Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Please, please build Dinosaurs and run over all of his fields with Ultimate Conductor Tyranno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
When you flip all his poo poo upside down and auto kill it will he say that's cheating? How deep into the season 1 yugioh fantasy is he?

e: If he can accept xyzs and synchros, make him noble knights. A strong and manly deck for him. Or maybe Battlin' Boxers. MANLY PUNCH MUSCLES!
ee: My Yoke has 3600 ATK bro, how you gonna get over that? BROOKLYN RAAAAGE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM9tyNkUAg

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 7, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Similarly Dino-Mists would probably be a good cheap way to introduce him to Pendulum Summoning

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Weirdly enough, he might know about pendulum summoning as his latest idea was a Winged Dragon of Ra pendulum deck. I don't know much about pendulums, so maybe that IS a thing, but it seems like it'd be really easy to stop it before it ever got going, and he's the type where if his first idea doesn't work, he immediately gets disheartened and folds.

My friend and I talked about it, and I might go for a Black Luster Soldier deck for him. It's old enough to probably be familiar, he already probably knows how ritual summoning works, and it seems "strong" enough for his tastes.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m going on a business trip next week that will involve lots of sitting in busses and planes. Like 20+ hours worth. So I thought I’d pick up some of the Yugioh PSP titles for the trip. I’ve never played Yugioh before but I love card games and I’ve heard the PSP versions are pretty good.

But there’s 6 of em and I can’t pick. I’m also worried about being too much of a newbie to enjoy them.

Which game is best? I’ve heard 1 has tutorial classes for learning the game, but 4-5-6 have more characters/cards/features.

Also is it possible for a newbie to get by making my own decks just based on cards that catch my eye or am I going to need to follow recipes to not get stomped? How easy is it to think up a deck from scratch in this game?

Any newbie tips would be greatly appreciated.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Getsuya posted:

Also is it possible for a newbie to get by making my own decks just based on cards that catch my eye or am I going to need to follow recipes to not get stomped? How easy is it to think up a deck from scratch in this game?

I learned from playing the demo for, I think it was called Duelist Legacy for the PS4, and that was enough to get the basics down, so if you've got Access to a PS4, I'd just learn from that demo and get the game with the most cards.

When it comes to building decks, since you're playing against AI, you SHOULD be fine. Basically, for now just focus on finding cards you like and then finding other cards that support, protect, or help you get that one out. If you still feel like you need help, there's a wiki that has a tip section for every card and about a million YouTube videos out there that'll give you ideas for decks.

That being said, the best way to get better at building decks is to just play a bunch and see what works and what doesn't.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Sometimes the best way to teach a player that's set in their old ways is a good old serving of beating them with everything they don't understand. Play with your hand revealed, talk out the duel with him. Show him exactly what you're doing, explain how he can't stop it, then point out how his deck could have stopped it, or how the card he drew couldn't help him.

Does he learn more by talking or by doing? Or is it both?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel like i could beat this dude with my idiot deskbot deck.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Duel Links is releasing a sylvan/insect-based minipack.

Insect is one of those archetypes along with Rock I feel never got enough love. There's just something inherently cool about cards like Doom Dozer.

Also,

I can't wait to run this guy in a 20-card deck.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 9, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Weirdly enough, he might know about pendulum summoning as his latest idea was a Winged Dragon of Ra pendulum deck. I don't know much about pendulums, so maybe that IS a thing, but it seems like it'd be really easy to stop it before it ever got going, and he's the type where if his first idea doesn't work, he immediately gets disheartened and folds.

this would have worked before the new rules for link summoning. well, it would have worked 1 in 10 games, but man that one game would have felt good...as long as the opponent didn't have removal

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Onmi posted:

Does he learn more by talking or by doing? Or is it both?

I'm not really sure because he's one of those people who won't do ANYTHING until he comes up with it himself. For example, we'll tell him a million times about a show or game he'd love and he'll brush us off until six months later he "discovers" the thing on his own and be super into it about six months later and acts like we never suggested he'd like it.

I'm still hopeful though. Like I said, for the most part he's a good player when he's got the right cards (even though he misreads cards a lot and is obsessed with Card Destruction even though it's banned), and he's been uncharacteristically open-minded as of late.

Last week we were playing a quick game before he had to run an errand, and I was letting things play out with my Kaiju/Graydle deck to see what his strategies were and to let him get an idea how he was sabotaging himself with his deck. After a while he started worrying about making his appointment on time and asked if we could hurry up, so I just let loose and beat him on my next turn. Later on he texted me telling me he's impressed how quickly I had become better than him even though he's been playing forever.

