Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

I really wish the Flock of Bats had the Batman Family keyword, but I guess I understand why they don't. Maybe at least give them the 'they don't break theme as long as you have someone named 'Batman' on your force'.

The new rules actually reclassified them (along with all the other no-dial 3D figures) as bystanders, so even though they have keywords, they don't break theme teams any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
So I went with a swarmy Hydravengers team for the size event. Figured lots of actions and defense reducers were the way to go.

TMT Non Colossal Ms. Marvel
Shifting Focus AVDFW Black Panther
Shifting Focus AVDFW Wasp
Shifting Focus AVDFW Vision
TMT Jane Foster
OP Kit Dr. Voodoo
Dr. Strange, Earth’s Guardian
Chase Hawkguy
Hydracap

Round 1versus JLA

300 point Manhunter
Vixen
Dr. Light Prime

I chose the train yard. Got an early shot on MM with Hawkeye but missed, he got scared and ran pushing to do so. Got my outwitters in range and killed his senses and shape change and hit him to a charge 10av click. Vixen came in to flurry but got carved up by vision and Panther who shifted to close combat. Dr light got tagged off RS by Cap and MM died to a Strange bcf exploit hit after he ko’ Ms. Marvel when I probbed a hit into a crit hit.

Dr Light ran a ton but I chased him down as time was called

Round 2 versus X-Men
Headmaster Wolverine
The white Magneto who can give ESD
Surge
Broo
Gateway
4? Students

Wolverine and M ID cards

I won map and chose the park on the other side of the train yard. We got set up with him esding Wolverine and moving down a bit, My Hawkeye then got his range perplexed up and just hit everything on his team with trick arrows. Killed all the students, rolled doubles to knock back gateway from carrying tagged everyone except Broo. He was then killed hard by Wolverine who then melted under combined fire from the rest of the team. Magneto and Broo fell afterwards, Broo called in M before being KO’d but she was also KO’d for bonus points. Opponent then conceded.

Round 3 versus Avengers
Cho Hulk
Super leadership cap from AVDFW.
Same wasp and same vision
What if Thor with mega EE
Same Ms Marvel

Hawkeye again tagged the world before dying which really neutered Wasp and vision. Black Panther moved up to kill the outwit on Cho Hulk. He ko’d Hawkeye and BP but cho Hulk fell to multiple payblasts on my team. Thor missed a big EE and fell. His marvel KO’d mine before doc fired his ultimate and finished her off. With super prob on the board and most of his hitters dead he conceded.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Doubleposting for previews from Toyfair

The gallery below has an Ego Prime and Shield Flying car plus Pixelated turtles and some BTAS as well as letting you know how utterly massive a brick of Avengers:Infinity is going to be:
http://www.figures.com/galleries/wppaspec/oc1/cv0/ab479

Booster box art confirms living tribunal in set too.

An amazing picture of Eternity.

More pictures as well below:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2018/02/18/wanna-see-eternity-from-the-avengers-infinity-heroclix-set-here-he-is/

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Man. It's never a good time to be broke as poo poo, but this entire year is an even worse time HeroClix-buying-wise. Who's the colossal cave-hobo?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Red posted:

I really wish the Flock of Bats had the Batman Family keyword, but I guess I understand why they don't. Maybe at least give them the 'they don't break theme as long as you have someone named 'Batman' on your force'.

Fun fact! Under the new rules, Flocks of Bats qualify as Bystanders (page 33 of the rule book, they're on a small base with printed stats and no clix base), so you can run them on a Batman team til your heart's content!

ManiacClown posted:

Man. It's never a good time to be broke as poo poo, but this entire year is an even worse time HeroClix-buying-wise. Who's the colossal cave-hobo?

Ego Prime apparently, when a living planet incarnated himself as the Christian God wearing denim cutoffs

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 20, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Has there ever been a ruling on when the Mxyzptlk (and I guess by extension Trelane) die result replacement happens? Can you still Prob after it or does it happen after the roll result has finally been determined? For example, I hit with a 1 and 6. My opponent decides to replace the 6 with a 1. Can I then Prob the roll so it's not snake eyes, or can he only do that once the roll is otherwise finalized? I tried asking Wizkids but like many questions they've completely ignored it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

You can reroll after they replace it. It doesn’t make the roll non re rollable

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

And another double post. Some of the WKO prizes are being spoiled.

