Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Darks Souls 1 is amazing but also nostalgic by now.
Darks Souls 2 is great, it does a lot of things right compared to 1; and some things less well.
Darks Souls 3 seems pretty drat cool, I'm about halfway.

Metroid Fusion is the 2nd best Metroid. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My opinion of Dark Souls is that Dante should have been the one to fill them with light.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I Before E posted:

My opinion of Dark Souls is that Dante should have been the one to fill them with light.
DMC4 Dante with d-pad styleswitching and I agree.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zedd posted:

Darks Souls 1 is amazing but also nostalgic by now.
Darks Souls 2 is great, it does a lot of things right compared to 1; and some things less well.
Darks Souls 3 seems pretty drat cool, I'm about halfway.

3 I thought was alright, but it just felt like it wasn't trying anything new like 2 or Bloodborne were.

Also the PvP in 3 sucked/probably still sucks, the matchmaker trying to put you in worlds with multiple players by design, among the other issues is some :nallears: poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I think in my mind DS1 pvp will always be the best, Invading in Anor Londo and just camping on that part with a tanky build.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yardbomb posted:

Also the PvP in 3 sucked/probably still sucks, the matchmaker trying to put you in worlds with multiple players by design, among the other issues is some :nallears: poo poo.

Dakr Souls PvP is universally awful so reducingnce to be invaded while playing solo was one of the best things DS3 did.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dakr Souls PvP is universally awful so reducingnce to be invaded while playing solo was one of the best things DS3 did.

Nah, it makes the games a lot more interesting for the most part. Getting shitters playing twinked out characters sucks in any game, but that's never been a majority of the PvP, otherwise it's mostly people trying to screw around, trying to progress in covenants, people trying to do dumb gimmicks, people trying to find dumb gimmicks, the games would have a whole, whole lot less character without it, as much as I love Bloodborne it sucked that there was practically one area in the whole game where their invasion stuff actually ever worked so you rarely if ever got to mess with people with all the weird rear end weapons and builds that game had.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, it makes the games a lot more interesting for the most part.
I never enjoyed it once across the 3 games and various bits of DLC. By the end I'd just alt-F4 out to avoid it. The stuff I liked in the series was the atmosphere and exploration (or goofing around with friends), and PvP was just someone else having fun at my expense.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

3 I thought was alright, but it just felt like it wasn't trying anything new like 2 or Bloodborne were.

I tend to be very negative on 3 but I did mostly enjoy playing it. The only times I can think of where I actively disliked playing it were in the DLC (and I was super underleveled for the first DLC because I was going for a scythe run so that may have colored it).

I felt like it kinda learned the wrong lessons from Bloodborne and the sometimes harsh reception 2 would get.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
3's PvP is really solid, there's not really a single mechanic that you can easily exploit that doesn't have a counter like the other 2, and it has a kind of fighting game feel when it comes to things like spacing and attack startups and stuff, it's the only dark souls game that I've intentionally gone out of my way to do PvP

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:woop:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Demon's Souls is actually the best one because it's weird and experimental and doesn't always work right.

Also add Suspiria to that CineD movie marathon.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Demon's Souls is actually the best one because it's weird and experimental and doesn't always work right.

Also add Suspiria to that CineD movie marathon.

Sup, Demon's Souls buddy?

I never liked the world tendency stuff in its execution. The idea is awesome but it didn't quite turn out all that good. Also the upgrade stuff in that game was insanely grindy and bad. But yeah, I imported the game because I didn't think it would come out here then bought it again when it did.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ZVqsu9cmk

I love how he calls it "a game about bothering women into loving you."

:discourse:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Sup, Demon's Souls buddy?

I never liked the world tendency stuff in its execution. The idea is awesome but it didn't quite turn out all that good. Also the upgrade stuff in that game was insanely grindy and bad. But yeah, I imported the game because I didn't think it would come out here then bought it again when it did.

Yeah, the World Tendency thing had me mostly playing offline to game it, and while it's cool to see the worlds change, I'm not sure it was worth it.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Bloodbourne is 'free' on PS+ at the moment. I've been playing it for a few days, it's my first Souls style game. I have yet to find evidence that you can leave the starting area or ever level up.

That's my Bloodbourne story.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zedd posted:

Woah, now hold on a second!!!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KayTee posted:

Bloodbourne is 'free' on PS+ at the moment. I've been playing it for a few days, it's my first Souls style game. I have yet to find evidence that you can leave the starting area or ever level up.

You can level up after meeting one of the two possible first bosses iirc. You gain your first point of a stat called Insight and that unlocks the level up in the Hunter's Dream. Usually you'll die quite a few times as you learn the levels and bosses.

