Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I keep looking around my room all the loving time while playing BloodBorne with earplugs, there are so many subtle incidental sound effects :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Dark Souls more than Bloodborne because I prefer fantasy to horror, but god drat BB is a great game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Bloodborne combines werewolves, vampires, and HP Lovecraft better than any other form of media ever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Bloodborne combines werewolves, vampires, and HP Lovecraft better than any other form of media ever.

Who are the vampires?

... everyone??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Who are the vampires?

... everyone??

Cainhurst is vampires

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CJacobs posted:

Cainhurst is vampires

I guess that makes sense

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A little thing I like about Bloodborne is that it uses ambient music to ratchet up the tension in scary areas. Souls games are well known for their lack of music when you're outside of the hub- the only time you'll find music in most Souls games is either in your safe haven, or during a boss fight, but Bloodborne applies very faint background music a couple of times throughout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmH-unczPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHzagjqOLU

Both of which really help enhance the atmosphere of the dark, spooky places where the music plays.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bloodborne is almost my favorite soulsborne game, but I always come back to demon souls being straight forward enough to have distinct levels. It's the only modern game in the series where I managed to not miss a significant chunk of optional content. Also somehow no weapon ever feels as satisfying as swinging the giant club around like a baseball bat even if it isn't an optimal strategy.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CJacobs posted:

Cainhurst is vampires

It's Castlevania, after all :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I far prefer the OST of Demons's Souls to other Souls games, so I dunno, I guess I'm still most stuck on that game. Boletaria 4 lyfe.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, that's what impresses me the the most, how well it bridges the gap from gothic to cosmic horror.
Like, just the perfect slow descent. :cthulhu:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wyoming posted:

Yeah, that's what impresses me the the most, how well it bridges the gap from gothic to cosmic horror.
Like, just the perfect slow descent. :cthulhu:

"Madman's Insight? Huh. Talks about Eldritch Truth."
"Huh, this guy is talking about Great Ones."
"Was that a loving mind flayer?"
And then the whole post-Rom.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dark Souls does as well, but Bloodborne is one of the best games I've ever heard for sound design. The gold standard for me remains Alien: Isolation, although I'm not a huge fan of the game overall.

I was playing Isolation at night one time. My at the time 2 year old son woke up in the middle of the night and wandered into the living room, as I am desperately hiding in a broom closet or whatever from the alien. My kid sees me sitting on the couch and shouts DAAAADAAAAAAAA and the game picked up that noise via a microphone plugged in to the console and the alien raped my face to death. Had to put it away after that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Biplane posted:

the game picked up that noise via a microphone plugged in to the console

What the gently caress is this bullshit? The game picks up audio from the room you're playing it in and the monster reacts accordingly?

That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever read and I've been on the Something Awful forums for nearly nine years.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well first off you can turn it off in the options if it really bothers you, and second actually it loving rules

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Memento posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit? The game picks up audio from the room you're playing it in and the monster reacts accordingly?

That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever read and I've been on the Something Awful forums for nearly nine years.

Its cool and good actually, and totally fits the game, especially if it comes as a surprise!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the game lets you know it has that functionality when you start a new save and lets you disable it before you begin, so it's not like it's meant to be a mean trick or whatever.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Also the game lets you know it has that functionality when you start a new save and lets you disable it before you begin, so it's not like it's meant to be a mean trick or whatever.

The whole thing ties in so well with the overall games theme, which is sound and silence. Like the mad arab said upthread the sound design in Isolation is incredibly good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Memento posted:

Nine years and somehow never read a single one of your own posts?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The other thread reminded me of something I liked from Zelda: Link's Awakening

To open the final dungeon you have to collect eight musical instruments, go to the giant egg and play Ballad of the Wind Fish.

The cool little thing is that if you don't have all eight instruments, you'll play it with the ones you have, so if you go there periodically as you progress through the game you'll get increasingly complete versions of the song.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I far prefer the OST of Demons's Souls to other Souls games, so I dunno, I guess I'm still most stuck on that game. Boletaria 4 lyfe.
There's a couple Imp Zone posters who love Demon's the best too. It's not my favorite but it is a very unique game, so I get it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Bloodborne's sound track gave me the heebie jeebies through my headphones.

Another game good for that was the original Silent Hill. Despite being a PSX game, if you had good headphones, there were some very quiet and creepy sounds. I remember the sewer section had soft monster noises, even if there were very few monsters.

While I'm talking about Silent Hill, I love the fog in that game. It was originally put there just to cut down on what the system has to load, but it ends up being creeptacular and really working in its favor. Especially when you could hear a creature within the fog, but had no idea how far it was from you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I started playing Metro: Last Light and noticed an ad for the board game. One of the bulletpoints were: "A post-apocalyptic board game...Wow? Wow!"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Memento posted:

It’s not even new to A:I, Manhunt did the same thing all the way back in 2003.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Another game good for that was the original Silent Hill. Despite being a PSX game, if you had good headphones, there were some very quiet and creepy sounds. I remember the sewer section had soft monster noises, even if there were very few monsters.

While I'm talking about Silent Hill, I love the fog in that game. It was originally put there just to cut down on what the system has to load, but it ends up being creeptacular and really working in its favor. Especially when you could hear a creature within the fog, but had no idea how far it was from you.

