utopia? Tyll compares the Sundaras to the Focal Clears in that review and calls the Clears much better headphones.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

5-HT posted:

Not confusing them, currently wearing the Sundara's rn

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-sundara-around-ear-open-planar-magnetic-headphones

First comment

there's really not much of a comparison. hifiman managed to overengineer a midrange product

They forgot to over engineer the headbands though :colbert:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

What tube amp do you have/use/like?

I've got a bottlehead crack I built years ago. I love the way it sounds, though, like any tube amp, not for critical listening or mixing or anything.

5-HT posted:

I'm glad you're excited about your purchase but please cut down on the hyperbole-as-fact. Tyll liking a headphone doesn't mean anything except Tyll likes a headphone. I'm sure they're very nice, but unless you actually have a pair of focal utopia to compare them to, settle down there beavis.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm glad you're excited about your purchase but please cut down on the hyperbole-as-fact. Tyll liking a headphone doesn't mean anything except Tyll likes a headphone. I'm sure they're very nice, but unless you actually have a pair of focal utopia to compare them to, settle down there beavis.

I've read that review twice at this point. I don't think Tyll even mentions the Utopias, much less compare them to the Sundaras

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I owned (and liked) a pair of HiFiMan HE400i cans, and the Focal Clears I now own are so much better they’re not even in the same ballpark, let alone class.

Take random measurements and excited posts from people convinced they just found a new holy grail headphone at a bargain price with a grain of salt.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Switching tracks from modern headphones and going retro I've started listening to my ancient AKG K701s again. The nightmare torture hard bump headband was resolved today by literally ripping it off the headphones with bare hands and snipping the elastic, then tossing the whole floating suspension arrangement in the bin.

In place I've got a ZMF pilot pad with an extra layer of material for thickness attached to the support struts (might not work for people who don't have large hat sizes). The pads were pretty old and disgusting but I pulled out my spare brainwavz XLs and those fit great.

So overall these take more juice to drive than I remember but still a very nice sound. There is more bass... extension... than I remembered but definitely no mid-bass bump so it's more on the analytical side of things. Wish I'd had the guts to be so destructive with the modding years ago.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I should probably just focus on trying out other headphones with my current setup, but I'm just wondering a few things, in case anyone has the knowledge/experience with this kind of hardware:
  • Is there any worthwhile (I guess this is kind of subjective) improvement moving up to another amp from the original Magni I already have if I'm mainly trying to get a more detailed, "resolved" or "accurate" and neutral to very slightly warm sound? Or should I just focus on the headphones?
  • If I've disabled the various sound-distorting effects on the Titanium HD in my PC to get as clean of a sound as I can from it, would moving to something like the Modi Multibit be likely to improve the sound to any noticeable degree, or would I have to go up significantly in price bracket to get something "better"?
From what I've actually been able to find, it seems like the original Magni is at least pretty good for a starter amp but that there are some improvements that people can hear in higher-end amps like the Jotunheim and others that cost several times the Magni's price (extra detail/resolution, dynamics, blah). Otherwise, I see a bunch of people using tube amps to try to round or smooth out sounds that they don't like in their headphones, or try to make things "warmer" in general. I'm just trying to get as clean/uncoloured of a signal as I can from the PC to the headphones (if that's possible), so the headphones are the only part I change to try to get a different sound. I also have a Roland Quad-Capture sitting around that I could technically use as a source, but I don't know if that would be "better" than the Titanium HD through the RCA line outs.

Basically, I tried the DT 880 and TH600 on my PC and Magni again ("Audio Creation" mode on the Titanium HD, all effects/enhancements disabled) and things sounded a bit better and more easily enjoyable overall than I gave them credit for earlier. But, I still hear some muddiness/sluggishness in the same areas on both headphones and at least regular speech still sounds kind of "hollow" on the TH600 (guessing that's an effect of the boosted bass/treble?). Also, vocals seem like they're not quite loud enough in either pair (slightly more balanced on the DT 880). So, I'm likely still going to have to just try other headphones if I want a more neutral/"balanced" sound with better detail retrieval/resolution or whatever. I don't want my sound card or amp to hold things back, though, if that's something I'd have to worry about with the current setup.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Headphones first, amplifier based on what your headphones need. Or buy an unnecessarily expensive overkill amplifier and never care about the topic again but that will probably cost about the price of a really nice pair of headphones by itself.

Some modern headphones are so efficient that unless you simply want a cleaner signal (hearing any hissing or static? your signal needs work) no amplifier is needed. Or maybe all you need is a matchbox sized FiiO 10K USB powered amplifier, etc.

So yeah you might notice an improvement buying that overkill amplifier if you're using thirsty headphones which can use the power but otherwise probably not.

