Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I have a Templar tank and a Nightblade tank. I love em both. :) That said, all I pretty much do with them is vet dungeons and normal trials. DK's are undoubtedly the tanking kings, but I just couldn't get into playing one as a pure tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

light tanking guide: Never Stop Blocking except to do the following things: recast a buff or ransack the other morph pierce armor.

also heavy attack at some point so you can continue to block

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 9, 2018

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You have to stop blocking sometimes otherwise you will run out of green bar. You need to heavy attack to get green back to continue to block.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MF_James posted:

light tanking guide: Never Stop Blocking except to do the following things: recast a buff or ransack.

:bang:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

whatever the drat morph is! I thought it was ransack, it must be the other morph!

Aramek posted:

You have to stop blocking sometimes otherwise you will run out of green bar. You need to heavy attack to get green back to continue to block.

This is true.

fixed the post

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

My morph is the morph that will pierce the heavens.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Freebie dumb crate day! Log in once a day this weekend and murder a thing and get potion crates on the 13th. :homebrew:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can't just kill anything and have it count. Not allowed to kill bunnies and poo poo. It it cons red then it should count for the free crate.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dori any chance you're still doing the updated Magblade post?

I just hit 50 and I'm a little puzzled where to go with champion points, let alone my skills. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing enough damage in dungeons and I'd love to stop being the weak link in the group.

I asked about this stuff in the official forums and people seemed to scoff at the idea of rotations but I don't know how else to really approach it.

Looking at builds like this gives some direction but doesn't indicate how to prioritize anything while leveling. https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Snowy posted:

Dori any chance you're still doing the updated Magblade post?

I just hit 50 and I'm a little puzzled where to go with champion points, let alone my skills. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing enough damage in dungeons and I'd love to stop being the weak link in the group.

I asked about this stuff in the official forums and people seemed to scoff at the idea of rotations but I don't know how else to really approach it.

Looking at builds like this gives some direction but doesn't indicate how to prioritize anything while leveling. https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/

So I just picked up magblade again and had a really hard time getting a feel for it. After doing a lot of research, I actually did find a rotation for it that works. Now this is doing several things that are a DPS loss and it's not 100% optimized, but the tradeoff is it's a forgiving, set rotation with plenty of room for error and adaptability for mechanics.

I actually pulled it from this video - he does a pretty good job explaining it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDlC7nD3YFs

Basically, you put all your dots on your backbar (blockade/twisting/cripple) along with elemental drain and cast them all in sequence, weaving light attacks in between. You then switch to your front bar, cast merciless proc/swallow soul 2-3 times, then bar swap and recast all your dots. On your next bar swap, you'll recast merciless, Siphon, and do only 1 funnel/bow proc before starting from the beginning with your dots. When the mob is sub 25%, impale replaces swallow soul (unless you need to recast it for healing).

This helped me a lot with getting the basics down. The big thing for me was to not worry about tracking merciless and firing it as soon as it was ready on your 5th light attack. Yeah that's how the top 1% do it, but it is really hard and takes a while of practice, especially when you're trying to move and deal with mechanics. Unless you are flawless with weaving and animation canceling, you'll only get 2 bow procs per merciless cast anyways. Following this sequence, you'll easily get two bow procs per cast while also having a set rotation that it fits into and room for error with loving up and dealing with mechanics.

This is good enough for any content in the game - the guy in the video pulls 35-36k dps, and I was able to get this up to ~31k and I'm not max CP or using trial sets.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Still working on the tank guide. Might take a bit longer because I ran across some stuff I need to figure out.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hakarne posted:

Magblade rotation info

Thanks I’m going to try that out!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Still working on the tank guide. Might take a bit longer because I ran across some stuff I need to figure out.
Are you splitting it into tanking dungeons vs. tanking trials, different reasons for equipment sets, stuff like that?

Because I apparently have like 10 sets to farm once I hit 50 on my tank and I don't really know when/why to use them.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

if you want to just get started on cutting your teeth on tanking, non-DLC HM stuff isn't that complicated or demanding and you can make do with just crafted sets (generally, the I versions of dungeons will be much more straight forward than IIs which will have more mechanics and handicaps going on for pledge objectives)

you can just start with this in the meantime as a beginner blueprint https://woeler.eu/apprentice/

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does anybody actually use all these poisons you get in every dungeon? I've been stacking em up in my bank on the off chance they'd be useful for another character but no idea if that's actually the case.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

No, sell them for cash, poisons are trash*

*there are a few use cases, I think? for some poisons, pvp mostly, but you can make better ones and the pvp guys can tell you for sure.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dropped poisons are poo poo. You want double damage poisons if you run stamina in PvE content

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Dropped poisons are poo poo. You want double damage poisons if you run stamina in PvE content

Really? Even as stamsorc?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I've been tweaking my DW Magblade, and I'm loving it. I started with Zaan's/5x Julianos/5x Mothers Sorrow (DW)/vMA Lightning Staff and had pretty decent results. Then I had a really lucky day and had a vMA inferno staff drop, so I switched out Mother's Sorrow for BSW and an inferno staff...

