Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not just that, but more in general every time I read “this series could never be adapted to SRW it’s too (something)” from someone who has played the series before I don’t even know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A better question is if it can be adapted well, in a way that makes sense and fits the setting of the game. There's some precedent for them loving that up really badly: Alpha 3's SEED implementation was horrid and Z3's Gargantia implementation was basically worthless filler.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The combat music had a great feeling of “we’ve really hosed up” though, which fits in well. Not the OP music though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

I see...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah to confirm with IBO, I don't doubt they can do "And Tekkaden survives, wins, bloodies Gjallarhorn's nose and all the other things you'd expect." I'm more interested in if they WILL do that, or if the game will end before that stuff happens, or how it will be rewritten.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I want SRW to adapt Bokurano.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Kanos posted:

A better question is if it can be adapted well, in a way that makes sense and fits the setting of the game. There's some precedent for them loving that up really badly: Alpha 3's SEED implementation was horrid and Z3's Gargantia implementation was basically worthless filler.

Thats not fair. Everything was worthless filler in z3

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechaX posted:

You beat Rustal and his faction up by saving Mika and Space Guts with your army of super robots.

And then in the intermission, Rustal is suddenly working with you because you're the winning side.

Iok stays dead.

Rustal's definitely the "desperate alliance of convenience" kind of villain, if the game goes in for that. If the game wants to work IBO into a wider plot, Gjallarhorn's infighting ending with alien invasions, returning killbots, and the like would be a good excuse to save Tekkadan.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe instead of a new multipart series they should just remake Z as three games that are coherent and balanced story-wise.
Part 1: break the world
Part 2: zodiac stuff
Part 3: post tech singularly emotion gods

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Make Suzune the main character of Z3.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Please remove HIbiki.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Caphi posted:

Make Suzune AG the main character of Z3.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe in OG they'll do the Reverse-Bullet and have Hibiki be the kidnapped love interest and support pilot with the fanservicey outfit.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I haven't found a translation for Z3. Exactly what is so bad about Hibiki?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MightyPretenders posted:

I haven't found a translation for Z3. Exactly what is so bad about Hibiki?

He's just this boring fucker who has a tragic past that everyone in Z-BLUE is like "oh he's so sad but so strong for living with it," every villain respects him nobly for being a complete cliche, he dicks the literal independent side out of his girlfriend (and that's a whole other thing), he gets the best specialest Sphere pretty much just for being there, he gets all these extra powers...

and on top of that his villains are basically the worst thing in SRW and Z3 is even more up their asses.

Goddammit I get mad about Ambriel every time it comes up.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 6, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Z and both Z2s were good, what the hell happened in Z3?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
SRW continuity.

Z2 wasn't the heights of Z1 but it was fine because it didn't get that full of itself. Granted, this wasn't all ideal (the thing with Gaioh went precisely nowhere, even if you write Limonesia off as being a one-game plotline), but it wasn't "surprise, the Heralds are responsible for literally all of history and everybody's backstory has secretly been the Heralds all along."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Weren't there supposed to be other Gaiohs? Why did they go with the emotions from Inside Out instead?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Wait, the character you choose as your main actually matters in the story?

I haven't finished SRWV with Soji (just recently got the the Evangelion storyline missions) yet, and I'll have to go back and play again as the other character?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I haven't finished SRWV with Soji (just recently got the the Evangelion storyline missions) yet, and I'll have to go back and play again as the other character?

It varies from game to game. I don't think it makes much difference at all in V, but it's huge in Alphas 2 and 3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Not that much in V, it only changes a little bit of stuff in cutscenes(Soji has a ton of scenes where people dunk on him, Chitose has a bunch of scenes where she's just kind of there). In older games sometimes you had a few completely different stages based on which character you started with.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They've already said that in X the plot is going to be generally the same. It'll probably be like V where the characters have slightly different backstories, personalities, and tone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

SRW debuts tend to play things aggressively close to the series though, right?
Not really. It varies from game to game. SEED Destiny debuted in Scramble Commander 2 and mostly stayed true to the plot, but ended with Shinn and Lunamaria joining the new version of the Preventers led by Wufei. Detonator Orgun also had a lot of its backstory in W reworked to include Tekkaman Blade content as part of Orgun's history. Nadesico: Prince of Darkness debuted in R, but it only takes up the first few stages of a route split you can choose to skip, and the rest of the game is doing everything you can to prevent the movie from happening. Lastly, you have New Getter Robo's debut in NEO, where it only covers the Seimei content and then never goes into the last 4 episodes of the show.

