Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yestermoment posted:

Very excited to see who's developing the new smash (This was the actual google result).

https://mobile.twitter.com/SmashBros_Nin/status/971892052412719105/video/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gmq posted:

I bought Splatoon. It hasn't even finished downloading and I'm already regretting it. :negative:

You won't regret it when you start playing!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

gmq posted:

I bought Splatoon. It hasn't even finished downloading and I'm already regretting it. :negative:

It's a pretty good game. I'm always hovering in the C/B ranks so maybe I'm not the best judge but I got a solid 40 hours out of it. Better cost/time ratio than Snipperclips so I say you did good :woomy:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/SmashBros_Nin/status/970533875762868224

It's actually Sakurai's Stand.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
add an undertale character to Smash

namaste

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

eonwe posted:

add an undertale character to Smash

namaste

*a finger on the monkey's paw curls*
So Sorry joins the battle!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Woop, that's my switch arrived and it feels amazing. I never expected the whole handheld to big screen TV thing to feel so magical. It's really like i've just bought 2 consoles.

I can see what people mean about the joycon controller feeling a little uncomfy after a while so i'm probably gonna pick up a pro controller.

Are there any other quality of life things to get?

Other than a carry case, i was thinking along the lines of docks/controller chargers and such.

Also, does it support bluetooth headphones or just a jack variety?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

gmq posted:

Why are you regretting it, gmq?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Add the Fake and Real Sakurais to Smash.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kin posted:

Glass screen protector

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kin posted:

Woop, that's my switch arrived and it feels amazing. I never expected the whole handheld to big screen TV thing to feel so magical. It's really like i've just bought 2 consoles.

I can see what people mean about the joycon controller feeling a little uncomfy after a while so i'm probably gonna pick up a pro controller.

Other than a carry case, i was thinking along the lines of docks/controller chargers and such.

The pro controller (or 8bitdo controller) & glass screen protector is really it, unless you want to splurge on a PD capable battery for long trips and/or a grip of some sort for handheld use. Jack headphones are all it can use.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Augus posted:

*a finger on the monkey's paw curls*
Doodlebog joins the battle!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

As a perennial gently caress up at applying screen protectors, I can confirm that these amFilm ones are the absolute most painless I've ever dealt with.

e: also pretend I quoted that Undertale monkeys paw joke but with Tsunderplane.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have to accept that in a post-roommate existence Smash just can’t hold my attention anymore. I will buy the Splatoon 2 expansion immediately though.

I learned this with Brawl but I'm still going to buy every one of these games until I die

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have to accept that in a post-roommate existence Smash just can’t hold my attention anymore. I will buy the Splatoon 2 expansion immediately though.

Look at this scrub who didnt create 3 children or kidnap them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

I learned this with Brawl but I'm still going to buy every one of these games until I die

I've already bought two Smash games since then that I ended up not playing and I'm finally starting to get a brain about stuff like this so I'll probably say no this time.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For me the Hori stand or similar stand is nice, as well as the Orzly ergonomic protector for handheld mode. Also important is a USB to Ethernet attachment so you can play wired to the internet. Lastly I would say one of the plastic kits for making the smaller joycons into two larger controllers.

All of these things and the screen protector range in price from 5 dollars to 15 but make the switch even better.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 10, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think I've missed out on all the reasonable deals for the neon green/pink joycons at this point. :negative:

Oh well, it's okay. I'm sure Nintendo will have more joycon colors in the future and there will probably be another green I can get!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've already bought two Smash games since then that I ended up not playing and I'm finally starting to get a brain about stuff like this so I'll probably say no this time.

This is me. Getting people together for Smash Brothers has gotten to be impossible

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

whaley posted:

This is me. Getting people together for Smash Brothers has gotten to be impossible
I think in late '16 I had a friend over and we played Smash for like 20 minutes before getting bored and watching a movie or something instead. That was the last time.

edit: that was the last time for any local multiplayer game really. Even friends I like to talk about games with, we get bored quickly actually playing games together and want to do something else instead.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Already got that on order, should be arriving next week. How easy is it to gently caress that up though? I was reading that specific one is like a permanent bond type of thing?

