Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Birdstrike posted:

I'm thinking of starting a single issue Xenophon type party to just run in the senate called the jbp make a good post party and just loving block and poo poo on everything until it happens.

Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

It cooked her brain. She's gone. Article was just updated.

...I'm going to go give my daughter a hug.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

GoldStandardConure posted:

UM ITS CALLED MANGA NOT ANIME
No Pantsu!? :confused: Why posted!?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Night Shade posted:

Watch that tragedy turn into a disgusting display of drawn out bureaucratic arse covering.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

Especially the entire Liberal Party in Victoria. They loving hate the level crossing removals and the Metro tunnel

Yeah, they'd much rather 50 highway style flyovers and offramps to grade separate suburban intersections. Which basically every road lobby has said is terrible

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Night Shade posted:

Well if she dies in a faulty DoH house, at least you'll get a free month's rent.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Watch that tragedy turn into a disgusting display of victim blaming I mean they TOLD her not to touch anything she had it coming

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I used to have an electrical licence and if the power went out at my place I wouldn't think touching a garden tap would be a risk. I know hypothetically this sort of thing can happen but it probably wouldn't have crossed my mind before this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's crossed my mind since my dad is a sparky and mentioned it, but it's not something I considered anywhere within the realm of possibility. It's urban legend type stuff.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

JBP posted:

It's crossed my mind since my dad is a sparky and mentioned it, but it's not something I considered anywhere within the realm of possibility. It's urban legend type stuff.

I've definitely heard of it, that sort of horror story gets told at TAFE. But it probably wouldn't be something that would cross my mind if the situation happened at home.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

You know what else comes in books?

You, you dirty little sinner.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

In 'yep, sounds about right' news:

https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/971972495451410432

https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/971975942661746688

https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/971982519846387712

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Night Shade posted:

I work for the company that does maintenance on public housing in WA, ask me anything.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

I work for the company that does maintenance on public housing in WA, ask me anything.

Is this an ingenious method to free up available public housing as part of an innovation initiative?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Endman posted:

why the gently caress are you all the way over in tasmania when poo poo is falling apart here in wa!?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DancingShade posted:

Is this an ingenious method to free up available public housing as part of an innovation initiative?

I prefer to think of it as "asset renewal".

GoldStandardConure posted:

why the gently caress are you all the way over in tasmania when poo poo is falling apart here in wa!?

I actually only work for the Tasmanian branch of the company, I have no idea wtf is happening in WA right now. :v:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I found a solution to the tampon tax problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorkmWa7He8

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 9, 2018

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

starkebn posted:

I've definitely heard of it, that sort of horror story gets told at TAFE. But it probably wouldn't be something that would cross my mind if the situation happened at home.

The horror story i got told at tafe was about a guy stopping to help a mother with a broken down car on the side of the road, as it was getting dark he set up a cigarette lighter powered emergency light that he built himself which shorted out when someone closed a door on the lead, starting a fire and eventual explosion that killed the kids that were inside. the guy who built the thing killed himself shortly after. the lesson was supposed to be about proper circuit protection but really it was just a preamble to a spiel about the media running a scare campaign against gas cars as the headlines for the stories about it were various variations on 'gas car explodes'

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

You Am I posted:

Especially the entire Liberal Party in Victoria. They loving hate the level crossing removals and the Metro tunnel

Their solution is to remove 50 roundabouts and sets of traffic lights. It’s genius level stuff. Because if there’s no traffic lights then cars will never have to slow down!

JBP posted:

I'm thinking of starting a single issue Xenophon type party to just run in the senate called the corporate taxation enforcement party and just loving block and poo poo on everything until it happens.

Vote 1 JBP.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/972242845636669440

:chloe:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Turnbull is going to make a good deal.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
The conditions are that Greg Norman become Prime Minister.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-foreign-policy

:captainpop:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Keating's entire foreign policy interest revolves around Asian engagement, Chinese containment policies and Pacific trade so this make total sense given Trump has accidentally refocused on it due to the middle east being a huge waste of time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Actually he's happy to forget Chinese containment so long as we are riding along, which honestly would be a better plan than engaging with the European and American post war shitshow for another 80 years.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Every time Trump talks to another country and doesn't ignite the atmosphere I consider it surprisingly good.

He also called Australia great, if you needed any more evidence of atrocious judgement.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Every time Trump talks to another country and doesn't ignite the atmosphere I consider it surprisingly good.

He also called Australia great, if you needed any more evidence of atrocious judgement.

Worst judgment ever.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

He remembered Turnbull's name this time!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Unions NSW and some tradespeople are calling on the Federal Government to set up an independent regulator to oversee the emerging gig economy, amid concerns workers' safety is at risk.

They have tracked the online marketplace Airtasker and found what appears to be unlicensed operators taking on risky jobs, such as asbestos removal, at low costs.

Union NSW secretary Mark Morey said it was very concerning.

"This is really unregulated and unsafe work that's being done by people who potentially have bid for the job, who are not qualified to remove asbestos," Mr Morey said.

"And they're creating safety issues, not just for themselves but for the people around them — the neighbours and everyone in the environment."