Me and a friend played through SH2 on a portable Tv at his cabin deep in the woods like 15 years back and to this day I cant bring myself to relive the terror.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
When I'm filthy rich I'm gonna own a cabin in the woods exclusively to play horror games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Recent NBA 2K games will give you a technical if you curse IRL

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Leavemywife posted:

I think you’re underselling how good SH’s sound direction was. There were a few moments midway through the game where I genuinely had to put the controller down and rally myself before being able to continue because the music was so oppressive. It was like the auditory equivalent of knowing someone was about to beat you to death with a sledgehammer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

haveblue posted:

Recent NBA 2K games will give you a technical if you curse IRL

And it's hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5okb9Vc8SY

"gently caress YOU, KINETIC!"

*Invalid Command*

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah and the best part is that was clearly a throwaway line they expanded into a whole character arc for Lazlow.

The PS2 era GTA games had awesome radio stations. I don't know why the GTA IV and V era games couldn't capture the magic but I think the skits were way better. I wonder if it's because the writers and voice actors for the DJs and hosts from that era had a ton of pre-internet radio to draw inspiration from - it was right before everything got super consolidated and anybody worth a drat had moved to Sirius or XM.

One of the skits on Chatterbox always cracks me up with it's "Free Kevin!" reference.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Mar 11, 2018

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tumble posted:

The PS2 era GTA games had awesome radio stations. I don't know why the GTA IV and V era games couldn't capture the magic but I think the skits were way better.

My theory is there were less radio stations so they really had to vet what they put on the radio.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TontoCorazon posted:

My theory is there were less radio stations so they really had to vet what they put on the radio.

GTA5 having 20 stations was so stupid.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I only listened to two, yet in Vice I listened to each one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're on.......

The Dust.

edit: I'm with the rest on GTA 5's song selection being kinda lackluster. There are a handful that I really enjoy but the rest are ehhhhh. It's the first GTA game where I actually like the original soundtrack better than the licensed one (go tangerine dream go! :lsd:)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Played a good amount of the Sea of Thieves beta, and have a couple things I loved

There's two different musical instruments you can play, and if someone is already playing one of them, you can join in on the other and it syncs up.

Getting drunk rules; you start staggering around, instrument playing gets hosed up, and you can even start vomiting if you over indulge. You can also catch vomit in your water bucket and throw it at your enemies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bastion doesn't have a hard difficulty mode it does something much smarter. You can create a building called the shrine which has space for ten idols which you pick up over the course of the game. When you invoke an idol it adds an element of difficulty like enemies hit harder or take less damage. There are idols with more unusual effects like one that causes defeated enemies to drop small bombs that do quite a bit of damage if you stay too close after killing them. You can invoke as many or as few idols as you like and any combination you like to tweak the difficulty to your tastes. Each idol also has a bonus of 5-10% on exp and money drops which stack so you get better exp and upgrade currency for having them active.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Currently at the penultimate main level in Bayonetta, the Tower to Truth. Something I like is that Luka isn't useless, in cutscenes he is scene doing impressive feats of acrobatics using his grapple, and I like that. He's comic relief but he isn't laughable. Also I like that items are really useful, using the big lollipops for defense and strength really helped during the Jeane fights (although them pronouncing it J'onn is throwing me off) because Jeane has so much more health than you and it's harder to dodge her to get into witch time due to her having long combos. Fighting her on the missiles was fun though, and the bookend fight (the first fight with her in the flashback you are both in constant Witchstep so can walk on walls with impunity, the moon comes out during the final phase of her last fight giving you a similar gimmick) was cool.

I also really liked the design in the Paradiso levels being all weird gravity and poo poo. That was fun even if the fights there were a bit annoying.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

jivjov posted:

Played a good amount of the Sea of Thieves beta, and have a couple things I loved

There's two different musical instruments you can play, and if someone is already playing one of them, you can join in on the other and it syncs up.

Getting drunk rules; you start staggering around, instrument playing gets hosed up, and you can even start vomiting if you over indulge. You can also catch vomit in your water bucket and throw it at your enemies.

Game is pretty awesome.

I was being chased and harassed by a larger ship with a crew of three, so in the dead of night and in the middle of a bad rear end storm I shut off all my lanterns and slipped away. Felt so cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BioEnchanted posted:

Currently at the penultimate main level in Bayonetta, the Tower to Truth. Something I like is that Luka isn't useless, in cutscenes he is scene doing impressive feats of acrobatics using his grapple, and I like that. He's comic relief but he isn't laughable. Also I like that items are really useful, using the big lollipops for defense and strength really helped during the Jeane fights (although them pronouncing it J'onn is throwing me off) because Jeane has so much more health than you and it's harder to dodge her to get into witch time due to her having long combos. Fighting her on the missiles was fun though, and the bookend fight (the first fight with her in the flashback you are both in constant Witchstep so can walk on walls with impunity, the moon comes out during the final phase of her last fight giving you a similar gimmick) was cool.

I also really liked the design in the Paradiso levels being all weird gravity and poo poo. That was fun even if the fights there were a bit annoying.

Her names pronounced in french.
Think Jean Claude

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Dewgy posted:

It’s not even new to A:I, Manhunt did the same thing all the way back in 2003.

Wow. The exact halfway point between notable NES releases The legend of Zelda and Metroid, and today, is Manhunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I know about Zelda, but how did Metroid use the microphone?