Here is Lockjaw with the Infinity Collar. He is hilarious.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8989760&postcount=1

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

All right, I think I've come up with a better team to beat Mr. Low-effort. I mainly want to hand him his rear end for always playing the same thing while making it plain to him as he sees what I use that it makes him easy to beat if someone tries so that he'll MAYBE try something different. I mean, he's the only other guy I can count on to show anymore and it's getting boring always facing OP kit Dormammu, OP kit Doctor Strange, Tiamat, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and whatever else the format will allow (usually Splitlip and the Book). To that end, I've built this Avengers team that'll maybe beat the poo poo out of his key support pieces while I pound on his tentpoles with Avengers Prime. The only parts of it I'm unsure about are 185-point Chaos War brick Vision— on because of his +2 Defense against characters with the Armor keyword (read: Tiamat) even if only for the front half of his dial— and Doctor Strange, whose points I can't help but think I could make better use of. Strange gives good Prob, sure, but I'd think I could get some cheaper support and throw in SI Iron Fist, who I think could devastate with the Bloodaxe. The Ant-Man is there so I can make Avengers Prime a giant when it has no action tokens so I can surprise Trio Attack a motherfucker he thinks he's hidden. I only have two Leadership characters (Falcon and Namor) who can pull tokens from them, which is some of the extra support I'd think I could use so if I get lucky enough I can keep Trio Attacking multiple turns in a row.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone can make. I almost completely missed ADW but for the Fast Forces (I do have main set Jessica Jones) but I did manage to get a good amount of The Mighty Thor, including the Thunderstrike I've got in the build. Again, the format is 1,800-point Golden Age Limited (Action Total of 8), with no figures bigger than peanut-based and no non-character elements except ATAs and non-relic special objects.
pre:
CW060	Avengers Prime	400
TMT062	Thunderstrike	115
WKM15-011 Doctor	150
	Strange
AOU003	Ant-Man*	100
AVAS040	Sandman		140
DP202	Daredevil	100
AVX008	Professor X	150
SW022	Sharon Carter	45
CW100	Vision		185
ASM008	Doctor Druid	104
FFCW006	Scarlet Witch	75
SI045	Namor		150
SN018	Mockingbird	34
WKM17-007 Falcon	50
----------------------------
		Total:	1798
		Theme: Avengers

*and appropriate replacements

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

pre:
CW060	Avengers Prime	400
TMT062	Thunderstrike	115
WKM15-011 Doctor	150
	Strange
AOU003	Ant-Man*	100
AVAS040	Sandman		140
DP202	Daredevil	100
AVX008	Professor X	150
SW022	Sharon Carter	45
CW100	Vision		185
ASM008	Doctor Druid	104
FFCW006	Scarlet Witch	75
SI045	Namor		150
SN018	Mockingbird	34
WKM17-007 Falcon	50
----------------------------
		Total:	1798
		Theme: Avengers

*and appropriate replacements

So it looks like what you are going up against is going to be a shitload of mystics and alpha strike and to be honest I'm not a super fan of your team. You have no way to mitigate any of the mystics damage you're going to take and some of your character choices I find odd or less then ideal.

Here's some suggestions. Drop Ant-Man to 50 if you are just planning on playing Ant games with him. Dr Druid is a pile of hot steaming garbage that has no place on an avengers murder squad. I'd also drop Daredevil as he's got all the PC so who cares about outwit. Sharon Carter I can see some value, but Tiamat don't give 2 fucks about stealth. Sandman also seems like there's better options. I really don't like that Vision either.

So suggestions.

1. Add Jane Foster so you have more healing besides Dr. Strange
2. Look at UXM 054 Quicksilver and (If you have one) one of the blades granting weapons from TMT. Baldur's Sword will work just fine and is easier to get but Dragonfang would be best.
3. I know you said you mostly skipped AVDFW, but if you could I'd look at nabbing 011 Captain America for his super leadership. You are going to want someone to take tokens off Avengers Prime. Theres also a wasp that can add an extra action to your team on top of the 1 leadership already grants so maybe her too?
4. Instead of CWFF Witch, try to get the AVX one. I know she's pricier but one "No More Power Cosmic" could really shift things for you and at 100 points she immediately becomes uber support after taking that DPA
5. Look at WI 005 Thor. His trait where damage can't be reduced below click number can do a number of figures with lots of DR. Since it's not penetrating it also gets around Invincible sort of.

