Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm wondering if Search for Azcanta might be good in Faeries instead of any copies of AV. It's not Bitterblossom, but it's somewhat similar in that it will take over games if your opponent doesn't answer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Should I play UR Breach or GW Ramunap/KotR Company at FNM tonight? I know GW better than UR and I think it's a better deck right now, but I've been meaning to get some reps in with UR and might just need to take some lumps tonight to get some experience. Help me make important life decisions goons.

Voting Breach :getin:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I'm wondering if Search for Azcanta might be good in Faeries instead of any copies of AV. It's not Bitterblossom, but it's somewhat similar in that it will take over games if your opponent doesn't answer it.

I'd definitely try out one or two. I don't know if it replaces Ancestral Vision necessarily, though, I feel like those fill different roles.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

I'd definitely try out one or two. I don't know if it replaces Ancestral Vision necessarily, though, I feel like those fill different roles.

Yeah I feel that way too, thing is though, Search feels really... dirdle-y compared to just Ancestral, especially since some of your best cards are creatures.

Like for me it's more of a control oriented card than a tempo plan one, but I can definitely see playing it if I want to play more of the control shell version of faeries.

What are you guys' sideboards? I have 9 cards dedicated to aggro lol.

1x Collective Brutality
2x Countersquall
2x Damnation
1x Disdainful Stroke
1x Engineered Explosives
2x Gifted Aetherborn
1x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2x Liliana, the Last Hope
1x Mistbind Clique
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Relic of Progenitus

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 10, 2018

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Ehhh, I don't know if replace is the right word, but I feel more comfortable playing a couple Search for Azcanta over the set of AV. It's an additional form of card advantage that synergizes quite well with passing the turn and needing to spend your mana on something. I also think AV is quite dirdle-y given that you don't get any return on investment for four turns after casting it; that's much worse than Search, which can do something pretty quickly. This is what I'm going to test for the Azcanta shell. It probably can't ever beat Burn but I think it will be stronger against the rest of the field.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Ehhh, I don't know if replace is the right word, but I feel more comfortable playing a couple Search for Azcanta over the set of AV. It's an additional form of card advantage that synergizes quite well with passing the turn and needing to spend your mana on something. I also think AV is quite dirdle-y given that you don't get any return on investment for four turns after casting it; that's much worse than Search, which can do something pretty quickly. This is what I'm going to test for the Azcanta shell. It probably can't ever beat Burn but I think it will be stronger against the rest of the field.

I think I'd feel more comfortable if I run more Snapcasters/Delve creatures with the Azcanta, I'm only running 2 Snapcasters and no real graveyard stuff, maybe I should add 1 Tasigur in the main, not sure yet though. This is my list.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi, thread, I've posted a little in the main thread and buy/sell thread but by way of background I played from The Dark through Ice Age and not since. I sold the bulk of my collection around 2000, but last summer found some cards including my main play decks. I want to get back into playing.

Hypothetically speaking, if I rolled in my LGS for their Legacy night, how bad would I get stomped running this?

Land: (20)
City of Brass
Karakas
Tolaria
Maze of Ith
Ruins of Trokair x2
Svyelunite Temple x3
Tundra
Savannah x4
B/G Tapland x4 (I sold my Tropicals)
Island
Plains

Non-Creature Spells: (25)
Swords to Plowshares x4
Disenchant x4
Control Magicx4
Giant Growth x4
Wild Growth x4
Divine Transformationx4
Regrowth x1

Creatures: (13)
Birds of Paradise x2
Mahamoti Djinn x4
Serra Angel x4
Acracades Sabboth
Angus Mackenzie
Ragnar

Artifacts: (2)
Felwar Stone
Feldon's Cane

Sideboard: (
Karma x3
Tivadar's Crusade
Energy Flux x2
Martyrs of Korlis

Go ahead and be blunt, the 18 y.o. me who designed this won't be offended. I had to take Balance and Sol Ring out, so it isn't exactly what I ran back in the day but it's mostly there.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

You’d have no chance at all against anyone playing a competitive legacy deck, sorry dude. That being said, if it’s fun, go for it. I’ve played a casual deck on legacy night before too.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Running BBE Ponza with Plow Under :getin:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-03-18-OBk-bbe-ponza

I probably should be using my sideboard slots better, but I'm afraid to let go of old friend and I have no idea what the store meta is post unbannings.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With the lands you’ve got, look into Maverick and Knight of the Reliquary

