Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

xy had one of the best selections of pokemon in the series but it was pretty light on content. the post game might as well not have existed

Playing detective with Looker in Lumiose City was the best part of the game for me. I would play a whole Pokemon game that was nothing but that.

XY had pretty weak characters and plot. The gym leaders were mostly forgettable, except for Valerie and her creepy eyes. I think I'm the only one who didn't like the Pokemon selection, because I felt it was too heavily swayed towards old Pokemon. I had a difficult time finding the new Pokemon to use for my team. It was a small generation, and the new Pokemon had low encounter rates for some reason. I had to get a friend to give me a Dedenne because I just could not find them in the wild. I also didn't see a Pumpkaboo or a Phantump until the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

All the Pokemon gens are good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Every gen should just start with a version where it's mainly new monsters and one where it's mainly old ones. And one where it turns out everything is just disguised Mimikyus

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

McDragon posted:

And one where it turns out everything is just disguised Mimikyus

Gonna tell my uncle at GameFreak about this idea.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Every route felt designed with the trainers in mind, and the level curve is excellent if you can manage the exp share properly.

What? The level curve in XY is absolute poo poo and only barely better than Gen 2's. You either end up horribly over or underlevelled depending on whether you turn on easy mode (Exp Share) or not, with no middle point beyond playing in a very esoteric way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaze Dragon posted:

What? The level curve in XY is absolute poo poo and only barely better than Gen 2's. You either end up horribly over or underlevelled depending on whether you turn on easy mode (Exp Share) or not, with no middle point beyond playing in a very esoteric way.

No? If you turn it off you have a really normal EXP curve. Its probably the best overall in the series.

SuMo would be except for Poni being a huge fuckoff level spike for no reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I turned off EXP share and was ~6-10 levels under all the elite 4 mons, and still won on my first try going in blind

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you stay pretty much exactly on par with the npc's until you beat the second gym with exp share on. then the curve breaks and your level skyrockets above everything

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ive said it before but they should just balance the game with you getting absurdly high levels in mind. being like level 80-90 at the elite 4 is badass and that still leaves room for the post game to go higher

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Who do I talk to to get no cutscene mode in Pokemon, I picked up Ultra Moon and I'm just mashing the A button

in addition I'm kinda bummed it's the same game as Moon instead of a sequel like Black 2

I get the naming implies it, but still

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Picking my Ultra Sun back up after going on break for a bit... the post-game stops being fun if you don't give breaks, at least in my experience. I finally found the Ultra World with Kartana, so I'm pretty happy with that!

EDIT: Also I really need to breed a bunch of syncronize abras with different natures.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I didn't use the Exp Share once in XY. I was so underlevelled repels stopped working because even the wild Pokemon were stronger than me. It was a bit rough and Siebold's Clawitzer nearly destroyed me with its coverage. Battles are a lot less fun when you need to 2HKO the enemy with your STAB super effective attack before they 2HKO you with their super effective coverage move. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but Pokemon games are always easy when you send out the Pokemon that's super effective against the enemy and just spam your strongest moves. I bet some of you used your free Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X and wondered why the game was so easy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Crosspeice posted:

I didn't use the Exp Share once in XY. I was so underlevelled repels stopped working because even the wild Pokemon were stronger than me. It was a bit rough and Siebold's Clawitzer nearly destroyed me with its coverage. Battles are a lot less fun when you need to 2HKO the enemy with your STAB super effective attack before they 2HKO you with their super effective coverage move. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but Pokemon games are always easy when you send out the Pokemon that's super effective against the enemy and just spam your strongest moves. I bet some of you used your free Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard X and wondered why the game was so easy.
Er, are you trying to say pokemon games are always easy when you do the basic effort of playing the game properly? 'Pokemon typing' and 'strong moves' is the most basic level of strategy.

That said, if you really try to optimize your team things are going to get easy, but a certain level of difficulty is nice for even a casual run. I'm not saying it's got to be difficult, but USUM hit the balance really well, I think.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PetraCore posted:

'Pokemon typing' and 'strong moves' is the most basic level of strategy.

