Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's loving horrible, and not in a good way it's just bad.

loving horribly awesome, yes, I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna look at a road bike tomorrow, a 2007 Motobecane Immortal Force full carbon fiber bike.

been a decade since i rode but i'm looking forward to getting back in the saddle again, even though i like running more than riding

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 9, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Fuckkk tree branch just came down on my garage. It's pulling the power lines tight and punched a hole in the roof. The garage door track is bent so I can't even get in there.

Luckily as far as I can tell through the windows no damage to the car or bike.

Got inside the garage, this would explain why the door only opens a foot and a half.

And the thing is pointed directly at my one month old Mustang's hood. JFC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dang, that's a tough garage door track.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

When my parents lived in Dallas, I always went to Taco Bueno, and I liked it. Does that make me cool, or a pariah?

Neither, really. Taco Bueno is pretty decent for fast food.

Gonna miss them when I move - there's only one in the entire Austin area, and it's nowhere near where I'll be living. I think most of their Texas locations are in Abilene and DFW.

opengl128 posted:

Got inside the garage, this would explain why the door only opens a foot and a half.

And the thing is pointed directly at my one month old Mustang's hood. JFC.

:stonk:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Whats the name of that small virus/spyware checker which is an .exe you can just put on a thumbdrive and run it on the questionable machine?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Whats the name of that small virus/spyware checker which is an .exe you can just put on a thumbdrive and run it on the questionable machine?

Malwarebytes has one called ADWCleaner that seems to work well. I'm sure that there are others.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Neither, really. Taco Bueno is pretty decent for fast food.

Gonna miss them when I move - there's only one in the entire Austin area, and it's nowhere near where I'll be living. I think most of their Texas locations are in Abilene and DFW.

:stonk:

I miss taco bueno. gently caress the bell when I'm home, gimmie taco bueno every time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There's only one place to get tacos around here and while they are good and real tacos, it's $20 for three.

We had a Taco Bell, it closed years ago. No fast food taco joints is another reason I hate this city.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

Malwarebytes has one called ADWCleaner that seems to work well. I'm sure that there are others.

Thanks - I'll check into it. Did a search but hard to parse out which ones are legit and which ones are just malware infections themselves :haw:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Thanks - I'll check into it. Did a search but hard to parse out which ones are legit and which ones are just malware infections themselves :haw:

I use ninite.com and have the download link on a flash drive to super-anti-spyware and malwarebytes on it, it usually can clear enough stuff for me to start the real work at least (if you can connect to the internet)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Tell me about it. BleepingComputer.com is a decent source for removal instructions and tools.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

Gonna look at a road bike tomorrow, a 2007 Motobecane Immortal Force full carbon fiber bike.

been a decade since i rode but i'm looking forward to getting back in the saddle again, even though i like running more than riding

Join us on Strava! Get Kudos from the rest of us AI cyclists

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Join us on Strava! Get Kudos from the rest of us AI cyclists

He isn't kidding, he will kudo the living gently caress out of everything anyone here does on Strava. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

8yrs together with my better half this year, known her for 14. We've gone through buying land, having to move in with my parents, waiting to get access to the land, having to change bank lenders, building a house, her going back to uni to retrain as a teacher and financial stress of her not having full time contracts and yet we still havent had an argument. There might be a few snappy words here and there but no arguments.

I figure it means we're either 100% compatible with each other, or when we DO have an argument, its going to be so immense the cops will be called! :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife just watched me geek the gently caress out at the DC Comics offices. If she can put up with that she's probably here for the long run.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like that we've had a ridiculously dry fall and winter, and now you're here for one of the few times it's going be cloudy and rainy, good timing!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

I like that we've had a ridiculously dry fall and winter, and now you're here for one of the few times it's going be cloudy and rainy, good timing!

It only rained once so far! I just need to rain to hold off til noon tomorrow.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It hasn’t stopped raining or snowing in two weeks here

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It hasnt rained here for nearly a month, I've got roughly 10,000L of water left in my water tanks and they arent predicting any appreciable rainfall till MAY.

Im gonna have to actually BUY water :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh jeez it's actually starting to warm up in Phoenix.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Haha - I just got a parking fine through for someone else's car which is 1 letter away from the registration plate number of my car from a company who have a really poo poo ANPR system.

There is even photographic proof included showing their car which is also a different make, model and colour to mine.

I was about to fill in the online appeal form with 'look at the picture you idiots, that is not my car' when I noticed that this fine is 1 day off being 6 months old.