I'm going to stop here because more of my suggestions usually become "More avengers from AVDFW" cause while that set did bring on Avengers Fatigue, there are alot of really good low point options to get the swarm going and swarm is my advice against a team that just plays a couple of tentpoles.

Morand fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 22, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

All right, I think I've come up with a better team to beat Mr. Low-effort. I mainly want to hand him his rear end for always playing the same thing while making it plain to him as he sees what I use that it makes him easy to beat if someone tries so that he'll MAYBE try something different. I mean, he's the only other guy I can count on to show anymore and it's getting boring always facing OP kit Dormammu, OP kit Doctor Strange, Tiamat, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and whatever else the format will allow (usually Splitlip and the Book).
If he wants to lean on the Mystics TA and Book of the Skull like crutches, I suggest kicking his crutch out.

Pieces that gently caress Mystics: Thorbuster, Jimmy Woo (if you play a SHIELD swarm), GG Dormammu, Templar Oliver Queen, CWFF Scarlet Witch
Pieces that gently caress Equipment: TMNT3 Leonardo, Earth X Captain America, Bedlam, LE Firestorm, Sersi, Disintegration Beam, M10 Iron Man, JLTW Firestorm, Gluttony, D10 Catwoman

And just throw White Witch or the GL Battery on there on general principles, if he wants to play silly games with free actions then see how he likes it when you take his free actions away. Oh, and if you have him, Balls of Fury is a classic for a reason. He likes tentpoles. He likes the funny squeaking noises they make with a bullet in the throat.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CapnAndy posted:

Pieces that gently caress Mystics:

How does the prime Baron Blood play?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm a big X-nerd and got two cases of Xavier's School which I finally got to open today: two chase Iceman, prime Emma, Magneto & Moira, two each of Wolverine, Cyclops, and Gateway, one of every other SR except Magik, regular Emma, and the title characters, and nearly two full CURs. I haven't had such ridiculous luck with a set since Arkham Asylum I think. Definitely worth the price paid for me, plus I forgot how fun it is to break open a big case or two of boosters.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Last night was the 1,800-point event, but we only did one round with two individual matches. Mine played for the Wolverine and X-23 duo and the other played for Cosmic Spider-Man. I didn't actually play the guy who I expected to, but I did play in what I'm sure was a much more fun game than it would have been to play against OP Dormammu, OP Doctor Strange, Tiamat, Destiny, V Johnny, Alpha, and seven GSX Mindless Ones. That would have been over pretty fast, I think, even with taking Mystics sting from the Mindless Ones. I'll give a big thanks to Morand for his assistance in building. My build was as follows, although I forgot Professor X on the shelf at home so I decided to use the Secret Avengers ATA to fill points, I could have put Ant-Man up to full, but I forgot to do that before the start of the match. Whoops!
pre:
CW#060	Avengers Prime	400
TMT#062	Thunderstrike	115
AVX#008	Professor X	150
CW#022	Sharon Carter	45
SI#045	Namor		150
SN#018	Mockingbird	34
WK#M17-007 Falcon	50
AVX#006e Scarlet Witch	100
AOU#003r Ant-Man	50
CW#010	Donald Blake	33
SI#033	Dr. Strange	149
AAOU#008 Hulk		300
ADW#038	Jessica Jones	15
AOU#045	Black Panther	140
ADW#006	Vision		50
TMT#S001 Bloodaxe	10
TMT#S019 Bladed Hammer	4
IC#S002	Office Desk	0
My opponent ran DKR Superman, con LE Doomsday, two Bat-Knights, Bombshell Zatanna, Darwin, Trinity War Batman, chase Hawkeye, NFAOS Hulk, chase Daredevil, Pirate Deadpool, Green Lantern: God of Light, title character Thor, and Old Man Logan with a couple Hand Ninjas on the sideline for Daredevil to call in. I automatically won map roll so I went on Black Mercy (for Sharon's Stealth-granting) and moved everyone up just enough to bring him out after calling No More Batman Ally with him failing all three rolls. I'd carried Namor up with Black Panther by having Ant-Man make him tiny. I copied SHIELD with my wildcards, which I declared Marvel Knights as. He moved GL:GoL out to bust Stealth and then had Thor HSS Namor. He missed after a Prob, having to stay there because he'd overextended himself. He moved everyone else out and it went over to me.

