Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

OwlFancier posted:

I often thought that something fun you could do with food was let hive minds use it to power special structures on planets that have unique effects.

They've kind of already started moving in this direction. Hive Mind edicts cost food (BIOMASS) instead of energy, which is a cool and good step in the right direction but we need more stuff like that to make it interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Before the border rework I thought that perhaps hives could build structures to greatly expand their border projection in exchange for needing worlds of food to power them, making them play quite different from non hive empires as currently there isn't a huge amount that differentiates them other than just not having factions.

I suppose the new version of that would be some kind of "starbase uplink" building that lets you build special modules or buildings on the starbase that have similar spaceborne effects, so a super sensor, multi-system hyperlane registry, big combat auras and the like. You could also just have capital type buildings that add percentage production boosts to the empire.

The idea doesn't quite work as well with the new border system honestly, not sure what would really work with the changes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 10, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

They've kind of already started moving in this direction. Hive Mind edicts cost food (BIOMASS) instead of energy, which is a cool and good step in the right direction but we need more stuff like that to make it interesting.
Oh neato, I haven't hived in 2.0. Genetic Ascendancy really should let you make ships and buildings out of food.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Some sort of beta patch just dropped, I think.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Shadowlyger posted:

The AI is cheating, it pays 50% less on all maintenance costs.

Feel absolutely no shame in cheating back.

imagine admitting that your intellectual playing field is equal to that of an ai

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Splicer posted:

Oh neato, I haven't hived in 2.0. Genetic Ascendancy really should let you make ships and buildings out of food.
"Expanded stellaris traditions" mod has something kinda like that, a tradition tree for hiveminds and genetic-ascension empires that, when finished, unlocks policies to convert food into minerals.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't dislike food since it became a global resource, but it definitely feels inconsequential, and thus superfluous, much of the time. Otoh the full absence of food provides some distinction for machine empires.

I think having to build pops with minerals vs natural growth would be more than enough distinction, no discrete food resource necessary. Sure losing the food based purge types would be a shame, but you could rejigger those to just grant bonus growth instead.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man these pirates are loving ridiculous, they pop up in a system and I go wipe them out. Send in a construction ship to build a starbase and bam, another batch of pirates pops up. I spend way too much time playing whackmole with pirates popping out of thin air everywhere.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

Man these pirates are loving ridiculous, they pop up in a system and I go wipe them out. Send in a construction ship to build a starbase and bam, another batch of pirates pops up. I spend way too much time playing whackmole with pirates popping out of thin air everywhere.

I don't know if it's beta only, but there's a new "piracy risk"-window as part of the government-interface. Sounds like a good idea: If you see the piracy risk shooting up, bam, don't send your construction ship out until the fight is on

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ive been thinking about ringworld and habitats and the idea that you build them with rare minerals under the surface so later generations can mine them up and giggling and cant remember now if it was a random thought that occured to me or if i read that somewhere.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright, new question for the thread...
I am Fanatic Pacifist + Egalitarian. I have 48 pops; my Pacifist faction is somehow down to 11 and the Egalitarian one is the other 37. This is hurting my Influence income because that low% of Pacifists lowers faction happiness below the threshold to earn me more influence. The question I have two fold: How did the Pacifist faction shrink so bad, and how do I get it back up?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What I see the AI doing a lot in regards to tiles and their economy in general are a few things:
-They get stuck in a starvation cycle which tanks their happiness which puts them in an energy deficit which tanks their economy. No energy, no minerals, no food, but at the same time no fail state that lets them restart. If pops actually died from starvation the system might balance out, but since they don't the AI can get 100% perma-stuck. I've found these AI's, given them a bunch of minerals, energy, and food, and watched their whole economy come back to life.

-They can get stuck with a big energy deficit. In a lot of 4X games there's always ways to get more "money" if you have a small shortage. Raise taxes, adjust a slider. In Stellaris if you're built-out yet run a deficit you need to start demolishing buildings and changing the actual physical structure of your empire. But by the time the AI runs into this problem they're out of energy, which shuts down buildings, and now they can't afford to re-build some of those extra farms giving them +20 food into some energy plants. They once again can get totally stuck.

-They don't often seem to re-adapt to new situations. Maybe at one point they were worryingly short on food, or in an energy deficit, and they did manage to build a ton of farms or power plants. Now their empire is "full", it's done and entered a stable state with every planet fully populated, every tile built, but they're sitting at +30 food for their 70 pop empire, or they're producing barely anything because they've covered up a ton of juicy mineral or research tiles with a ton of power plants they maybe don't need anymore.