Also, how easy to scratch is the screen and how sturdy is the Switch in general? I've got a trip tomorrow i forgot about and was thinking about taking the Switch but haven't got a carry case yet.

I've got a thinkgeek bag of holding and was thinking i could maybe just chuck it into one of the internal pockets as it's soft canvas and that kind of stuff.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Kin posted:

Also, how easy to scratch is the screen and how sturdy is the Switch in general? I've got a trip tomorrow i forgot about and was thinking about taking the Switch but haven't got a carry case yet.

I've got a thinkgeek bag of holding and was thinking i could maybe just chuck it into one of the internal pockets as it's soft canvas and that kind of stuff.

The Switch is very sturdy, like most Nintendo products it is made of Nintendium and will not break very easily. The screen is just plastic however so don't put your keys in with it. I have that same bag though and it has many pockets and it should be OK dispersed throughout them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kin posted:

A portable CRT display is essential imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0yoohjaOgQ

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

repiv posted:

A portable CRT display is essential imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0yoohjaOgQ

But can it run doom?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

gmq posted:

Don’t regret buying the best game for the Switch.

Yeah, I said it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Tempura Wizard posted:

Yeah, I said it.

:emptyquote:

Gotta be the freshest squid around at all times. Welcome, inkling.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Yeah, I said it.

I wouldn’t say best but I personally think it’s kinda dumb to have a Switch but not have Splatoon unless you really really really don’t like shooters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What if you buy a Switch solely for killer app Golf Story?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Kin posted:

-Pro controller
-Travel case for the Switch (unless you think you’ll want to take the dock too, then get a giant one for everything, but the standard zip case you see all over amazon is fine)
- extra power supply or look into the power bank and cable recommendations that let you charge and play without frying something
- if you do a lot of local multiplayer, i’d get some controller shells for the joycons because those strap slide things that come with it are a pain if you want something with better ZL/ZR buttons on a single joycon. I just keep those slide straps in the travel case as a “just in case thing”.
- I wouldn’t get a joycon/pro controller charging stand until you get 2 sets of joycons

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Mega64 posted:

What if you buy a Switch solely for killer app Golf Story?

Then you need a time machine so you can repeatedly live in the pre-release hype era of Fall 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn’t say best but I personally think it’s kinda dumb to have a Switch but not have Splatoon unless you really really really don’t like shooters.

I should have used the eBay 20% off to get eshop cards and bought Splatoon digitally... fail

Well, unless those were excluded

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 10, 2018

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Gotta say I don't think squid game is for me. At least I bought physical so I can resell this thing in a week.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Get this case. It has enough room for an extra power brick, a cable, and a set of joy-cons with adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075ZTM38J?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Reality Loser posted:

Gotta say I don't think squid game is for me. At least I bought physical so I can resell this thing in a week.

A shameful post.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be fair I know people who don’t like Splatoon. However they’re all people who are so bad at video games they’re still stuck on moving the character and the camera at the same time

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wendell posted:

Why are you regretting it, gmq?

I'm wary of multiplayer games with ranked modes, I feel like I'd need to spend ages to actually get good at them.

But, I played to level 5 and it has been very fun so far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The numbered levels in Turf War don't really account for much, so don't worry about those. That's mostly for gating weapons and such.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I got to level 6 tonight, and I've been playing with the different weapons, trying to find what I like. I'm not sure I like the only two maps each hour thing. I got pretty tired of them by the end of the hour, but then they're gone again. Don't really understand why they did it that way. I had a few games where I destroyed, a few where I got destroyed, and mostly quite evenly matched games. I could feel myself getting better, figuring out loops through the levels, getting better at movement. Very promising, looking forward to playing more.

I'm very interested to hop into the ranked modes once I've practiced a bit more. That's definitely what I'm looking forward to most.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 10, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I generally don't like PvP online games and trying Splatoon 2 just confirmed that again for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got sick of the songs after a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Real hurthling! posted: