Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Maybe I've spent too long in CSPAM and talking with other Democrats in real life but I can't see this not being an extreme blow to Kamala's chances of winning the nomination

All you have to do is bring up the literally hundreds of videos of ICE kidnapping people in broad daylight within the past year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maybe I've spent too long in CSPAM and talking with other Democrats in real life but I can't see this not being an extreme blow to Kamala's chances of winning the nomination

All you have to do is bring up the literally hundreds of videos of ICE kidnapping people in broad daylight within the past year

hillary wrote about owning slaves in a bestselling book

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

And literally no one noticed for something like two decades.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
yeah man, Hillary has said some wretched stuff in the past and it gets glazed over with loud Yasssssss Qweeeeens.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

She's a literal AstroTurf, no one talked about her pre 11/9

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://pagesix.com/2017/07/15/kama...8419.1500251117

quote:

The Democrats’ “Great Freshman Hope,” Sen. Kamala Harris, is heading to the Hamptons to meet with Hillary Clinton’s biggest backers.

The California senator is being fêted in Bridgehampton on Saturday at the home of MWWPR guru Michael Kempner, a staunch Clinton supporter who was one of her national-finance co-chairs and a led fund-raiser for her 2008 bid for the presidency. He was also listed as one of the top “bundlers” for Barack Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign, having raised $3 million.

Guests there to greet Harris are expected to include Margo Alexander, a member of Clinton’s inner circle; Dennis Mehiel, a Democratic donor who is the chairman of the Battery Park City Authority, even though he lives between a sprawling Westchester estate and an Upper East Side pad; designer Steven Gambrel and Democratic National Committee member Robert Zimmerman.

She's already been pre-approved by the donors, she's loving winning the nomination.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ruzihm posted:

which became a major media story long after she lost the general election, and people already despise prisoners. same with the "superpredators" thing, that was about something from loving 20 years ago that most people approved of at the time and you still see lukewarm support for ending the drug war (mostly on the basis of "we want legal weed" and not so much on the basis of "the drug war is an intensely racist program that destroys lives")

this isn't the same thing, kamala is actively defending something that's happening right now that people are super mad about

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WampaLord posted:

She's already been pre-approved by the donors, she's loving winning the nomination.

not in a three-way between booker and gillibrand I don't think so, especially not after defending ICE and touting her credentials as a prosecutor

these three camps are already more or less balanced (right now) and now the people who are mad about ICE/immigration are going to run away from kamala's camp

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

not in a three-way between booker and gillibrand I don't think so, especially not after defending ICE and touting her credentials as a prosecutor

these three camps are already more or less balanced (right now) and now the people who are mad about ICE/immigration are going to run away from kamala's camp

oh you sweet summer child

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WampaLord posted:

oh you sweet summer child

:rolleyes:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Isn't the ICE thing relatively overblown? Wasn't Obama substantially worse than Trump in that regard?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm just saying, remember this moment 2 years or so from now when she's accepting the nomination thanks to the superdelegates.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
BERNIE &
KIETH &
ELIZABETH &
PETE

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

which became a major media story long after she lost the general election, and people already despise prisoners. same with the "superpredators" thing, that was about something from loving 20 years ago that most people approved of at the time and you still see lukewarm support for ending the drug war (mostly on the basis of "we want legal weed" and not so much on the basis of "the drug war is an intensely racist program that destroys lives")

this isn't the same thing, kamala is actively defending something that's happening right now that people are super mad about

nobody with any institutional power (which is necessary for domestic media coverage) will want to bring it up because doing so would threaten their position as well. same reason nobody with institutional power seemed to care about hillary owning slaves or calling children superpredators even after it was dug back up.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I'm just saying, remember this moment 2 years or so from now when she's accepting the nomination thanks to the superdelegates.

She's going nowhere op

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's gonna be Booker vs gilibrand

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think the party elders have learned enough of their lesson that they're gonna stop coronating nominees, but I do think they've learned enough of their lesson that they're going to take into account whether their coronated nominee is electable when they make their decision. My money's on Gillibrand.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lawman 0 posted:

It's gonna be Booker vs gilibrand

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Well If Bernie runs he's going to crush them ofc

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

I don't think the party elders have learned enough of their lesson that they're gonna stop coronating nominees, but I do think they've learned enough of their lesson that they're going to take into account whether their coronated nominee is electable when they make their decision. My money's on Gillibrand.