I had Hulk Charge on Superman and knock him down off Invincible. He chose to give Hulk and Anger token. I had Namor Charge GL and knock him down a bit with his first Flurry attack, then he hit Thor off Invincible with the second attack. I moved more people up and rested. He then whaled on Hulk with Superman, Zatanna, his own Hulk, and I think a Bat-Knight, so Hulk got four more tokens. I didn't like him having PsyBlast or Batman's bag of tricks, so with the help of the SHIELD TA I triple-Perplexed Avengers Prime's damage and Trio Attacked Thor, Batman, and Zatanna into oblivion. The back-and-forth included these highlights, with me using Dr. Strange for pretty much double-shot Incap duty, primarily on Doomsday but also on Superman when he was still up:
  • Hawkeye kept plinking people until he finally missed his fourth attack.
  • Hulk removed all six Anger token when using Regeneration and rolled a four, so he healed five clicks.
  • Namor Charged in to Flurry Superman and missed once but hit the second time, knocking him onto Toughness. Thunderstrike followed up to polish him off.
  • I made a couple more Duo Attacks with AP to finish off a Bat-Knight and GL:GoL once and Hawkeye and his Impervious-outwitted Hulk on the next.
  • Thunderstrike critted the Stormbreaker-equipped Pirate Deadpool. Every hit I made with Thunderstrike where the Force Blast would have mattered for him healing was doubles anyway.
  • I kept whittling Doomsday down with Black Panther who just couldn't miss. Once BP was rolling against a 22 Defense after the Adapted tokens he'd amassed and I rolled an 11.
  • Falcon ended up taking over Doomsday duty and I had him on his last couple clicks.
  • Falcon KOed Daredevil— who'd pushed— by critting him into blocking, which was exactly enough to do him in.
  • He attacked critically-wounded Black Panther with Daredevil, who had Precision Strike. I needed a 6 to evade and got it.
He saw the writing on the wall when Doomsday was on his last click and Strange hit him with Incap, so he just placed Doomsday next to AP, who finished him off the next turn. I ended the game by using Trio Attack on the sad, lone Hand Ninja. That was pretty fun. My dice were absolutely on fire and his were only average, but it was a good game where I really got to let loose. We agreed that the Damage Depletion Modifier should have remained A Thing™ with Avengers Prime being able to deal such insane amounts of damage in one turn.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone play in a WKO over the weekend? Any fun stories?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Anyone play in a WKO over the weekend? Any fun stories?

Running ours this Saturday. Sealed all the way... we'll see how it goes.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

Running ours this Saturday. Sealed all the way... we'll see how it goes.

Ours was sealed too. A Headmaster Wolverine/Mystique/Hellion squad won. There was something else on his team that I can't recall. It was basically all wolverine all the time

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I was tempted to check out ours but it was constructed and I've lost my taste for 300 Modern. If it was sealed I'd have been there in a heartbeat. I saw Thor Odinson/Sam Cap with a X-Men Teleported won one and a Weird team won another, I appreciate the wide variety of teams performing well this year.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sanschel posted:

I was tempted to check out ours but it was constructed and I've lost my taste for 300 Modern. If it was sealed I'd have been there in a heartbeat. I saw Thor Odinson/Sam Cap with a X-Men Teleported won one and a Weird team won another, I appreciate the wide variety of teams performing well this year.

