Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I understand that many older games have some QoL issues that make them hard to get in for more recent gamers (or at least more recent then the NES era) but to assume that makes all these stone cold classic amazing games bad is just lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

When my dad gave me all my old NES stuff in the attic back in like 2010 I literally kicked myself in the rear end when I realized kid me tossed the box and manual for Little Samson.

I dare anyone to say they've done something dumber as a kid (please don't say anything depressing)

A comic book store sold an entire binder of old Magic cards (revised, Arabian nights, legends) that I accidentally left there and I accepted compensation in the form of unopened Fallen Empires boosters

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I understand that many older games have some QoL issues that make them hard to get in for more recent gamers (or at least more recent then the NES era) but to assume that makes all these stone cold classic amazing games bad is just lunacy.

It's the equivalent of dismissing silent/b&w movies...shameful imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I owned and regularly played a virtual boy when I was 4

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

I owned and regularly played a virtual boy when I was 4

my brother had one and the Wario Land game for it loving ruled, kinda hosed up they never ported it to 3DS tbh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

River Raid is still one of the most tightly, perfectly designed shmups ever made

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

When my dad gave me all my old NES stuff in the attic back in like 2010 I literally kicked myself in the rear end when I realized kid me tossed the box and manual for Little Samson.

I dare anyone to say they've done something dumber as a kid (please don't say anything depressing)

I sold my nes and games for pennies because i wanted to buy a dog and then my parents changed their minds and i got nothing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I never noticed this before but the final boss theme of LISA: The Joyful kinda sounds like the final boss theme of Drakengard 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Mj28P2RJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axT_RojfaRs

Speaking of final boss themes, I finished Persona 2 (Innocent Sin) and Hitler's fight theme is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFrprd130U

As someone who didn't grow up playing old games and thus has no nostalgia for them, there's definitely some that are worth wrestling with for one reason or another.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

In Training posted:

But movies only had one citizen kane and we get multiple every year in video games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Correct. Grh ur on fire lately. Nes has a lot of stinkers but also a lot of great games in the genres that did turn out to work well in 8 bit.

The games that dont age well imo are a majority of the licensed cash ins, the ones pushing now woefully outdated but then cutting edge tech over gameplay, etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kickle cubicle, you philistines

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

kickle cubicle, you philistines

Kickle Cubicle is so loving good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the fallacy of "games aging badly" must be destroyed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some games endure better than others, I don't really see how that is arguable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

it is us that have aged badly, is my argument

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Speak for yourself, I look awesome and my gaming skills are better than ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Bad games were always bad and good games are always good...time has nothing to do with it

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I sold my nes and games for pennies because i wanted to buy a dog and then my parents changed their minds and i got nothing.

this explains a lot

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

homeless snail posted:

it is us that have aged badly, is my argument

Or maybe we just developed good taste

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
By the way, I bought another Sonic Youth record and it was just noise!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Bad games were always bad and good games are always good...time has nothing to do with it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

That's not really true, like there are many games that were novel and great in their time that I would not recommend to people today just because they are too clunky to be enjoyable for anyone who wasn't imprinted with them at a young age.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah and citizen kane is boring as poo poo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

precision posted:

By the way, I bought another Sonic Youth record and it was just noise!!!

so it was a standard Sonic Youth record, I see

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

homeless snail posted:

You picked a really bad example for this flawed argument because Citizen Kane moves very briskly, in fact that's one of the strongest things about it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Example of a once-good game that’s now bad: [your favourite childhood game]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fritz lang? haha I love that guy on the howard stern show bababooey

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kickle Cubicle is so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIspxWXeC2M

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

homeless snail posted:

fritz lang? haha I love that guy on the howard stern show bababooey

The fact that you are naming classic movies and directors that have remained culturally relevant over the mountains of cruft that was celebrated in its time but has since been forgotten is proof within itself that certain works age more poorly than others and that there is no objective standard of quality. To use your bad strawman example, do you know what won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1942? Not Citizen Kane. Not The Little Foxes. Not The Maltese Falcon. A little film called How Green Was My Valley, do you remember that one?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

This is hosed up

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

That's not really true, like there are many games that were novel and great in their time that I would not recommend to people today just because they are too clunky to be enjoyable for anyone who wasn't imprinted with them at a young age.
This, good games can age super bad because of gameplay mechanics, i.e. the first two Fallouts' mechanics haves aged like poo poo and to me are unplayable as someone who never played them as a kid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The fact that you are naming classic movies and directors that have remained culturally relevant over the mountains of cruft that was celebrated in its time but has since been forgotten is proof within itself that certain works age more poorly than others and that there is no objective standard of quality. To use your bad strawman example, do you know what won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1942? Not Citizen Kane. Not The Little Foxes. Not The Maltese Falcon. A little film called How Green Was My Valley, do you remember that one?

I think he's trolling

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish I could get into the original XCOMs, but they’re pretty impenetrable

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Actually Pikmin 2 is still amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't know if Pilotwings 64 is still amazing today but gently caress I want a new Pilotwings. Give me a new Pilotwings. Right now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I can't believe you would say that about my favorite childhood game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

A comic book store sold an entire binder of old Magic cards (revised, Arabian nights, legends) that I accidentally left there and I accepted compensation in the form of unopened Fallen Empires boosters

MtG crowd is so gross. I’ve seen grown rear end men snatch errant binders from children when their backs were turned.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jay Rust posted:

I wish I could get into the original XCOMs, but they’re pretty impenetrable

The last time I went for a classic XCOM playthrough the aliens actually somehow found and invaded my base within like 2 game months. Not only were all of my soldiers woefully incompetent and poorly equipped, but they had no defense at all against psionics so they ended up killing each other and/or running away so it was game over.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I just wanna play some Monster Hunter and drink beer but instead I have to entertain my in-laws for the weekend :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/972570691127066624

• Locked thread