It doesn't sound like much, but it's a huge step forward for him.

^^
I kind of figured as much, but that's kind of what he leans towards, strategies that either work great IF you draw every card you'd need turn one and your opponent can't stop it, or blow up and make you lose turn one.

Biff Rockgroin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 9, 2018

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Sylvans with Aroma Strategy :getin:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Anyone else having trouble finding a Kaiba collection box? Target, Walmart, and my local store are sold out. The place I usually play at has them for $50, and they're going for $45 on Amazon :negative:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, people are scalping this set to hell and back, so good luck finding them on the cheep.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Me researching Tag Force 4 before playing: 'Partner up with Crow, get a Blackwings (or something like that) deck and beat up kids until you have the DP to spread out'... Nahh I hate just following guides so I'll figure out a good deck on my own.

Me after an hour of playing Tag Force 4: So which kids am I supposed to beat up? The one who makes everything go out of the game instead of into the graveyard and every time that happens he gets 500 life, so by the end of the duel he had 30,000 LP? Or the girl who Zerg rushed me with zombies? Or the one who just nerfed all my dudes then killed me with beatsticks? C'mere Crow teach me about these Blackwing things

To be fair my first few duels were extremely informative about how things work, and now I think I have a pretty good understanding of how to play the game. What I don't yet have an understanding is wtf the win condition for the starter deck is supposed to be. Maybe 'hope your opponent just doesn't do anything for a few turns so whatever random monsters you can cobble together can hit them in the face a few times'

Really nice game, though. Quick and flashy and I like that every single character is voiced. The art viewer for the cards is awesome too.

Edit: Though having voices is an iffy trade off for everything being in Japanese. Yugioh is the one example I can think of in which the Japanese is longer than the English. They really, really need to think up shorter ways to say everything.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 11, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I haven't played any of the Tag Force game, but I'm assuming that in typical Yugioh game fashion, the starter deck is absolute dreck.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^Yes,but not nearly as bad as the gba games where you'd get crappy vanillas, usually they'd at least have a theme like beast or water.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

I haven't played any of the Tag Force game, but I'm assuming that in typical Yugioh game fashion, the starter deck is absolute dreck.

That is probably Duel Links biggest flaw, how awful the default decks are for any character when you unlock them, many of them are so mediocre that they don't have any spells or traps and/or only have like 1 monster over 1400 in either stat

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gonna give a special shout-out to Legacy of the Duelist for giving you a halfway decent starter deck AND enough extra cards starting out that you can build something significantly better with several different deck styles to choose from, AND not putting you up against crazy powerful duelists right from the start.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Dexie posted:

The main problem is they give you 1 copy of each card so it’s too random for any strategy. There are the seeds of a good deck in there, but it’ll take a few packs before it’s actually useable and not just pure luck based.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bit late to the discussion and I’m not personally sure of the actual opportunity to make them in real life but it’s terrible that no one suggested Ancient Gear as a deck for your friend, Biff Rockgroin. It’s GX so it’s old school. It’s big dumb beaters who literally turn off spell/trap when they swing, sometimes monster effects. It’s not actually weakened by links because you usually only need one of the fusions a lot of the time anyway. They’re visibly powerful with simple game plans and states.

Also Chaos Giant is the best card in the game hands down. 4500 piercing attack everything beater says hello, and then goodbye. Ancient Gear are the true OTK beatdown Machine Dream Team.

Like, the entire deck screams gently caress this new poo poo I’m just going to beat your face in, and they clown on a lot of meta decks when played well by being very hard to actually stop when they make their move.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Holy crap Tag Force is great! Especially for trips. I played it for 6 hours straight on the plane. Once you start winning and can buy packs and start expanding your decks it’s easy to get totally lost in it. Right now I’m trying to research either a good Umi deck or Ice Barrier deck. I think I’ll move to Wind next after I’m done with Water (the starting deck is Water)

My one gripe is it seems random when anyone will partner with me. I’ve had two characters join me one day then turn me down the next, and Crow won’t return my calls at all.

But man this is the kind of game I could easily dump a hundred hours into.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Sylvans with Aroma Strategy :getin:

Sensational. Also likely the same thought everybody had with Sylvans.

Getsuya posted:

Holy crap Tag Force is great! Especially for trips. I played it for 6 hours straight on the plane. Once you start winning and can buy packs and start expanding your decks it’s easy to get totally lost in it. Right now I’m trying to research either a good Umi deck or Ice Barrier deck. I think I’ll move to Wind next after I’m done with Water (the starting deck is Water)

My one gripe is it seems random when anyone will partner with me. I’ve had two characters join me one day then turn me down the next, and Crow won’t return my calls at all.

