Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'd really enjoy that kind of thing.

I actually thought FFVIII's junction system was a really cool idea with awful execution. Ultimately the way the game was designed, which individual summon you'd junctioned on to a given character didn't matter all that much--it was more about the sorta generic passive skills they could learn, and unlocking the ability to junction spells to your stats. Something where they're treated more like job classes would be really interesting. Maybe combine it with FFX-2’s fast paced ATB and in-battle job switching.

I realize I'm kind of asking for Final Fantasy: Persona Edition but that's fine by me.

I feel like spell junctioning is where the system went wrong. It has all the downsides of the equipment treadmill while also being a non-choice and pointlessly obtuse (things like healing/revival -> HP and tornado -> AGI make sense but it's mostly arbitrary) while also discouraging the use of magic. It would be fine if it was "equipping Titan raises your strength and defense while lowering your magic and gives a Counter passive, a !Suplex ability, and an Earthquake limit break".

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The ability to fully customize characters as you need is the strength of systems like Materia and Junctions, and walking it back to a job system just gets rid of options.

I agree on materia, but customization in FFVIII is limited to 3 active abilities and 4 passives so it's not really any more customizable than Bravely Default's job system, and that's before noting that FFVIII doesn't allow for specialization through equipment. I'd call the job system a halfway point between the granularity of the materia system and fixed class systems and my ideal "stack monster-themed ability sets" as a halfway between materia and a job system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I much prefer wide open customization systems so that I can use the characters I like and not have to feel like I'm missing something important in combat.

Like to use Tales as an example, I'd rather not have to use a character like Cheria, but mechanics make that tricky.

Cheria is badass, her knives have ridiculous stagger and she has time stop jojo powers

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zedprime posted:

FF15 as we know it started development around 2012 with 13vs work being used as preproduction inputs.

Tabata didn't take over and re-work their production until December of 2013. The game for intents and purposes had maybe 2 years at best of actual development on the current FF15.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Tae posted:

Tabata didn't take over and re-work their production until December of 2013. The game for intents and purposes had maybe 2 years at best of actual development on the current FF15.

It was just shy of 3 since it came out Nov 2016 The PS3 iteration of 15 (not 13vs) was canceled at the moment Tabata took over.

And this is my own speculation but I'd be willing to bet that the decision to make the second half of the story was probably made by the end of the first year. Before episode duscae was even mentioned publically .

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Cheria is badass, her knives have ridiculous stagger and she has time stop jojo powers

Graces made a lot of cumbersome weapons actually work pretty well. Bladerangs and shotstaffs would be the most unwieldy weapons ever in reality but in magical Tales land they can pull off sick combos.

Tales may have janky stories but they can pull off slick real time battle systems, something which FF is only really finally finding its feet on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ciaphas posted:

I barely started FFXV for PC late last night, just did the tutorial, got to Hammerhead and saved for the night

I'm not sure how I should be working the camera, lock-on and targeting in battle though, I tried to practice in the tutorial against Gladiolus but I didn't reach any real conclusions on control scheme or play method besides "hold block and hope it kinda works out"

Any advice?

Now I've only been playing for twenty hours so far so I'm no pro at the battle system, but here's what I've been able to understand:

1) "Hold Block" only works if you're NOT pressing attack; otherwise, it'll work as long as you have MP. This is why the default gamepad controls, where it's hard to press attack and block at the same time, make sense in a way.
2) Lock On is used for warp strike. That's about the only time I use it, because you can't do the high ground retreat move while you're locked on to an enemy.
3) Equip magic on Noctis, it works like grenades from modern FPS/third person shooter games. I like d-pad right for this, but that's just me.
4) I kind of prefer to use dodge roll instead of block. You don't really get i-frames, but it gives great mobility and I'm constantly landing flanking blows.
5) Always be using Techs. They gain experience (which translates to attack power and crit chance) as you use them, and you can also use them to warp around the battlefield since they end with a timed hit that teleports Noctis to the target.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 10, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's also good to give magic to iggy. he'll only use it on really strong targets and he's got very high magic skill

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The first skill you should get is Regroup for Iggy. Best skill in the game, fully heals your party and even revives you from Danger state. At the very least, saves you a poo poo load of cash from constantly buying potions.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Prompto's Expose is really good too. Does a ton of damage and I think it ignores armor too.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Type-0 is one of those games that I love because it has the most interesting twists on its lore of magic in a war. Like it is genuinely one of the most depressing FF games in setting and ending. To summon an Eidolon, you have to sacrifice your life force and if you die in Type-0, all memories of you are wiped out which is hosed up. So summoner squads are basically one-time hit squads with no history.

It more or less takes FF9 summoning to a gritty, dark extreme. Best example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVJeTblPTk

Of course, if you have Reraise up, you don't die...

