Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Simply Simon posted:

Other unmentioned highlights include: Blind as the first boss; Blind with a Hammer, no mail and 7 hearts; copious savestate abuse somewhere different and surely not at that particular point. Blind gave me a Piece of Heart though so totally worth it.

Blind as the first boss isn't uncommon, since his dungeon doesn't require anything beyond the Moon Pearl, Dark World access, and a weapon capable of hurting Blind to clear. It doesn't mean Blind isn't a bastard if you don't have Byrna or a sword, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Legendary :20bux:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

The Legendary :20bux:

May Hyrule never have need of its power again...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Link needed a book to tell him what a twenty was.

Could have been one of those note ID booklets that get released when currency designs are updated.
The Master Twenty was a fresh rupee mint and was supposed to stop forgers for centuries to come.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Look, the Master Twenty was minted centuries ago by wizards. With all the currency changes since then, it makes sense that CROW wouldn't recognize one.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
A legend that will echo through the ages... or mostly when you move the cushions.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was the greatest sum of currency back when it was minted, hence the title of "Master" and the reverence given to it.

Inflation's a bitch though.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Is the Romhackeria truly over until HeavySigh finds all the Megaman Roms?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Thanks FP! I really enjoyed this thread. I always enjoy seeing old games played new ways.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This thread was great. Thanks guys!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yep, great job everyone!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

TCat posted:

Is the Romhackeria truly over until HeavySigh finds all the Megaman Roms?

I did find all of them. At least until Puresabe releases his Megaman 7 hack.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah dam it. Look guys I got here late but let's be honest, this is a great thread.

If you or others can keep up the romance hack goodness, please do.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ah dam it. Look guys I got here late but let's be honest, this is a great thread.

If you or others can keep up the romance hack goodness, please do.

There are no romance hacks; it takes hard work and communication.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

romance hack: finger the butthole (works for both guys and girls)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Heavy Sigh posted:

At least until Puresabe releases his Megaman 7 hack.

Oh my god. Oh my god! Oh my god

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Let's Play Daytona USA (Saturn Port) - Video 1 of 1

This one isn't a romhack by any reasonable stretch, but it's functionally the victory lap for FP and Tyty after shepherding us through VLDC9, Hacks 101, DKC2: Lost Levels, Keysanity, and everyone else's contributed hacks. We recorded this immediately after the final Keysanity session, so this was as much about me giving FP a chance to unwind as it was me showing off a very low effort Sega Saturn racing port for the Casual Thread.

Artix bounced literally the second we were done with Keysanity, so he does not appear in this video. But joining me are FPzero, Tyty, and Mysticblade.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

Autocorrect is funnier than I am lol.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alright FP, I finally got around to finishing up that seed you posted a while back. It was pretty fun! Never had to resort to the spoiler but it was pretty tempting at times during the early game.

I had the menu open and the game running while eating dinner the other day. Whoops!

While we're here, what exactly does the "GT BIG KEY" stat mean? Also it looks like my flute time stat was bugged too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

While we're here, what exactly does the "GT BIG KEY" stat mean? Also it looks like my flute time stat was bugged too.

In non-keysanity runs, or in keysanity runs where the big key for Ganon's Tower is actually in the tower, it's how many of the items in the lower floors you had to check to find the key.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Which seed was that? Was it the first one I posted where Mirror was halfway down Turtle Rock? Or the race seed we used where Hookshot was on Master Sword Pedestal? Either way, both seeds were pretty ridiculous so good job on finishing one of them!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Which seed was that? Was it the first one I posted where Mirror was halfway down Turtle Rock? Or the race seed we used where Hookshot was on Master Sword Pedestal? Either way, both seeds were pretty ridiculous so good job on finishing one of them!

Mirror in Turtle Rock pedestal finish.

Also putting the mirror in Turtle Rock is loving cruel. Jesus Christ.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Mirror in Turtle Rock pedestal finish.

Also putting the mirror in Turtle Rock is loving cruel. Jesus Christ.

In a seed I'm running on my own, I've got the L4 sword, Mirror Shield, Red Mail, and I'm only done with 4 total dungeons (2 light, 2 dark) and I'm still looking for the mirror. I've cleaned out the light world and have exhausted several dark world dungeons looking for it. It and a couple boss keys are the only things standing in my way from go time. Oh, and to add hilarity to all that nonsense, I picked up basically all of those sword, mail, and shield upgrades in my first loops around the light and dark world, before I even found a usable big key.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 13, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ryushikaze posted:

In a seed I'm running on my own, I've got the L4 sword, Mirror Shield, Red Mail, and I'm only done with 4 total dungeons (2 light, 2 dark) and I'm still looking for the mirror. I've cleaned out the light world and have exhausted several dark world dungeons looking for it. It and a couple boss keys are the only things standing in my way from go time. Oh, and to add hilarity to all that nonsense, I picked up basically all of those sword, mail, and shield upgrades in my first loops around the light and dark world, before I even found a usable big key.