These games are meant to be played by small children

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think there's a lot of factors: movepools being incredibly less poo poo, coverage and TMs being more available, power creep in not only Pokemon, but also mechanics like Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, all combine to make the single player campaign, which has always been piss easy and mindnumbing, even easier since attacking constantly hard and fast is the easiest way to get through it. Add everyone growing up and being less poo poo at a kids game and usually having knowledge of what a Pokemon can do at a basic level due to the much larger marketing machines showing everything off before a game comes out and it definitely feels like the games are easier.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

XY is definitely peak easy for the franchise. No one has an acceptable amount of Pokemon, the Exp Share shatters the game and the level curve is painfully bad, you're given an "I win" button in Mega Evolution that a whole three trainers in the entire game use, one being the tutorial for it...

I'm glad SM added Totems and USUM had Ultra Necrozma for something of a challenge, combined with a better exp curve and many trainers using Z-Moves.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

These games are meant to be played by small children
Yes and as a small child I tried (kinda badly) to type correctly and I spammed the strongest moves I could. Strategy was not really a thing except for 'hits harder'.

I don't mind the games being fairly easy as a default, if you want it to be really hard you could do a monotype run or artificially restrict yourself in other ways. My problem with X and Y is that with the exp share on you massively overlevel, but I consider the exp share making you overlevel to be kind of the intent. It's just an issue of scale for me.

That said I've been playing the games long enough to have a pretty poor grasp of what a totally fresh player will be experiencing. I'm sure there's much smarter and more aware people at gamefreak trying to decide difficulty levels.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Crosspeice posted:

I think there's a lot of factors: movepools being incredibly less poo poo, coverage and TMs being more available, power creep in not only Pokemon, but also mechanics like Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, all combine to make the single player campaign, which has always been piss easy and mindnumbing, even easier since attacking constantly hard and fast is the easiest way to get through it. Add everyone growing up and being less poo poo at a kids game and usually having knowledge of what a Pokemon can do at a basic level due to the much larger marketing machines showing everything off before a game comes out and it definitely feels like the games are easier.
Oh, but that was my point. I think Gen VII has balanced that a lot better to the point that it was much more enjoyable for me as a hardened (but still kinda bad relative to experienced players who know the metagame) player than Gen VI was. And of Gen VI, oras did a better job than X and Y in my opinion. I can still breeze through X and Y when I'm not grinding at all and I'm not trying to balance my team. Even with my experience, there should be something that was more exciting there, and the fact that the gym fights at the least weren't it doesn't speak well for the balancing.

I definitely, definitely do not play Pokemon games for the challenge of it, but I think it's fair to discuss better or worse instances of balancing the exp curve and difficulty with the fact the games are supposed to be beatable by a newbie player loading their team up with whatever they think is coolest and not caring about stats.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Yes and as a small child I tried (kinda badly) to type correctly and I spammed the strongest moves I could. Strategy was not really a thing except for 'hits harder'. .

and i as a small child had a charizard with 4 fire moves that i used evenly cuz of the fear that i'd run out of PP for any move. Pokemon has a good motive for making both of us able to win the game (the motive is money)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
XY's level curve is great, and the amount of pokemon and their variety lead to a ton of great battles. I do agree it comes with drastic, violent caveats that most aren't aware of in their first run:

1) EXP. Share needs to be turned on only as needed, preferably early on when you are trying to figure out your team and are rotating often.
2) Mega Evolution is an instant win button for every single battle.
3) No "boss" encounter will ever be satisfying. (sans maybe E4 if you're underlevelled enough)

And it's super fair if someone saying that those elements of game design that were intended to be used do make the game lovely. They are a part of the game, but to me it's just a pair of switches you can flip to get to the good experience, and a part of the design made to cut out all tension.

I'll poo poo on every single other aspect of XY, tho. If I didn't enjoy the routes so much, i'd be mad. And I am kinda mad at how they peter out into tiny lines by the last quarter. And how the closest thing to a 6-pokemon trainer battle is when the friend group gangs up on you... ...and heals you about halfway through.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PetraCore posted:

Yes and as a small child I tried (kinda badly) to type correctly and I spammed the strongest moves I could. Strategy was not really a thing except for 'hits harder'.

I don't mind the games being fairly easy as a default, if you want it to be really hard you could do a monotype run or artificially restrict yourself in other ways. My problem with X and Y is that with the exp share on you massively overlevel, but I consider the exp share making you overlevel to be kind of the intent. It's just an issue of scale for me.

That said I've been playing the games long enough to have a pretty poor grasp of what a totally fresh player will be experiencing. I'm sure there's much smarter and more aware people at gamefreak trying to decide difficulty levels.