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 10, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really don't understand the decisionmaking behind FFXII gate crystals instead of letting them unlock docking locations for Strahl, which would be much more in-universe.

I guess it's just annoying to write around all the things they put in to already write around having it just take you places.(Oh no! Jagd! Oh no! Damage!)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 10, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My biggest problem with Type-0 was that the bosses seem to expect you to be in a game with good controls but they were actually poo poo.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Artix posted:

Uh, what? 13 was a development mess, but it was a Toriyama gig all the way through. In fact, Toriyama was somehow the only guy in the past decade to actually ship his own game.

Is this within just the Final Fantasy projects or Square Enix as a whole? I guess either way, something's going wrong in management.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I swear to god I will be hearing the FFXII town music repeating in my head until I die.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Greyarc posted:

Is this within just the Final Fantasy projects or Square Enix as a whole? I guess either way, something's going wrong in management.

From what I understand, until recently SE was big into the "Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul" strategy and just kinda caused a disaster to fix another on the reg.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

The GIG posted:

From what I understand, until recently SE was big into the "Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul" strategy and just kinda caused a disaster to fix another on the reg.

More or less this. They tend to take key staffers from projects on a whim when things go south, which then causes the impacted project to go south later on. Stormblood is a bit weaker than previous expansions, mainly because they pulled a bunch of staff from 14 to work on 12 Zodiac Age and KH3.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, wait, I'm most of the way through chapter five in XV, and I'm starting to have severe issues following the plot. So Lucis is awesome, it has a crystal that drains the life out of its king and lets him give people magic. Niflheim is cartoonishly evil, and has Luna, a medium for the gods (who are apparently literal, super-powerful beings that hang around in meteor craters and mountain caves) who can headbutt sickness out of old people. Niflheim demands that Luna and Noctis get married as part of the peace treaty, then use the treaty signing to launch a surprise attack, kill the king, and take the crystal. The remnants of Lucis' military band together to try and fight back against the invaders, and they tell Noctis to go stab himself with the 13 ancestral weapons that all the kings can use, which I think is supposed to give him access to the full range of magic his dad had, so he can grant it to his subjects? Except, I think that won't work because he also needs the crystal and they don't have it anymore? Anyway, he does that for a while, then out of nowhere in chapter 5 they go "Oh btw, weapon quest is on hold, now you need to go around and ask all of the gods to give you their blessing," except, wasn't that Luna's job? And isn't she actively going around doing the exact same thing right now? So what on earth are we supposed to be accomplishing with this?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Luna wakes them up/goes up to them and says "Hey Noctis is cool, pls grant him your blessing" they say "maybe, I'll have to see if he's cool myself."

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, so she is explicitly asking the gods to double up and give him the same power the medium traditionally holds? Do we know why yet, or is it more Luna just going "Huh, this invasion sucks; I'll bet Noctis could use a pocket full of gods to decimate a ton of imperial troops"?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When Noctis was five years old, the Gods said "Hey, this baby right here, he's the one we've been waiting for. He's our Chosen King of Light, take care of him for a while until we're ready to give him power/he's ready to receive our power, so he can do the things we want him to do."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everything Noct is doing is a traditional coming of age as a Lucii king. It's just a little under duress because Insomnia is occupied and the crystal is captured.

Lucii are supermen who's strength draws on both the crystal and every Lucian who has come before. The first obviously comes from having access to the crystal but the latter comes from the Armiger and the Ring. Hence the road trip to pay respects to Lucii past to gain access to their Armiger and learn and train to be able to draw power from the Ring.

The Lucii are basically allied with the gods. In exchange for the crystal, the gods required the Lucii to dedicate themselves to preventing a future apocalypse. Normally a Lucii would just visit with an Oracle to say "we still cool" and the god would say "I guess, let me sleep yo." This time around the gods recognize apocalypse is upon the world and are testing Noctis' capacity to address it so they are much more restless than the usual Lucii road trip.

Most importantly the Lucii are super humans because of their buds. Regis made the same road trip with his buds, including Cid. If you forgot, Cid told you the most important part of the road trip is having fun with your buds. So don't forget about that part of it or you'll never be a really good Lucii.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

zedprime posted:

Everything Noct is doing is a traditional coming of age as a Lucii king. It's just a little under duress because Insomnia is occupied and the crystal is captured.

Lucii are supermen who's strength draws on both the crystal and every Lucian who has come before. The first obviously comes from having access to the crystal but the latter comes from the Armiger and the Ring. Hence the road trip to pay respects to Lucii past to gain access to their Armiger and learn and train to be able to draw power from the Ring.

The Lucii are basically allied with the gods. In exchange for the crystal, the gods required the Lucii to dedicate themselves to preventing a future apocalypse. Normally a Lucii would just visit with an Oracle to say "we still cool" and the god would say "I guess, let me sleep yo." This time around the gods recognize apocalypse is upon the world and are testing Noctis' capacity to address it so they are much more restless than the usual Lucii road trip.

Most importantly the Lucii are super humans because of their buds. Regis made the same road trip with his buds, including Cid. If you forgot, Cid told you the most important part of the road trip is having fun with your buds. So don't forget about that part of it or you'll never be a really good Lucii.

Thanks for that summary, I missed nearly all of that. The road tripping has been absolutely fantastic, but every single time it gets into the background mythology or what's actually happening with the invasion, I tend to lose track.

Speaking of which, I'm somewhat unclear on what was happening with Regis's health- was his rapidly sickening and becoming infirm a natural consequence of being the king and using the armiger and ring, or was he intentionally trading life for extra magic to keep that shield up for years?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The shield (also known as the New Wall) is what's been sapping Regis' strength since he's been using the Ring to maintain it. Kingsglaive establishes that Insomnia has an emergency defense system (the Old Wall), but at that point Regis was too weak to summon it.

Essentially, the Empire just won the battle of attrition since Regis was the key power source and he had to focus on defense.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Do any of the supplementary materials confirm whether King Regis is the same person as Lord Regis, mayor of the generic city in Sonic 2006?

I need to know this so I can know whether my mod to replace Noctis's bros with Sonic friends can be considered canon.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Do any of the supplementary materials confirm whether King Regis is the same person as Lord Regis, mayor of the generic city in Sonic 2006?

I need to know this so I can know whether my mod to replace Noctis's bros with Sonic friends can be considered canon.

Would that make Elise the Oracle?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Soleanna was a democratic monarchy and Lord Regis was the mayor, cuz the King was also the chief scientist who trapped Old Man Shadow without a Mouth in a scepter.

Get yo Sonic Facts right

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I know nothing about Final Fantasy games except the name and that they're RPGs, and saw that XV came out on PC.

Is it any good, and do I need to know anything about previous FF games to make sense of it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

sean10mm posted:

I know nothing about Final Fantasy games except the name and that they're RPGs, and saw that XV came out on PC.

Is it any good, and do I need to know anything about previous FF games to make sense of it?

It's A Final Fantasy For Fans And First-Timers, you do the math.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Final Fantasy games are all separate entities (unless you get into dumb side material bullshit but that's easily ignorable) and unrelated with each other, so no reason not to jump into FF15 if it looks cool to you since reception for the game is generally positive.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

Try checking the Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 Ultimania

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, so she is explicitly asking the gods to double up and give him the same power the medium traditionally holds? Do we know why yet, or is it more Luna just going "Huh, this invasion sucks; I'll bet Noctis could use a pocket full of gods to decimate a ton of imperial troops"?

She's the Oracle so she knows everything that will happen

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Alxprit posted:

It's A Final Fantasy For Fans And First-Timers, you do the math.

:five:

It's a good one to jump in on especially on PC, heads up may still be +20% off at greenmangaming. Watch the first 15 minutes of Kingsglaive on youtube or rent and watch the whole thing if you really wanna be caught up on what's happening, they kind of left the opening act of the game in that movie and didn't cover it alll that great. You can totes skip it though too and be fine.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

teh_Broseph posted:

:five:

It's a good one to jump in on especially on PC, heads up may still be +20% off at greenmangaming. Watch the first 15 minutes of Kingsglaive on youtube or rent and watch the whole thing if you really wanna be caught up on what's happening, they kind of left the opening act of the game in that movie and didn't cover it alll that great. You can totes skip it though too and be fine.

I for one am super-glad that I watched it first; the way they covered what happens in Kingsglaive in-game is absurdly opaque, to the point that I'm pretty sure I would've gotten confused within the first few hours.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MikeJF posted:

I swear to god I will be hearing the FFXII town music repeating in my head until I die.

Oh God it's back. Screw you, I was out!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

You don't need to have played any of the other FF games to enjoy 15 but you will get WAY more out of it if you have. Almost everything in the game references an older FF game in some way.

And yes it's good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for that summary, I missed nearly all of that. The road tripping has been absolutely fantastic, but every single time it gets into the background mythology or what's actually happening with the invasion, I tend to lose track.

It's easy to miss. A whole bunch happens off-screen or in supplementary materials. And with some things they patched in later it's not clear you're in a suppliment until you get a loredump of backstory that may or may not be relevant.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Kingsglaive also has fantastic fight scenes to watch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bruceski posted:

Oh God it's back. Screw you, I was out!
here you can listen to this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Went back to XV after months of not playing. Shame that with all the new game modes and quests and qol improvements the basic combat still sucks balls because everything is obscured by bushes and your characters are all nondescript black blobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Went back to XV after months of not playing. Shame that with all the new game modes and quests and qol improvements the basic combat still sucks balls because everything is obscured by bushes and your characters are all nondescript black blobs

Are you saying that all black blobs look the same?