UK goons - is there a limit on these things? Should I wait a few days to appeal and try and save the actual owner of the car £60?

Ferremit posted:

It hasnt rained here for nearly a month, I've got roughly 10,000L of water left in my water tanks and they arent predicting any appreciable rainfall till MAY.

Im gonna have to actually BUY water :(

Stop wasting water and that should do you till May! ;)

(I've just checked my bill and over the last 165 days I used an average of 120 Litres per day, which means that I could do 83 days on 10,000L)

What do you get charged for Water in Aus? (its £1.40/1000L in the UK to supply + £1.20/1000L for them to take it away again)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom gave me her waterlogged phone, I was hoping I could coax SOME kind of life out of it. (cat knocked it into the toilet.. thankfully clean)

It turns on and goes to "Installing system update....." for a minute, then "Failed", then to the bootloader options screen.
Sometimes it just shows the battery charging icon when plugged in, and goes to 100% immediately. But it dies the moment it's unplugged.

The googles suggest the power IC is the first thing to fail on these (Samsung Galaxy S6) when they get wet. Apparently people actually solder these tiny rear end chips on to repair phones?! :cripes: Whatever controls the charging is still obviously trying to work; my charger has an LED that changes colors once Qualcomm QC is negotiated, and it changes colors a few seconds after the phone comes to life.

e: huh, factory reset from the bootloader got it to attempt to boot. Showed the startup animation, played the T-Mobile jingle, now it's just stuck on the T-Mobile logo. Was hoping I could make it do SOMETHING.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 10, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I have a kitty supervising me while I pull apart a Subaru

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pet dat kitty. Its a good kitty.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I guess I'll cover the toll

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flX-2IY04ag

45 minutes of burnouts, drifting, donuts, jumps, and general hooning in literally every kind of vehicle. And no talking. Everything from their last year of videos.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Pet dat kitty. Its a good kitty.

A very good catte that got lots of pats

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

One of Mom's dogs had puppies last weekend, we're going to visit in a few weeks. We won't be bringing one home from this litter but maybe in another year or so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Haha - I just got a parking fine through for someone else's car which is 1 letter away from the registration plate number of my car from a company who have a really poo poo ANPR system.

There is even photographic proof included showing their car which is also a different make, model and colour to mine.

I was about to fill in the online appeal form with 'look at the picture you idiots, that is not my car' when I noticed that this fine is 1 day off being 6 months old.

UK goons - is there a limit on these things? Should I wait a few days to appeal and try and save the actual owner of the car £60?
There might well be - I believe it's in the Protection Of Freedoms Act schedule 4.

"Where a contravention is detected remotely (such as by cameras), the landholder may request registered keeper data from the DVLA immediately and must write to the registered keeper within 14 days seeking details of the driver or payment of the parking charge."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...parking-charges

But may be best to play it straight with the "not my car, you chimps".

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

There might well be - I believe it's in the Protection Of Freedoms Act schedule 4.

"Where a contravention is detected remotely (such as by cameras), the landholder may request registered keeper data from the DVLA immediately and must write to the registered keeper within 14 days seeking details of the driver or payment of the parking charge."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...parking-charges

But may be best to play it straight with the "not my car, you chimps".

Oh, I’m definitely going to do the appeal like that.

That 14 day limit in the docs is how long they get to query the DVLA. Not how long they have to chase you, though 6 months is a bit unreasonable!

I actually sold the car in question 5 1/2 months ago too (and I know the keeper change then as I got the tax refund).

You get 14 days to appeal. I might as well drag it out so that when they resend it to the correct owner it is over 6 months and they can pursue that if they feel inclined.
If I can lose the parking twats £60 I’ll be happy :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Stop wasting water and that should do you till May! ;)

(I've just checked my bill and over the last 165 days I used an average of 120 Litres per day, which means that I could do 83 days on 10,000L)

What do you get charged for Water in Aus? (its £1.40/1000L in the UK to supply + £1.20/1000L for them to take it away again)

We pay bout $550 a year for them to take away as much poo poo as I can squeeze down a 100mm DWV pipe, pay about $2.50 per 1000L for reclaimed water from the sewerage plant for the gardens and flushing toilets. The houses potable water is 100% rain water so if I run out I have to buy it in, and at the moment that’s running about $250 for 9000L

It also doesn’t help that our neighbours are doing a massive overhaul of their tank system and sinking underground tanks, so they’re using our water system to supply their house atm (they’re also buying water) so essentially our 45,000L of water storage is having to supply 6 people, 2 kitchens, 4 bathrooms and 2 laundry’s. Not a huge surprise that we’ve blown through 44,000 litre since Christmas

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mom gave me her waterlogged phone, I was hoping I could coax SOME kind of life out of it. (cat knocked it into the toilet.. thankfully clean)

It turns on and goes to "Installing system update....." for a minute, then "Failed", then to the bootloader options screen.
Sometimes it just shows the battery charging icon when plugged in, and goes to 100% immediately. But it dies the moment it's unplugged.

