Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

FR: Give Demigods +8 Invocations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cheetah7071 posted:

I also personally found demigods more appealing when their stats were chei lite rather than a single one being sky high. They absolutely need an aptitude boost though. Same with mummies.
It's only a single one being sky high if you choose to level their stats that way...

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

It's only a single one being sky high if you choose to level their stats that way...

Yeah, but they lost 4 stat points in order to let/make you do that. Give them sid/2 back instead of their extra choice/3 and I might agree. Or they could even have sid/1 and no choice levels at all!

I really do wish they had +0 across the board, and -1 xp instead of -2. Quicker ability to adapt to their tools would be good. Slow growth at everything is unfun, and makes me always feel like I need to be super optimal and never put a foot wrong when skilling - whether that's true or not, it's how I feel when playing such races.

These Dg religion gimmicks make me sad though, the species is fundamentally fine and elegant as is. Trog, Mu*, Dg are all interesting takes on removing part of the game for power and ease of learning.

*lies lies lies

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel stat spreads are really misleading because HP is just vastly more important than any of the others. Like with -1 apts you just have to put ~20% more xp into things, while with HP you just die more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

rchandra posted:

Yeah, but they lost 4 stat points in order to let/make you do that.
True, but they're highly customizable in terms of stats as a result. You can make a huge beefmonster by going Fi and only leveling Str(not smart, but you can!), you can have enormous int as a blaster, you can have a spread between str/int to cast well in armor, you can mix high int and high dex...

rchandra posted:

These Dg religion gimmicks make me sad though, the species is fundamentally fine and elegant as is.
Strongly, strongly agree. Please don't tack a bunch of gimmicky powers onto Dg. Having less options is exactly what makes demigod interesting, it means you have to rely on and adapt to the random items you find to a degree that you never normally experience in crawl. You can't just finesse or brothers in arms or yred/kiku airdrop a bunch of allies on yourself for minimal investment. That's why demigod is cool. It's a pure, simple crawl experience, and that makes you take advantage of things you wouldn't normally use.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I feel stat spreads are really misleading because HP is just vastly more important than any of the others. Like with -1 apts you just have to put ~20% more xp into things, while with HP you just die more.
This is also true. People get scared of a negative number and don't realize that it doesn't have that big of an impact on the way you play.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

rchandra posted:

Or they could even have sid/1 and no choice levels at all!

I'd play some test games of that.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'd much rather demigods get better apts and character xp (hell I'd be fine with the apts if they had human xp gain) than giving them a demonspawn style ability roulette system.

e: for the record I've played demigods like, twice because they just have way too many drawbacks for their moderate at best advantages.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I kinda love the idea of self-worship stuff but there does seem to be a cohort of “please don’t make this boring andbad race interesting or good, I like the challenge and also hate myself”.

so I like the “rename them to robots” idea and then demigod can denote an actual cool race with a crazy religion gimmick

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

seriously just reflavor demigods as 'constructs' to fit their lack of worship and explain the boosted stats and then let something actually fun happen with the demigod name

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not boring to have less options. more stuff is not always better, when you have really loving strong options like you do with many gods it makes your decision making less varied.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

IronicDongz posted:

it's not boring to have less options
Have you considered joining the official Crawl team?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean my position is, granted, not really normal because I've played this game a fuckton but once you've spent some time speedrunning with the busted stuff because it's so powerful that even when you're playing like an idiot on purpose for time's sake you can still get away with it, it kinda makes it feel pointless. even though I don't really play all that seriously anymore.

like, when people talk about casters being bad in comparison to melee... it's not so much that casting is weak, but that melee+strong god is so so good and so so simple. when you have that option taken away so many spells start to look a lot more enticing, and then you have stats to use them more easily while wearing armor too! it's a whole different kind of decision making, makes it feel like a very different game. demigods are cool.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think there is a pretty fundamental issue with gods as they're implemented in this game. The idea of roguelikes is there's replayability because you get different stuff each time and you have to adapt to it, but there are a bunch of massively powerful gods that you can always take and lean on as your main way to win difficult fights for the entire game. It is a choice, but it's basically the same choice every game.

Dg's design means you have to adapt to and use the books you find to replace the utility you'd otherwise gain from a god. Good stats and flat apts allow you to pick up whatever schools you want. Power level is a separate issue, but if you give a Dg elementalist a try I think you'll find they're not really that weak.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theyre boring

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah I think there is a pretty fundamental issue with gods as they're implemented in this game. The idea of roguelikes is there's replayability because you get different stuff each time and you have to adapt to it, but there are a bunch of massively powerful gods that you can always take and lean on as your main way to win difficult fights for the entire game. It is a choice, but it's basically the same choice every game.