But man this is the kind of game I could easily dump a hundred hours into.

Which Tag Force? I know in 5 you can choose your partner by basically getting heart ranks and levels high enough. You're free to deny any you don't want and if you want someone to join you, pay 500 DP to Blister (sp?) to put a tracker on the partner you want to ally up with. As for Ice Barriers....eh...it's not duel links. Unless you get good Synchros, they're not great in the real game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Imagine if Konami had Bushiroad's balls.

You feeling nostalgic? Here, the new Yu-Gi-Oh! series is literally the first series again, but reanimated! Also we're errataing all the old cards so we don't have to think of new ones! Also no Extra Deck anymore.

Also imagine if we still had a Vanguard thread so I could post that there instead of having to link it with the other card game anime, sigh. Though I can't say I'm not wondering about what a YGO reboot of that level would be like.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Tactless Ogre posted:

Sensational. Also likely the same thought everybody had with Sylvans.

Which Tag Force? I know in 5 you can choose your partner by basically getting heart ranks and levels high enough. You're free to deny any you don't want and if you want someone to join you, pay 500 DP to Blister (sp?) to put a tracker on the partner you want to ally up with. As for Ice Barriers....eh...it's not duel links. Unless you get good Synchros, they're not great in the real game.

It’s 4.

And thanks for the tip about Ice Barrier. I’ll probably go with the Legendary Ocean deck then until I can get Frogs which are the actual ultimate Water deck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

You feeling nostalgic? Here, the new Yu-Gi-Oh! series is literally the first series again, but reanimated! Also we're errataing all the old cards so we don't have to think of new ones! Also no Extra Deck anymore.

I mean, I wouldn't mind that first part, kind of.

A remake of the Duel Monsters anime that's closer to the manga and cuts out all the ridiculous amounts of filler from the later half of the series would be nice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

I mean, I wouldn't mind that first part, kind of.

A remake of the Duel Monsters anime that's closer to the manga and cuts out all the ridiculous amounts of filler from the later half of the series would be nice.

Reminds me of am idea I had for a new Yugioh video game, it'd be a full adaptation of the original series(including R and the Anime only portions alongside all of the main manga), although that did leave me thinking how best to handle the early parts prior to Duel Monsters becoming the focus, in the end I figured the best way was to just have whatever game or challenge was in the original chapter be replaced with a standard duel, more than enough archetypes in the game these days to fill up the ranks and still have most characters using a unique deck type

Although in a bit of a twist I'd probably change up most characters decks to better reflect the actual game from the beginning rather than how most games in the franchise just have characters use decks that are absolutely abysmal by real world standards, which works better in an anime or manga than it does in anything actually interactive

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What I found silly was all the made up cards. Does the anime inspire the game or vice versa? Then again I also want all archetypes to have legacy support and be competitive so I'm loving delusional.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'd love for them to do an anime season that is like 90% faithful to the real game and it's rules, with the only fantastical elements present at all are the holography tech, and Duel Monsters being treated as something mainstream in popularity on the level of a major sport

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Does the anime inspire the game or vice versa?

The anime comes first, and cards are adapted from it selectively. Of course some cards are more obviously made to be printed and some are obviously situational garbage that will never exist outside of the 5 minutes around the time its played.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And every now and then, you get a card that references something dumb from the anime that they printed just for shits and giggles.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Not every card comes from the anime; I would say most of the Main booster sets do but the other booster sets are all original as far as I know. If I'm wrong someone please refer me to the episode with the Magical Musketeers :swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It’s about half and half, really.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

https://ygorganization.com/thesorceressofsummonsbyviz/

Guess who just signed up for a year of weeb magazines

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://twitter.com/ygorganization/status/979124798558220288

NOBLE KNIGHT AND NEO SPACIAN SUPPORT

A CRYPTOZOOLOGY ARCHETYPE!?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I am extremely on board for a Cryptid/Kaiju hybrid deck

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is there a story that goes with the sets in this game

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's no big overarching lore like in magic but usually most of the non-anime themes in main sets are connected by one of a couple of different storylines.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They have a dedicated storyline (which has ended), called duel terminal, that they rebooted every few major releases as part of an instory cycle, which is cool since things from the previous cycle reappear in weird forms, two groups may merge into one in the new cycle, or a new group appears and their opposite also appears at the same time. Though there is one character that has reappeared multiple times, and is one of my more favorite cards for it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

For April Fools, Duel Links had an event where a bunch of Tristan clones would show up and if you tried to duel them they'd instantly lose. It was kind of funny.

But true fans know that the real April Fool was the PVP rewards update including this: