Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/status/971016889043509248

FYI, depending on your spoiler stance... and if you're staying clear of ToCSIII stuff you definitely don't want to see that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I appreciate you not posting it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just beat the game and lol everything involving Rean for the end.

It’s just so dumb.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That's discouraging to hear. But not especially surprising given that the writing of CS 2 so far has been sub-par compared to previous games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's discouraging to hear. But not especially surprising given that the writing of CS 2 so far has been sub-par compared to previous games.

The game desperately needed a focus.

Either focus on the knight poo poo or the CW.

Doing both makes them look half assed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just beat the game and lol everything involving Rean for the end.

It’s just so dumb.

Did you beat the game? There's still 20% more game to go after the Infernal Castle and the credits roll. If you've beaten the epilogue then fair enough.

Just asking because people somehow have overlooked that there's more to the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Everything involving Rean at the end is like my favorite thing in CS2.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, I kinda liked what they did with Rean at the end...it made him a much more interesting character than he was before.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

honestly my biggest crit of CS2 is that the divine knight battles are just tedious. every time rean summoned valimar i sighed because it meant another ten-fifteen minute battle of just hammering the opponent

(also i hated the post-infernal castle dungeon but tbf that might be because i havent had the opportunity to play the crossbell games)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Did you beat the game? There's still 20% more game to go after the Infernal Castle and the credits roll. If you've beaten the epilogue then fair enough.

Just asking because people somehow have overlooked that there's more to the game.

I did yeah

Despite the game being stretched out a bit the ending feels horribly rushed considering how many things happen without really anyone talking about it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Stexils posted:

honestly my biggest crit of CS2 is that the divine knight battles are just tedious. every time rean summoned valimar i sighed because it meant another ten-fifteen minute battle of just hammering the opponent

(also i hated the post-infernal castle dungeon but tbf that might be because i havent had the opportunity to play the crossbell games)

Divine knights feel so tacked on really.

Especially the first half which was just find a contrived way to shove a gundam in there

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gundams are cool, the stuff with rean at the end is the most interesting character stuff we've gotten in a long time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Gundams are cool, the stuff with rean at the end is the most interesting character stuff we've gotten in a long time.

It could’ve interesting but I am burned out on CS promising to pay of something interesting in the next game especially with such a poor track record.

Also it’s really dumb

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Did you do/watch the Black Records sidequest? 'Cause it's Important.

If not, watch these two videos.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Terper posted:

Did you do/watch the Black Records sidequest? 'Cause it's Important.

If not, watch these two videos.

I actually haven’t so I will give them a shot and see what that does for me

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Stexils posted:

As someone who hasn't played Crossbell yet either, I thought that was the best dungeon in the game, at least in terms of level and combat design. Great music too.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
So, I’m on a NG+, and my game keeps crashing immediately after fighting Rufus in Ymir. I’ve turned turbo mode off, and I’m at 30 FPS. It’s done this three or four times now. Any recommendations?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

As someone who hasn't played Crossbell yet either, I thought that was the best dungeon in the game, at least in terms of level and combat design. Great music too.

The music is literally the soundtrack from Zero.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So, I’m on a NG+, and my game keeps crashing immediately after fighting Rufus in Ymir. I’ve turned turbo mode off, and I’m at 30 FPS. It’s done this three or four times now. Any recommendations?

Other things to try is to set your FOV to 55 and take off all your costumes and whatnot.

Also, look here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/748490/discussions/1/1696040635913740588/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Erpy posted:

The music is literally the soundtrack from Zero.
From the tiny bits I've gleaned, Zero and Azure seem to have the best soundtracks.

Get Over the Barrier is a fantastic battle theme.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Other things to try is to set your FOV to 55 and take off all your costumes and whatnot.

Also, look here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/748490/discussions/1/1696040635913740588/

Tried the Alt-Tab trick, but I guess my timing's atrocious. Thanks for letting me know it's an actual issue though.

e: Wow, looks like the 1.2 patch is causing a lot of problems.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 10, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, that game seems far less stable now. I just had a bunch of snags in battle: Elliot's Detector hanging, Burst hanging, etc.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, that game seems far less stable now. I just had a bunch of snags in battle: Elliot's Detector hanging, Burst hanging, etc.

Well, since it seems to be a Thing, I guess I should take a break and wait for a fix. Was CS1 PC giving people trouble after launch? I only got it at the start of this year, so I assume a lot of the bugs and problems had mostly been smoothed out by then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I do not remember CS PC being unstable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The base of Cold Steel 2 is generally more of a poo poo show back on consoles, not surprised that it's unstable even with Durante's fixing. Like, the park area at the beginning was dipping into 10 frames because of all the ghost afterimages.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

I do not remember CS PC being unstable.

CS1 PC was crash happy if you had a weird codec issue but otherwise was stable from what I remember at launch.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Someone... please tell me... she is a party member in Cold Steel 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Snooze Cruise posted:

No, but a certain white haired general is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tae posted:

No, but a certain white haired general is

This only slightly heals the pain :(

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Crossbell sewer dungeon is loving awful like all sewer levels are, especially coming right off the back of the awesome castle.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Being briefly forced to go back to the basics after having a large party outfitted with Domination-powered death lasers from orbit and Hades-powered arts that throws enemies into the friggin sun murdering their way through the previous dungeon was kind of nice though.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Figured I'd mention in case people have forgotten - the previous patched versions of CS2 are available as beta branches on Steam that you can opt into. So if the latest patch has broken anything for anybody, you can revert to an older (hopefully functioning!) version for the moment.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

smenj posted:

Figured I'd mention in case people have forgotten - the previous patched versions of CS2 are available as beta branches on Steam that you can opt into. So if the latest patch has broken anything for anybody, you can revert to an older (hopefully functioning!) version for the moment.