Also don't stress about your fostex headphones. You are correct that the elevated bass & treble means the mid-range gets swamped out if you're not trying to kill your ears by accident. That's why it's nice to have something flat & neutral for long duration listening and use the fun fatiguing stuff for short listening sessions you can't sustain for more than one album or so. I've got a pair of TH610s which are supposed to be more neutral and even there I find the bass & high end overwhelming on some tracks. Some of that comes down to how the recording was mixed and you really can't do much about that. If there is a particular album you like which has a bad studio mix try finding a live performance version instead.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Grog posted:

would moving to something like the Modi Multibit be likely to improve the sound to any noticeable degree, or would I have to go up significantly in price bracket to get something "better"?

No, and no. A DAC either works or it doesn't. If you're not getting RF interference or audible digital distortion, your DAC is working as well as any other one would, regardless of cost.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hot take: you don't actually need an amp unless your computer or smartphone are literal garbage.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Hot take: you don't actually need an amp unless your computer or smartphone are literal garbage.

I have to disagree with this. There are some high-impedance dynamic headphones and more than a few planar magnetics that genuinely require an amp to drive properly. Note that I'm not saying an expensive amp, just clarifying that they actually need more power than most cell phones/motherboards deliver.

It's also true that more modern cell phones and motherboards have dramatically better audio circuitry, so the need for an amp with those specific cans was even more valid several years ago.

Electrostatic headphones always need special amps.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
When I got my HD 569s I was plugging them into the headphone jack on my monitor because the cord didn't reach to my computer, and they sounded good, but I was slightly disappointed that they didn't sound better. A few months later I was on the road and plugged them into my phone and was literally blown away how much better they sounded.

After that I resolved to get an amp, the monoprice one, and it works great. You can blast the volume very, very high and it still sounds amazing. Can't wait to get my 6XXs.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My Grado SR80s sound miles better with an amp. They just aren't driven well enough by my phone or pc.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Josh Lyman posted:

you are mostly correct except I think you're underestimating how common it is for manufacturers to include garbage headphone outputs in otherwise nice devices, i.e. every samsung thing

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I can't tell if I've just gotten older and lost some hearing (I'm 36 and work around loud airplanes) or if I've just lost my passion for music, or if I really need an amp. These 6xx are really underwhelming. I had some mid-grade Shure iems in my 20s and some grado sr80s and the detail and soundstage was incredible and made me feel like I was being transported- now these 6xx basically sound like any other decent headphones. I've got some audio Technicas and a pair of Sony mdrs (both ~$100 iirc) and they all sound the same and don't reveal a lot of detail to me.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

greasyhands posted:

I can't tell if I've just gotten older and lost some hearing (I'm 36 and work around loud airplanes) or if I've just lost my passion for music, or if I really need an amp. These 6xx are really underwhelming. I had some mid-grade Shure iems in my 20s and some grado sr80s and the detail and soundstage was incredible and made me feel like I was being transported- now these 6xx basically sound like any other decent headphones. I've got some audio Technicas and a pair of Sony mdrs (both ~$100 iirc) and they all sound the same and don't reveal a lot of detail to me.

From what I’ve read, the 650/6xx are notorious for needing a powerful amp to live up to their potential. My 6xx are coming on Tuesday and I’m curious to see how they sound with my Magni 3.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Thanks for the responses earlier. Assuming my Titanium HD isn't fundamentally messing up the sound somehow, then I just need to figure out what to do as far as testing out other headphones. There are apparently a couple of audio or hi-fi places in the nearest city, but if they don't really carry anything then I'll probably have to just take my chances again and buy stuff online. Maybe I'll even try a couple of different sets at once this time! :homebrew:

If any of the shops have demo units of the HD 600 or 650 that I can try out, then I might get in on the next HD 6XX drop if they sound good. The "foam modded" HD 555s are the last Sennheiser headphones I've listened to, and I'm guessing those don't measure up super well even just going to the next tier up within Sennheiser.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Going from sr80s to HD650s must feel like getting out of a cold swimming pool and belly-flopping into a jacuzzi. It's an awkward change, and there will be a longer brain break-in for it. In addition, HD650s have a 300 ohm impedance and need an amp that can handle that, although most desktop amps can do that, and in the grand scheme of audio things they're not really that hard to drive. They will benefit from higher resolution upstream gear and I think that could be a bigger issue.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone had any experience with the B&O Beoplay E8? They're wireless IEMs. They seem to have really great sound, but I've been having a little trouble getting the things into my ears comfortably. I seem to have to take about 3 tries each time to get a decent, comfortable fit. I'm hoping that some comply tips will make it a bit easier. The silicon tips leave me with an uncomfortable pressure in my ear after inserting.

edit: https://www.beoplay.com/en/landingpages/beoplaye8

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is it likely the Bose QC35s go on sale between now and say May? Want a pair for a trip coming up but retail is steep and the ebay refurb bose store is all out.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Virtue posted:

Is it likely the Bose QC35s go on sale between now and say May? Want a pair for a trip coming up but retail is steep and the ebay refurb bose store is all out.

iffy. your best bet is to grab a pair of last gen sony hear.on's. they're going now for about $100 - $150 used and the NC on them is halfway decent. just a pair for a trip this past weekend to chicago, worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CQXGM5K/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

greasyhands posted:

Headphones can only reveal detail if it's present in the recording. You want some tracks that reveal everything your headphones are capable of.

