Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Virtual Captain posted:

Star Citizer: Instant Garbage

Fred Armisen will make millions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Look, if Miles Eckhart can wear four jackets, Random Space Black No-Longer-Janitor can wear a long white wig. It's the goddamned future, Wulfir (if that is your real name). The wig technology wasn't in the box with the Roomba and bidet technologies that went missing.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

XK posted:

How is it 300 pages?

Its a list of all their shell corps

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ZenMaster posted:

call your developer

What do we call them?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Streetroller posted:

I just want to point out this option is absolutely idiotic.

Anyone who's ever worked with server infrastructure (clearly Clive Johnson hasn't) knows that the highest pinged user slows down the entire loving server.
This is generally why some FPS game servers boot high latency players.

I have no idea how it would work in practice, but essentially Clive's solution is to simply force everyone to have lovely ping.

Is this generally true? I would say no?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Beet Wagon posted:

Historically there was some argument over what the sawfish uses its rostrum for. Because they are rays and primarily feed on crustaceans small fish, and molluscs, some argued that the rostrum was actually mostly for detecting prey in the sand, citing the 'combing' movements and the presence of ampullae of lorenzini. Others thought the saw was for attacking larger prey, with stories of sawfish taking chunks out of things like people or whales being pretty common.

Eventually a study identified three specific behaviors, depending on where the prey was in the water column: "pin", "saw in water", and "saw on substrate". Turns out, they're kind of badass mulching machines.

I've no idea why youse guys were talking about sawfish, but I'm sorry I missed it. Only thing I can contribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfZxoCgMEc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicoprion

Oh, and I was reading this and I have to get you people to score Chris Roberts:

https://m.signalvnoise.com/the-12-signs-how-to-know-when-youre-slowly-but-surely-becoming-a-bad-manager-82fd5baff33d

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

XK posted:

How is it 300 pages?

Its the script for SQ42. They attached the wrong PDF

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

XK posted:

How is it 300 pages?

It contains a rebuttal of Chris, Sandra, and about 3 different lawyers.
I'm wondering why they feel they need more than one.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Streetroller posted:

It contains a rebuttal of Chris, Sandra, and about 3 different lawyers.
I'm wondering why they feel they need more than one.

loving lol

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The quote more accurate is: "Premature 'optimisation' is the root of all evil."

You don't write an MMO architecture shittily and then layer in the runs-well later.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 10, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

'Personally, I wish the races were segregated'.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Tippis posted:

More specifically, when you “plan” for emergent gamplay, the gameplay is by very definition not emergent. It's planned — it has not “emerged” from the unforeseeable complex interaction of simpler systems. The two concepts are inherently mutually exclusive, and that is indeed the entire point of the whole concept of emergence.

Star Citizen DOES have emergent gameplay.

The strongest gameplay for quite some time in the earlier 'pre-alpha' tech demos was moving a Big Bennies machine around, which I'm sure was not in anyway planned by anyone at CIG - and man did they then milk the poo poo out of it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Is this generally true? I would say no?

A long long time ago in a couple of games, it was, but not anymore

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

boviscopophobic posted:

The Vulcan sale is going for such a farcically long time (until April 2, or over 40 days) that the usual rough-and-ready approximation of ascribing all revenue during the sale period to the featured concept ship, is clearly inadequate. I thought it would be good to look at the sale performance in terms of increase over CIG's baseline revenue. To do this, I take the 168 hours immediately preceding the start of the sale to get CIG's current average non-sale hourly revenue, which comes out to $1342.04. I then use this for a baseline revenue estimate, which is subtracted from the raw funding totals to get an estimate of Vulcan-specific sales.

The graph is basically flatlining now, so we can infer that practically no additional Vulcans are being sold at this point.

Estimated total during the VIP-only pre-sale: $546,797.20
Estimated total to date: $764,190.10
Estimated percentage contribution of the pre-sale (the first 7 days) to the total Vulcan revenue: 71.6%

Keep in mind that nothing prevents concierge early bird VIP LTI TBQH High Admiral warbond whales from buying after the start of the general sale, so we can guess that the total contribution of plebes is somewhere less than 28%.