Dg's design means you have to adapt to and use the books you find to replace the utility you'd otherwise gain from a god. Good stats and flat apts allow you to pick up whatever schools you want. Power level is a separate issue, but if you give a Dg elementalist a try I think you'll find they're not really that weak.

I've played DgAE and I've played TeAE^Veh and it's like being a guy rubbing wool socks on a carpet versus being loving Zeus.

I agree with IronicDongz that Dg mostly works as a concept but they could use a bit of an apt boost to be able to take advantage of their stats and what floorgod provides.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

theyre boring

High elves were also voted back in unchanged.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like demigods as they are. I'm totally down for changing their name and doing something else with the idea of a demigod though. Recruiting uniques or something would be a cool gimmick.

The ambrosia idea is cool too.

I'd be down with only guaranteeing 9 altars or something instead of all of them, if that'd help.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
remove the summon xp penalty

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floodkiller posted:

High elves were also voted back in unchanged.

high elves have things they're good at

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd be down with only guaranteeing 9 altars or something instead of all of them, if that'd help.

If this is done I feel that it'd be important to ensure that at least 1 of Oka/Trog's altars spawns and 1 of Kiku/Vehumet/Sif's.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 11, 2018

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i like the simplicity of demigod's design, but the xp penalties are kind of weird

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bring back Grey Elves, maybe I can finally remember what Glamour does

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I get why demigods have an xp modifier but I'd be okay with removing xp modifiers as a whole as it's a poorly communicated relic of D&D that apart from demigods is always -1, 0, or 1.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don’t like limiting god choice, because people being unable to stop themselves from picking the best choice of all things forever is a player issue, not a game issue.

What I’m saying is that you should stop and consume all the purple on every run

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im perfectly ok with the elves being the game's "basically humans but with actual strong/weak apts"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GeneX posted:

I don’t like limiting god choice, because people being unable to stop themselves from picking the best choice of all things forever is a player issue, not a game issue.

agreed on the player issue part and also the eating of purple

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
If you're just going to change the apts and xp gain, they just become humans with higher stats and without the ability to worship a god, which is still boring imo. I won with a demigod a while back and don't have any plans to play one ever again at this point because they are so much more boring than any other race. Modified apts/xp won't change that for me. They need something to make them worth playing. The self-worship idea is worth exploring.

I like the idea of a construct race that can't worship a god, though. Could be interesting depending on how they are implemented.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

All joking aside, I do think keeping (and renaming) current demigods as a challenge race with some minor changes is a good idea, people do appreciate it and versatility + stats in exchange for godlessness and aptitude challenge is a niche nothing else really fits

But the self-worship thing could be a neat racial gimmick for a new race, whether it’s random what you get, you choose it yourself (and maybe mildly anger the god whose domain you’re usurping), or whatever. No other race really plays with gods like that (the closest is probably orcs getting to become evil jesus), and it’s got a lot of interesting design space.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GeneX posted:

imposing limitations on the player is the heart of game design and roguelikes are most fun when both
a). you feel pressed to try your hardest to win(due to the pressures the game puts on you to try and make you lose), and
b). trying your hardest to win is not horribly unfun

if I need to stop myself from using strong stuff in order for the game to be tough... that's just not as fun as the feeling of using everything available to scrounge up a win against all odds.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 11, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
as an aside, let me put something forward: if we take it as a given that really really strong combos should exist as a crutch for new players, aka the "don't nerf trog so new players can get their 1st win more easily" argument(which I'm not totally convinced of but many are), the inverse of that should also apply: weak species/combos should also exist as a challenge for veteran players.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

IronicDongz posted:

as an aside, let me put something forward: if we take it as a given that really really strong combos should exist as a crutch for new players, aka the "don't nerf trog so new players can get their 1st win more easily" argument(which I'm not totally convinced of but many are), the inverse of that should also apply: weak species/combos should also exist as a challenge for veteran players.
And yet the other half of your argument is "but then I can pick a strong god and everything is too easy". Have you considered you might just not actually be very good at restraining yourself?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

seriously just reflavor demigods as 'constructs' to fit their lack of worship and explain the boosted stats and then let something actually fun happen with the demigod name

please

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

imposing limitations on the player is the heart of game design and roguelikes are most fun when both
a). you feel pressed to try your hardest to win(due to the pressures the game puts on you to try and make you lose), and
b). trying your hardest to win is not horribly unfun

