Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was 20 or 30 mins in before putting it down. I realize he's setting the stage and the like, but man he takes his time. I'll pick it up again later.

In the meantime I've been listening to some Inward Empire, which is loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Carlin almost got Hardcore History bingo in the first hour

- repeating himself
- "you can imagine..."
- "put yourself in their shoes..."
- "the SMELLS"
- <45 seconds of silence in the middle of a thought>

He just needed "<type of person> from our time would have been completely normal in this"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdjBV8-jKpo/?hl=en

Thomas Middleditch impersonates Dan Carlin, laffs ensue.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Count Roland posted:

I was 20 or 30 mins in before putting it down. I realize he's setting the stage and the like, but man he takes his time. I'll pick it up again later.

In the meantime I've been listening to some Inward Empire, which is loving fantastic.

Like others have said it picks up later and is pretty good. Not one of his best, but I'm not picky when it comes to Hardcore History.

The Pinkerton episode of Inward Episode is so good. Bummed that it'll probably be 2019 when we get part two.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Laterite posted:

This is good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Laterite posted:

My god it's perfect.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Laterite posted:

Oh god its cringe-inducing but so accurate. Just missing the deep end quote at the end.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Latest lawfare is the audio of a conference/round table about a new book. I want more of this, more audio recordings of lectures, conferences, etc. Any recommendations for a podcast feed that collects and distributes these?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Laterite posted:

I just want to thank you for this because I come back to it at least once a day. It's perfect.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Thank you Thomas Middleditch, now I have template to make a boxing quote.

Now I want you to imagine what it would be like to be to go into the ring and, this is from NBC's airing of, Jim Gray's interview with, Mike Tyson right after his massacre of Lou Savarese, this from Mike Tyson himself. Now I want you imagine going into the ring against an opponent who has threatened to rip your heart out, and keep in mind this is stupidly exaggerated because no man has that ability, so even him just KO-ing everyone of his opponents, what that must be like, the devastation. He says and I quote:

“I’m the best ever. I’m the most brutal, vicious, and most ruthless champion there’s ever been. There’s no one can stop me. Lennox (Lewis) is a conqueror? No. I’m Alexander. He’s no Alexander. I’m the best ever. There’s never been anybody as ruthless. I’m Sonny Liston. I’m Jack Dempsey. There’s no one like me. I’m from their cloth. There’s no one that can match me. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable. And I’m just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah.”

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
End quote.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Any recommendations for podcasts covering the War of 1812 or the French & Indian War? I don't need something only about these, I'd be happy with something like Revolutions that treats one in depth over a few episodes.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Honestly if you're looking to understand the social/political lead up and aftermath to the War of 1812, you could do a lot worse than Revolutions. Not sure about blow by blow milhist stuff, though.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

Honestly if you're looking to understand the social/political lead up and aftermath to the War of 1812, you could do a lot worse than Revolutions. Not sure about blow by blow milhist stuff, though.

I know, but I’ve already listened to Revolutions and I want more, please :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sat on my keys! posted:

I know, but I’ve already listened to Revolutions and I want more, please :(

When Diplomacy Fails did a couple of episodes on it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Does anyone listen to the Moral Maze (which like In Our Time is just a podcast of the Radio 4 program)? I find it's a bit hit or miss, but every now and then you get a really good episode where all the witnesses drive the hosts mad and the hosts themselves tear each other apart in the sum-up section (or where you end up agreeing with a witness you thought you'd hate, but that's less "fun").