Mr Morey provided examples of jobs posted on the website.

One worker asked the job advertiser for a hose and water to reduce the toxicity of the asbestos, when removing a piece of asbestos pipe.

Another worker got paid $50 for removing five sheets of asbestos, and posted about being grateful the job advertiser gave him a dust mask, because he forgot his own.

"We can't see any evidence of what happens once the job is completed," Mr Morey said.

"With asbestos it needs to be appropriately disposed of. We don't think the rates at which the jobs are being offered are protecting the individual when they're doing it, or more importantly deal with the appropriate disposal of the asbestos."

Alec Sharland, a Perth builder and plumber, said he had tracked the website for a year and had major concerns about the safety of workers and clients.

"I have sparkies and plumbers send me screen captures of works that have been done. Some of the work's been done is just crazy it's been allowed," Mr Sharland said.

"There was a job there to enclose a gas hot water unit. The handyman said he would do that. Now, if that had gone ahead, if we hadn't been on that forum and said what are you doing this is dangerous, that could have caught fire and exploded."

Mr Sharland said too often he had found handymen bid for jobs they were not licensed to do.

"I have evidence of handymen not being licensed and they continue to bid on works despite not having the relevant contractor licences," he said.

"When a savvy consumer questions if they hold the relevant licence, they admit to not having it, and then are off bidding for other jobs, of which the licence is still required."

But Airtasker's chief executive Tim Fung said the site had already started integrating licensing into its platform.

"We've worked together with a number of third parties and we now have badges users can add to their profile for licensed electrician work, plumbing work, gas-fitting work, working with children checks, digital identification, police checks," Mr Fung said.

"From our point of view it's absolutely awesome if our users can identify if they have those licences, and so job posters have the same sort of transparency as they would have anywhere else."

The same rules apply: Airtasker
Mr Fung said in terms of insurance and liability, the same rules apply for Airtasker as in the more established marketplace.

"We've just added personal accident protection insurance, so all users on [the] platform are covered if they are to have an injury whilst working," Mr Fung said.

But Mr Morey said he was still concerned the gig economy was operating outside of traditional regulation and the issue was not just confined to Airtasker.

"They are now setting up as businesses saying catch us if you can, we are going to operate unregulated until someone says stop," Mr Morey said.

"With the growth in the funding of the NDIS [the National Disability Insurance Scheme] individuals are now purchasing services, so platforms like Uber care are now setting up with similar structures, posting jobs, and people are actually bidding for that work. And we're not sure those people are qualified to do that work.

"Similar platforms are operating in the childcare area as well."

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Federal Department of Jobs and Small Business said current workplace health and safety laws already captured the gig economy.

And it is up to the workers and platforms like Airtasker to comply.

The spokesperson also said that Workplace Health and Safety was aware of challenges presented by "gig work" and was taking steps to address them.

But Mr Morey said he did not believe self-regulation worked and he wanted the Federal Government and Labor Opposition to create a dedicated, independent body to monitor the gig economy.

"This is a grey area of the economy," he said.

"These platforms have stepped out of pace of the expectation of the community.

"But what we want to see is that the proper regulatory standards that apply in the economy today, particularly for small business owners, apply to these bigger providers so it's a fair and balanced environment where everyone can compete equally."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can’t wait til we find a big pile of asbestos dumped behind a preschool again.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's very agile. The preschool can just ask airtasker to remove it.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Anidav posted:

Unions NSW and some tradespeople are calling on the Federal Government to set up an independent regulator to oversee the emerging gig economy, amid concerns workers' safety is at risk.

Every time I look at airtasker I see poo poo that needs a licensed sparky, but people are offering what amounts to about $15/hour gross for the job. Then there's the jokes like "end of lease clean for 3 br house, $90". gently caress airtasker. For every job that's paying close to a fair rate, there are 20 piss-taking cheapskates trying to exploit the desperate.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Minister for pursuit of nonconforming thought.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Can’t wait til we find a big pile of asbestos dumped behind a preschool again.

Sounds like a great cleanup job for a Work For The Dole crew with no safety training.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

fiery_valkyrie posted:

How many tampons do these men think women use??

The way they’re all carrying on you’d think that 90% of government revenue comes from the gst on tampons.

Forget the companies with turnover in the billions that pay no tax - we’re going to bring the budget back into surplus by keeping the tax on tampons!

I don't mean to alarm you fiery_valkyrie, but with the downturn in the retail market and the shocking stagnation of wages over the past few decades... 90% of government revenue is generated from tampon taxes.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Konomex posted:

I don't mean to alarm you fiery_valkyrie, but with the downturn in the retail market and the shocking stagnation of wages over the past few decades... 90% of government revenue is generated from tampon taxes.

Shocking if true, I guess that's why the Libs are trying to push for more females on their side to avoid the "No menstruation without representation" campaign that could tank the economy. This is of course assuming LNP logic that menstruation is a choice, hence the GIST application.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i stuff chicken nuggets up my vag to stem the grisly tide

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't use tampons so tax away.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hey kids don't use these to buy drugs off the internet!

*exaggerated slow wink at camera*

• Locked thread