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You will get absolutely trounced if your store has a half-serious Legacy scene. Your creatures are expensive and weak and you don't have much in the way of card advantage, disruption, or deck manipulation.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if I rolled in my LGS for their Legacy night, how bad would I get stomped running this?
You would get stomped so bad.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
My favorite legacy deck is always going to be this pile of garbage that can occasionally win games through the magic of happenstance and luck.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That's pretty much what I thought, but I'm sure it will be fun. I've started playing MTGO and brainstorming/researching some different decks I could put together to try at least be more than a speedbump.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

On MTGO it seems like every deck I play is some variant of playing a single land card and creating limitless token creatures out of your graveyard. Still, every now and then I sneak out a win though. I just beat some dude that summoned an 11/11 black creature (again from the graveyard) on turn 1 by Swords to Plowsharing it and counterspelling stuff until i could get my big flyers out.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

On MTGO it seems like every deck I play is some variant of playing a single land card and creating limitless token creatures out of your graveyard. Still, every now and then I sneak out a win though. I just beat some dude that summoned an 11/11 black creature (again from the graveyard) on turn 1 by Swords to Plowsharing it and counterspelling stuff until i could get my big flyers out.

You sure it wasn't a 7/7? I don't think there are any 11/11 black creatures in the entire game. The decks that are throwing fatties out of the yard are usually some variant of reanimator. Sometimes though they are tin fins because, why not?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I'm not much of a control player, but I really want to jam these Monastery Mentors. Do you guys think something like this could work?

https://manastack.com/deck/esper-mentor-18

e: Ehhh this doesn't seem great

myDad fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 10, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The March Hare posted:

You sure it wasn't a 7/7? I don't think there are any 11/11 black creatures in the entire game. The decks that are throwing fatties out of the yard are usually some variant of reanimator. Sometimes though they are tin fins because, why not?

My bad it was colorless, It That Betrays.

:parrot: Two in a row! Just control magic'd a 9/7 Predatory Ooze with Rancor and Hardened Scales x2 on it. The old dog can still bite haha. Sorry, I'll stop making posts like this, I am sure they are annoying. Nobody cares to read about random MTGO games.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

My bad it was colorless, It That Betrays.

:parrot: Two in a row! Just control magic'd a 9/7 Predatory Ooze with Rancor and Hardened Scales x2 on it. The old dog can still bite haha. Sorry, I'll stop making posts like this, I am sure they are annoying. Nobody cares to read about random MTGO games.

No please go on, these are pretty :allears: and awesome to hear old nostalgia cards kicking rear end still. Although my memories of control magic was getting my scaled wurm taken away then having him beat my rear end :(

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Played Lands and won FNM. Merfolk played Back to Basics. I got to use Sylvan Safekeeper, Ramunap Excavator, and Exploration to play around it and kill them easily. A huge Tireless Tracker is awesome.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

seems like a catchall against elves as well.

Thinking of running that weird bant list that has been 5-0'ing leagues lately.

Mainboard (60)
Lands (21)
4 Flooded Strand
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Windswept Heath
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Temple Garden
1 Breeding Pool
1 Plains
2 Island
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Gavony Township

Creatures (30)
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Spell Queller
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
1 Drogskol Captain
1 Kira, great glass spinner

Non-Creature Spells (9)
4 Curious Obsession
4 Vapor Snag
1 Tamiyo, Field Researcher

Sideboard (15)
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Kataki, Wars Wage
2 Disdainful Stroke (????)
2 Rhox War Monk
1 Tamiyo, Field Researcher
2 Eidolon of rhetoric

Went 3-1 with this at fnm. R1 was against titanshift and I lost in 3. R2 was against a guy playing r/u fevered visions win 2-0. R3 was against g/w value win 2-0. R3 was against humans win 2-1.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So in looking to replace my Tropical Islands I bought a whole bunch of different tap lands. I'm learning that the penalty on mana ramp up for tap lands is not inconsequential but I'm just trying to figure out how to use them appropriately in deck building. My old '97 philosophy was why use a common land when you can use something that gives you more? With the ABUR duals, I think that made sense, but obviously the game has changed. Besides the classic duals I used to like the Fallen Empires lands because with Sol Ring/Mana Birds/Felwar Stone/Wild Growth I could get an Angel or Djinn out pretty drat fast and live with the gamble of sacrificing a mana producing land to do it.

Looking at my pool of new lands to mess around with in my WUG deck:
Coastal Tower/Tranquil Expanse/Woodland Stream/Meandering River - straight up taplands, seems like they were made obsolete by the next group, unless you were going to run all of them:
Thornwood Falls/Tranquil Cove/Blossoming Sands - why not gain 1 life in addition to the standard tap land?\
Seaside Citadel - why aren't people crazy over these wedge lands?