Going back a bit, as much as I'd like the original Gundam SEED to return, it does have two issues that would have to be addressed. You'd have to do some serious convincing to get Naomi Shindo to reprise her role of Cagalli, and judging by the fact he's practically stopped voice acting last I checked, you'd have to summon a fleet of dump trucks full of money to get Akira Sasanuma to return to voice Dearka. Then again, here I am, wanting stuff like Patlabor and Gun x Sword to be featured in good games and silly pipe dreams like having Star Trek Deep Space 9 in SRW.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also you have gargantia's debut in z3 where literally none of its plot happened

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Gargantia had like two plot points, but Z3 did both of them.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

There are 3 or 4 "unique" stages spread throughout the game that if you want 100% completion you'll have to do, but otherwise there's not much difference other than the aforementioned tone and personality of the main character. Two times, once with Soji and once with Chitose is the minimum number of playthroughs if you save at every split and load them back up to complete the scenario chart and you only have to do that with one of the characters because none of their unique ones are in splits. Z1 had major differences in the order you recruited people, but that was the last time the difference was really sizeable.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AradoBalanga posted:

Not really. It varies from game to game. SEED Destiny debuted in Scramble Commander 2 and mostly stayed true to the plot, but ended with Shinn and Lunamaria joining the new version of the Preventers led by Wufei.

Is Scramble Commander 2 the one where there's an addition made to the Destiny Plan to protect humanity from threats from outer space which is mass-cloning Sirocco and having the Sirocco-soldiers piloting mass-produced Macross?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/971404587373506560

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Maybe with that I could actually beat Great Battle 4. Last time I tried to play it, I came to a point in the side-scrolling part of the sky world where I couldn't figure out where to go next. But then, it was 5 years ago that I played any of it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Is Scramble Commander 2 the one where there's an addition made to the Destiny Plan to protect humanity from threats from outer space which is mass-cloning Sirocco and having the Sirocco-soldiers piloting mass-produced Macross?
That's the one.

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Video of the first stage of X is up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
On top of other things that have been desperately needed to improve the fun of the first few stages of most SRW games, I'm really tired of the giant maps with four enemies on them that the first 15 stages almost always are.

Every time I think about replaying a SRW game I have to brace myself for the fact that I'm just not going to enjoy the first several hours of playing the game at all and that's pretty bullshit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

On top of other things that have been desperately needed to improve the fun of the first few stages of most SRW games, I'm really tired of the giant maps with four enemies on them that the first 15 stages almost always are.

Every time I think about replaying a SRW game I have to brace myself for the fact that I'm just not going to enjoy the first several hours of playing the game at all and that's pretty bullshit.

For me the stages that are the worst are the early game ones where you are dealing with a full enemy load but you only have a couple units, at least one or two you just got so they aren't as useful as they could be, those ones are often annoying to play(the stage in V where you first get Great Mazinger and Black Getter is a prime example of this)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't mind the early stages of like MD or V for the most part, but there's always that one early game mission that wants you to bring enemies down to critical without killing them, which takes a lot of fun out of the NG+ curbstomp run.

I wish they'd limit that sort of thing to just secrets or whatever.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like the early stages because each individual unit stands out more. It doesn’t feel like I’m just controls a big murder ball moving across the map.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just got my copy of SRW V in the mail. What region of the PSN should I have an account for again if I want to access any DLC? I have a Hong Kong account kicking around somewhere from the PS3 days, would that have correct DLC or do I need to make a new one?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Policenaut posted:

I just got my copy of SRW V in the mail. What region of the PSN should I have an account for again if I want to access any DLC? I have a Hong Kong account kicking around somewhere from the PS3 days, would that have correct DLC or do I need to make a new one?

Looks like the Hong Kong PSN only has the Chinese language version up.

I know Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia have it in the English version.

Personally I used Singapore and it worked :shrug:

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 9, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, that's one question of mine confirmed - I was wondering if the protagonists would have different attack spells, and it looks like they don't, at least to start with. I figured they would since it seems like they're generally pretty similar, but I'm happy to be sure of it. Probably going to be another V thing where you pick an upgrade later on.

I also like that Wataru is the viewpoint protagonist who has to have everything explained to him by the OG at the beginning.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Singapore is the one you want.

Ethiser posted:

I like the early stages because each individual unit stands out more. It doesn’t feel like I’m just controls a big murder ball moving across the map.

Good early stages are the ones that are super tight mechanically because they know you're going to have X units that can do X things because you haven't had the opportunity for a bunch of upgrades so they can be tuned really well, compared to late game stages where the stage is just super easy with all your strong boys because its tuned for the possibility of 0 upgrades on a particular critical unit and you might deploy any of hundreds of combinations of units instead of "you have these 5 exact guys".

Dark Prison and the section immediately after La Gias in 2ndOGs is really good for it, each SR point is a neat puzzle with multiple solutions that works because they know exactly what pieces you're bringing to the table. The Shu speech stage in 2ndOGs is great because its like a good puzzle robo stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

Dark Prison and the section immediately after La Gias in 2ndOGs is really good for it, each SR point is a neat puzzle with multiple solutions that works because they know exactly what pieces you're bringing to the table. The Shu speech stage in 2ndOGs is great because its like a good puzzle robo stage.

Except stage 18. gently caress that stage forever and always.

• Locked thread