... yeah i want to make this post an empty-quote but i double post too much already so, im going to use it to collect demigod suggestions in one place for reference

- leave demigods as-is
- improve demigod apts to human levels or human+1
- give demigods a boosted weapon skill at xl 1and 2 strongly boosted skills at xl 7 and 14
- turn demigods into some kind of construct (overlap w gargoyles?)
- give demigods a randomly chosen divine heritage
- give demigods their own cult of sorts that empowers them or something similar
- give demigods the ability to usurp gods' powers by defiling their altars or something similar
- give demigods the ability to drink ambrosia without confusion, possibly with boosted benefits

personal opinion: one can roughly duplicate the demigod experience by playing a human with an atheist conduct right now. hell, if humans were given the ability to choose where to allocate all their stat ups it wouldn't break them, so why not do that

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GeneX posted:

It's not so much that I don't trust the player not to pick the best one every time, it's that sometimes it might be interesting to be forced to choose among a few options. Maybe you've never answered the question of whether nemelex or kiku is more appropriate for your build before. I think it could be cool.

Trog would always be available by picking Be.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Johnny Joestar posted:

This please. I like this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

... yeah i want to make this post an empty-quote but i double post too much already so, im going to use it to collect demigod suggestions in one place for reference

cool and good options
- give demigods a boosted weapon skill at xl 1and 2 strongly boosted skills at xl 7 and 14
Sounds interesting and fun to play with if maybe OP.
- give demigods the ability to drink ambrosia without confusion, possibly with boosted benefits
Cool and flavorful without being too game-breaking.

no strong opinions
- give demigods their own cult of sorts that empowers them or something similar
- give demigods the ability to usurp gods' powers by defiling their altars or something similar

Defiling altars to grow the power of their self-cult sounds really neat, but only if you can come up with a good concept for the cult that doesn't totally change demigods around. Or...
- turn demigods into some kind of construct (overlap w gargoyles?)
No point in doing this immediately, but I'd support moving them over if a new actually god-flavored race is added (especially one using the above ideas).

big thumbs down
- improve demigod apts to human levels or human+
Just making them flat across-the-board stronger wouldn't do much for the demigodlikers who already play them and think they're good, and wouldn't make them more interesting for the players who don't
- give demigods a randomly chosen divine heritage
Giving them religious powers based on the pre-existing crawlgods seems pretty silly and against the race's concept. Guaranteed earlygame faded altar does mostly the same thing but better and for more races.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah my personal preferences are the boosted skills, ambrosia, and demigod apts being upped to human levels across the board

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's not so much that I don't trust the player not to pick the best one every time, it's that sometimes it might be interesting to be forced to choose among a few options. Maybe you've never answered the question of whether nemelex or kiku is more appropriate for your build before. I think it could be cool.

Trog would always be available by picking Be.
God choice is about the only thing I go into a game predetermined. It is a hugely difining role for characters. I would not like gods being limited per game play. Hell, one of the first things voted on for the GoonCrawl was that Jiyva in temple so you actually can get that option.

Do not limit god spawns. Do not make gods rng. That sounds awful to me to play.

EDIT: Of my 13 full rune wins, seven have been Veh or Trog/Oka to TSO (4 and 3). I went into all the them planning those because its what I wanted to play. I do use the same gods a lot, but that is because I find Veh blaster casters fun as hell.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 11, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Totally down for Jiyva to be one of the gods, though I admit I really liked Jiyva was great as a god of "remove annoying things" and a lot of those annoying things are gone now for everyone.

I think gods not quite being predetermined is kinda part of their thing, as opposed to race or background. You never choose a different god because you find their altar really early? I've had some pretty fun games where I use a god I wouldn't normally because I can get a bunch of piety starting at D:2. My idea was just a thought as to how you might have more of that.

You could increase the guaranteed range to D:12 or something also, so you can still get whoever but it's more of a trade-off. I think it might end up cool.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

You never choose a different god because you find their altar really early
I have, but I still don't want the option of following original god plan off the table just because Sif showed up earlier than Veh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

cool and good options
Sounds interesting and fun to play with if maybe OP.
I agree with your thumbs downs completely. Maybe for this thing it could be like, at each of levels 1, 7, and 14 you get either a boosted magic, weapon, or defense skill, and it's random which one you start with. Honestly I think it would be better on a new race though.

• Locked thread