I don't think they've learned anything at all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I really hope that Bernie or Liz or Keith or someone of their ilk can mount a successful outsider challenge this time, but I'm feeling pessimistic and cynical today so

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I hope this wretched country burns before 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie is running.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LGD posted:

bingo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't the ICE thing relatively overblown? Wasn't Obama substantially worse than Trump in that regard?

iirc obama had ICE basically game deportation stats by counting everyone caught at or near the border as a deportation (and he definitely had some garbage policies wrt childhood arrivals that hillary gleefully defended in one of the primary debates) but we definitely didn't have gestapo rolling into diners and kidnapping parents on their way to drop their kids at school

its similar to civilian drone bombings where it was definitely bad under obama and he was a piece of poo poo for letting it continue but it's gotten way worse now

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

The problem is all the Correct the Record/ShareBlue nuts have been preemptively astroturfing social media with Black Lives Matter spam in preparation for Kamala's run, so the minute she falls out of favor it's going to be a 3-way between "Hillary's Pick" Kamala Harris, Bernie, and the DNC's pick

It will be ugly

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LGD posted:

oh no they definitely learned that they can abuse and betray their base all they like and face no consequences for it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

didnt harris own slaves basically too

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

i dunno if she owned any but she made a living on catching them.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Tunicate posted:

hillary rented slaves, whereas harris was the one renting the slaves out. completely different

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

iirc obama had ICE basically game deportation stats by counting everyone caught at or near the border as a deportation (and he definitely had some garbage policies wrt childhood arrivals that hillary gleefully defended in one of the primary debates) but we definitely didn't have gestapo rolling into diners and kidnapping parents on their way to drop their kids at school

its similar to civilian drone bombings where it was definitely bad under obama and he was a piece of poo poo for letting it continue but it's gotten way worse now

Trump doesn't count people caught at or near the border as a deportation?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just got sentenced to 7 years lol

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

just got sentenced to 7 years lol

:bisonyes:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump doesn't count people caught at or near the border as a deportation?

presumably they still do that in addition to the very visible terrorisms, I haven't checked the numbers or anything

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think some people here have overlearned 2016's lesson and are shook. looking @ you wampalord. the dnc is talking about abolishing superdelegates right now, who knows if they will or won't, but the dnc/dccc are hardly hypercompetent masterminds

bernie got 43% of the vote to clinton's 55% (and 2% going to misc)

we know at least four major names are running in 2020 - bernie, kamala, booker, gillibrand. there might be more but it involves unfounded speculation, so let's focus on these four. (I find it very unlikely warren will run, especially not after yesterday where she directly called out a major wing of the Democrats and made a bunch of enemies. Plus she's said she hates campaigning and especially hates the scrutiny and intrusion it brings. She'll be happy staying in Senate and maybe one day :pray: SenMajLdr. as for keith: he might attempt a run but he's not going to successfully jump from congressman to Democratic Party Nominee and he's probably better off going after senator/attorney general/governor first)

almost all that 43% will go to bernie again I feel really safe in predicting so. A significant chunk of clinton's 55% will have taken the venom snake/majorian route and become extremely disillusioned with the clinton wing and with establishment candidates in general. I don't know how large that chunk will be but I'm going to guess they're going to be split between bernie and gillibrand, and maybe another progressive candidate if they run -- but again, unfounded speculation as of right now.

there's going to be a subset of brainless hanger-ons who will yaaas for kamala and grovel before her and post sassy gifs everywhere no matter what but I don't think it'll be enough to pull ahead in a multiway primary especially one that looks as contested as this will be and I don't think that subset is going to be all that large even with kamala getting preapproved and getting ShareBlue astroturfing. that they're trying this hard already is IMO not a sign that it's catching on

the remainder of the clinton wing, the centrists and the other soft liberals, will be split three ways between booker, harris, and gillibrand. booker is going to easily rake in the wealthier democrats, gillibrand will snatch up the more progressive-leaning democrats. I don't see any path here for harris to really build a following, anyone who's calling for someone TOUGH ON CRIME!! is already a republican or has other more important priorities tugging on their vote

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I already had fries for lunch I'm good thanks

I could use some ice water though

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is absolutely going to be ugly, however everything plays out.

I think Harris defining herself as the Law and Order Democrat is, charitably, a huge risk for her, but I wouldn't count her out yet. I think Gillibrand's in the strongest position of the big three right now, no matter how much Neochud Twitter* shouts about Franken.

Booker's trying too hard, and it shows.

Of course there's still a lot of time. Don't forget that Bill Clinton basically came out of nowhere.
___
*Original joke TM and C 2018 me, do not steal

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

he’ll get parole if he publishes the wu tang album

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Mar 9, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think some people here have overlearned 2016's lesson and are shook. looking @ you wampalord. the dnc is talking about abolishing superdelegates right now, who knows if they will or won't, but the dnc/dccc are hardly hypercompetent masterminds

This implies that they're actually going to do anything. Call me when they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WampaLord posted:

This implies that they're actually going to do anything. Call me when they do.

you missed the point of that sentence I think

• Locked thread