Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theres no way hq2 was ever going to be west of the rockies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

flakeloaf posted:

wait a furlong is 200 metres

what the gently caress kind of animal are you skinning

it was my one-eyed weasel, op (another victim of male genital mutilation)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it was my one-eyed weasel, op (another victim of male genital mutilation)

the one pica people are not willing to put in their mouths

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

Alternately it's 20 standard rolls of pennies. 4x5, about the size of a lantern battery.

I can't picture a million people though, no. Ten large stadiums-full, I guess?

it’s easy, picture a 32×32 grid of 32×32 grids of people, like troops in formation on a parade ground

that’s a mebiperson

make the front row of each 32×32 grid of people only have 8 people in it rather than 32, like officers standing in front of their troops, and only have 8 grids in the first row of the supergrid

that’s a megaperson

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
now drop a nuke in the center of that grid

that’s a megadeath

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FrozenVent posted:

now drop a nuke in the center of that grid

that’s a :megadeath:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im the neighborhood character

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Inc/status/972101626810044416

i'm not quoting anything outta that shitass article except that the writer's name has "poon" in it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
poo on tip

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that dude is a loving sociopath and i will gladly hit him with a street sign

quote:

The beautiful thing about technology is the way it enables us to do our jobs and live our lives at the same time (as long as company policy allows for it and bosses don't exploit it). Being able to work from home -- or anywhere -- when needed means we can travel more, spend time with the people we love and easily tend to personal matters. It also means we can stay in touch with our family and friends when we're away from work. FaceTime changed my life because it truly makes me feel like I can be with my family when I'm traveling for work.

quote:

Some of my best work-related ideas have come to me while watching a basketball game, visiting a museum, seeing a play or meeting someone new during vacation.

quote:

While technology has its challenges, I for one am grateful for the way it has blurred boundaries, ultimately helping me and my team feel more connected and inspired in both our work and our lives.

Just be rich and travel the loving world, you piece of garbage

quote:

Thirty years of wandering into new communities and living (even briefly) like a local have taught me that the awesome power of travel for energy and learning is endless.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol what a load of poo poo, work harder you fuckers. you should be working while on vacation because what's the point of living if you aren't making someone else rich

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this dude has absolutely participated in Holi and expensed his lunch immediately afterwards

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
By Bruce Poon Tip
Founder, G Adventures

lol it's a travel company no wonder he's workin his rear end off

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

l m a o

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
THE BIGGEST STREET SIGN I CAN FIND

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:negative:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/Inc/status/972101626810044416

i'm not quoting anything outta that shitass article except that the writer's name has "poon" in it

ah yes the 30-40-something+ year old version of the college senior chick who just got back from a study abroad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

ah yes the 30-40-something+ year old version of the college senior chick who just got back from a study abroad

on a recent flight i sat next to a gap year kid coming back from 4 months in India and became perilously ill for a whole week

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelbatnick/status/972177158561988608

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

on a recent flight i sat next to a gap year kid coming back from 4 months in India and became perilously ill for a whole week
goondolences lol

i sometimes think it would be cool to go but nope

(also have no money)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

not a bubble

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

flakeloaf posted:

the one pica people are not willing to put in their mouths

:eyepop:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvFSS1OmVo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
only travel related, but air norwegian has really cheap flights out of oakland for like $200. has anyone flown them and is the 787 actually a lot more comfortable to fly internationally? i heard humidity or somethingi s better so you dont get dried out nose/throat and face

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/2/14/17012606/laundromat-2918-mission-delay-historic-ronen

quote:

Laundry is a waiting game, and now the the owner of the Wash Land laundromat at 2918 Mission will have to wait even longer to find out if he can raze the circa-1924 building in favor of a 75-unit housing development, after the Board of Supervisors put off a vote on the project to determine whether or not the facility is historically significant.

The housing proposal, in the works since 2014 and approved by the Planning Commission in December, invokes California’s state density bonus law to go over and above the zoning for the block.