I finally understand the attraction to fetch lands, but they are pretty expensive. Filter lands seem pretty awesome too. I guess my main question is with all the land options out there now, why even mess with basics? I'm sure there's a reason, is it just what if Blood Moon? Is there a rule of thumb for how many non-ABUR dual lands I should be using?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

So in looking to replace my Tropical Islands I bought a whole bunch of different tap lands. I'm learning that the penalty on mana ramp up for tap lands is not inconsequential but I'm just trying to figure out how to use them appropriately in deck building. My old '97 philosophy was why use a common land when you can use something that gives you more? With the ABUR duals, I think that made sense, but obviously the game has changed. Besides the classic duals I used to like the Fallen Empires lands because with Sol Ring/Mana Birds/Felwar Stone/Wild Growth I could get an Angel or Djinn out pretty drat fast and live with the gamble of sacrificing a mana producing land to do it.

Looking at my pool of new lands to mess around with in my WUG deck:
Coastal Tower/Tranquil Expanse/Woodland Stream/Meandering River - straight up taplands, seems like they were made obsolete by the next group, unless you were going to run all of them:
Thornwood Falls/Tranquil Cove/Blossoming Sands - why not gain 1 life in addition to the standard tap land?\
Seaside Citadel - why aren't people crazy over these wedge lands?

I finally understand the attraction to fetch lands, but they are pretty expensive. Filter lands seem pretty awesome too. I guess my main question is with all the land options out there now, why even mess with basics? I'm sure there's a reason, is it just what if Blood Moon? Is there a rule of thumb for how many non-ABUR dual lands I should be using?

Basics: it dodges Blood Moon as well as Wasteland and Price of Progress (and as of recently in Legacy, Back to Basics). It's a way to (almost) ensure that you will get to cast spells.

Lands coming into play tapped is a huge drawback. If your lands enter tapped and your opponent's lands don't, you're a full turn behind what they're doing. They're doing powerful things before you are.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i mean, if you aren't super concerned about your life total, there's always just pain lands and shock lands.

if you aren't playing fetches anyway, then why not? i would even consider fast lands, depending on how many colors you play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally made it out to FNM with Blue Moon and went 1-2 for my trouble-
2 Desolate Lighthouse
2 Flooded Strand
8 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
3 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
1 Wandering Fumarole
1 Abrade
2 Blood Moon
3 Cryptic Command
2 Electrolyze
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Opt
4 Remand
1 Search for Azcanta
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Spell Snare
1 Supreme Will
4 Through the Breach
2 Vendilion Clique
//Sideboard
1 Abrade
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blood Moon
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Dispel
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Entrancing Melody
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Roast
1 Supreme Will

Beat Ad Nauseum in 2, then lost what felt like winnable games against UBRw Delver/Pyromancer in 2 (was a turn away from drawing outs in both games), then lost to U Tron in 2 when I couldn't get through his countermagic and probably sideboarded incorrectly as well. Had a splitting headache when I got home and went to be at like 10 PM like an old man. I think I need to sleep more during the week.

Breakout star was the Wandering Fumarole that I put in last-minute, as it closed out game 2 vs Ad Naus and got my U Tron opponent down to 6 life in game 2 (except I took out all of my Bolts when I should have probably taken out my Remands). To the people discussing Search earlier, it felt very very good and I never actually wanted to flip it. Clique didn't feel that great, it spent a lot of time either getting countered or staring down Lingering Souls tokens; when I get my fourth Snapcaster it will definitely replace a Clique. The deck also really wants a couple of Jaces, and to maybe go down one or two lands.

Lastly, I can't remember the last time I went over .500 at FNM and it's really bumming me out :( My inability to make it to these things more than once a month is starting to really show in my play. I might table this deck until I get said Jaces and play GW Ramunap instead since I know it a little better.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Lastly, I can't remember the last time I went over .500 at FNM and it's really bumming me out :( My inability to make it to these things more than once a month is starting to really show in my play. I might table this deck until I get said Jaces and play GW Ramunap instead since I know it a little better.

I started every single modern tournament in the last 2 years 2/0 and cashed ONE of them. They were all 4 rounds and 3/1 gets prizes. I always ended up on the wrong side of variance.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/980264

Look at this crazy Pyromancer Ascension deck that just got a 5-0. Its only win condition is literally putting seven copies of the card Lightning Bolt on the stack.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

uninverted posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/980264

Look at this crazy Pyromancer Ascension deck that just got a 5-0. Its only win condition is literally putting seven copies of the card Lightning Bolt on the stack.

I used to play this deck, and it is aggressively bad. i do not think that 4 opt is enough for it to get there

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Team Carries Steve... or Vice Versa? A Tournamente Reporte

So I played the modern third of a team tournament today along with my friends Dylan and Mike on Miracles and UB Control respectively. I, of course, played Bant Spirits.