The ever lengthening sale duration is a conspicuous tell and there have been so many such subtle indicators that they’ve lost demand stimulation capability.

I realized yesterday that one additional signal I neglected to include in that Phantom Crash speculation is the increasing frequency of ship and other related sales pitches at the end of nearly every episode of “Around the Verse” since Thanksgiving.

It wasn’t always so.

I don’t have the stomach to endure it all at once for research’s sake. Some dives in Q1 through Q3 episodes were mostly typical of the old style wrap-ups. Fake banter about what came in the prior segment (“yes, that’s very cool”) and the obligatory “thank you to our backers for making all this possible” crap Chris and Sandi spit out every week. But “buy this ship before the sale is over!” pitches just weren’t that frequent. The whole episode is itself an ad for a fiction of their competence so cramming in yet more wasn’t seen as necessary.

Yet since Thanksgiving, the wrap-up panhandling inserts have been a constant. How strange — if the miraculous turnaround really did happen late last year — that CIG would be turbo-schlepping nearly without ceasing at the end of their most watched weekly show since then. Was it really the triumph it turned out to be? Or was the demand deflation seen in the tracker — deflation that went through so much of the year before an outsized correction — continuing as trends suggested they would even as artificial interventions kept the optics positive?

It feels like they crashed.

Here is a summary of the more aggressive ATV panhandling activity that seems to have begun around Thanksgiving.

quote:

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - The Process of Procedural Cities
Nov 16, 2018
https://youtu.be/NxBdyyGx7vM

No ship flacking at end.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Thanksgiving Burndown
Nov 23, 2018
https://youtu.be/0wOuzmWlYVs?t=31m58s

Sandi reminds viewers that the Anniversary sale and its 8 different unique videos starts tomorrow.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Exploring Gravlev Technology
Dec 7, 2017
https://youtu.be/-jK4KjD_96Q?t=45m08s

Sandi and Forest hit lots of sale business here.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - The Physics of Atmospheric Flight
Dec 14, 2017
https://youtu.be/2Piy-ibiq1M?t=45m28s

Sandi flacks the hardcover Jump Point with the ludicrous shipping price.

Squadron 42: Around the Verse - Holiday Special 2017
Dec 22, 2017
https://youtu.be/tpVzJiarjvc

The entire video was crafted for the prospective buyer who knew nothing about CIG, and in this way was a “getting to know you” marketing message. Yet in a testament to CIG’s unchanging marketing myopia, they subverted their attempts at conveying normalcy with the non-stop insertions of “Disco Santa the Spaceship Salesman”. Tonal continuity was destroyed as Disco Santa schlepped high dollar spaceships to whichever whales still found the ritual endearing or were prisoners of collector compulsions. It apparently didn’t occur to them that doing so might actually reinforce the worst stereotypes of Star Citizen cultishness and CIG’s whale-centric values for the other audience, the outside audience they needed to convey normalcy to.

Whatever the funding tracker might’ve been saying during all this it remains hard to believe Q4 closed the gap after Q1-Q3 showed clearly diminishing demand. What, exactly, did Q4 deliver worthy of such surprising 11th hour confidence? A 3.0 launch that was unplayable? A Squadron vertical slice with long stretches of absolutely nothing happening whatsoever?

(Also worth reminding people this episode found Brian Chambers claiming that the cinematic team in Foundry Frankfurt was solely a Squadron resource. A very strange answer to a question nobody seemed to be asking and few might care about? Even so, we know that isn’t true as Hannes Appell (Director of Cinematics) was all over the Sandworm demo and surely countless other cinematic pieces in the last couple of year. Was this for Coutts? Some other power that mattered?)

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - New Website Preview
Jan 4, 2018
https://youtu.be/Jq0COEoWrW4?t=7m27s

Despite this video being only 8 minutes long, Sandi plugs the Nova tank.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Austin Studio Update
Jan 11, 2018
https://youtu.be/unCiwKdT76M?t=55m38s

This one seems like its about to end sans panhandling but nope, Sandi plugs the Nova tank.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - The Origin of Spaceships
Jan 18, 2018
https://youtu.be/paZYtrgaouw?t=51m36s

Ships are a central focus of the episode, with Ship Shape along with the latest in-depth look at Chris’ crippling asset fetishism in service of macro-transactional enrichment. And yet when the episode nears its end, Sean and Chris hits ships all the more.

