Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Planescape Torment sucked and so did every 90s top down crpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Plutonis posted:

Planescape Torment sucked and so did every 90s top down crpg.

You shut your filthy mouth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: the Infinity Engine's pseudo-real-time combat was an awful compromise, and they should have gone with full turn-based like in the Gold Box games

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If Ultima 7 is bad, what is good?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

remusclaw posted:

If Ultima 7 is bad, what is good?
Ultima V.

And yes, Planescape as a whole is just one big example of 90's RPG excess.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hot take: the Infinity Engine's pseudo-real-time combat was an awful compromise, and they should have gone with full turn-based like in the Gold Box games

RTwP beats turn-based any time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

rtwp is always garbage

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lemon-Lime posted:

True, but the infinity engine was pretty bad, which is why PS:T only had like 4 mandatory fights. It's strongest when it's more adventure game than RPG combat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hel posted:

True, but the infinity engine was pretty bad, which is why PS:T only had like 4 mandatory fights. It's strongest when it's more adventure game than RPG combat.

Nah, real time with pause works fine. Don’t judge the Infinity Engine by PS:T which added a bunch of cruft to the user interface and punted on a lot of gameplay. When you get into the guts of it with Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale, it’s plenty.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've had Icewind Dale on my iPad for ages because it really seems like the kind of thing I would love to play on an iPad but whenever I use it I end up just reading RPG sourcebooks on Kindle. :shrug: Is it worth a playthrough? It never really gets talked up like the other Infinity Engine games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrast posted:

rtwp is always garbage

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Someone please remake/remaster Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

I've had Icewind Dale on my iPad for ages because it really seems like the kind of thing I would love to play on an iPad but whenever I use it I end up just reading RPG sourcebooks on Kindle. :shrug: Is it worth a playthrough? It never really gets talked up like the other Infinity Engine games.

People remember the epic plotline in BG1/2 and PS:T's cool philosophical stuff more easily than they remember IWD, a game that's 90% dungeon crawling with barely any plot, which is why it doesn't get talked up as much.

If you like Infinity Engine combat, it's good.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The best thing about BG2 was that its best build was a Kensai/Mage that Dual Wielded Katanas.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Geneforge remakes when

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's not a hot take, but the combat could've just been the game shooting nails at your crotch through the computer and it still would be a great fucken game.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Geneforge remakes when

In about 18 months or so.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Planescape is good but only if you use Sigil as a occasional destination.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lurdiak posted:

Whoever wrote this was extremely opposed to the idea of player characters defeating any powerful entity or claiming any treasure or doing anything at all.

Well, AD&D 2e lived in mortal fear of any campaign turning into a "mug-the-gods" power trip, and though the fear was almost always overblown, the fear did have some basis. Planescape didn't want to be about that, so they set up a lot of hard walls, for better or worse.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It's best adventure was abput god mugging though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Andrast posted:

rtwp is always garbage

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Drone posted:

Someone please remake/remaster Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I passed a car whose license plate was “WAAAAGH” but the car wasn’t red. Missed opportunity on the owner’s part?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have this weird relationship with old RTwP RPGs where I remember liking them but now I play them and the combat is so off putting I bounce off of every single one.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Blockhouse posted:

I have this weird relationship with old RTwP RPGs where I remember liking them but now I play them and the combat is so off putting I bounce off of every single one.

I still like the KOTOR games, but RTwP isn't like...a selling point for me

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Andrast posted:

rtwp is always garbage

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
RTwP just seems like a kludgey workaround for bad gameplay / controls, IMO.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Error 404 posted:

Yeah KOTOR I think is the one exception for me too. I play those games fine.

I think the dealbreaker for most of them for me is it feels like you have to babysit idiot party members constantly.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I played one of the KOTOR games and enjoyed it well enough but the combat is trash even compared to other 3.5e-based CRPGS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real Time RPGs were a horrible compromise born of the fact that turn based was starting to be seen as very antiquated and people wanted faster, more action-y RPGS. I would turn every single one of them into turn based grid rpgs with some kind of game design wand if I could.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Agreed. I like some games that use real time with pause but it's usually in spite of that.

I think the only time I ever enjoyed the novelty of RTwP was in Baldur's Gate 1 when I had my rogue kite a troll or something while everyone shot at it. That would've been less fun if it weren't happening in mostly real time. Other than that though, I was just constantly pausing anyway.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 9, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

Andrast posted:

rtwp is always garbage

It really is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
After reading Glorantha stuff in the FATAL & Friends thread I have decided Glorantha is not for me and buying that setting book is probably a bad idea

I did however find out there's a new edition of Freedom City which is one of my favorite world info books ever though so I got that instead

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Planescape: Torment has a great premise, setting, and storyline that's married to the most abysmal loving engine. It's drat near unplayable by today's standards.

I never thought I'd agree with Plutonis on anything but, here we go.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

At least Kotors weird rear end adventure game/proto MMO UI made it more bearable to play than the other piles it was released with. It's insane how I can't honestly play poo poo like BG and Planescape today because it looks and play so clunky, slow and lovely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Plutonis posted:

At least Kotors weird rear end adventure game/proto MMO UI made it more bearable to play than the other piles it was released with. It's insane how I can't honestly play poo poo like BG and Planescape today because it looks and play so clunky, slow and lovely.

Kotor is demonstrably five times slower than Baldur's Gate or Planescape.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's only a piece of poo poo game on the early game but it gets way better in the mid

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's still way slow due to travel time alone. Walking from one end of Sigil to the other is a snap compared to going anywhere in Kotor.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just can't go back to kotor, I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll preserve it in my memory, like what people do with goldeneye