Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve never been in an airplane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
supergenius elon "elon musk" musk invents the "subway"

what new wonders will this innovative marvel come up with next?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FCKGW posted:

you ever been on a bus? it’s like that, only less poo poo outside to look at.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

have you seen the movie {i]airplane![/i] ?

its p much the same thing

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i hate embraers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't be anti-brazilian

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

see shes pushin my dash button
dash on over to push on her gash button

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

President Beep posted:

you ever been on a bus? it’s like that, only less poo poo outside to look at.

but more poo poo on the inside

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/satellites/fcc-accuses-stealthy-startup-of-launching-rogue-satellites

The only problem is, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) had dismissed Swarm’s application for its experimental satellites a month earlier, on safety grounds. The FCC is responsible for regulating commercial satellites, including minimizing the chance of accidents in space. It feared that the four SpaceBees now orbiting the Earth would pose an unacceptable collision risk for other spacecraft.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you do NOT gently caress with the FCC. that company is hosed ITAR style

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
holy poo poo talk about bad decisions

also lol space based internet of things

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
launch fast
break multi-hundred-million dollar things

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jimmy Carter posted:

launch fast
break multi-hundred-million dollar things

another paradigm pioneered by SpaceX

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

they still make new 747s I think. aren't there a bunch in the shipping industry?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/satellites/fcc-accuses-stealthy-startup-of-launching-rogue-satellites

The only problem is, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) had dismissed Swarm’s application for its experimental satellites a month earlier, on safety grounds. The FCC is responsible for regulating commercial satellites, including minimizing the chance of accidents in space. It feared that the four SpaceBees now orbiting the Earth would pose an unacceptable collision risk for other spacecraft.

remember the other year when the FCC told some company they couldn't use the satalite they paid to build and put in orbit because it interfered with lovely GPS receivers? lmao this is somehow worse

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

lancemantis posted:

someone still operates a 747?

lufthansa, korean air and air china have 747-8s. you can probably fly on a 747 for a few more decades if you really want to

uncurable mlady posted:

i hate embraers

come to brazil

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i imagine that since airplanes are so much aluminum really as long as you keep up on the fatigue inspections and replace components as needed, they'll go forever

so, not exactly cheap, but what in aviation is

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
im the still flying b-52 built 68 years ago

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

i imagine that since airplanes are so much aluminum really as long as you keep up on the fatigue inspections and replace components as needed, they'll go forever

new airliners are being built with a lot of composite materials

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

there are still 737-200 in operation

they stopped making them in 1988

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love the 737-200s (and -100s) because they're from before they invented high-bypass turbofans and started lengthening the fuselages to the moon so their engines are like little cigar tubes and the planes are all fat and sassy

so cute

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the 200 also came with an optional rough strip kit and there’s not a lot of airliners that can land on a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, p much. as long as you keep maintaining the plane you can keep on flying them until the skin starts to pop from pressurization cycles.

also aviation maintenance is Serious Business with mandatory schedules for various jobs (e.g. you must tear down and rebuild your engine at 2000 hours, don't care how well it's running) and it must only be done by FAA-certified mechanics (even on your own little plane) so that probably makes the planes last a lot longer too. the flight school down the road has planes going back to like 1956, still in regular use

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 10, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve got it! uber, only for plane mechanics!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

someone still operates a 747?

gotta transport your mom's dildo somehow

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

but enough about the falcon heavy...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

they can’t launch your mom’s dildo into space cause if it deorbited it’d kill all the dinosaurs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

i love the 737-200s (and -100s) because they're from before they invented high-bypass turbofans and started lengthening the fuselages to the moon so their engines are like little cigar tubes and the planes are all fat and sassy

so cute

fat & sassy is good praxis

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but tbh,

Sagebrush posted:

as long as you keep maintaining the ____ you can keep on ____ them

thing of theseus

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Munkeymon posted:

they still make new 747s I think. aren't there a bunch in the shipping industry?

Yeah, the 747-8 is almost exclusively made in cargo version now. They keep threatening to close the line and then UPS/FedEx will order like 10 of them and push EOL out by a year or two.

4-engine planes for passenger flight are pretty much dead, since 2-engines are significantly more efficient per-seat-mile. Pre-ETOPS, the 747 was purchased for the range and the high passenger count was a side benefit.
Emirates is singlehandedly keeping the A380 line open because their model is ‘be the airline to fly between any city in the eastern hemisphere’ and their goal is to move as many bodies as possible in one flight, and as such they own over 50% of all the airframes in existence. Once they stop buying them, it’s done. Everyone else is buying twinjets since they’re cheaper to buy and fly, and unlike the A380 you can actually land them most places.

Cargo’s priority is to move as much stuff in one flight. The A380 freighter never happened, and the 747 freighter has the bonus of a nose that flips up so you can shove really long cargo in. Since they put fewer hours/flight cycles on each airframe and fuel cost is less of an issue, you really only see them replaced when maintenance costs become an issue (see: FedEx still rocking 30-year old MD-11s). There’s a big market for taking old passenger 747’s, yanking the windows out and cutting a door in the side to turn them into cargo airplanes. Even if they stopped production today, you’ll be seeing them regularly for at least another 40 years.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Captain Foo posted:

Paul Allen is strapping 2 747s together to try to accomplish this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jimmy Carter posted:

Paul Allen is strapping 2 747s together to try to accomplish this

I’m amazed that thing doesn’t just snap in two. that wing spar must be one hell of an engineering feat in order to serve as the only connection point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you can tell there's a thick layer of painter's tape

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

the 200 also came with an optional rough strip kit and there’s not a lot of airliners that can land on a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere

If you're just joining us in the thread, he's talking about this:

http://www.b737.org.uk/unpavedstripkit.htm

Are there any numbers on how many were sold?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i hate landings in airliners with a passion. I can’t imagine touching down on a gravel strip. :cry:

oddly enough, when my father-in-law took me up for a spin in a little piper cherokee, i didn’t mind the landing one bit. i think it’s because I could actually see where we were going.

also, the simulated stall he did was hella fun.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I basically have to fly first class to be comfortable. After my next surgery I don't even know if my rear end will physically fit into a coach seat.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

how is swarm any different than iridium or any other satellite communications

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

was in the process of fishmeching for an answer and welp this is loving stupid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_(atmospheric_phenomenon)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

I’m amazed that thing doesn’t just snap in two. that wing spar must be one hell of an engineering feat in order to serve as the only connection point.

the center wing will provide lift of its own, counteracting the bending moment from the outer wings, so it probably doesn't have to be quite as strong as you'd think.

but yeah i wouldn't want to be the guy trying to land that in a crosswind. roll rate measured in minutes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cis autodrag posted:

I basically have to fly first class to be comfortable. After my next surgery I don't even know if my rear end will physically fit into a coach seat.

is it worth it? i mean i know flying is the worst as a baseline, but is paying for first class worth it re leg space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

the center wing will provide lift of its own, counteracting the bending moment from the outer wings, so it probably doesn't have to be quite as strong as you'd think.

but yeah i wouldn't want to be the guy trying to land that in a crosswind. roll rate measured in minutes

yeah it’s not so much the weight bearing demands that amaze me but how it has to keep poo poo together when the two fuselages are experiencing differential forces.