Squadron 42: Around the Verse - Welcome to the Coil
Jan 25, 2018
https://youtu.be/Yi9WdFRq8oA?t=30m44s

Sandi plugs Squadron registration, then she plugs new merchandise - mousepads, t-shirts, a ship pack, and the Supersize Me Promotional Sale on Squadron + Star Citizen.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Frankfurt Studio Update
Feb 1, 2018
https://youtu.be/QhMQH25mEMw?t=39m43s

Sandi just plugs the Squadron sign-up.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Bringing Balance to Force
Feb 8, 2018
https://youtu.be/yDhWccSr08w

No closing reminder about ships.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - The Vulcan Hello
Feb 15, 2018
https://youtu.be/4-xa9j7xvws?t=27m18s

Chris flacks the Terrapin and Vulcan in closing after the entire episode was spent focused on hyping the ship.

Squadron 42: Around the Verse - The Living Idris
Feb 22, 2018
https://youtu.be/CP_GTmqs2Zg?t=29m48s

Sandi flacks Supersized Star Citizen Starter Pack (with Squadron) before the upgrade price increases Monday.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Los Angeles Studio Update
Mar 1, 2018
https://youtu.be/sk1wtt7qvKA?t=14m22s

Sandi flacks the Vulcan. Then Dave flacks the Aegis ship pack.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Performance and Optimization
Mar 8, 2018
https://youtu.be/EU0sMZbhqoU?t=56m10s

Sandi flacks upcoming ships then the Vulcan, then Sean flacks the Aegis Pack.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 10, 2018

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Streetroller posted:

It's superior court, and judging by the motion it looks like they didn't want oral arguments submitted.

Is that about your attention seeking video where you go all tuff and tell Chris to 'come at you bro'?

Cos I like you, and you have helped many people with your getting a refund and explaining to others how they should go about that, but that video was sad.

And all those who wrote there "Why I Like Streetroller" post afterwards where also very dumb.

Was just martyr bait to the shitizen, offered very little, you could not even come up with relivant points for things Chris had done wrong. It was all emotion.

To me that was a recent low point in this thread.

imho.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Is that about your attention seeking video where you go all tuff and tell Chris to 'come at you bro'?

Cos I like you, and you have helped many people with your getting a refund and explaining to others how they should go about that, but that video was sad.

And all those who wrote there "Why I Like Streetroller" post afterwards where also very dumb.

Was just martyr bait to the shitizen, offered very little, you could not even come up with relivant points for things Chris had done wrong. It was all emotion.

imho.

To be honest, you're correct. The video was entirely emotion, which is why it was titled "rant". That isn't to say that those points weren't valid.

Chris is doing significant damage to the crowdfunding platform, and to consumer confidence as a whole, but that being said, I'm not going to outline my arguments until we go to court, and after. It had nothing to do with my ability to convey relevant points related to my specific court proceeding.

It's coming.

Streetroller fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 10, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kosumo posted:

a recent low point in this thread.
don't sign ur posts

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Kosumo posted:

imho.

Why does anyone get testy about that video? He doesn't need to "outline his relevant points" in a youtube video since he's actively taking the whole thing to court. That's where all the important stuff will come up, and that's where it actually matters. The court of public opinion doesn't matter worth poo poo here, and is worth even less in the youtube comments sections.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I've banged on other folks ITT for attention seeking before (hello Branson), but not if they actually do something concrete while doing so, like filing an actual lawsuit. TBH that's more than Derek Smart seems to have ever done, his supposed inside sources notwithstanding, but his attention seeking isn't any kind of 'low' for you I bet, right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

imho.

:lol:

It's very dumb we like the dude who has the balls to go tell CR to go gently caress himself for reals. A low point in a thread with both DS and MOMA. The rant was all emotion! it offered very little and, while ranting, you ould not even come up with relivant points. C- video.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa there buster! Your rant is too emotional. Please rant more professionally.

Otherwise it could be, like dumb and :sad:, and a low point ITT

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

trucutru posted:

Whoa there buster! Your rant is too emotional. Please rant more professionally.

Do it like the pro Derek Smart, write a blog!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

I've banged on other folks ITT for attention seeking before (hello Branson), but not if they actually do something concrete while doings so, like filing an actual lawsuit. TBH that's more than Derek Smart seems to have ever done, his supposed inside sources notwithstanding, but his attention seeking isn't any kind of 'low', right?

I'd say people need to stop trying to live vicariously through Streetroller as he actually achieves something in this, and let him be himself.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

don't sign ur posts

My bad.

:five:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

CrazyLoon posted:

Do it like the pro Derek Smart, write a blog!

Imo the July Blog did more for mankind than the discovery of penicilline.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
It's quite clear to anyone with half a brain that Chris Roberts is a complete scumbag and anyone calling him out on that publicly is in fact cool and not dumb.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Are you guys really telling me that the dozen of "street roller is my hero because" post after he was attached be citizen after martyring himself, was not total cringe.

It was like rational full grown adults became teenages again.

Do I have to go back and qoute some?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kosumo posted:

Are you guys really telling me that the dozen of "street roller is my hero because" post after he was attached be citizen after martyring himself, was not total cringe.

It was like rational full grown adults became teenages again.

Do I have to go back and qoute some?

Oh no! Cringe! That thing everyone does every day in this thread. How terrible.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Kosumo posted:

imho.
Go gently caress yourself, lol.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CrazyLoon posted:

I've banged on other folks ITT for attention seeking before (hello Branson), but not if they actually do something concrete while doing so, like filing an actual lawsuit. TBH that's more than Derek Smart seems to have ever done, his supposed inside sources notwithstanding, but his attention seeking isn't any kind of 'low' for you I bet, right?

Derek is inavertanlly comedy gold.

He is a warlord clownlord.

To call him a low point is wrong, don't you remember the whole stolen valour incident about the goon war veteran?

It would not surprise me to find out he brought ships for bettsy bigtits as well.

I look forward to the day he loses it and (tries) to beat up the guy who cosplays as a Big Benny machine.

The guy unironicly qoutes his own tweets.

That village idiot poo poo and ever village needs one.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Kosumo posted:

Derek is inavertanlly comedy gold.

He is a warlord clownlord.

To call him a low point is wrong, don't you remember the whole stolen valour incident about the goon war veteran?

It would not surprise me to find out he brought ships for bettsy bigtits as well.

I look forward to the day he loses it and (tries) to beat up the guy who cosplays as a Big Benny machine.

The guy unironicly qoutes his own tweets.

That village idiot poo poo and ever village needs one.

-down

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

Go gently caress yourself, lol.

Wow, so much nerve touching just for sharing my opinion.

Sensitive much? (What does your "Street roller is cool because... " Post have in it?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Could you try

not typing

your posts

like this

, thanks.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Kosumo posted:

Wow, so much nerve touching just for sharing my opinion.

Sensitive much? (What does your "Street roller is cool because... " Post have in it?

I didn't make one, so I can freely say you're an annoying oval office.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nice rebuttal belt buckle.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

What are paragraphs?

It's like birds.

What ARE birds?

We just don't know.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Kosumo posted:

imho.

I agree, however like Derek Smart or star citizen it costs you no money is very funny and drives impotent nerds crazy. So what's not to like about it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I didn't make one, so I can freely say you're an annoying oval office.
I didn't make one either, and I fully agree with the sentiment made above.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

Could you try

not typing

your posts

like this

, thanks.

Maybe,

Why, does it bother you.

Sorry.

I'll try to keep that in mind when replying to you.

Did not know that would touch your nerves as well.

Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Kosumo posted:

Maybe,

Why, does it bother you.

Sorry.

I'll try to keep that in mind when replying to you.

Did not know that would touch your nerves as well.

Oops.
Lol, nice beltdown.