-They put fleet above all else, which is often a valid survival strategy, but they seem to do this to an extreme and in situations where they could really relax. Like if you're a vassal of a big powerful empire who just gave you 1000 minerals because half your homeworld is undeveloped, maybe don't put 100% of those minerals into ships for a military you don't need and instead do something about your -1 food and unemployed pops. You're safe, you can make the obvious critical long term investments.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am Fanatic Pacifist + Egalitarian. I have 48 pops; my Pacifist faction is somehow down to 11 and the Egalitarian one is the other 37. This is hurting my Influence income because that low% of Pacifists lowers faction happiness below the threshold to earn me more influence. The question I have two fold: How did the Pacifist faction shrink so bad, and how do I get it back up?

Ethos drift is still really weird and a bit of a black box to the player. What can happen sometimes is that the size of the faction ends up being the main attractor for the ethos, which is often the first faction to form. So sometimes in my egalitarian fanatic materialist games I'll notice only about 20% of the pops are in the materialist faction while 80% are in the egalitarian faction despite it being my "secondary" ethos. Why? Because the egalitarian faction formed first, got a head start, built up critical mass, some random poo poo happened, some mysterious triggers and attractions came into play and now ????

You can fix this by supporting the faction you want to see grow. It will take a LONG time, but it will balance out.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

Ethos drift is still really weird and a bit of a black box to the player. What can happen sometimes is that the size of the faction ends up being the main attractor for the ethos, which is often the first faction to form. So sometimes in my egalitarian fanatic materialist games I'll notice only about 20% of the pops are in the materialist faction while 80% are in the egalitarian faction despite it being my "secondary" ethos. Why? Because the egalitarian faction formed first, got a head start, built up critical mass, some random poo poo happened, some mysterious triggers and attractions came into play and now ????

You can fix this by supporting the faction you want to see grow. It will take a LONG time, but it will balance out.

To support one faction do you also have to attack another? Like, if you want your egalitarians to win out over the scientists does that mean you shouldn’t sign scientific research treaties so your nerds won’t get happier?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I remember reading somewhere that outposts are only ever meant to be damaged by hostile forces, is that still the design philosophy? Because a Wraith is killing all my starbases and wasting my influence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

game why

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I tried a game with Gladius AI. Some robots spawned next to me, and I was like ok cool. Then they turned assholes - closed borders, rivaled me, made claims. Suddendly -280 relations - at the start of the game, when the whole galaxy was still empty and ready to be colonized. So instead of peace they really really wanted war. I rushed 14 corvettes and rolled over their homeworld.

There is a chance they could have lived peacefully and survived. But no, they could not do that. I wish I could get some minerals back when deconstructing robots...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, what do you do when someone spawns right next to you? Because I immediately kill them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Enjoy posted:

I remember reading somewhere that outposts are only ever meant to be damaged by hostile forces, is that still the design philosophy? Because a Wraith is killing all my starbases and wasting my influence
The wraith does that. I think it's considered a bug, I think it's a feature.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, what do you do when someone spawns right next to you? Because I immediately kill them.
I make friends if they're people I could like, while quickly grabbing any good systems in between us. It's nice to have a flank you can ignore.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Help a giant red jellyfish is killing my empire, I lured it to a red star like the horrible plant monsters told me to and it still destroyed everything. What's the actual fleet strength of a wraith? Please help my beautiful human pets are dying and it makes me sad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ethics attraction is a bit weird. If you hover over the attraction percentage at the top of the screen, you can see what contributes to your pops picking an ethos. All ethos are more attractive if they're the government ethos, and if your current leader belongs to a faction of that ethos. Outside of that, you get a steady stream of egalitarians for being a democracy, and being allied with egalitarians. In addition both slaves and the downtrodden and those with extra expensive living standards will tend towards Egalitarianism as well. Pacifists are weirdly hard to generate, because the only non-standard bonus they get is a stacking bonus for every 20 years you're at peace, which doesn't kick in for the first 50 years of gameplay for some reason.

Plus, if you're bordering a rival or hostile empire and haven't been at peace long enough, even fanatic pacifist empires will generate more xenophobes than pacifists.

Enjoy posted:

Crises, marauders and leviathans can all destroy outposts, but the wraith is the only leviathan likely to ever do so.

The Deleter posted:

Help a giant red jellyfish is killing my empire, I lured it to a red star like the horrible plant monsters told me to and it still destroyed everything. What's the actual fleet strength of a wraith? Please help my beautiful human pets are dying and it makes me sad.

I think the rule of thumb is ~15k for leviathans. You can probably undershoot it a bit if you've got curator knowledge and deck your fleet to take it on. Does it have shields? Load up on lasers and plasma if it doesn't have shields.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 10, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Deleter posted:

Bring a poo poo load of plasma. I mean NOTHING but plasma, it has no shields, and you can kill it with potentially 6-8k.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

I make friends if they're people I could like, while quickly grabbing any good systems in between us. It's nice to have a flank you can ignore.