...and managed to break 35k DPS at ~560CP. I've also been stress testing it by running it through the hardest poo poo I can find outside of vet trials (which I don't do). I got my vMA time down to about an hour...

...solo'd vet FG1, and even solo'd that fucker Bittergreen (because gently caress him).

Then to top the day off, I opened my 3 crates and got a sexy motherfucking horse that works great with my vampire magblade.

All in all, a loving great day in the land of ESO.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Hakarne posted:

Then to top the day off, I opened my 3 crates and got a sexy motherfucking horse that works great with my vampire magblade.

All in all, a loving great day in the land of ESO.

That horse is badass. Which one is it?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Beefeater posted:

That horse is badass. Which one is it?

Frostbane horse from the new scalecaller crate. That'd be my first or second choice mount so I feel pretty drat lucky. Beats the poo poo out of those potions I usually get!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I reinstalled this thing and got on yesterday. I have a L13 Templar with a horse and a bunch of single digit chars. Is the templar viable is should I restart with something else?

My return debut went pretty much as they always do: check bank, wander round aimlessly trying to remember WTF to do next, hit something, die, log off.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Did Veteran Asylum Sanctorium last night, +1 Configuration.

I am ashamed to say that I contributed 1/3rd of the group's total deaths. :smith:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Hakarne posted:

Frostbane horse from the new scalecaller crate. That'd be my first or second choice mount so I feel pretty drat lucky. Beats the poo poo out of those potions I usually get!

All I got was an emote, a bunch of potions and some sort of headband. I guess I'll have to pony up for some whale crates. :(

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

if you want to just get started on cutting your teeth on tanking, non-DLC HM stuff isn't that complicated or demanding and you can make do with just crafted sets (generally, the I versions of dungeons will be much more straight forward than IIs which will have more mechanics and handicaps going on for pledge objectives)

you can just start with this in the meantime as a beginner blueprint https://woeler.eu/apprentice/
Thanks for the link! I get the gist of equip and bar setup, I'm just a little confused as to what I actually do in-between bosses. Ideally I can get all the jerks to clump together so DPS can AoE them down, but that's easier said than done with all the casters and bowmen running away. I can use my DK AoE root to keep em around for a few, and once I get the scorpion "GET OVER HERE" skill I can use that too, but.... my dps is poo poo, so I can't really contribute meaningfully when there isn't a big bad to kill. Do I just run around hitting taunt on each bad guy so I take all the damage?

And this is just a general DK question, but: I know some enemies and especially bosses don't get rooted, but does the synergy still pop up for groupmates? It's not the worst little AoE and there are passives/sets that give bonuses to using synergies.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
In a pure tank setup the most meaningful contributions you can make are CC and group support - so pretty much what you're doing. Lock down enemies, pull in the ranged ones (while keeping the meaner poo poo taunted), keep buffs rolling and pop timely group shields all while managing limited resources.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

honestly for dungeons i just swap to dps gear in between bosses

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is there an addon that can swap out skills on my bar for different specs? Sucks to queue for multiple roles and scramble to try and switch stuff around while the group just instantly runs off without me if I don't get the role I'm specced for. I think there's a thing like this for gear, not sure about skills.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1812-AlphaGear2.html

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thank you!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TESOnline/status/974691788672983042

???????

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Gonna kill so many elves.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

She's revealing herself as KINMUNE for an MK written time travel expannsion

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Let me know how OP the new class/skill line is going to be so I can plan accordingly

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I already play a haughty Altmer Templar dressed in a mix of AD motif heavy armor and skirt, a true Aedra-channeling golden god; what could be more appropriate for my homeland?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Let me know how OP the new class/skill line is going to be so I can plan accordingly

Were Wardens OP when Morrowind launched?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I had a good feeling the next expansion/chapter would be Summerset Isle. It is about the same size, in game at least, to Vvardenfell and being an island is easy to separate from the rest of the world (no out of place "mountain" ranges separating zones).

I was worried ZMO might go for more nostalgia and fill in the rest of the Skyrim area but that would be like twice the size of Vvardenfell.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MH Knights posted:

I had a good feeling the next expansion/chapter would be Summerset Isle. It is about the same size, in game at least, to Vvardenfell and being an island is easy to separate from the rest of the world (no out of place "mountain" ranges separating zones).

I was worried ZMO might go for more nostalgia and fill in the rest of the Skyrim area but that would be like twice the size of Vvardenfell.

It was datamined awhile ago it would be Summerset.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

Were Wardens OP when Morrowind launched?

Stamwardens are still the top tier PvP class, and ZoS has openly admitted that they were designed that way.

In other news, Happy St. Patty's Day folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

First thing I did when I logged in.