Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Just some safari advice, I went to Kruger national park in SA last year (which is incredible as an aside). My partner had her crop body Canon +400mm f5.6 as usual, and I had my panny with 60mm macro and 15mm summilux. There were some shots, mainly of lions and birds, that I just couldn't get and she could, but otherwise the 60mm was in its element considering how large and close the animals are. I suppose it depends on where you are and the season, but if you figure on just getting the longest lens you can on your platform and leaving it on, you'll miss a lot of shots. If you are the only person shooting, something like a 70-200mm zoom or roughly in that range is going to be a lot more useful.

E- or what InternetJunky said - 100-400 zoom.

This is good to know. I'm basically only rolling my 300mm +TC, 40-150mm, and a 25mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
After spending way too long looking at the Flickriver "most interesting photos" pages for various Fuji lenses, I realized that I definitely wanted something really wide so my first purchase was a Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2.0 on ebay today. I will be pairing it up with either a 35mm F2 or the 18-55 lens for general use. It really helped clarify what kind of photo I like. The 23mm pages looked good but I kept feeling like the wide landscape shots were not wide enough, and the more narrow target shots could have been more focused.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

cheese posted:

The 23mm pages looked good but I kept feeling like the wide landscape shots were not wide enough, and the more narrow target shots could have been more focused.

Completely agree with that, it's just a bit too narrow to work properly for landscapes - and many other things I thought I'd use it for, but it's still nice for general medium wide shots.

I made the mistake of not picking up a wider lens for stuff like that. Had to help a friend out with his real estate rental business by grabbing a few interior house shots and it just totally failed for the project, though I thought I'd be able to make it work... not even close, no chair in the corner corner or table I climbed on would help. Was not prepared and really regret it. Looking up some sample shots for that lens now, just in case it happens again anytime soon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Anyone that wants wide Fuji shots should pick up a 10-24. It's great and the only zoom lens I've ever really liked. The 16mm is faster and slightly sharper but having options is great.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

8th-snype posted:

Anyone that wants wide Fuji shots should pick up a 10-24. It's great and the only zoom lens I've ever really liked. The 16mm is faster and slightly sharper but having options is great.
Ya if I had the money for that kind of lens, I would. Rokinon 12mm was only 240 on ebay so quite a bit cheaper. 10-24 is too much for a lens that wouldnt be on my camera the majority of the time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Oh yeah the 12mm is good. I just mean if you regularly shoot social documentary or landscapes and need that wide of a FOV the 10-24 is perfect. It's not fast enough for low light work but it's serviceable in mediocre light.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Oh yeah the 12mm is good. I just mean if you regularly shoot social documentary or landscapes and need that wide of a FOV the 10-24 is perfect. It's not fast enough for low light work but it's serviceable in mediocre light.

The IS makes it good for low light landscapes. Not so much social.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Fair enough. Think this 12mm F2 will do me for landscapes, inside of churches and old buildings when on vacation, etc.

I'm tracking and preparing to bid on multiple 35mm F2 and 18-55's on ebay, I still haven't decided.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I just got the Godox tt350f/Adorama Flashpoint Mini. TTL works pretty well. It's a cute little flash that just give you enough taste. IMO Fuji should just make their own version and bundle it with their flagship bidies.

Has anyone tried off camera TTL with this flash and a canon flash cable?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Firmware update for the EM1 Mk II:

quote:

New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
"Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved.
Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
Color reproduction of photographed images has been improved.
Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.
Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.

E: There are updates to the 300mm f/4 as well, largely improved stabilization.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 5, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Animal posted:

The IS makes it good for low light landscapes. Not so much social.