I know what you mean about losing your taste for 300 Modern. That's what pretty much killed our venue. Three of us were talking this weekend and we're the only ones who can show up semi-reliably. Most everyone else has quit except for the two competitive-class players and the one of them who went HAM every week killed the other venue in town. With ours, two months where half the events were 300 Modern preparing for ROC States showed the people who decided they wanted to be competitive that they couldn't hang in the face of the other two guys and the casual players threw up their hands in the face of the Pym tank and other assorted jank. One would-be competitive player even quit, saying "It's just not fun anymore." Would you guys say that Wizkids is now designing sets around competitive play rather than designing them to be enjoyable all-around, where they now center on the mechanics of what's coming out rather than the characters themselves? I think that's a lot of what's killed off attendance— it's all about the next broken-rear end thing.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 6, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Would you guys say that Wizkids is now designing sets around competitive play rather than designing them to be enjoyable all-around, where they now center on the mechanics of what's coming out rather than the characters themselves? I think that's a lot of what's killed off attendance— it's all about the next broken-rear end thing.
I think your venues are. If you're sick of 300 Modern I don't blame you, but the solution is really easy: don't play 300 Modern. Do something else. 500 Golden Age, and at least one character has to be a cowboy. There, you can have that for free.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think they're doing better now than they were say... two or three years ago. I must admit, there was a period in Clix where my eyes kinda crossed whenever I would read some of the battles you guys had with everyone using a different resource/possessor or every figure on the Units section on the realms had the "this is great with Book of the Skull/Lantern Battery/Utility Belt". Some of that was longer than 3 years ago but they were still making some of that stuff in 2015/16 I think. I will agree that the sets seem more balanced for themselves rather than as part of a cohesive game though.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I think your venues are. If you're sick of 300 Modern I don't blame you, but the solution is really easy: don't play 300 Modern. Do something else. 500 Golden Age, and at least one character has to be a cowboy. There, you can have that for free.

Certainly. Now that our venue isn't selling enough Clix to order enough product to get OP kits, I think we're going to be running a lot more casually and I think the head Judge will be open to more different formats. For example, I suggested Class Warfare, where your entire force has to be all one rarity, with starter/Fast Forces/other non-blind buy figures considered a "fixed" rarity, maybe giving a +1 to Attack value for each step in rarity difference between the attacker and the target. I also suggested We're All In This Together, where your force has to have at least four characters and each must be of a different rarity. I have no idea if he'll bite, though, because I don't think he likes running anything that isn't [POINTS] [AGE]. The other one, though, is more open to running wacky poo poo. I need to think of more things that are just out there so that if some of us get together to play casually— and maybe attract people back to the game because we're not using jank—we can just go nuts with whatever like I decided to do after I saw our attendance circling the drain.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Keeping a venue from getting cheesy and driving away the 'fun' players can be a struggle. I've been waging that battle for years. Staying away from non-standard events is a big key. Vary build totals, and have various build restrictions or scenarios. I only run 300 Modern once a year, right before Worlds, and even that is a handicap format... if you're going to Worlds, you get 300 Modern. If you aren't, you get 400 Silver. That, and my casual players are an outspoken bunch, so they let the cheese players know if they go too far in ruining someone's fun. Might do the Spring WKO with 300 Modern for the top 8, since that will be close enough to World's to let people get some practice.

Speaking of, got together with my cheese players last night, and we had our first World's practice session of the year. It's impressive how wide-open the field of potential teams seems, this year. Lots of builds floating around, but nothing really shining yet, and it's pretty frustrating how most everything is one bad roll away from losing to the Uni-Mind. Still hate that they brought ID cards back, and really hate how they changed the rules to make them better. Looking forward to seeing how things shake out, going forward.

ManiacClown posted:

For example, I suggested Class Warfare, where your entire force has to be all one rarity, with starter/Fast Forces/other non-blind buy figures considered a "fixed" rarity, maybe giving a +1 to Attack value for each step in rarity difference between the attacker and the target.

Ooh, Class Warfare! That's a card in my Joker's Wild deck. As you say, +1 attack for every step in rarity difference, and then shifting over to damage bonuses if you max out the attack bonuses.

I've got no shortage of wacky bullshit scenarios, if you want ideas. This week is 1,000 points, at the beginning of the game, each player picks a friendly and an opposing character, and the chosen characters get random relics or equipment, and if they're KO'd, the character that KO'd them gets them (ignoring the '1 equipment per character' rule).

Torrent fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 6, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

Ooh, Class Warfare! That's a card in my Joker's Wild deck. As you say, +1 attack for every step in rarity difference, and then shifting over to damage bonuses if you max out the attack bonuses.