Make sure you bring a Green/Blue potion to Mothula!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gold sword is able to harm Mothula in the randomizer hack. That's one of the things they fixed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mothula is immune to the golden sword in vanilla? :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mak0rz posted:

Mothula is immune to the golden sword in vanilla? :psyduck:

quote:

It inexplicably takes no damage from attack classes 4 and 5 (in human terms,
the Level 3 sword spin attack, the Level 4 sword swing/Pegasus charge, and
the Level 4 sword spin attack). It makes no sense that the Level 1-3 sword
swings would be stronger than the Level 4 sword swing, that the Level 3
spinning attack won't hurt it even though other Level 3 sword strikes do,
or that the Level 4 sword swing and spin attack won't hurt it even though
a drawn Level 4 sword does. This was fixed on the GBA ports, where Mothula
now takes 16 damage from attack classes 4 and 5.

Notably: being knocked back into a spike is apparently a class 4 attack, which is why mothula gets invincibility and takes no damage if you hit him into the spikes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What class laser product are the eye beam attacks?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Useless trivia: Since poking does less damage than slashing it's still technically possible to damage vanilla game Mothula with the golden sword

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Make sure you bring a Green/Blue potion to Mothula!

By the time I got to Mothula I had quarter magic (I decided to try an easy mode seed just so I could see what that fun was like) so even though I had one, I didn't need it. Same with dealing with Trinex. I got through that fight missing several shots and wound up at about half magic.

Playing with the Randomizer has given me a fun if complicated Idea for an LP, though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ryushikaze posted:

By the time I got to Mothula I had quarter magic (I decided to try an easy mode seed just so I could see what that fun was like) so even though I had one, I didn't need it. Same with dealing with Trinex. I got through that fight missing several shots and wound up at about half magic.

Playing with the Randomizer has given me a fun if complicated Idea for an LP, though.

Speaking of...didn’t someone not realize that once you stun a Trinexx head you can hit it with a sword?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Regarding the seed with the Mirror in Turtle Rock, I had a problem where the game crashes when getting a specific key in Dark Palace. Did anyone else go to Dark Palace and have that issue, or is it just me?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Epicmissingno posted:

Regarding the seed with the Mirror in Turtle Rock, I had a problem where the game crashes when getting a specific key in Dark Palace. Did anyone else go to Dark Palace and have that issue, or is it just me?

I grabbed every item in Dark Palace without incident. The authors might want to know about a crash like that so you should probably send them a message.

What emulator are you using?

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

Epicmissingno posted:

It's an emulator issue. I was having the same problem and switching to SNES9x fixed it.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Speaking of...didn’t someone not realize that once you stun a Trinexx head you can hit it with a sword?

You can indeed, though only as long as it remains stunned. You need to zots of magic to stun, and can probably hit it for two maybe three swings before it starts to recover.

I finished up my seed, BTW. My final time was 4:56, and 3:30 of that was done without access to the magic mirror.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Amusing coincidence: Just a few days after your LP concluded, the Randomizer received an update which, among other things, added a Retro mode that aims to make the game play more like the original Zelda. And that, of course, means Rupee Bow! :10bux: per arrow, 50 for a silver arrow.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Some of those new features seem pretty rad. Splitting the state/sword options was a cool idea.

Now you can have a game with a standard rainstorm start and a guaranteed non-sword kill item from your uncle. The items come with additional bonuses to help you along until you find a sword of you choose to make them available (e.g. max bomb capacity if he gives you bombs)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ask me about having 18 hearts but no mail (and no bug net either.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This is the first seed I've tried myself, and while I'm still very early on, it looks like it's going to be an interesting and challenging one: http://vt.alttp.run/h/0kGZklzbMm

Gimmick spoiler: I found the fire rod and 1/2 magic before any other offensive items besides bombs.
Item locations: 1. Fire Rod is in Lost Woods. 2. 1/2 Magic is in the sage's room near Eastern Palace.

Question because I'm stuck: Finding the lantern will give me that light cone, and I shouldn't have to go through any dark room until I have it, correct? The only progression items I have are the Moon Pearl and the first glove, I have almost no keys (2 to castle tower, 1 to dark palace), and I can't figure out how to progress without going through a dark room, unless there's a Dark World portal accessible to me that I don't remember.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You should never need to go through a dark room without the lantern. Some spots to check that I could believe you've forgotten: King Zora, Agina's cave (old man in the desert), Desert Palace and the desert ledge, ice rod cave, mini moldorm cave.

• Locked thread