I decided I didn't want to lose to Jund in case you're wondering about the Moorland Haunt.

I never played Jund. Not only that but Moorland Haunt cost me the one game where I did draw it (though it would also not have won the game if it had been the 2nd Gavony I'd normally play. If it had been a stock list with Cavern, I'd have 100% won that game. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

My sideboard is more or less my normal sideboard. Eidolon is probably a reasonable card to play now with the increase in BBE and all the Snapcaster decks that the Jace unban has forced down our throats because WotC has no idea what they're doing and they ruined everything.

So yeah, Eidolon is there for Bloodbraid because lol Snapcaster decks in modern.

Settle was a card I wanted to try but I never play modern to do so. Then I saw Caleb with it in his sideboard for the exact same reason I wanted to play it (it's a Wrath that looks like a Company instead of a Wrath and also lets you attack while protecting yourself from a counter-attack) which was at least a little bit vindicating. Runed Halo has been consistently great, RiP probably won me a game or maybe 2, the rest are pretty standard cards that all pulled their weight.

Except for Jace. That card is BAD in modern.

So let's get on with the games, shallst we?

Round 1 we get paired against Junk flip lands/Approach/main-deck Carnage Tyrants/0 hope of ever winning this match, 12.5 color Saheeli cat, Sun Titan, Lotus Cobra, Kiki-Resto nonsense, and Merfolk.

I win the die roll, mull a 1-lander with a Hierarch which is great if I draw a land on turn 2 and my Hierarch lives, and 100% loses the game immediately if both of the above don't happen. I mull a 6 with one of my colorless lands as its only land. I keep 2x Queller, land x2, Rattlechains. Dylan also mulls to 5 game 1. Off to a great start.

My opponent starts with a Stomping Ground so I know I'm already dead regardless of what he's playing. Then he plays a Birds of Paradise and apparently I can win after all. He plays a Lotus Cobra, Oath of Nissas up a Saheeli, and passes. I play land, attack with Rattlechains, Quell his Saheeli, pass. I play land, attack for 4, Quell his Saheeli, pass. He misses land #3, does nothing, I flash in a lord, attack for a bunch, and pass. He plays a bird on chump blocking duty against my lethal attack, I draw a Path and send it, and his hopes of not dying to a mull to 5, farming.

Out: 4 Geist, 1 Wanderer
In: Runed Halo, Settle, Eidolon, EE x2,

Game 2 I keep a decent 6, tap out for a turn 2 play of some sort and die on turn 3 on the draw. My only possible way to stop that is 1 of my 4 Paths which I didn't have and didn't think there was a point in representing.

Game 3 I keep Settle, Halo, Company, 3x land + Gavony. It's not a great hand but it does a lot of what I want in this matchup. Plan A is don't die to the combo, which Runed Halo does very well. Plan B is kill them. This hand does that with Gavony + Company eventually hopefully. Plan C is don't die to their anemic creature beats. The deck already does that pretty well, and Settle also covers that.

Turn 2 Halo on cat keeps me safe from the easy combo, which is my main way to lose. All he's done is played a Voice. Next turn I play a Hierarch + Selfless Spirit followed by a Company on the next turn and end up with a board of Hierach, Lord, Selfless Spirit, Wanderer. He goes for a Fiery Justice on all my guys, then changes it to the guys he can actually target, with the 2 remaining going at me.

So here's one of the very few choices I made all day: how do I counter this? Selfless Spirit hits harder but is more narrow in its application. I believe he was on a 3 turn clock at the time with most draws increasing it to 2. Wanderer doesn't usually hit as hard but was a Flusterstorm for other spells at worst. Selfless Spirit really only attacks and counters more Fiery Justices, which a Wanderer might not be able to. I decided to sac the Wanderer, which I think was right because afaik that deck doesn't play Chord and he should have taken his Eldritch Evolutions out. I draw a land which lets me kill him next turn with Gavony. He sacs Voice to Eldritch Evolution (welp) and concedes after looking through his deck twice.

Dylan has lost to Chalice of the Void on 1 and 2. Mike is still in game 1 with 15 minutes and about to lose to a Carnage Tyrant. Mikes loses game 2 horribly to a million different flip lands.