The latest one where Giles Fraser all but calls out half the hosts for anti-semitism for daring to discuss banning circumcision is particularly vitriolic.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Susan Blackmore getting all flustered was a real treat.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the right thread to discuss the Stitcher produced Heavens Gate podcast? I haven't finished it yet but to be honest I'm feeling kind of meh about it and I'm not sure why. I think it feels a bit hollow despite all the testimonies and I don't get any sense of what life was really like in there. I recently listened to The Last Podcast On The Left series on Jim Jones and that was a lot more compelling to me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Duncan does some schedule business in the new 1848 episode:
+4 more episodes for 1848 after this
+Miniseries on Paris Commune after that
+Next two main series will be Mexico and Russia
+Book 2 confirmed, along with more Rome and Revolution tours

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

Is this the right thread to discuss the Stitcher produced Heavens Gate podcast? I haven't finished it yet but to be honest I'm feeling kind of meh about it and I'm not sure why. I think it feels a bit hollow despite all the testimonies and I don't get any sense of what life was really like in there. I recently listened to The Last Podcast On The Left series on Jim Jones and that was a lot more compelling to me.

I agree. Especially since the final episode doesn't really tie anything together in a way different than reading the Wikipedia article. I feel like they got really high on the host's real-life cult experience as a kid, and didn't quite have a full series plotted out before they began. It just kinda peters out.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Duncan does some schedule business in the new 1848 episode:
+4 more episodes for 1848 after this
+Miniseries on Paris Commune after that
+Next two main series will be Mexico and Russia
+Book 2 confirmed, along with more Rome and Revolution tours

I'm excited. I'd gotten sick of 1848 and it's refreshing to see what's coming. Russia is going to take all of 2019.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm interested in Mexico because it's something I know literally nothing about.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

CottonWolf posted:

Does anyone listen to the Moral Maze (which like In Our Time is just a podcast of the Radio 4 program)? I find it's a bit hit or miss, but every now and then you get a really good episode where all the witnesses drive the hosts mad and the hosts themselves tear each other apart in the sum-up section (or where you end up agreeing with a witness you thought you'd hate, but that's less "fun").

The latest one where Giles Fraser all but calls out half the hosts for anti-semitism for daring to discuss banning circumcision is particularly vitriolic.

I listened to "objectification of women", but the format is a bit too short. Like, everyone got to state his/her point of view, and then the show ended. BBC really should go the podcast route with some shows, two hours of this could be really productive.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I'm interested in Mexico because it's something I know literally nothing about.

Same. And Russia will be a hoot, so to speak.

I wonder if he'll ever get to the Iranian revolution?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Same. And Russia will be a hoot, so to speak.

I wonder if he'll ever get to the Iranian revolution?
He's said it's the last he plans to do.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.patreon.com/dancarlin

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

He has 33 patrons?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Snowy posted:

He has 33 patrons?

According to his twitter, he just made the account. He's up to 590 when I look at it.

His twitter also has another "addendum" episode, this time an interview with a general.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Got my Storm Before the Storm audible copy yeeeee

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at the host in the latest episode of Backstory getting super salty about someone comparing college sports to slavery

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This podcast seems solid
https://soundcloud.com/workingclasshistory/
Some interesting episodes

Right now I'm really enjoying Inward Empire. In a weird lowkey dark horse way I think it might be my favorite historical podcast in terms of lacking some of the weaknesses of some of his peers but retaining their strengths, it's not too dry, but it's also not dadtainment, and politically it's on point.
The last Pinkerton episode was fascinating and chilling and I look forward to the next part.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This podcast seems solid
https://soundcloud.com/workingclasshistory/
Some interesting episodes

Right now I'm really enjoying Inward Empire. In a weird lowkey dark horse way I think it might be my favorite historical podcast in terms of lacking some of the weaknesses of some of his peers but retaining their strengths, it's not too dry, but it's also not dadtainment, and politically it's on point.
The last Pinkerton episode was fascinating and chilling and I look forward to the next part.

I feel the same about Inward Empire, and after my first listen (the Pinkterton episode) I emailed the guy and said basically the same thing, namely not being a super-dry info dump like Duncan, or going way off into tangent world like Carlin.