Everyone has their own preferred song for that purpose. Mine is "Horology" from Polygondwanaland.
https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/polygondwanaland

Give that a listen on your collection and see if it helps you pick out the differences in presentation.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Xun posted:

Hmm I actually haven’t heard of modmics before. If they work well and aren’t annoying I’d definitely consider them, my desk is kind of small so there’s not enough space for a stand-alone mic and all the other things I need on it.

I have a modmic on my HD650s. They're the best mic I've used and the only thing better I could think of would be a real recording mic mounted on a boom or something. If you get directional you really have to aim the mic correctly to pick up your voice. I didn't really notice any sound difference with the mount on the side.

Parker Lewis posted:

From what I’ve read, the 650/6xx are notorious for needing a powerful amp to live up to their potential. My 6xx are coming on Tuesday and I’m curious to see how they sound with my Magni 3.

You will need an amp but not something crazy expensive. Both my MBP and workstation drive it just fine (they both have builtin amps), but I use a Magni on my workstation just to get a real volume knob. Just don't expect to drive it from your phone or something.

Note I'm not an an audiophile that buys $1000 titanium alloy cables but I do have a hipstery vinyl collection even though digital is just as good. So my opinions are more of a layman than anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Virtue posted:

Really the only ones I ever see go on sale are the QC25s. I can't remember the last time I saw the 35s go on sale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I have a modmic on my HD650s. They're the best mic I've used and the only thing better I could think of would be a real recording mic mounted on a boom or something. If you get directional you really have to aim the mic correctly to pick up your voice. I didn't really notice any sound difference with the mount on the side.
Counterpoint, I had one and absolutely hated it. It likes to fall off the magnet mount frequently, and picked up noise in the wires from movement. The V-MODA BoomPro I got works much better, though I suppose it depends on if it works with the headphones you have.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I have both and they're both really good. Haven't had issues with the magnetic mount or microphonics. Mine was a ModMic 4 (5 is out now but a lot more expensive). My main issue with it though is that it's another set of wires and there's no clean way really of making it tidy even with cable clips and poo poo. The BoomPro is great with that because it's just one wire provided your headphones have detachable 3.5mm.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I got my HD 6XX today and I am impressed so far.

I'm comparing them against Fidelio X1, Beyerdynamic DT 1990, and Beyerdynamic Amiron on a Magni 3. The 6XX seem to be the best of all worlds. Enough bass for me, not as much as the X1 but better controlled. Overall clarity seems on par with the Beyers (noticeably better than the X1) but the treble is not piercing, so I don't have to EQ the 8k spike down on the 6XX like I did with the DT 1990 and Amiron.

I'm glad the HD 6XX came in while I was still within the return window for the DT 1990 and Amiron, because the HD 6XX sounds just as good if not better than them and it's 1/3 the price. It does seem to be a steal at $199 shipped.

The real test will be in a few months when the Massdrop x Focal Elex come in, though as of now I'm having a hard time seeing how I will be able to justify keeping those at more than 3x the price of the 6XX. $300 total for a Magni 3 and 6XX seems like a good stopping point before before hitting diminishing returns for a lot more money.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Parker Lewis posted:

$300 total for a Magni 3 and 6XX seems like a good stopping point before before hitting diminishing returns for a lot more money.

I couldn't agree more. I've owned my 580s for going on 8 years now, and I'm still genuinely impressed by them on a regular basis, even in comparison to much more expensive sets.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
^ That's great to hear because I just bought the HD 6XX yesterday on the eBay sale

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
What do we think of these?

https://newatlas.com/nura-headphones-review/52214/

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Virtue posted:

They just went on sale. $300 at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-QuietComfort-35-Wireless-Headphones-II-2-Colors-Headphones-Speaker-NEW-/183076524001?rmvSB=true with the coupon PRETTYDAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Their A/B testing was against Koss Bluetooth headphones and QC35's. :what:

The automated frequency adjustment is cool, but that's something you can do manually and most people just lose high frequency hearing as they age.

No in-ear will be as comfortable as an over ear, and no over ear will be as light and mobile as an in-ear, so they've managed to combine the worst of both worlds.

The skin-conduction system sounds like a fancy way of describing bass, and I can't imagine silicone earpads being comfortable for any extended period of time.

I'm sure they're fine but they're $400. I'll take the HD6XX any day.