It's fine for social in good light. I use mine all the time at outdoor weddings. Not every documentary photo is shot in the dark.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
XH1 arrived yesterday. It's such a huge handling difference for one, and it's going to take some time to get the feel down. The most striking thing? Putting the 90mm on it. The IS turns that lens from a thing of beauty into something surreal. I cannot explain how much better it feels with the constant IS on.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ebay has 20% on everything coupon PSPRING20 valid for today. So if you are eyeing an expensive lens for a while this is perfect time to save up to $100.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Thanks. Just pulled the trigger on a 300mm FD I'm gonna try on my fuji.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Thanks. Just pulled the trigger on a 300mm FD I'm gonna try on my fuji.

:yeah:

Don't have much to show for it but I have a great time with my 300mm L FD and X-T1.

Here's a quick cell snap of the view from my bedroom:

view
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

These were taken from the same window:

Green circle is this (albeit cropped)

DSCF7557.jpg

Red circle was this, not cropped:

DSCF7183.jpg

Super fun combo and the cheapest way to get some big reach on Fuji. My FD lenses are the reason I'm planning to upgrade to an X-H1 this summer.

Rot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 10, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
how slow can you go with a manual 200mm/300mm lens on a X-H1?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'll let you know next week.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I want to impulse buy the XF 56mm 1.2 with this eBay sale going on. I've kinda felt like I need a longer lens for taking photos of my friends band and portraits while hiking.

Is the 56mm a good choice vs. the cheaper 50mm for these activities? Already have the 35mm 1.4 and 27mm 2.8.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the 50 is tiny, that alone gives it an edge for hiking

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

underage at the vape shop posted:

the 50 is tiny, that alone gives it an edge for hiking

Very good point. The price difference too, earlier I was looking at a bid not buy it now. :/

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

whatever7 posted:

ebay has 20% on everything coupon PSPRING20 valid for today. So if you are eyeing an expensive lens for a while this is perfect time to save up to $100.
Does it only work on buy it now?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

CRAYON posted:

I want to impulse buy the XF 56mm 1.2 with this eBay sale going on. I've kinda felt like I need a longer lens for taking photos of my friends band and portraits while hiking.

Is the 56mm a good choice vs. the cheaper 50mm for these activities? Already have the 35mm 1.4 and 27mm 2.8.

I've got a 56 1.2 for sale in the marketplace thread

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Meanwhile I’m cheap and saw a lens for cheap so used this discount to enhance my cheapness :toot:

Got a used Oly 45/1.8 for a little under $150 with the discount. It’ll be nice to have more reach than my 20mm, and a lot smaller and faster than the cheapo 40-150/4-5.6 I don’t use enough.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cheese posted:

Does it only work on buy it now?

The coupon only work from noon to 10pm ish last night, so it also worked for auctions that ended during that window.

Slickdeal felt like Black Friday yesterday, everybody tried to landrush large item deals. Hilarious.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

CRAYON posted:

The 56 is an amazing lens and it isn’t big or heavy enough to be prohibitive for hiking. I take it out all the time and it’s probably my favorite lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

japtor posted:

Meanwhile I’m cheap and saw a lens for cheap so used this discount to enhance my cheapness :toot:

Got a used Oly 45/1.8 for a little under $150 with the discount. It’ll be nice to have more reach than my 20mm, and a lot smaller and faster than the cheapo 40-150/4-5.6 I don’t use enough.

Great lens, you'll like it :toot:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

rio posted:

The 56 is an amazing lens and it isn’t big or heavy enough to be prohibitive for hiking. I take it out all the time and it’s probably my favorite lens.

I think the utility of the 56 seals the deal for me and it's going to be the next Fuji prime I pick up. I need something with portrait bokeh applicability in addition to short tele landscape and lowlight/event so it seems to hit all the marks.

The bokeh and sharpness of the 90/2, though..

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

whatever7 posted:

The coupon only work from noon to 10pm ish last night, so it also worked for auctions that ended during that window.

Slickdeal felt like Black Friday yesterday, everybody tried to landrush large item deals. Hilarious.
Well poo poo. I've honestly not used Ebay for much. The Samyang 12mm F2 I bought for my X-E2s arrived and its a great little lens. Sooooo wide and the rings turn nicely. Pretty easy to focus although I do need to check to see if the infinity marker is truly infinity (supposedly an issue with that).