I've got no shortage of wacky bullshit scenarios, if you want ideas. This week is 1,000 points, at the beginning of the game, each player picks a friendly and an opposing character, and the chosen characters get random relics or equipment, and if they're KO'd, the character that KO'd them gets them (ignoring the '1 equipment per character' rule).

Man, lay all the ideas you've got on me. In fact, I should start have started a Google doc* for them. With Class Warfare, how do you handle the bonus for fixed-rarity characters?

*Anyone with the link can comment.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 6, 2018

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
We're doing an Ides of March event this week at our venue. (We only meet every other week). 600 points golden, number your characters 1-6 and play normally. On turn 3, you roll a d6 and that's the figure that betrays your opponent's force, and then your opponent does the same on their turn. It's a pretty fun event we've ran for a few years now.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

DaMangoSentinel posted:

We're doing an Ides of March event this week at our venue. (We only meet every other week). 600 points golden, number your characters 1-6 and play normally. On turn 3, you roll a d6 and that's the figure that betrays your opponent's force, and then your opponent does the same on their turn. It's a pretty fun event we've ran for a few years now.

I’ve played this before, too. Trust me, if you try to game the system and build a tentpole/5 generic team, invariably your tent pole will betray you.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?

Steve Vader posted:

I’ve played this before, too. Trust me, if you try to game the system and build a tentpole/5 generic team, invariably your tent pole will betray you.

For sure. It's a format that will end up punishing you if you try to get greedy.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

DaMangoSentinel posted:

I kind of want to suggest this as an event to run at my venue.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Man, lay all the ideas you've got on me. In fact, I should start have started a Google doc* for them. With Class Warfare, how do you handle the bonus for fixed-rarity characters?

*Anyone with the link can comment.

The text on the Class Warfare card is:
When this character attacks, modify its attack value by +1 for each step its rarity is away from its target’s rarity. Once its attack value exceeds +3 due to this effect, begin modifying the damage value.
Ultra-Chase
Con LE
Chase
Super Rare*
LE
Starter/Fast Forces/Super Booster
Rare*
Uncommon*
Common*
*Prime status increases rank by 1 step

Off the top of my head, scenarios that people tend to like:

Widdle Cwix - build six 200-point teams, and play as many games as you can in the time limit. No KO points, each victory is worth 1 point. Best played on smaller maps.

Magnificent Seven - bring 7 figures (no base above peanut no points above 400). 4 actions per turn, each KO is worth 1 point. For variety, I sometimes add a True Highlander rule, which changes it up to bring 10 figures, field 7. If you and your opponent have the same character (by secret identity, not figure number), neither of you can play them, and you both replace from your sideline.

Royal Rumble (described a couple pages back)

Pot Luck - usually go 400 points. At beginning of the event, and before each tournament round, all the teams are laid out for all to see. A random order is assigned, and you pick what you want to play. Can't pick your own team, or one that you've already picked.

Snake Draft - similar to Pot Luck. Bring 1 figure in four categories (1-50, 51-100, 101-150, 151-200). Set all the figures out, get a snake draft order, and everybody picks from the highest-point category available until everyone has a team of 4.

Mirror Match - bring 2 identical teams, pass one to your opponent and make a combined team from what you brought and what you got.

Events that require some props:

Rings of the Mandarin - probably my favorite event, and how I learned the PAC. Before the start of each game, choose 4 figures, one for each combat slot, and then draw from a box of colored rings (I've got 4 rings for each PAC color). That character can use the power of their chosen slot/color for that game. If they get a white ring, they can't use any powers for that slot.

Super Power Scramble - need a poster with spots on it for each PAC color. Before the start of each tournament round, go down the poster and pull a colored marker for each spot, and the listed color changes to the pulled color. For example, if pulling on the grey spot, you get purple, Running Shot becomes Force Blast, TK becomes Smoke Cloud, etc. Also have '+1 and...' and '+2 and...' markers that can be pulled, to increase combat values when showing the listed colors.