Me: 1/0 Team 0/1

Round 2 we get paired against some people we know, "Team Goodstuff Decks." They're playing the same deck as Mike except with red and better cards, Esper Shadow, and Grixis Delver. Well their name fits better than ours anyway. I lose the die roll, Mike mulls to 5, I mull to a 6 with 2 Rattlechains, Queller, Lord, 2 lands. He Thoughtseizes my lord and I draw another immediately. Classic. I try to play slowly because my experience is that just jamming cards is a great way to die to 1-for-1 removal. You need to get Rattlechains value and your Selfless Spirits need to actually protect your stuff instead of eating a Fatal Push. By waiting until I can protect my plays, I make sure his removal is dead. On turn 4 I play a Hierarch and attack 1 of my 2 Rattlechains into his freshly cast Lingering Souls tokens. He blocks with 1 and looks confused when I tell him it dies. Apparently he didn't know you don't have to announce exalted, which I didn't care enough to do because that seems like something someone who almost exclusively plays modern should know. I feel a little bad, but eh. He plays a 5/5 and next turn an 8/8 but I've got too much of an air force and they're too good at protecting each other and he dies horribly so I just take 18 and make him take 20.

Mike loses horribly and quickly. Dylan easily wins game 1 because Monastery Mentor is a dumb card.

Out: 4x Geist, 1x Path
In: 2x RiP, Runed Halo, Jace, Settle

I BARELY wanted to bring Jace in here. And if this isn't where I want Jace, I just don't think he should be in the deck.

I mull to 6, draw nothing, my turn 2 RiP is too slow for his turn 2 turn 2 5/5 which had Stubborn Denial protection 100% of the time and he has 2 Stubborn Denials and 2 Paths for my Companies, blockers, and Settle anyway.

Out: 2x RiP
In: 1x EE, 1x Path

I mull to 6, keep 4 lands, Halo, Company. He mulls to 6, keeps 1 land, and Thoughtseizes my Halo. So he 100% has a Stubborn Denial.

Dylan has blind flipped a Terminus to get rid of Delver, Deathrite, and Angler. We high 5.
I look a little closer and see that Dylan has 4 very good cards against his opponent's 0. Dylan's match is over, even if they're still playing. So it's all on me.

He misses on land #2 for a very long time. I play some crappy creatures and plink away at his life. He eventually kills them. Him starting at 15 was nice though. We do nothing for a long time while I poke him for 2 a turn. I finally draw my 5th 5th land and of course it's one of the 2 lands left in the deck that ETB tapped. He plays an Angler so I have to...

Wait hold on

Dylan has blind flipped 1 of the 2 Brainstorms left in his deck off of his Predict. We discuss the extremely high skill level required to play and do well in Magic: the Gathering, a children's card game, in a calm and mature fashion

Ok back to me getting destroyed.

I have to make another decision! He has 1 land untapped and the odds of him not having Stubborn Denial are 0. So basically my question is, do I Company or no? I decide to force him to have it, which he does obv, in the hopes that I'll draw 1 of my Paths, Companies, or Jace. Any 1 of them almost certainly ends the game. I'm not entirely sure what was right. There was maybe a way for me to get him to tap both of his lands at some point so I could cast it, but it seemed extremely unlikely.

I draw a land. I inform my team that we should have kept my original team name of Team 0/2 drop. And here's 2 more lands. I'm at 7 but I've got him down to 3 against my Mausoleum Wanderer which immediately dies in response to me drawing and casting a lethal lord. But he had to fetch to cast his Zealous Persecution so down to 2 he goes! With a hand of 7 cards, and me with 7 lands, 2 more in hand, and a worse Thunder Spirit.

Dylan is refusing to let his opponent concede because he's having too much fun. I point out to Dylan that he's about to deck himself, and if he does that I'm making him pay me $30 for my tournament entry. He plays a Mentor and wins next turn.

He attacks me to put me to 2. I don't block. If he has a Brutality I'm dead but that was always true. If he has literal anything I'm dead, but again that was always true. He casts Serum Visions and plays a fetch. I get a bit optimistic about the fact that I'm getting another turn but he's done this several times already this game so I quickly push that optimism right back where it belongs. I draw a Selfless Spirit. Ok, well if he doesn't have 2 removal spells, I at least don't die but he's got 3 lands now so his deck will be fully online on his next turn and I've got nothing. No point in playing it before I attack so I just attack. Aaaaand he.... takes 2? We win? My jaw literally drops. His hand of 2x Lingering Souls, 2x Thoughtseize, Street Wraith, and some other card gets a small laugh of disbelief from me before I tell him I'm sorry for his luck.

We're on the board!
Me: 2/0
Team: 1/1

This is already long af and I'm tired and work in the morning so I'll write the rest up tomorrow.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

We discuss the extremely high skill level required to play and do well in Magic: the Gathering, a children's card game, in a calm and mature fashion

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

Basics: it dodges Blood Moon as well as Wasteland and Price of Progress (and as of recently in Legacy, Back to Basics). It's a way to (almost) ensure that you will get to cast spells.