The original games wouldn't even tell you how powerful moves were! You had to buy the player's guide for that. Starting in either Gen 2 or Gen 3, you could look at a move summary and that would actually give you a general description of the move as well as its base power.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Manatee Cannon posted:

xy had one of the best selections of pokemon in the series but it was pretty light on content. the post game might as well not have existed
That's basically every first game of every generation, though. If that hypothetical Pokemon Z had been made, people would probably be singing a different tune about Gen VI...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The exp share is like a non-poo poo version of the hard and easy modes in BW2. Leave it off for hard mode, on for easy. Or have parties of more or fewer than six pokémon, I suppose. For anything in between, you can turn it on and off as needed.

Crosspeice posted:

Man, one of my favorite things in XY is that you can look that free Lucario straight in the eyes, tell it no thanks, and leave it at the top of that tower forever.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I liked Gen 6 more for the major gameplay additions/changes it brought to the series than the games themselves, and Gen 7 builds on that, so I feel like Gen 7 is just strictly better in every way. I doubt I'll ever want to play X/Y or (especially) OR/AS again, and with Pokemon Bank letting you port stuff straight from gen 5 to 7, I don't feel compelled to hang onto any of them just in case like with previous Pokemon generations.

I wish they would just add a harder difficulty setting like they did in B/W 2—not that I ever played it myself, since you needed to complete B/W 1 to even access it. As it is, since Gen 5, I've just been making arbitrary challenges for myself to keep the main game engaging, like no item use in battles and basing my party composition on Smogon's tier lists. But even that's usually not enough.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gen N-1 is the worst and N-2 is the best. Update N as more games come out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While not a true solo, I did beat the entirety of Heart Gold/Soul Silver with only my starter doing any moves in battle so in conclusion it is the best one in the franchise actual mechanics be damned.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The main reason why Pokémon games are generally made to be "easy" is due to the persistent idea that "With Pokémon teams, there's literally no wrong choice". Not to mention that it would be unfair to players who were unlucky with the RNG and the Pokémon they've chosen have low IVs, bad natures and other undesirable traits.

There's also the idea that some fans treat the main campaign of Pokémon more as more of a stepping stone towards battling other people. That's probably the reason why they tweaked breeding and leveling up in Gen 6 so you can easily breed a maxed out IVed death machine with the tools they provide you (Power items, Destiny Knot, Friend Safari...). Gen 6's story was kinda lame because that wasn't the intended focus.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

While not a true solo, I did beat the entirety of Heart Gold/Soul Silver with only my starter doing any moves in battle so in conclusion it is the best one in the franchise actual mechanics be damned.

I beat Ruby with just Mudkip, and legit just Mudkip up until the Double gym bc you actually can't do the fight with only one pokemon

so for that single battle i had a level 5 zigzagoon hanging out

probably my favorite play-thru of ruby ever, turns out Swampert learns every hidden move you need to actually get thru the game

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Did that newsletter with the Regigias code ever go out?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wait until the halfway point of the month.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Speaking of newbies, my friend is getting into Pokemon. I'm breeding up a bunch of pokemon whose designs I like to trade to him in... Sun? Moon? Can't remember which version he has but it's not really relevant. He wants the natures randomized and no real effort spent on the IVs.

Any suggestions? So far I'm definitely doing Mimikyu, Elgyem, Dewpider, Wimpod, Sableye, and Jangmo-o.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Rotom, Mareanie and an egg which he will later discover contains a Phione.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know since he doesn't really care about the stats, Phione isn't a bad idea.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Speaking of newbies, my friend is getting into Pokemon. I'm breeding up a bunch of pokemon whose designs I like to trade to him in... Sun? Moon? Can't remember which version he has but it's not really relevant. He wants the natures randomized and no real effort spent on the IVs.

Any suggestions? So far I'm definitely doing Mimikyu, Elgyem, Dewpider, Wimpod, Sableye, and Jangmo-o.

Cottonee, Cinccino, Litwick, Helioptile, Noibat, Tyrunt.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

komala

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Swablu, Alola-Vulpix, Houndour

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Goomy and Joltik and Klank (or whatever the name is, the gear thing)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

McDragon posted:

(or whatever the name is, the gear thing)

Magearna

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Sigilyph, Archen, Venipede, Oranguru, Starly, Sneasel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ey....have some cute fakemons.

https://www.facebook.com/50shadesofHeliolisk/