Ehhh, I would rather have a flank I can secure and also more territory.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I accidentally killed a sun eater when I loaded up my entire nation's military might into a single giant fuckoff fleet intending to go give these squid faced jerks what-for, but the path finding decided to just go say hi to the sun eating monster instead. So I researched it and it exploded and killed my rental frogman researcher.

So it sucks - because now those squid jerks own that system and my fleet is dead.

Anyway; what I came here to post was a question. How do I make my armies stronger? I finally figured out how to steal planets and I'm determined to take over everything. I just took the warbots civics option - but I don't see many options to just make a better army? And it takes so long to pump out enough dudes to murder a planet of dudes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

OwlFancier posted:

I often thought that something fun you could do with food was let hive minds use it to power special structures on planets that have unique effects.

Food on some of your edicts instead of energy basically means you can run those edicts all the time. Also, heavy food surplus can make a really big difference in pop growth. My hive mind game when growing 1 pop I was getting +6 progress per month. I was literally growing people faster than I could build buildings for them to work.

If you take any of the civs that let you have adaptability instead of diplomacy, you can get really big food/mineral outputs with the "farms provide 1 mineral" unlock. Not only is it +1 mineral per farm (plus other output bonuses), but your adjacency bonus double dips (food AND minerals).

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Nuebot posted:

So I accidentally killed a sun eater when I loaded up my entire nation's military might into a single giant fuckoff fleet intending to go give these squid faced jerks what-for, but the path finding decided to just go say hi to the sun eating monster instead. So I researched it and it exploded and killed my rental frogman researcher.

So it sucks - because now those squid jerks own that system and my fleet is dead.

Anyway; what I came here to post was a question. How do I make my armies stronger? I finally figured out how to steal planets and I'm determined to take over everything. I just took the warbots civics option - but I don't see many options to just make a better army? And it takes so long to pump out enough dudes to murder a planet of dudes.

The old army attachment system is (thankfully) gone but unfortunately there is nothing to take its place. Your only option is to research a better army type, like clones. You can get gene warriors if you choose bio ascension, machine armies with synth stuff, psi armies with psionics, etc but there is no way to buff an individual army any more.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

The old army attachment system is (thankfully) gone but unfortunately there is nothing to take its place. Your only option is to research a better army type, like clones. You can get gene warriors if you choose bio ascension, machine armies with synth stuff, psi armies with psionics, etc but there is no way to buff an individual army any more.

I just started making cloning vats on planets - so I can make clone armies with that? Cool. I was wondering what those actually did. Those squid jerks actually are psionic now so I can't wait to assimilate them and have psionic cyborgs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You know you've been on SA too long when you think the Non Aggression Pact symbol needs a ring.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuebot posted:

Put a general on them. Some researches buff armies or give you new kinds of armies. When you build an army you choose a species to build it from based on who's on the planet you're building it on, species with Strong, Very Strong, or Proles do more damage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah a pretty significant way to improve armies is to build them out of Strong species, though you can only support one army per pop of a species you have in your empire.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah a pretty significant way to improve armies is to build them out of Strong species, though you can only support one army per pop of a species you have in your empire.

I never knew that. Oh well, I'll just make them take over their neighboring planets. I'm loving this game, I had a ton of trouble just figuring out how to play CKII and poo poo - but this game feels so much more intuitive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd say if you're going genemodding it's a very good idea to have at least one species that is as strong as you can make them and also has resiliant, and then resettle them to man all your fortresses and planetary capitals, because then you get extremely good defensive armies and you can also use them to recruit assault armies everywhere too.

You can also use robots to staff buildings which generate defense armies and you'll get robotic ones which have their own advantages such as not being susceptible to morale damage, good if you're fighting psychics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've been very light on defense so far. My strategy mostly relies on like, positioning my fleets defensively and just loving up invaders with my territorial buffs, then going in and taking their systems and calling for peace. I assume sooner or later someone much stronger is going to get mad and just everything I own.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

:toot: Ironman done. Would have stopped this game earlier if I wasn't fishing for achievements. I wish in the end game there was someway to increase influence faster, I spent alot of time just waiting for it to build up so I could make claims.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Do clone armies have a timer attached to them so they all die after a decade or two?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just play assimilators then the only "claim" you need is the loving embrace of the Best Friends Coalition. Named the colossus "SS Making Friends".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Claims seem to be a very weird and frustrating system. I really wish there was a better way to go about it? Because like. If I steal territory from a dude in war, that poo poo should be mine even if I forgot to check a little box saying I formally claim this place as mine.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Bring a poo poo load of plasma. I mean NOTHING but plasma, it has no shields, and you can kill it with potentially 6-8k.

Lol I'm nowhere near 6k, FML. Hitting restart on that save then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SOMEONE WANTS TO DIE BADLY.