I'm not very good at these game, and have yet to clear a single one (still stuck at False King Allant in Demon's Souls), but through trial and error I've managed to get pretty far and love them.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve played and enjoyed Dark Souls 1 & 3, but in some ways I think Nioh is actually better than either of them. The world is split up into smaller levels rather than being one big sprawling maze, but the story is more coherent and it lacks the nihilistic tone of DS, which was always my least favorite part of those games. It also has optional pseudo-pvp where you fight computer-controlled copies of other players’ characters, which is fun and offers a little extra challenge without worrying about the kind of annoyances associated with actual online play.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 10, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Demon's Souls is way easier than the other games

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

In Demon's Souls about half or more of the bosses are very slow-paced, deliberate puzzle fights where you aren't under immediate pressure but making a mistake is fatal, and I kinda miss that (being done well...not you, Bed of Chaos). There's a bunch of hints to what would come with Flamelurker, Maneater, and King Allant but they weren't every boss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KayTee posted:

If only Sony didn't censor all info on how to play Bloodborne on the internet.

Just like the location of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, it'll forever be a mystery.

*Runs pennies along a washboard into a bowl of tomato soup, trying to figure out directions to an airport*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Is it weird that Flamelurker was the only boss that gave me trouble in DeS?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Not really.

The number of bosses that can't be reduced to a complete non-threat in DeS if you know how all their tricks and how to really abuse mechanics can be counted on one hand.

Funnily enough, Flamelurker doesn't make that shortlist though because they never really fixed his pathfinding, and he's so weak to magic that he just melts once you get him caught up.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

DeS was my first Souls game and every boss kicked my rear end aside from the Storm King and one of the swamp bosses.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

RareAcumen posted:

If only Sony didn't censor all info on how to play Bloodborne on the internet.

Just like the location of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, it'll forever be a mystery.

*Runs pennies along a washboard into a bowl of tomato soup, trying to figure out directions to an airport*

Are you implying that I should cheat? :colbert:

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

https://longboxcinema.wordpress.com

I know we typical link to video reviews, but I recently started a blog where I post my analyses and critiques of comic book movies. So far I have three articles posted. One is a look at how both the narrative and meta-narrative of Batman Forever revolves around the power dynamic between the performer and the spectator. There is also a look at the satirical stylings of the action sequences in Zack Snyder's Watchmen. As well as a short critique of James McTeigue's V for Vendetta.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 11, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

agreed

with prime being the best metroid

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The best Metroid is Metroid 2 for the Game Boy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The best Metroid is also the best Zelda: the first 2/3 of Okami.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The best metroid is samus returns

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's a weird way to spell Cave Story.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Cave Story isn't actually a metroid, it just borrows the aesthetic. It's as linear as Other M.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

achillesforever6 posted:

a part of the LK mafia.

IT'S A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS CLUB OF CLOSELY ASSOCIATED COMPLETELY LEGAL COMPANIES! YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING.

edit oh LordKat, never mind i said nothing you heard nothing

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

CountFosco posted:

I would be very happy if RLM would edit the prequel critique videos to cut out the rapey-live action poo poo that really does age poorly. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard.

So you want them to make a Special Edition with rape replaced by radios, and Han doesn't rape first?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

So you want them to make a Special Edition with rape replaced by radios, and Han doesn't rape first?

What about the Blu-Ray version, where they replace Jay with Hayden Christensen for pretty much no reason?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The best Metroid would be Super Metroid if it had a better map system.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

I’ve played and enjoyed Dark Souls 1 & 3, but in some ways I think Nioh is actually better than either of them. The world is split up into smaller levels rather than being one big sprawling maze, but the story is more coherent and it lacks the nihilistic tone of DS, which was always my least favorite part of those games. It also has optional pseudo-pvp where you fight computer-controlled copies of other players’ characters, which is fun and offers a little extra challenge without worrying about the kind of annoyances associated with actual online play.

Dark Souls isn't nihilistic. Especially not DaS3, with the correct ending being the one with an explicit "it's okay there's gonna be more poo poo later."

Junpei Hyde posted:

Flamelurker's only easy if you trip him up on the level geometry, otherwise he's one of the only challenging ones. Although to be fair like every Demon's Souls boss suffers from having one weird trick.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lornekates posted:

IT'S A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS CLUB OF CLOSELY ASSOCIATED COMPLETELY LEGAL COMPANIES! YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING.

edit oh LordKat, never mind i said nothing you heard nothing

:same:

Edit: I haven’t played Cave Story, does it hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

:same:

Edit: I haven’t played Cave Story, does it hold up?

It’s a nice little open ended platformer/shooter, nothing about its core mechanics have really aged at all

Only downside is the really obtuse true ending route and that was always a problem

• Locked thread