Lands coming into play tapped is a huge drawback. If your lands enter tapped and your opponent's lands don't, you're a full turn behind what they're doing. They're doing powerful things before you are.

So is there really any good reason to use them? It seems to me if you want to play 3 colors without ABUR duals, they are at least serviceable.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

So is there really any good reason to use them? It seems to me if you want to play 3 colors without ABUR duals, they are at least serviceable.

Basics are much more popular in Modern and Legacy than taplands or the tri-color lands just because if your land can't come in untapped, it's enough of a tempo loss that it makes the rest of your deck bad by proxy.

Looking at the SCG Classics and Open from last weekend, the only lands in Legacy top-8 decks that always came in tapped were Bojuka Bog, Sheltered Thicket and Tranquil Thicket, all in Lands, all of which are played for reasons other than mana. Modern's top 8 had two Creeping Tar Pits in Grixis Control and then bouncelands and utility lands in Amulet, which is built around and named for a card that says "untap anything that comes into play tapped under your control."

Basics are preferable to the taplands because they never come in tapped, they never get hosed by nonbasic hate and they're fetchable; the fetchlands really are the key to playing multiple colors in the non-rotating formats. The hit from needing to play a tapped land is just too big. I would confidently say that any 3+ color Modern or Legacy deck would see better results with a mana base of fetchlands and basics than with a mana base of taplands.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

tzirean posted:

Basics are much more popular in Modern and Legacy than taplands or the tri-color lands just because if your land can't come in untapped, it's enough of a tempo loss that it makes the rest of your deck bad by proxy.

Looking at the SCG Classics and Open from last weekend, the only lands in Legacy top-8 decks that always came in tapped were Bojuka Bog, Sheltered Thicket and Tranquil Thicket, all in Lands, all of which are played for reasons other than mana. Modern's top 8 had two Creeping Tar Pits in Grixis Control and then bouncelands and utility lands in Amulet, which is built around and named for a card that says "untap anything that comes into play tapped under your control."

Basics are preferable to the taplands because they never come in tapped, they never get hosed by nonbasic hate and they're fetchable; the fetchlands really are the key to playing multiple colors in the non-rotating formats. The hit from needing to play a tapped land is just too big. I would confidently say that any 3+ color Modern or Legacy deck would see better results with a mana base of fetchlands and basics than with a mana base of taplands.

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed reply (and to EvilBeard as well). My only 3 color deck is my nostalgia deck, so I'll probably leave it as is, and focus on my WU Painter Paladin deck I want to build.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So anyway, ROUND THREE! This is where it all fell apart.

Before we even sit down, one of our opponents asks "which one of you is Steve." I raise my hand and say "the one with a match win" even though Dylan also has one. The same guy asks "are you also on Tron?! I've played the Tron mirror twice already!" so it's apparently going to be one of those matches. I tell him yes, I'm playing Blue Tron. I get my deck box out, remove my storm count token and put it on top of the box. He notices and tells his team he's about to get crushed. Score one for my stupid "put tokens in the deck they don't belong in" gimmick!
Mike gets paired against UW cycling, Dylan gets paired against Death and Taxes, and I assume I'm playing G/RG Tron.

I lose the die roll and ask Dylan about a sketchy 7 which is good against a few decks but very bad against Tron. He mentions that he saw an Ugin while the guy was shuffling so that makes it an easy mull. I keep Wanderer, Hierarch, Path, and 2 or 3 lands. It's a good draw or 2 away from being good enough. Tron land go. I fetch and play a Mausoleum Wanderer and mention that I may have lied to him. He thought we were friends, he complains. There are no friends in Magic, I coolly reply, only people you hate less. Dylan believes he's one of the people I hates less but I put on sunglasses and tell him that the opposite is true. Then I leave because Magic is for nerds, but not before getting a refund. And thus ends my Cool Steve fanfic. He runs out another Tron land, a bauble, cycles for green, and makes me sac a Wanderer on a Sylvan Scrying.

Mike is already losing game 1 to double Drake Haven and a Sarcophagus. He has 5 removal spells in hand, which even combined can't kill a single Gearhulk. Dylan has a Mentor out with Force of Will backup. 2/1 it'll have to be.

I play Hierarch and Wanderer, attack for 2, and hope to draw Geist, Gavony, and/or Company. He does the exact same thing as last turn minus the part where he played a land. I'm even less inclined to let it resolve now. I'll be honest, I don't remember most of the rest of this game except I had a good enough Company and he eventually drew 2 more lands followed by an O-Stone while he was on a 2 turn clock, and didn't draw the 5th land to not die to I think double lord plus some stuff.