I've listened now I think to all the episodes and the quality is generally high, though I found the topics boring in a couple. The Pinkteron episode, and the 2 parter about strikes are my favorites.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I've was blown away by his first episode, the sword of the wilderness. He's managed to knock it out of the park with every episode so far, and he focuses on the era in American history I find the most interesting. It was the first podcast I ever gave money to and I'll continue to proselytize about it until the day I die. It's just too bad it takes months to get an episode out.

Unrelated but inward empire is my favorite history podcast, when diplomacy fails takes the Cake by most improved. If you've only listened to the old episodes I'd recommend anyone here give a listen to one of the newer ones. Zach goes into so much more depth on the diplomatic front then any other podcast I've ever seen. Using primary sources and scholarly research as opposed to popular history books and his diplomacy focus gives his podcast a feel that no others have managed to capture.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone know if there are any podcasts that cover interesting topics in prehistory? The Cambrian explosion, a timeline of dinosaur life, early man's evolution and survival. Anything along those lines, really. A sort of History of Rome kind of look at any of the major eras of life on the planet. Everything I'm finding is more of a biological view of things than an historical look. While breaking down dinosaurs species by species is great, too, I'd love something more overarching and timeline-based.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 13, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone know if there's a decent history podcast that covers interesting topics in, well, prehistory? Precambrian, dinosaurs, early man... anything along those lines.

The only dinosaur podcasts I can find tend to speak more to individual species or are speaking more from a modern paleontological standpoint rather than a history standpoint.

Ehhh what do you mean by "dinosaurs from a history standpoint"? It kinda sounds like what you want is a historical novel sort of thing set in dinosaur times.

You might check out the Archaeology Podcast Network at https://www.archaeologypodcastnetwork.com/ to see if one of their various podcast series does what you want, especially for early man sort of stuff. And specifically https://www.archaeologypodcastnetwork.com/archyfantasies/ on there delves into a lot of prehistoric topics as part of investigating things like claims of powerful ancient races before historic humanity and so on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just edited for clarity, but that might give me a place to start, thanks!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
It's not a podcast, but The Ancestor's Tale audiobook sounds like it'd be right up your alley. People rightfully hack on Dawkins for being a gratingly smug dickhole about religion, but his actual pop sci writing is absolutely fantastic and Ancestor's Tale is his best in a long time. The general idea is that if you start from any extant species and walk back down the phylogeny to the beginning of life, what happens is that you meet progressively more distantly related groups of organisms at each bifurcation. He uses that device to "walk back" through time and talk about what our ancestors, and our world, would be like at that time. On the way it taps into some overarching conceptual stuff about how evolutionary biology works that he explains quite well.

If you just think Dawkins is too much of a dick to have your money, you can get it free with an Audible trial or something.

e: fuckin :lol: somebody put the whole drat thing on Youtube. I'd forgotten that it's co-read by him and some lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafbh84dVO0

FWIW the audiobook is only about half, or maybe even a third, of the content of the print book. The whole thing is worth a read if you're into this stuff.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 13, 2018

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Dawkins is a dick but I very much enjoyed that book.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That sounds very cool and definitely along the lines of what I was thinking, will definitely give it a listen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Dawkins is a dick but I very much enjoyed that book.

Right? A lot of his pop sci stuff is really good. By the standards of the popular press you'd think that Dawkins was famous because he's a great research biologist, but that's largely not true; he hasn't done any significant research in decades. The books that made him famous (The Selfish Gene, The Extended Phenotype, etc.) were almost entirely him explaining other people's work, not anything he'd actually done himself. For whatever other issues he may have, deep-dive pop sci is something he's actually really good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone know if there are any podcasts that cover interesting topics in prehistory? The Cambrian explosion, a timeline of dinosaur life, early man's evolution and survival. Anything along those lines, really. A sort of History of Rome kind of look at any of the major eras of life on the planet. Everything I'm finding is more of a biological view of things than an historical look. While breaking down dinosaurs species by species is great, too, I'd love something more overarching and timeline-based.

It's not a podcast but the Eons channel on YouTube focuses on some of what you're looking for.