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is $379 a good deal for a Fuji Xt-10 body in *like new* condition?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think the utility of the 56 seals the deal for me and it's going to be the next Fuji prime I pick up. I need something with portrait bokeh applicability in addition to short tele landscape and lowlight/event so it seems to hit all the marks.

The bokeh and sharpness of the 90/2, though..

The 90 does seem killer. I just haven’t been able to justify getting it though - I have the 56 as well as the 50-145 2.8 and although the IQ on the 90 looks phenomenal, 90 on the zoom is not shabby at all and 2.8 isn’t that far off from f2 if I need that focal length and the bokeh is great on the 56 (although different than the 90) if I need that look. I also can bring the 56 out and about and get shots of almost anything I want (or practically everything I want if I couple it with the 23 1.4) but the 90 would probably not be taken out much by itself for general shooting and I do like to go for walks with only one lens.

But the 56, man that is a hell of a lens. It will really do almost anything I want it to as long as I’m being realistic (like I wouldn’t expect to go birding with it), the IQ is awesome and even wide open when it is not as sharp as stopped down a little it looks fantastic and the flaws even have a charm to them. It is actually the one lens that makes me want an X-H2, even though I am not getting one, because with f1.2 and stabilization I could get some crazy hand held shots in practically total darkness.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My XT2 kit is for sale in the sale thread. XT2, grip, kit lens, 3 batteries, $1650.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

torgeaux posted:

My XT2 kit is for sale in the sale thread. XT2, grip, kit lens, 3 batteries, $1650.

That’s a good deal and if I didn’t have one I’d be all over it. Are you switching bodies and/or systems?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

That’s a good deal and if I didn’t have one I’d be all over it. Are you switching bodies and/or systems?

Went whole hog. XH1 and 16-55 2.8. Fuji has earned my loyalty.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Besides the dang on-off switch, is there a compelling reason for me to upgrade to a later-generation EM10 from my mk1?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Mk III has 4k video, the other upgrades are pretty small.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Test shot with the 300mm f/4 FD. Easy to use, great focus control. Nice, hefty lens.

FD300 Test by B. B., on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Has anyone had the opportunity to use the Panasonic GH5 + Panasonic 100-400mm lens?

Do they combo well together? I use a Nikon D500 + Nikon 200-500mm lens for bird/wildlife photography and while they work great for photography that the setup is quite heavy and even with a gimbal mount, video is tough. As I move more into videography, is the GH5 + 100-400mm a viable video upgrade for my setup? (obviously on a technical/spec level it largely is, but I'm wondering about the video image quality through the 100-400mm lens--I know the GH5 is a stunningly-good video camera to begin with). It helps that it's about 1/3 the weight of my current setup.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Has anyone else with an X100T (or any camera with a leaf shutter I guess) ever encountered this background effect at high shutter speeds?

If I shoot all the way open above 1/900 or so I get this weird blurred bokeh effect. My guess is it has to do with the way the leaf shutter closes? I actually kind of like it, reminds me of the Helios 44 a bit.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It's because you're shooting wide open very close to the subject. This is a known effect with the x100 series lens, and the manual recommends not going faster than f/4 when you're at close distance (<18 inches). If you move back a bit it won't be as pronounced because it clears up at 'normal' distances, or stop down your aperture for closeups. If it were a sticky shutter the entire frame would be blurry, so it's most likely related to the aperture and focus.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Nah, it's a feature common to high speed leaf shutters. As a leaf shutter opens and closes it is essentially racking through the apertures from wide open to very small. This is not a huge issue in slower shutter speeds because those parts of the exposure are of a relatively short time, in a higher speed they make up significantly more of the exposure and can cause angular looking bokeh in some lighting.