I mention the Firespouts I saw him buying earlier. He jokingly pretends not to know what I'm talking about. This has no impact on my sideboarding, I just thought it was funny.

Mike has lost horribly.

Dylan has a Jace, a Mentor, and 5 Mentor tokens against a Batterskull (DON'T GET BATTERSKULL AGAINST MIRACLES, DEATH AND TAXES PLAYERS!) Thalia, and Stoneforge. He fateseals and sees a Stoneforge and asks me what to do with it. Without looking very closely, I tell him to keep it and he agrees. Then Dylan dies to Jitte on Thalia because he somehow doesn't have any spells he can cast to trigger prowess. At this point I realize I've been shuffling without having sideboarded so I do that.

Out: 4 Path, 2 Image
In: 2 Stony, 2 Negate, 2 Pridemage

We both go to 6. Mine is great with a Hierarch, Negate, Company, and lands. He starts with a Mine, then plays Ghost Quarter and Map which I Negate. His next land is a Grove so I'm pretty sure I can't lose.

Dylan draws one of his main deck Pyroblasts. I ask him how they're working out for him.

I Company into a lord and some other stuff and he dies 2 turns later, having done nothing all game except for cycle like 7 baubles.

A quick Mentor takes game 2 for Dylan and we've got 20 minutes-ish left. Which should ve plenty. The opponent mulls to 4. 2/1 confirmed. He has turn 1 Vial, which matches up poorly against Dylan's Containment Priest and Jace. We use Portent and Jace to keep him off of lands. At some point we tap down to 1 mana to Clique, which was probably a mistake, and he Plows the Priest and resets a Jace on 9 with a Vialed in Flickerwisp. He takes way too long (like 15 seconds) to declare that he's done with his turn when every single person at the table knows he has 0 plays. Dylan Portents, everything dies to Terminus on his upkeep and we waste several minutes getting Terminus's oracle text because apparently that's the kind of match he's decided to play. We get a 1 minute extension for the 2.5 minutes we lost. The 2nd Containment Priest comes down, Jace goes up, and now the game is still over again.
Tank, tank, tank, Thalia (his only possible play) pass. Dylan plays a Mentor, Plows Thalia, and Disenchants the Vial. Tank, tank, tank, no plays, pass. Mentor gets plowed and re-Thalia stops the tokens from being able to attack. Jace is at 9. Tank, tank, tank, tank, play Mom which is the only card he can play given his mana. Dylan Terminuses again. Jace goes to 11. Tank, tank, tank, pass. Jace goes to 13. Tank, tank, time is called, tank, tank, Prelate on 1. Jace ults, shuffling a 6 card hand into his deck. A new Jace bounces Prelate. Brainstorm, draw 3. Ponder, Predict, draw 2. Brainstorm, draw 3. Tank, tank, tank, play Prelate on 1. We EOT Snapcaster Predict.
Turn 3 and 4 nothing happens. Turn 5 we Brainstorm and reveal 9 cards, of which 6 are removal spells from CMC 1-6. He is 0% to win, has played at a glacial pace, and decides he's "going to go for the draw," as if that wasn't painfully obvious from how he played.

Me: 3/0
Team 1/1/1 (but really 2/1)

So round 4. We can still top 8 (it was top 8 instead of 4 for some reason) if we win from here.

Mike gets paired against some kind of UB mirror. Dylan is against some poor soul who's still playing ANT in the year of our lord 2018. I'll be honest, I was rooting for him. I know the feeling of not wanting to give up a deck long past its time. I'm paired against, well, Tron.

I lose the die roll, keep a habd with 2x Hierarch, Wanderer, Rattlechains, Company and 2 lands. That's 2 7 card hands I've kept in 9 games so I'm running pretty hot (I wish that was sarcasm.) He leads with Tron and no plays so I start with a Wanderer for a Sylvan Scrying. He plays Tron + Chalice.

Oh. Well I guess I'm dead. That's alright, I've got a Rattlechains, a Selfless Spirit, and a Drogskol Captain. I can probably just race if he doesn't have natural Tron and multiple Smashers. I play my Selfless Spirit, he plays Natural Tron, Chalice on 2, Matter Reshaper. Ok well now I'm dead. I draw and play my 3rd land and a Geist and attack. I can actually still win this unless he has... Reality Smasher to attack me to 3. Which he does I EOT Spell Queller which gives me a lethal board if I draw any number of things. 2 Mausoleum Wanderer triggers or 1 lord is very lethal. Land for Company is almost certainly lethal. I look at the Moorland Haunt in play and laugh at the fact that if it was the stock Cavern of Souls that most people play I would have deterministically won this game. I naturally don't draw a 4th land so I decide on my usual plan of "hope my opponent is bad." I cast Phantasmal Image. The look of confusion slowly draining to despair on his face tells me he is, in fact, bad. I wait and wait, becoming more confident in my victory with each passing second.