The googles suggest the power IC is the first thing to fail on these (Samsung Galaxy S6) when they get wet. Apparently people actually solder these tiny rear end chips on to repair phones?! :cripes: Whatever controls the charging is still obviously trying to work; my charger has an LED that changes colors once Qualcomm QC is negotiated, and it changes colors a few seconds after the phone comes to life.

e: huh, factory reset from the bootloader got it to attempt to boot. Showed the startup animation, played the T-Mobile jingle, now it's just stuck on the T-Mobile logo. Was hoping I could make it do SOMETHING.

I have had good luck with stripping stuff down as far as reasonably practicable, drying it out with dehumidifier packs while opened up and giving it repeated hosings with contact cleaner spray, but if it was used while wet the odds aren't good.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

A friend of mine told me this week that he won the lottery a few months ago. Not a major jackpot but $250,000. He doesn't even play the lottery, a friend of his gave him the ticket. He is keeping it 100% secret from that friend. In fact, he kept it secret from everyone he knows until the money was gone. He took the entire after tax winnings and invested it in a house. Not the dumbest thing.

But I think he's kind of a dick for not splitting it with the friend who gave it to him. Hell, he didn't share it with anyone. The night he told me we were at dinner, and the check got split between me and his girlfriend. Which is the kind of guy he's always been, so I guess I don't know why I'd expect anything otherwise.

Funny thing, the lottery. My daughter saw the powerball billboards when she learned how to read and do math, and she'd get super excited and beg me to play because millions right? So I bought a ticket, and after the drawings I'd show her the numbers and how not a single one matched, because they never do. It only took about 3 tickets for her to realize it definitely wasn't going to happen.

The stupid part? I got sort of hooked, and I buy a ticket every time I go to the liquor store now. I tell myself it's no dumber than spending the money on whiskey. But it is; The buzz from whiskey lasts a lot longer than the buzz from checking lottery numbers.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
An hour and a half of non-automotive zen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL6Lob8Ep7k

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

But I think he's kind of a dick for not splitting it with the friend who gave it to him.

gently caress that. I don't see why you should be pressured to split it. Yeah, sure, it may show what type of person you are (and your interpretations of that can vary), but there's no reason to be sour. You gave the ticket away - it's not yours anymore, and any winnings are up to the person who won it. That's the risk with gifting lottery tickets. If I'm looking for a dog and a friend gives me theirs because of circumstances or finds one for me at a shelter, then two months in the dog gets cancer, the friend isn't responsible for a portion of the pet bills.

When you're gifting an unknown, all possible outcomes (good or bad) are on the person that accepts the gift. That's what giving is. It's very difficult to read anything else without thinking it has a tinge of bitterness and petty thought.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

There's a difference between splitting it and hoarding every last penny for mine, mine, mine.

The friend that gave it to him would be loving thrilled to have the guy that won toss him $5000 cash and the guy that won doesn't get hurt at all, and ends up looking super generous, and doesn't have people looking at him like he's an rear end.

Edit: And telling you, then making you split the check is an enormous dick move.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 10, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If a friend gave me a lotto ticket and it won any amount of money, I'd tell them and thank them endlessly. If they asked me for a cut of the money I'd tell them to gently caress right off.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I contest that if he won it, he's not an rear end for keeping it, even 100%. Again, difficult to read anything otherwise without thinking that someone is bitter. And that's placing myself in the shoes of the gifter, not the recipient. You give someone a lottery ticket and they win millions, unfortunately it is just kind of, like, "dang." Otherwise it just kind of looks needy or like a weird form of begging. A gift is a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty drat generous, a lotto win wouldn't necessarily be something I'd keep all to myself (there's a few guys at work I'd offer retirement for instance) but I can't stand people who think they're entitled to someone else's winnings.

• Locked thread