Power Outage - every so often (usually go about every 7 minutes), the judge rolls a PAC d20 and turns off whatever shows up, be it a color, or all attack powers, or all Improved abilities, or whatever. In game 1, just one power is out at a time. In game 2, it's 2 out at a time. In game 3, it just keeps stacking. Rolling a crit miss lets you choose one power that's off to replace with a fresh roll for your map. At halfway through the round, I tend to do a power surge, and everybody gets to use all the powers that show up on a roll, until the next outage. Nothing hard and fast, just mix it up with the theme.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Huh... World's isn't going to be at Origins, this year. It is 'to be held at an east coast convention in the fall.' Got a bunch of guys who were going to Origins with me that aren't happy about this. WizKids just can't resist screwing with their convention schedule... between this, and them not planning on doing events at Gen-Con this year, there's bound to be plenty of unhappy players.

On the plus side, some con LEs announced:

For the first time ever, HeroClix players will have the opportunity to win:

Marvel HeroClix: Daredevil Prize Figure
DC HeroClix: Kingdom Come Orion Prize Figure
DC HeroClix: Bombshells Hawlgirl Prize Figure
Marvel HeroClix: Banshee ID Card
Marvel HeroClix: Psylocke ID Card
DC Comics HeroClix: Mr. Freeze ID Card
DC Comics HeroClix: Poison Ivy ID Card

On top of that, HeroClix players will now be able to purchase:

Marvel HeroClix: The Blackbird For Sale Set
DC HeroClix: Batman Commissioner Gordon For Sale Figure
Star Trek HeroClix Away Team: Kirk and Uhura For Sale Figure

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

Huh... World's isn't going to be at Origins, this year. It is 'to be held at an east coast convention in the fall.'
What?

quote:

them not planning on doing events at Gen-Con this year
GODDAMMIT WHAT?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2018/03/09/2018-wizkids-national-world-championships/

CapnAndy posted:

GODDAMMIT WHAT?

There's no official announcement on that one yet, so there's still hope. But, last I checked with the volunteer coordinator, Gen-Con wants to put our events on the football field again, and WizKids doesn't want that, since being so far away cut our attendance just about in half from where it usually is (although, you know, having skipped Gen-Con for a couple years previously might have also had something to do with that). So, the WK plan is to have a booth to sell stuff, but not to run events.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

There's no official announcement on that one yet, so there's still hope. But, last I checked with the volunteer coordinator, Gen-Con wants to put our events on the football field again, and WizKids doesn't want that, since being so far away cut our attendance just about in half from where it usually is (although, you know, having skipped Gen-Con for a couple years previously might have also had something to do with that). So, the WK plan is to have a booth to sell stuff, but not to run events.
I mean yeah, it was a ghost town, but I agree with you that skipping GenCon probably hurt more than being a short walk away. Make them at least run BRs goddammit.

Also early buzz is PAX Unplugged for Worlds, mostly because nobody can think of any other convention held on the east coast in fall.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I'll ask the obvious question. What did Origins do that made WizKids decide to jump ship from that being their site for Worlds? I swear, they need dense metal boots because they seem to be unable to not shoot themselves in the foot these days.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Torrent posted:

On the plus side, some con LEs announced:

For the first time ever, HeroClix players will have the opportunity to win:

DC HeroClix: Bombshells Hawlgirl Prize Figure

DC Comics HeroClix: Mr. Freeze ID Card
DC Comics HeroClix: Poison Ivy ID Card

Oh God Dammit, that's why we never got these. :mad:

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

I'll ask the obvious question. What did Origins do that made WizKids decide to jump ship from that being their site for Worlds? I swear, they need dense metal boots because they seem to be unable to not shoot themselves in the foot these days.

I was under the impression that they loving loved origins cause they could do anything they wanted.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

I actually haven't heard any pushback on Origins from WizKids, so this is really odd to me. If I hear something, I'll let you guys know.

On the subject of both conventions and of fun tournament scenarios: I'm currently writing up the event descriptions for the casual side tournaments at Origins. Would love to hear opinions from you guys on something...

Would you rather most builds be:

Modern Age, no ID cards
or
Golden Age, big list of exemptions (no feats, BFCs, possession figures, spells, traps, d20 figures, ID cards, resources...)

Personally, while I enjoy the idea of people being able to play whatever figures they want, I also enjoy how much more streamlined the former option is.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Where is PAX Unplugged? Dollars to donuts they're trying to save on travel costs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It was Philly last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

New Rules Tweaks.

Nitpick away.