He points to his Chalice on 2.

Out: 4 Geist, 1 Wanderer
In: War Monk, 2 Pridemage, Settle, Runed Halo

I keep a good if slow 6 of Settle, Company, Halo. I have a pretty solid plan of Halo on Thought-Knot, Settle all his guys away, Company into stuff. I forget to fetch on turn 1 so I can play a Runed Halo on 2, fetch the wrong land on turn 2 so I can play it on 3, end up having to shock myself so I can hold up Company on 4. So I guess this is how I break my streak. He plays a Thought-Knot on 4, I Company into Queller + Wanderer. He plays a Thought-Knot on 5, I Company into Queller + lord. He plays a Ballista on 1 against my not quite lethal board, with an exactly lethal hand, and lets me untap for some reason. I shock myself to get to 6 mana + the Gavony activation which makes it 1 short of lethal. I attack, activate Gavony, he tries to Ballista my Wanderer, and I flash in Rattlechains to save it. He tanks for a while, I show him that Dismember is lethal regardless of targets but Warping Wail buys a turn if he has it. He scoops.

Dylan and Mike have lost but there's lots of time in the round so I ask him if he wants to keep playing anyway. He does.

I mull to a 6 with 2 lands, Hierarch, Captain, Image, and Company. He mulls to 4 and starts with a Wastes. I play turn 2 Captain into Image. He Warping Wails my Hierarch. He assembles natural Tron on turn 4 and Though-Knots me, seeing Wanderer, Company, Rattlechains. I'm on 2 lands and he takes Company. Ok? I play Wanderer. He plays All is Dust, which I counter with Wanderer (he mentions that taking the Company was a pretty big mistake.) My Rattlechains gets Thought-Knotted, but I have a 2 turn clock, so everything is good. My draw step sends his Thought-Knot farming, and I draw a Rhino off of it which Dylan tells me to play because the game is over and it would be a shame not to play it. I don't play it. I bash him to 3ish, confirm that he has no hand, and ask him very politely not to draw another All is dust. He draws another All is Dust. What a jerk. Lucky for me I didn't listen to Dylan, and even more lucky for me, I draw a Hierarch which was one of my better possible draws. Rhino + Hierarch, go. He plays a land, I attack with a 4/5. He chumps, I draw a Settle. He plays a land, I draw a Company (which I cast) and attack for more life than he has.

Team: 1/2/1
Me: 4/0

Round 5. The redemption round. Time to win one and not end up with a losing record. Gonna rally the team and crush these lousy 3 pointers!

The lousy 3 pointers don't show up. We spend 10 minutes discussing the day and are declared the winners. :toot: Not exactly how I wanted to end the day tbh, but I'll settle for undefeated and 80% of our match wins.

So in short, we picked the wrong standard deck, not that there were other options really, and apparently modern is already on anti-Bloodbraid decks which I'm MUCH better against. Legacy is legacy. People play what they have.

So team tournaments own even if you hate the format and don't have very many interesting decisions or games.

Our final record of games we actually played:
Team: 1/2/1
Me: 4/0, 8/3 in games
Dylan: 1.9/2/1, 4/5/1 in games
Mike: 0/4, 0/8 in games

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'm debating selling off more legacy cards since I barely have time to play anymore. I want to keep 1 deck still intact to play, but it feels like a huge waste of money to keep all of these cards without actually playing them. It's between miracles or Czech pile which I want to keep. Ive played a lot of both now, but I played pre-ban miracles much more. Downside to keeping Czech pile is I only have 2 underground seas so the manabase always feels like a slight compromise. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be better to keep?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

One of those decks will be unplayable when Deathrite is banned and one will just be bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like the value of cards in good cards.dec will mostly hold even if deathrite is banned.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

I feel like the value of cards in good cards.dec will mostly hold even if deathrite is banned.

ban deathrite let me play goblins again

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

ban deathrite let me play goblins again

You'll still need a whole lot more bans before that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
On the subject of selling off stuff, what should/can I do with two LotVs in Modern? It's getting harder and harder to justify hanging on to them since I don't plan on building Jund/Junk, but I also know that I'll probably never buy them back if I offload them. I was toying with the ideas of some sort of Grixis or Esper Control build that could run them but I don't know how viable those sorts of decks are.