How do you do that?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

How do you do that?

Right-click on the game in your Steam library list (not the desktop shortcut!), click 'Properties' and go to the 'Betas' tab. Then just change the dropdown from 'NONE' to whichever patch last worked for you. Then it should redownload and apply the old patch. Make sure to set it back to NONE after a patch which fixes your issues comes out, otherwise you'll stay stuck on the old one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Okay I saw the black records thing but that doesn’t seem to have much to do with any of the end events.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

No, but there's a good chance she might become one in 4.

She's also in Ao albeit non-playable there.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Okay I saw the black records thing but that doesn’t seem to have much to do with any of the end events.

The Black Records sidequest is more huge foreshadowing for Cold Steel 3 than anything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm finally at what one character in-game declared to be definitely the final dungeon of CS 2.

- I experimented with giving the Ice Crown accessory to Alisa to make her a super-CP battery, but other than one or two amusing instances where she was able to drop two 200-CP S-Crafts in the same battle, it simply wasn't efficient enough to just have her use Blessed Arrow. My first instinct was right, it definitely belongs on someone like Fie or Rean, who need to spend CP as if it's a bunch of coupons expiring today, and get a lot more turns.
- The boss fight against Altina in the Villa round room was decent. I did restart the entire cutscene and entire dungeon when I realized I didn't bring the right party member there. The enemies hit hard, but luck and timing was on my side. An Auto-Thelas from Alisa on Rean followed by her finishing casting Seraphic Ring fixed up everyone who was in the red. The boss used their S-Craft onto a party which was 3/4 protected by Craft Guard (just lucky timing on my part).

- I had been expecting the Anguis to have used her mind-whammy onto Cedric to hypnotize him into being helpful to them. That doesn't look like the case
- Welp, looks like all those missiles which are missing the Courageous probably just destroyed a good 3/8ths of Heimdallr.
- Dear Towa: I really, really don't think you can just casually slow down and land your giant flying target in the plaza without that battleship blowing it into pretty red shrapnel. Both ships were flying over Heimdallr. You can't possibly be THAT much out of range - much less have the time to sit around gawking at the second years inexplicably being able to fight that many Magic Knights.
- After the display they put on in the fights earlier, I still have difficulty believing that the second years could tank Magic Knights that well. Even if the knights had the same level as they were in the shrines.

- Alisa definitely seems to have a problem with low DEF. But even the armor at the shop in the last dungeon would only give her an extra 50 over the fancy +ATS Crystal Dress bought in Bareahard. EDIT: No, her DEF is apparently relatively high compared to other party members.
- I guess I'll be facing a bunch of bosses. Does it matter what party members I have at any specific time? (Read: Tell me who I should bring in what order)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 12, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

- I guess I'll be facing a bunch of bosses. Does it matter what party members I have at any specific time? (Read: Tell me who I should bring in what order)

There's really only one boss that connects to any party member, and you need that character to be in your party for that fight. If you want the actual list:

1. Bleublanc and Duvalie
2. Leo/Xeno (requires Fie, duh)
3. McBurn

Also, Ice Crown on a Tauros Laura is still the best since it means she spams crafts and S-crafts all day every day.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

On top of the obvious matchups
Emma has lore stuff to say for the whole dungeon, and Sara gets some nice dialogue during the last two fights that were just listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- I experimented with giving the Ice Crown accessory to Alisa to make her a super-CP battery, but other than one or two amusing instances where she was able to drop two 200-CP S-Crafts in the same battle, it simply wasn't efficient enough to just have her use Blessed Arrow. My first instinct was right, it definitely belongs on someone like Fie or Rean, who need to spend CP as if it's a bunch of coupons expiring today, and get a lot more turns.

Yeah, the True Gladiator Belt is almost as good to cover her needs for her crafts. The Ice Crown is generally best on Rean because Spirit Unification is extremely costly while Fie can usually get by with being Heavenly Gifted. (and a Termination Slash Dawn while under the influence of Spirit Unification possibly tops Millium's Galactic Cannon as the strongest poo poo you can brutalize a boss with) The Ice Crown's 50% critical boost is also wasted on Alisa...you want that bad boy on someone who hits hard, possibly combined with Murakumo.

First of all, it's extremely obvious when there's a boss fight coming up, so just take whoever's threatening to fall behind to explore the stratums themselves. You can warp back to the first floor before facing the bosses. Just like during the academy liberation, the battle at the very top requires use of the back-benchers, so try not to let your B-team fall too far behind.

First stratum: bringing Laura along gives you the third entry of her section in the character notebook. Otherwise, whoever you want.
Second stratum: you need Fie in order to even enter the boss room. Other than that, bring Sara along for one of the game's best delivered lines and some exposition afterwards.
Third stratum: bring Emma for a not-insignificant lore-bit. Sara and Fie have a brief amusing exchange after the battle, but that one's far from required.

Also, whenever you reach a new stratum, warp back a floor and re-enter the boss room for a nice reward.