The plan as of Tuesday’s hearing is as follows:

To demolish a 5,200 square-foot, single-story, approximately 15- foot-tall commercial building and to construct an eight-story, 84-foot, 8-inch-tall 67,314 square foot mixed-use building with 75 dwelling units and 6,724 sq. ft. of ground floor retail.

[...] Under the State Law, a housing development that includes affordable housing is entitled to additional density, concessions and incentives, and waivers from development standards that might otherwise preclude the construction.

The site is just a block away from the 24th Street BART station. The developer and property owner says the laundromat is a money loser in today’s Mission, noting that the building and parking lot are more valuable as new development.

MissionLocal called the project a “no-brainer” in 2017, but it has since faced a marathon of delays, largely because some neighbors call it too large and bulky for the neighborhood (criticisms with which some planning commissioners agreed), while groups like the Mission Economic Development Agency criticized it for not including enough affordable housing.

Mission resident Anthony Martorana complained in a letter to the Board of Supervisors this week:

This project does not take into consideration the people of the neighborhood . It is a rectangular box 84-foot-tall looking over the children’s school, casting shades and eliminating views from adjoining properties. The planning code states to grant a conditional use the’ project is necessary, desirable and compatible with the neighborhood. This project has none of the above.

Tuesday’s hearing might have been the final hurdle for the new building, but Supervisor Hillary Ronen, citing an appeal, scuttled the decision until at least early summer.

“With the support of both the appellant and the project sponsor [...] the continuance will allow for the project to be further evaluated to determine its potential significance as a historic resource,” said Ronen.

“We do not know for certain how long that will take, but my best guess is about four to five months,” she added, pushing the next hearing to June 19.

Nobody spoke up during public comment on the continuance, and the motion passed unanimously.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

hobbesmaster posted:

theres no way hq2 was ever going to be west of the rockies

is hq2 the thing where its really an Amazon City and you get paid in Amazon Bucks to spend and live through Amazon? or did i dream that up and thats still like 10 years away from becoming reality

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alpha Mayo posted:

is hq2 the thing where its really an Amazon City and you get paid in Amazon Bucks to spend and live through Amazon? or did i dream that up and thats still like 10 years away from becoming reality

hq2 is not going to be a company town (barely, by the letter of the law) although it will have a huge effect on the local economy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

hq2 is not going to be a company town (barely, by the letter of the law) although it will have a huge effect on the local economy

isn't it between nyc and dc now, basically?

both are big enough for amazon to merely be a big effect

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isn't it between nyc and dc now, basically?

both are big enough for amazon to merely be a big effect

amazon bought a ton of office space in NYC before this all started - HQ2 is probably going there

NYC hasn't really bothered giving them any incentives either

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hobbesmaster posted:

amazon bought a ton of office space in NYC before this all started - HQ2 is probably going there

Not going to lie, if they came out and specifically said "We picked this city because they didn't offer absolutely stupid incentives" I would gain significant respect for Jeff and Amazon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hint: the USD is Amazon Bucks in your metaphor

i am sure they'll cut all sorts of sweetheart deals so that if you live in Amazon Dorms and drive an Amazon Car you get a 5% discount or w/e

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

my brother studied architecture at CEPT in Ahmedabad for a semester, then went to nepal for an internship during summer, then came back with MRSA

now he's gone to israel (for birthright, and then doing a project for an award thing he won) and arrived in the golan heights just in time to run to a bomb shelter when they took out that iranian drone and got one of their jets shot out of the sky

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 9, 2018

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
why the gently caress is san francisco still allowing construction of new office space

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

atomicthumbs posted:

why the gently caress is san francisco still allowing construction of new office space

F@!#*! YOU FRESHSALES

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah it's gonna be nyc or dc

*extremely* long shot pittsburgh or austin but i highly highly doubt it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

nyc will be a major amazon office location whether or not hq2 goes there

it's just too big a labor market to ignore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah it's gonna be nyc or dc

*extremely* long shot pittsburgh or austin but i highly highly doubt it

what makes you think nyc or dc as opposed to, say, atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU